Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

emmetlego wrote: »
    Chris Wheatley Tweet

From a bloke who has in the past, broke all the Ozil stories first. Maybe a resolution in sight after all this time.

Was just coming to post this , absolutely massive news if true be great to get him out finally and put all this stuff to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Was just coming to post this , absolutely massive news if true be great to get him out finally and put all this stuff to bed

Im not doubting Chris, just thought it funny that Ozil posted to instagram earlier about Istanbul and Sokratis commented on it....

https://twitter.com/umityildizzzz/status/1346554857667375106?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Great point on the Arsecast yesterday RE Ozil , I myself think it's a dead issue but in relation to him getting registered can you imagine we signed a 32 year with no football played in 10 months there would be outcry

What do you lads think of the Nketiah to wolves story ? If it's true I'd definitely say best of luck to him , let him go get Balogun on a long term deal would be the ideal solution

I like Eddie but if it was a case of one over the other I'd take Balogun any day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Not sure if true or not but this is doing the rounds.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1346756378128510977?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I know not to trust or buy into any transfer talk on social media it's 99.9% bull****.

They should be force to print a source or don't bother printing at all.

Azatadine wrote: »

What a **** way for his Arsenal career to come to end. All to do with political stands and human rights issues if we are to believe what is rumoured.

Will always remember the day he signed and that first assist, Breaking the trophless spell too with that Fa cup win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I know not to trust or buy into any transfer talk on social media it's 99.9% bull****.

They should be force to print a source or don't bother printing at all.

I don't agree with that. Some stories are B/S (15-20% perhaps), but when they come from reliable sources they should be taken seriously. They don't always happen for one reason or another but that doesn't mean they are rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

What a **** way for his Arsenal career to come to end. All to do with political stands and human rights issues if we are to believe what is rumoured.

Will always remember the day he signed and that first assist, Breaking the trophless spell too with that Fa cup win.

I wouldn't believe that for a second, sure he was played when arteta took over for a long run of games after his comments.

Besides when Erdoğan is your best man/officiant I think you need to look closer to home for human rights abuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Goalkeeper Matt Macey is heading to Scotland as he's going to Hibernian. He's out of contract in the summer so it could be a loan until then.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2021/01/06/arsenal-matt-macey-hibernian-transfer/

DenMan wrote: »
    Goalkeeper Matt Macey is heading to Scotland as he's going to Hibernian. He's out of contract in the summer so it could be a loan until then.

That must mean we're bringing in someone else - we can't be expecting Runarrsson to play any part in this season

• Advertisement

Excited to find out who will be our new number 10 now. Such an iconic number for the club. Good luck to Ozil if it is true and he is leaving. He left us some great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Excited to find out who will be our new number 10 now. Such an iconic number for the club. Good luck to Ozil if it is true and he is leaving. He left us some great memories.

Give it to Saka!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Give it to Saka!!!
    He's already 7. Suits his style of play more than 10.

Ozils agent has confirmed they are in talks with other clubs and that although Ozil intends to stay until the summer, he might leave in Jan.

Azatadine wrote: »

I'd say if he's going anywhere it's to the States given his new brand.... I would think (hope) the wheels are well and truly turning behind the scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I'd say if he's going anywhere it's to the States given his new brand.... I would think (hope) the wheels are well and truly turning behind the scenes

Lets hope they are BIG WHEELS with a TURBO attached....:mad:

That's an odd one as Hibs have just called Dabrowski back from loan. Hope the move works for him, he's never really had a chance at Arsenal

That's an odd one as Hibs have just called Dabrowski back from loan. Hope the move works for him, he's never really had a chance at Arsenal

Me too! He's 6'7", he must be one of the tallest goalkeepers ever to play for Arsenal.

Saliba goes straight into the Nice team haha!

https://twitter.com/ogcnice_eng/status/1346863785752072203?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we should have kept him. Plenty of games for him with Cups and the odd league game if someone was injured or suspended. Couldn’t be any worse than some we kept. He’d get to know how we play and familiarise himself with other young players and our system. He’s supposed to be very good from reading about him. Something not right in the way he’s been treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think we should have kept him. Plenty of games for him with Cups and the odd league game if someone was injured or suspended. Couldn’t be any worse than some we kept. He’d get to know how we play and familiarise himself with other young players and our system. He’s supposed to be very good from reading about him. Something not right in the way he’s been treated.

I have a niggly feeling he'll not be back, at least not in any meaningful way.
    There's something really odd about how the club is dealing with him.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Match is on BT2 if anyone wants to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Quazzie wrote: »
    Match is on BT2 if anyone wants to watch

Yellow card for a Mustafi like challenge, he'll fit right in.

Yellow card for a Mustafi like challenge, he'll fit right in.

He looks a bit nervous and unsure but I wouldn't blame him

Caught ball watching for the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Judging by that second goal, Nice don't seem to be up to much at the back. Saliba should get plenty of game time there if he's got any hope of making it at Arsenal.

Judging by that second goal, Nice don't seem to be up to much at the back. Saliba should get plenty of game time there if he's got any hope of making it at Arsenal.

That was some through-ball the Nice player made :pac:

Balogun to Swansea on loan.... I hope not

Balogun to Swansea on loan.... I hope not

If we're loaning him out though that surely means his deal is extended?

If we're loaning him out though that surely means his deal is extended?

It's a loan with option to buy and a sell on clause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

It's a loan with option to buy and a sell on clause

Doesn't his contract expire in the summer? An 'option to buy' would make no sense.

Doesn't his contract expire in the summer? An 'option to buy' would make no sense.

I believe there may be a new contract and the loan is to see how he develops. I'm pretty confused myself to be honest

Thats what my last post was about, if they are loaning him it must mean he has been extended.

Thats what my last post was about, if they are loaning him it must mean he has been extended.

Fingers crossed.....

From the little I’ve seen of him I’d rather have him than Eddie.
    He’s taller, stronger and knows where the goal is. His timing of the lay-off was very good too.
    I’m saying that on the limited amount of time I’ve seen him but I liked what I saw.

Did anyone watch the game in full? Saliba out of 10?

Did anyone watch the game in full? Saliba out of 10?

Nope. Tried but couldn’t get it.

Watched it off and on. Seemed decent enough, a bit rash in the tackle now and then but good with his feet and made a good few interceptions and clearances from what I read on Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

a bit rash in the tackle

Mustafi 2.0 :D

Mustafi 2.0 :D

Ah he can’t be that bad surely and it was his first game where he was straight into the team hardly knowing his team mates.
    If he is that bad then why did we spend 27 million on him and who is responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What the absolute hell is/was that entire debacle about?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    re balogun from football london, its a bit speculative but fair points non the less

The player is able to talk to foreign clubs about a pre-contract agreement although football.london understands that negotiations with Stuttgart have broken down.
    Swansea and Liverpool are also said to be interest in the youngster who has a goal involvement every 60 minutes in the Europa League this season
    Saturday's FA Cup tie against Newcastle should be an indicator of whether he has a long-term future at the Emirates or not, with Mikel Arteta set to rotate his squad heavily.

Regardless of whether Balogun does end up signing or not though, the fact that his contract situation has been allowed to get to this stage means that Arsenal's hierarchy have already broken a key transfer promise they made to the fans.

In the aftermath of Aaron Ramsey 's departure to Juventus in the spring of 2019, Raul Sanllehi conducted an interview on the club's official YouTube channel saying that such a situation would never be allowed to occur again.
    “We need to make sure we are really disciplined" said the Spaniard. "A good example of that is senior players that aren’t towards the end of their careers.

"We need to make sure that those players, when they’ve got two years left on their contract, we’re making the difficult decisions.

“We’re either renewing those players’ contracts, or we’re selling those players.

"So we’re going to have to be brave with those decisions along the way, because we can’t be in a situation where we are allowing players to walk out the door for free unless they are coming towards the end of their career.”

In fairness, Balogun is not a 'senior player' and certainly wasn't 2 years ago. Article is pure click-bait.

Selling him 2 years ago you would have got peanuts, a lot less than Arsenal will get from tribunal if he leaves in the summer.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    agreed but he is a great talent who is wanted by so many other clubs including liverpool, letting a highly sought after player run his contract down and possibly go elsewhere whilst poor players get into the team or on the bench without merit is poor form in my opinion

Yeah i hear what you're saying but if you've got managers stuggling and fighting for their jobs they're always gonna pick Auba or Lacazette over a 17 year old.

Can't put a gun to his head and make him sign, although i do think he should be bumped up ahead of Eddie. Hopefully he signs.

All I can say about Saliba really is that we didn't see him train, we didn't see what went on behind closed doors so will have to trust the decisions that were made. It's a pitty cause it was exciting to be getting a high quality defending.

Arteta on Balogun:

‘You need three parties to make a deal,’ said Arteta. ‘For sure, the club wants to make a deal, the manager wants to make a deal, the player wants to stay and I’m not sure about the agent.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/07/mikel-arteta-accuses-folarin-baloguns-agent-of-scuppering-arsenal-contract-negotiations-13863634/?ito=newsnow-feed

All I can say about Saliba really is that we didn't see him train, we didn't see what went on behind closed doors so will have to trust the decisions that were made. It's a pitty cause it was exciting to be getting a high quality defending.

I agree except that we don’t really know if he is high quality as yet.
    The fact that we paid 27 million for a lad so young suggests he is.
    I think he should have been kept at least for a year with the senior team and given a chance prove himself at Arsenal. As I said there’s plenty of games that would suit him, cups and some league matches. He could end being brilliant and we’ll lose him on the cheap probably.
    What difference would a year here have meant rather than at Nice?

I agree except that we don’t really know if he is high quality as yet.
    The fact that we paid 27 million for a lad so young suggests he is.
    I think he should have been kept at least for a year with the senior team and given a chance prove himself at Arsenal. As I said there’s plenty of games that would suit him, cups and some league matches. He could end being brilliant and we’ll lose him on the cheap probably.
    What difference would a year here have meant rather than at Nice?

He lost both his parents last year apparently and was struggling with that around the time of the move. The reason he was looking to move back to France for another season but somehow the paperwork wasn't completed in time during the last window.

l'Equipe had Saliba as the best player in the Nice side that lost last night.

That's not bad considering how little he's played recently and he's barely had time to train with his new team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

He played very well anytime he lined up for arsenal so I'm not worried about his ability. Especially when we have the likes of Mustafi registered...

• Advertisement

Arteta on Balogun:

‘You need three parties to make a deal,’ said Arteta. ‘For sure, the club wants to make a deal, the manager wants to make a deal, the player wants to stay and I’m not sure about the agent.’

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/07/mikel-arteta-accuses-folarin-baloguns-agent-of-scuppering-arsenal-contract-negotiations-13863634/?ito=newsnow-feed

All too little too late to save this now. Will regret this one as must as gnarby I think.

Hope I'm wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement