Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t believe there’s players wearing long johns on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

That was a great tackle! Sake.

Can’t believe there’s players wearing long johns on the field.

If they're gonna beat Big Sam 4 nil in his gaf, they can wear whatever they want!

Hard luck Willian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I genuinely forgot Xhaka was playing.

I think that's a sign that he's had a good game.

His best games are where he just does the simple things right and doesn't make mistakes so you forget he's there at all

• Advertisement

Great performance.
    Everyone tried their best and some great goals.
    Well done team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Quazzie wrote: »

His best games are where he just does the simple things right and doesn't make mistakes so you forget he's there at all

My thoughts exactly.

That cut inside and shot by Willian is something I thought I would see far more from him

So, I think it's safe to say Mikel Arteta has saved Christmas.

Thanks Mikel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

Happy days ��
    Cmon ye gunners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Job done! Well done boys, three wins in a row. Great momentum now and into the plus goals territory! COYG

• Advertisement

Oh, yeah, I wasn't giving out, just saying he wasn't in the spotlight at all.

I suppose that's as much to do with Tierney, ESR, Saka and the other lads lighting the place up.

Never thought I'd look at the table with us in 11th with a big smile on my face.

Bring on the next game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Great performance.
    Everyone tried their best and some great goals.
    Well done team.

Including Willian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Good game good performance and back to back clean sheets can’t fault it
    Young bloods are the way to go

Keown said he bets big Sam wishes he stayed at home with his slippers by the fire rather than get involved in this battle

Looks like he’s pissing in the wind with that squad to be fair, not a player in it I’d like at Arsenal.

Including Willian?

I think he was just thrown on when the game was won.
    Gave the ball away a few times but had a good effort and a few good passes.

He’s not our future though. When we’re behind he’s usually anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Does Allardyce still think we're in a relegation battle with them I wonder?

Hopefully they get smashed in their next few games aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

We're six points off the top four despite the fact we've lost 8 (half) of our league games. If we'd been anything other than utter sh*te for the first 14 games we'd have champions league qualification sewn up already.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Top of the 2021 Calendar League!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We're six points off the top four despite the fact we've lost 8 (half) of our league games. If we'd been anything other than utter sh*te for the first 14 games we'd have champions league qualification sewn up already.

All the teams above except west ham with a game in hand, villa have 2 and man City have 3 but its still tight enough

• Advertisement

Watching Match of the Day now. It's great to see such great direct football from Arsenal. No bull$hit side ways passing, proper attacking Arsenal with a good defensive shape too. Oh how we've longed to have our Arsenal back. Auba will get a hat-trick next week in the Cup against Newcastle.

DenMan wrote: »
    Watching Match of the Day now. It's great to see such great direct football from Arsenal. No bull$hit side ways passing, proper attacking Arsenal with a good defensive shape too. Oh how we've longed to have our Arsenal back. Auba will get a hat-trick next week in the Cup against Newcastle.

Oh for Jaysus sake.

I thought they showed the 8pm game last? I thought I'd be alright to miss the start.

Flip sake.

Oh for Jaysus sake.

I thought they showed the 8pm game last? I thought I'd be alright to miss the start.

Flip sake.

We were first on lad. It's repeated tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We actually have a point more than we did after 17 games last season!

Good to see the confidence coursing through the team.

greendom wrote: »
    We actually have a point more than we did after 17 games last season!

Good to see the confidence coursing through the team.

That is remarkable.

Just looking at the table, jesus, if we hadn't been quite as bad as we were for that bleak spell from Old Trafford to Chelsea...well, we could easily be in the hunt for top 4.

We've been focussing on how crap we've been. Everyone else has been a bit crap too.

I'm sure I heard the other day that The Pool have dropped as many points already this season as they did all last season. And they're still top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I’m blaming Arteta for already breaking dry January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Oh for Jaysus sake.

Flip sake.

Arsenalist.com usually have the motd highlights up the same night http://arsenalist.com/

That is remarkable.

Just looking at the table, jesus, if we hadn't been quite as bad as we were for that bleak spell from Old Trafford to Chelsea...well, we could easily be in the hunt for top 4.

We've been focussing on how crap we've been. Everyone else has been a bit crap too.

I'm sure I heard the other day that The Pool have dropped as many points already this season as they did all last season. And they're still top.

Pool have actually dropped more this season than the entire of last season.
    Heard someone on Sky Sports say it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can't really think of anything negative. The team played well and three victories on the bounce is fantastic.

When they beat Chelsea I was pleased, but you know, it was just the one game and we've been there before - but a further six points was great and there are some genuinely encouraging signs that the team might be going forwards again instead of backwards. The opposition were poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you and Arsenal bate them fairly comprehensively.

It was great to see them play with a bit of belief and swagger. Haven't seen that in a very long time. This has to be the template to work with from now - no more Willian, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Arghus wrote: »
    I can't really think of anything negative. The team played well and three victories on the bounce is fantastic.

When they beat Chelsea I was pleased, but you know, it was just the one game and we've been there before - but a further six points was great and there are some genuinely encouraging signs that the team might be going forwards again instead of backwards. The opposition were poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you and Arsenal bate them fairly comprehensively.

It was great to see them play with a bit of belief and swagger. Haven't seen that in a very long time. This has to be the template to work with from now - no more Willian, please.

West Brom drew against city and Liverpool recently don't forget

I could even live with losing games if we play like that.

It’s refreshing to see our fullbacks speed up the wings and not actually stop at halfway and pass it backwards. There seems to be new tactics and they coincided with The introduction of the young lads and the replacing of Luiz and Willian. I have to say Pablo Mari has been very steady and Holding is playing much better alongside him.
    Is this the new Artetaball or was it forced on him? Either way it’s working and it’s a pleasure to watch.

More of the same please.

For me, it makes the whole freezing out of Ozil even more frustrating. Here you have ESR playing as a 10 and suddenly we have lots of chances being created. I have no doubt it would have been much the same with Ozil in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »
    For me, it makes the whole freezing out of Ozil even more frustrating. Here you have ESR playing as a 10 and suddenly we have lots of chances being created. I have no doubt it would have been much the same with Ozil in the team.

The big difference with ESR is that he puts in the hard yards that Ozil doesn’t. How many times did we see Ozil lose the ball, stop and throw his hands up in the air? You won’t see ESR do that, he just knuckles down and goes after it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Hard not to feel sympathy for Torreira. He just didn't quite fit for us but I hope he finds the right club soon or he will end up a journeyman.

https://arseblog.news/2021/01/report-fiorentina-open-to-rescuing-torreira/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

So lads & gals what's the verdict on Arteta now after the excellent festive round of games?

Are we all 100% behind him now?

Do we still have doubters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    So lads & gals what's the verdict on Arteta now after the excellent festive round of games?

Verdict still out for me. I'm glad that we've gotten some good results but I still have doubts. I really hope it does work out but things were so bad prior to this that I wonder is this a positive blip only. I've come around to giving him more time to prove himself though.

If they play with the more positive approach as per recent games I'll be happy. I could not abide that turgid stuff that was being played until the last few games.

Also, his hand was forced a bit so let's see how he approaches things in the upcoming games.

Definitely doubtful not that I want him gone but that he has a lot to learn. As I said when he was in the lowest ebb he deserves until the end of the season and then look at where he is at.

Reality is there may be a lot going on behind the scenes, I think you have to be so confident in yourself to manage that and it could be where he is falling down

Everyone wants Arteta to be the man to succeed it’s a fairytale feel to it but at the end of the day we have to have what’s best for Arsenal

Bit of fun, but who was the last Scotsman to score for Arsenal prior to Tierney ( dont look it up) .... And contrary to MOTD it wasn't Charlie Nicholas

Bit of fun, but who was the last Scotsman to score for Arsenal prior to Tierney ( dont look it up) .... And contrary to MOTD it wasn't Charlie Nicholas

Paul Dickov?

Paul Dickov?

Nope

• Advertisement

Nope

Scott Marshall maybe. After that I'm out of Scots

Dickov would have been my shout too

Scott Marshall maybe. After that I'm out of Scots

Correct, well done Quazzie

It was Scott Marshall with his only goal for the club.

Dickovs last goal was on 20th November 1995 home to Sheffield Weds. Scott Marshall one and only goal was on 23rd March 1996 home to Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Who was the last Irish player to score for Arsenal?

Zico wrote: »
    Who was the last Irish player to score for Arsenal?

My guess would've been Eddie McGoldrick. Not even sure if he scored for us, but I can't remember too many first teams since him.

We're 11th in the table after a decent run (2 of the 3 wins were against relegation candidates) so yeah, I'm still pretty ****in doubtful.

Can I still be 100% behind him while having doubts?

Delighted with the past 3 games, so many positives, and then...Willian! Again! Why?

We have lost more games than we have won in the league this season so still pretty iffy for now.

My guess would've been Eddie McGoldrick. Not even sure if he scored for us, but I can't remember too many first teams since him.

It was Eddie, again his one and only goal in the cup winners cup against Liege

13 defeats and 13 wins in 34 league games. That's not even good enough for a mid table side.

Only fair to update when we win too. 13 defeats and 16 wins in 37 league games.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement