Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Fair play to Kolasinac waiving half his salary if true. Can't say I'd do the same if I were in his shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Interesting from Calciomercato claiming that Real Madrid are seeking to terminate the Ceballos loan deal as they have a sale agreed with AC Milan

I wouldn't shed a tear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Kallstrom in 2014

Arsenal hero !

https://theshortfuse.sbnation.com/2020/4/8/21213647/kim-kallstrom-arsenal-wigan-fa-cup-penalty-lets-remember-some-guys#:~:text=Kim%20Kallstrom%20described%20scoring%20a,will%20always%20be%20a%20Gooner.
    I hear Wenger shouting in French: ‘Kim, do you take penalties?’ ‘Yeah, I’d be glad to take one.’ ‘Good. You’re second.’ I decide early where to shoot it. When I walk alone to the spot, in a stadium with three times as many spectators as there are inhabitants of my hometown, Sandviken, I must suppress my smile. It’s a long way to walk across the pitch. I’m relaxed - perhaps happy. I put the ball on the spot.

Now, I just have to back up and find the right distance to the ball, run up, and strike the ball hard and high to the left. Just do what I usually do, what I know, and always have done. I’ve done it a thousand times before, and there’s no nervousness. The keeper goes early, in the opposite direction of where I had decided to put it.

When I watch the penalty on Youtube, the feelings return. The calm and the joy, but I’m surprised where the ball ended up. The ball ended up in the lower left corner, opposite of how I remembered it. I had decided to put it high to the left, but I remembered it as I actually put it low to the right. I’m confused, but the ball ended up in the net.

We won the final and we’re praised by over 200,000 supporters on the streets of London.

Although my contribution was small in the 120-year history of the club, it was a highlight for me. The greatest 15 minutes of my life, and it turns out I don’t remember what happened. Where was I in that deciding moment? Trance, shock, delirium, coma, nervous breakdown, call it whatever you want.

The only thing I know for sure is that sports and football are incomprehensible. That’s why we love it. As long as that penalty continues to end up in the net, my experience is true. I’m sure of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I’d still love to know the true story behind his banishment.

So would I.

Will be even more interesting to know when he goes to Spurs and wins a league with them :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Arsenal legend Liam Brady: "I don't blame Arteta over Ozil. He gave Ozil plenty of chances & he performed for a couple of months. Ozil just reverted back to type. He's not a good guy in the dressing room, he's not a good guy on the pitch. I've no problem with Mikel bombing him."

Brady as a player is indeed an Arsenal legend and is the reason I support Arsenal, however Brady the pundit/manager/judge, the less said the better!

This is the man who only two weeks ago reckoned that Arsenal had paid over the odds for Tierney and he was a failure given the price tag!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Brady as a player is indeed an Arsenal legend and is the reason I support Arsenal, however Brady the pundit/manager/judge, the less said the better!

This is the man who only two weeks ago reckoned that Arsenal had paid over the odds for Tierney and he was a failure given the price tag!!

Haven't seen the Tierney comment and very very surprised, do you have a link by any chance?

On Ozil, fully agree... That's been his view for a long time. Only glad he said it rather than me as I got into trouble last time.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why aren’t the club and Arteta more upfront on the Ozil thing?

Only a few weeks ago Arteta was quoted as saying that Ozil was an important part of the squad then a week later he’s not in the squad.
    If he’s a troublemaker then just pay him what he’s owed and let him feck off but still having him here and not in the squad just makes the club look bad as if they’re holding a grudge. Pay him off and get rid imo.

I’d seriously love to know what’s going on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Why aren’t the club and Arteta more upfront on the Ozil thing?

My guess is that it suits both parties to be silent about what's going on, I don't think anyone is coming out of this looking good.

I did wonder why they didn’t pay him his final years salary just to leave but that might be breaking a contract and have legal ramifications

Arsenal dealings with China stay under wraps, Ozil stays till a deal reached and he says nothing... Cheaper to pay salary than lose contract deals....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Sokratis on his way out too. Fenerbache or Napoli...

• Advertisement

Arsenal dealings with China stay under wraps, Ozil stays till a deal reached and he says nothing... Cheaper to pay salary than lose contract deals....

Maybe but it will all come out eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fair play to Sokratis, he's been frozen out even though of all the players left out I'd argue he deserved it the least

Yet we haven't heard a peep out of him

A real professional, good luck to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

El Sueño wrote: »
    Fair play to Sokratis, he's been frozen out even though of all the players left out I'd argue he deserved it the least

He warrants a place in that squad a lot more than Mustafi imo. Must have also had a falling out with Arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

So it has to be one of the Chelsea lads that are the leaks? Or Ozil? Bin them all please.

https://twitter.com/OsmanZtheGooner/status/1344732585935720448

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

So it has to be one of the Chelsea lads that are the leaks? Or Ozil? Bin them all please.

Get those or that player straight out the door. Don't need that **** in our club.

Haven't seen the Tierney comment and very very surprised, do you have a link by any chance?

On Ozil, fully agree... That's been his view for a long time. Only glad he said it rather than me as I got into trouble last time.......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kieran-tierney-suffers-savage-arsenal-23225785

Daily record I know, but it was reported in a number of other places as well, and was referenced on SKY Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

If I had to hazard a guess my prime suspect would be David Luiz. I base this on absolutely nothing but gut feeling but I believe he has previous for leading dressing room revolts.

I don't think it would be Willian. Arteta continued to pick him week after week despite his performances being sh*te. You'd keep quiet if you were in his shoes.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kieran-tierney-suffers-savage-arsenal-23225785

Daily record I know, but it was reported in a number of other places as well, and was referenced on SKY Sports

Ah... Did you read the article or just the headline. He actually didn't mention Tierney at all, the Record chose to highlight him, exact words were

“There’s not one player we have bought apart from Gabriel Martinelli – a relatively cheap signing – who is worth any more than we paid for them. Look at all the rest, none of them are worth what we paid for them. You’d be lucky to get half of the cash back now in an open market."

In general I think he has a point

The only reference to Tierney was the Records own trash headline, not a comment from Brady at all and trust me I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Happy New year lads!
    Not even 2021 and 2 deadwood out already

https://twitter.com/EduardoHagn/status/1344710216974217217?s=19

• Advertisement

What Brady has said needed to be said.
    He attacked the Board.
    He didn’t mention Tierney who has been better than other defenders especially on his opposite side, Bellerin.

These newspapers are rags. I stopped buying them years ago. They have their own agendas.

Paper never refuses ink.

Ah... Did you read the article or just the headline. He actually didn't mention Tierney at all, the Record chose to highlight him, exact words were

“There’s not one player we have bought apart from Gabriel Martinelli – a relatively cheap signing – who is worth any more than we paid for them. Look at all the rest, none of them are worth what we paid for them. You’d be lucky to get half of the cash back now in an open market."

In general I think he has a point

The only reference to Tierney was the Records own trash headline, not a comment from Brady at all and trust me I know

Fair enough, guilty as charged. I actually did read the article but was obviously swayed by the headline!

Fair enough, guilty as charged. I actually did read the article but was obviously swayed by the headline!

Ah no worries at all, these guys are gutter press, happy new year to you all the same

I honestly think given our next matches we could be top 6 by end of Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

New long term deal for Holding apparently. He currently earns less than Runarsson according to Arseblog which I thought unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

But holding is pony most of the time, why’s he getting a new contract ?

Not completely sure. He was out the door to Newcastle until the last minute in pre season. He's been decent when he's played but not so good to warrant an extension.
    If it's a small raise in wages and he's a squad player I don't have much issue though.

• Advertisement

Mustafi is going too, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

emmetlego wrote: »
    Mustafi is going too, right?
    giphy.gif

No idea how to post images...

Nope, still can't.... Trying to post image of Hank Scorpio from Simpsons.... I'm useless!

Not sure if any of you know Jake Coare, he's a silver member rep at the arsenal forum. Been a pretty rough day for him today, if you're on twitter you might drop him a message of support please @jakecoare14

No discussion on this thread please, but thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not sure if any of you know Jake Coare, he's a silver member rep at the arsenal forum. Been a pretty rough day for him today, if you're on twitter you might drop him a message of support please @jakecoare14

Uhh? Then why mention him if no discussion is allowed?

Uhh? Then why mention him if no discussion is allowed?

It's a personal ask as I said

His personal situation is not for discussion here.

I'm an arsenal supporter for 50 years, on boards for 20 years, its a favour because the guy needs it.

Just seen Tony has sent a personal message as have the club. If we can't stand together

Saw that today. Poor lad has had a tough time, but super to see the club rallying around him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm an arsenal supporter for 50 years, on boards for 20 years, its a favour because the guy needs it.

Just seen Tony has sent a personal message as have the club. If we can't stand together
    No offense, bit you're asking us to send a message of support but refuse to tell us what we're supporting. He could've been arrested for something horrendous as far as we know, and you're asking us to support it blindly.

Quazzie wrote: »
    No offense, bit you're asking us to send a message of support but refuse to tell us what we're supporting. He could've been arrested for something horrendous as far as we know, and you're asking us to support it blindly.

Well said.

Just give us some info. No harm

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

just checked his twitter there. poor lad. hopefully he's getting the help he needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

just checked his twitter there. poor lad. hopefully he's getting the help he needs.

He seems to be getting the right help, which is great to see.
    Hopefully the future is bright for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thanks for letting us know. A really tough time for the lad, very good to see that he is getting some support - even if some of it is just a kind word on twitter, I can imagine even a small gesture like that could mean a lot to him.

Any guesses at tonight’s team?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Any guesses at tonight’s team?

I reckon (and hope) same team as the previous 2 games. Either Laca or Auba up front is OK by me, I can't decide if I want Laca to start or come from the bench in the second half.
    I read that both Willian and David Luiz are back in full training. Luiz I don't mind, as I like his forward passing, I would be very disappointed though to see Willian starting.

Coming back to Ireland tonight and will only land after the game has ended. Really hope for a big win - just do whatever Leeds did to ship 5 goals.

• Advertisement

El Sueño wrote: »

wow this has got to be the most thanked post in this thread

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I reckon (and hope) same team as the previous 2 games. Either Laca or Auba up front is OK by me, I can't decide if I want Laca to start or come from the bench in the second half.
    I read that both Willian and David Luiz are back in full training. Luiz I don't mind, as I like his forward passing, I would be very disappointed though to see Willian starting.

Coming back to Ireland tonight and will only land after the game has ended. Really hope for a big win - just do whatever Leeds did to ship 5 goals.

I think that there'll be changes, not least because the team looked a bit tired the last day.

wow this has got to be the most thanked post in this thread

It is indeed, with 20 thanks it's a full 5 ahead of the next most thanked, this one here.

Interesting that a player can basically not perform for us, for whatever reason, and still come out looking ok in the eyes of the fans. I guess if he was on Ozils wages, we'd see it differently.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It is indeed, with 20 thanks it's a full 5 ahead of the next most thanked, this one here.

Interesting that a player can basically not perform for us, for whatever reason, and still come out looking ok in the eyes of the fans. I guess if he was on Ozils wages, we'd see it differently.

I guess you are right about the wages.
    I'm a bit biased because I'm also Greek, I think though that he wasn't the worst of the bunch. His positioning is generally very good and he has good awareness of what's going around him, but he isn't the fastest and was caught off position a few times. At his age he won't get any better and I don't think the physicality of Premier League suited him anymore, at best he would be a squad player, so it makes sense to invest to someone younger with potential.

What the hell is happening with Saliba?
    27 million and we’re apparently looking to sell already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

What the hell is happening with Saliba?
    27 million and we’re apparently looking to sell already.

If true then that's a shambles of mismanagement. He looked excellent in the reserves and pre season but then wasn't named in the squads for league or Europe without having secured another loan. I hope he stays.

Anyone know anything about Julian Brandt, couple of papers saying that his arrival is imminent and already being discussed in the dressing room, I know of him but not much about him... Same position as Aouar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Anyone know anything about Julian Brandt, couple of papers saying that his arrival is imminent and already being discussed in the dressing room, I know of him but not much about him... Same position as Aouar?

Think he started as a winger so maybe more attacking than aouar

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I guess you are right about the wages.
    I'm a bit biased because I'm also Greek, I think though that he wasn't the worst of the bunch. His positioning is generally very good and he has good awareness of what's going around him, but he isn't the fastest and was caught off position a few times. At his age he won't get any better and I don't think the physicality of Premier League suited him anymore, at best he would be a squad player, so it makes sense to invest to someone younger with potential.

I thought Sokrates was always open about only being with us for a maximum of 3 seasons, and he never had any intention of staying, so it probably made sense for other players to be put in ahead of him.

Regarding his speed, I'm sure I read that he was one of the fastest in the club. I thought he got clocked as 3rd fastest sometime after joining us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Basil3 wrote: »
    I thought Sokrates was always open about only being with us for a maximum of 3 seasons, and he never had any intention of staying, so it probably made sense for other players to be put in ahead of him.

Regarding his speed, I'm sure I read that he was one of the fastest in the club. I thought he got clocked as 3rd fastest sometime after joining us.

That can't be right.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement