Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    So lads & gals what's the verdict on Arteta now after the excellent festive round of games?

Are we all 100% behind him now?

Do we still have doubters??

I’ll wait until he has a full squad to pick from just to see if he’ll start Mustafi, Luiz and Willian. If he picks the younger progressive players and the performances are good with attacking football then I’ll back him to the hilt.
    If he starts those two and the performances are good, like we’ve seen lately, then I’ll back him.
    If he plays them and the performances revert back to dull and negative football then I won’t back him.
    We still need signings imo and he has stated that we need them himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PB
    @OliPriceBates
    ·
    11h
    After just 4 fouls today, Arsenal are now bottom (20th) in fouls per game in the league.

However, 2 of those 4 fouls were given yellows, so we are now 6th highest in cards awarded.

Are we being unfairly treated by refs or are we not clever enough at fouling.

In comparison, Spurs have committed the second most fouls in the league but are 18th in the card league table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Only fair to update when we win too. 13 defeats and 16 wins in 37 league games.

How many points is that then? 56? That’s what Arsenal finished on last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It was Eddie, again his one and only goal in the cup winners cup against Liege

Quazzie, I'm beginning to think we qualify as veterans here :)

greendom wrote: »
    Are we being unfairly treated by refs or are we not clever enough at fouling.

In comparison, Spurs have committed the second most fouls in the league but are 18th in the card league table!

I’ve been saying that for years.
    We must have drove through a referees funeral.

We were performing unbelievably poorly prior to the Chelsea game. So many were playing below their capabilities that had to be laid at the manager's door. The introduction of Smith Rowe and Martinelli really does seem to have galvanised the rest of the team.

Bellerin, Lacazette, Xhaka have all really improved their performances recently and have brought their game up to Tierney and Saka's level. As long as we can keep Mustafi and Runarsson away from the squad and minimise Willian's involvement I think this upward trajectory can continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Home to Newcastle in the cup on Sat. On BBC.

Hopefully it'll be a Steve Bruce try to get knocked out early special.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Home to Newcastle in the cup on Sat. On BBC.

Hopefully it'll be a Steve Bruce try to get knocked out early special.

Newcastle utd official twitter account just followed me this morning.... Its a sign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

3 winnable home games in a row coming up, hit the 3 wins here we’ll be well set for Southampton away and Utd at home.

We could be in a decent position if it plays out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

It'll be interesting to see which team Newcastle put out next week. Doing well and holding Leicester at half time and had a very good draw against Liverpool recently. Delighted it's on the BBC. COYG

Newcastle utd official twitter account just followed me this morning.... Its a sign

I seem to be getting a whole heap of Newcastle followers.... I expect them to dissappear after Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

So lads & gals what's the verdict on Arteta now after the excellent festive round of games?

Are we all 100% behind him now?

Do we still have doubters??

Still a big question mark for me. Nice results recently but only off the back of enforced changes because of Covid. I'm actually more concerned that Arteta continuously was sticking to his guns when everything was going horrendous. Seemed very apparent to all what the team needed.

I don't like his my way or the highway attitude. This can work if you have a proven track record but not as a complete novice. He's clashed with a lot of players because of this and i think a manager in his 1st role needs to have a lot more flexibility than he has shown thus far.

Squad still has some problems in terms of severe financial mismanagement, our two best centre backs (Gab and Mari) are both left footed etc

We do have some great young players and with huge parity in the league, anybody in the top 14 capable of beating each other, we can still recover to finish in European places.

Arteta gets to the end of the season for me, reassess then.

Soups123 wrote: »
    3 winnable home games in a row coming up, hit the 3 wins here we’ll be well set for Southampton away and Utd at home.

We could be in a decent position if it plays out

Agree.
    We have a very difficult February fixture list though.
    That will make or break our season going forward.

Chelsea's confidence looks shot to bits now following the Arsenal defeat. City already 0-2 up against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Quazzie, I'm beginning to think we qualify as veterans here :)

What about Anthony Stokes he surely scored for us in a league cup game

• Advertisement

What about Anthony Stokes he surely scored for us in a league cup game

As far as I know he never made a senior appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

As bad a season as we've had we are just three points off Chelsea, who were hoping to beat us on Stephen's day to go second. Shows how quickly things can change and how congested the table is. Palace are 14th but only 7 points off 4th (albeit having played a game more).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'd be inclined to go for the league win over the Cup match against NUFC.

Only so many FA Cups you can win, we have 4 of the last 7. Europa and PL have to be the priority.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to go for the league win over the Cup match against NUFC.

Only so many FA Cups you can win, we have 4 of the last 7. Europa and PL have to be the priority.

Premier League should always be the priority before a cup unless it’s the Champions League. It would nice to win that.

al87987 wrote: »
    Still a big question mark for me. Nice results recently but only off the back of enforced changes because of Covid. I'm actually more concerned that Arteta continuously was sticking to his guns when everything was going horrendous. Seemed very apparent to all what the team needed.

I don't like his my way or the highway attitude. This can work if you have a proven track record but not as a complete novice. He's clashed with a lot of players because of this and i think a manager in his 1st role needs to have a lot more flexibility than he has shown thus far.

Squad still has some problems in terms of severe financial mismanagement, our two best centre backs (Gab and Mari) are both left footed etc

We do have some great young players and with huge parity in the league, anybody in the top 14 capable of beating each other, we can still recover to finish in European places.

Arteta gets to the end of the season for me, reassess then.

Get your point about my way or highway, but that was Graham's ethos, Fergies ethos, Cloughs ethos

I respect my team in work and listen to them but if I want something done I expect it to be done.

Personally I think we've been pussy footing around some of these players for too long and we need a manager to take a stance.

• Advertisement

Get your point about my way or highway, but that was Graham's ethos, Fergies ethos, Cloughs ethos

I respect my team in work and listen to them but if I want something done I expect it to be done.

Personally I think we've been pussy footing around some of these players for too long and we need a manager to take a stance.

It took time but I think Arteta finally has imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Saliba joining Nice on loan til the end of the season, no loan fee and no option to buy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/12178977/william-saliba-arsenal-defender-to-join-nice-on-loan-until-the-end-of-the-season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Glad to see no option to buy. Very much seems to be a part of Arteta's future plans. Hope he gets a good amount of playing time and comes back ready to be involved with the first team next season!

Just looked at the table and Nice are 12th on 22 points, almost identical to Arsenal. Hopefully he can help them move up the table a little bit. Vieira got his man alright, pity he wasn't there to see him and work with him though. The Romanian manager will, Adrian Ursea.

Good move for him. The way his move to St Etienne fell apart in October smacked of incompetence on our part.

Good move for him. The way his move to St Etienne fell apart in October smacked of incompetence on our part.

I thought the incompetence was on the part of St Etienne though.

DenMan wrote: »

I thought the incompetence was on the part of St Etienne though.

https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/arsenal-blamed-saliba-loan-frustration-st-etienne-defender/94mlj7xvkvt91xtcdo6wxsabn

They blamed us and I'd be inclined to believe them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im pretty sure the Athletic said that Edu just had his hands tied with Partey deal and couldnt get it done in time.

As an aside, would people here like to sell Pepe this summer? If they do, what would they accept as a transfer fee assuming we all accept he was never a 72m pound player.

Id take 30 million, but if he's essentially 3rd choice and doesnt play much until then I think we wont get near that

Doesn’t really matter whose fault it was
    It’s complete mismanagement and the young lad suffered as a result in not knowing what was going on with his future.
    He deserved better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Buendida (spelling) from Norwich in part exchange for Reiss Nelson or Joe Willock rumour doing the rounds today. Coming from the same journo that broke the Emi to Villa story...

• Advertisement

Im pretty sure the Athletic said that Edu just had his hands tied with Partey deal and couldnt get it done in time.

As an aside, would people here like to sell Pepe this summer? If they do, what would they accept as a transfer fee assuming we all accept he was never a 72m pound player.

Id take 30 million, but if he's essentially 3rd choice and doesnt play much until then I think we wont get near that

In a struggling side, with Auba, Laca, Willian et al out of form, he was probably our most likely attacker. That's how bad we were.

I'd be more inclined to give him more opportunities now that we have someone playing as a 10. I'd put Pepe down the left, with Saka down the right and Auba up the middle....although now Laca has hit some form it would be hard to leave him out.

It was stated that the club wanted a loan deal with an English club to help him acclimatise to the country and its football. A day later he's heading back to France. That's not going to help with his acclimatisation!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Buendida (spelling) from Norwich in part exchange for Reiss Nelson or Joe Willock rumour doing the rounds today. Coming from the same journo that broke the Emi to Villa story...

Premier League football is worth so much that I can't see Norwich letting one of their best players go until that is secured

Sad to see but the Ox looks a shadow of the player he once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

DenMan wrote: »
    Sad to see but the Ox looks a shadow of the player he once was.

Was a good bit of business getting rid of him for great money. Too injury prone.

Was a good bit of business getting rid of him for great money. Too injury prone.

Little bo$$ix coming off there. Rubbish performance and he fist pumped Shaqiri before his manager. Delighted we got £30m for him. Money Arteta uses in January or next summer now.

Didn't see the game, but what did Ox do with Shaqiri?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It'd be a no-brainer to sell Pepe IMO.

There's flashes of ability there, but for 72 million... a bit of a joke to be honest.

I'll be very happy if I have to eat my words if he suddenly becomes an absolute top quality player, but really there hasn't been a whole lot to suggest that will happen.

Plus, he'll be 26 next Summer - another mark against him in that his rawness can't be put down to youth - so if you're going to get maximum value from trying to sell him, it will probably have to be then.

Of course the problem is how much he cost and what is deemed an appropriate amount that someone would be willing to pay for him.

Based on what he has shown so far a fee of 30 million would be pretty good going tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

All those examples are from 25+ years ago, i think the modern footballer responds better to an arm around the shoulder. Nobody's asking Arteta to be a pushover.

It's up to a manager to get the best out of all his assets. All I see his current method doing is devaluing a lot of our assets by sidelining them for lengthy periods. Add Saliba to the evergrowing list of players whose value has plummeted and now once again we fail to receive any transfer fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd bite your hand off for 30 million tbh

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'd bite your hand off for 30 million tbh

Yeah I would definitely take that, even 25 million if it meant we could invest it immediately and try again

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

slightly off topic, but I really like Merse. for all his faults, he was a great player for us and seems like a really nice bloke. Came across this vid of him having a go at Neil ruddock over his boozing and the angry reaction. sad but uplifting in a way to see people around Ruddock trying to help him.

I'm the opposite, I never liked really Paul Merson at all. Just comes across as a loudmouth and opinionated little fecker on everything. I'd guess people don't stay long in his company. Even in that clip he goes right after Ruddock in relation to his weight for his operation. He goes on about his weight and then jumps right in about his drinking. No wonder Ruddock lost the plot. You talk to your friend personally and if it doesn't get through you just leave it. If people with an addiction problem want help they have to want it for themselves first, constantly badgering someone about it in public with other people watching is wrong imo. I could see Big Dave's face when Merson went on his Knight's crusade to help his friend and then Merson throws a strop and leaves, making it all about himself. I can see right through him. I hope Ruddock gets the help he needs, as indeed Gazza, however they have to want it first and foremost for themselves.

I must admit I've always found Merse endearing in a funny sort of way but he is very much the epitome of "jobs for the lads" in terms of his punditry ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its a bit rich for Merson to be taking the moral high ground and all the issues he's had. There's nothing worse than somebody being all preachy.
    On saying that I read Mersons book before and found it to be quite entertaining, certainly they were very different times. He doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Great point on the Arsecast yesterday RE Ozil , I myself think it's a dead issue but in relation to him getting registered can you imagine we signed a 32 year with no football played in 10 months there would be outcry

What do you lads think of the Nketiah to wolves story ? If it's true I'd definitely say best of luck to him , let him go get Balogun on a long term deal would be the ideal solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Great point on the Arsecast yesterday RE Ozil , I myself think it's a dead issue but in relation to him getting registered can you imagine we signed a 32 year with no football played in 10 months there would be outcry

What do you lads think of the Nketiah to wolves story ? If it's true I'd definitely say best of luck to him , let him go get Balogun on a long term deal would be the ideal solution

Yeah I like eddie and I want him to be great for us but I don’t think he’s gonna be number 1 at Arsenal with the competition he has. Wolves would be a great move for him and could turn out a good buy for them if he fulfils potential.

Chris Wheatley Tweet

From a bloke who has in the past, broke all the Ozil stories first. Maybe a resolution in sight after all this time.

Balogun posted to Twitter yesterday with a compilation of some of his Arsenal goals titled "2021 I'm coming..."
    Not sure if thats a good thing or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think that he is always going to be just that small bit short of top class he has plenty of ability and seems to have a great work ethic and good attitude, I'd let him go under a similar deal that Sheffield United and Liverpool did with Brewster i.e. first refusal if they sell him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement