Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The Athletic is reporting that Balogun is on the verge of signing a pre-contract with a foreign club. Ornstein and Gunnerblog wrote it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Let's just hope he has a mighty second half to the season over in France (Saliba), we get rid of all the dead weight center Half's aka Mustafi, Papa, Luiz & Chambers ( can only keep one of him or holding as 4 choice center back and looks like holding has won that race)

That will leave us with Gab, Holding, Mari, Saliba.
    We will probably bring in one more too

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

The Athletic is reporting that Balogun is on the verge of signing a pre-contract with a foreign club. Ornstein and Gunnerblog wrote it

Agent leaking news to Ornstein to pressure the club imo. They have previous! Interesting to see how it all pans out - be a big shame to lose him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

x PyRo wrote: »
    Agent leaking news to Ornstein to pressure the club imo. They have previous! Interesting to see how it all pans out - be a big shame to lose him.

Either that or it’s true.
    I wonder which way it will end up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

5star02707 wrote: »

Another in a long list of player mismanagement cases at arsenal. Such a lack of competency from a multi billion business is astonishing really. Here and there it happens but the club is hemorrhaging money by either loosing players on a free or having deadweight around on high salaries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »

I read somewhere recently that we won’t be buying anyone in this current window, maybe a loan or two coming in. The reason was that we have financial problems.

I don’t usually pay any heed to what I read but this would reinforce what they were reporting.

The sixth richest club in the world someone said. I doubt that.

djan wrote: »
    Another in a long list of player mismanagement cases at arsenal. Such a lack of competency from a multi billion business is astonishing really. Here and there it happens but the club is hemorrhaging money by either loosing players on a free or having deadweight around on high salaries.

Well look, it's not the last time we will lose a promising youngster. Either they're good enough for the first team, or they'll find game time elsewhere. It's that simple.

I do like the look of what I've seen of him, but I don't think the club (or any other big clubs) hold him in such high regard that he would be straight into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Disappointing to lose Balogun if true. If the agent can make himself a nice juicy fee by moving on his client on a bosman, he's gonna make sure that happens. He makes way less commission if his client stays put and signs an extension. Thats just the way these things go unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

djan wrote: »

Yeah I feel like I'm always going on about the financial mismanagement at the club but since Arteta came in I'm more worried than ever.

We've lost all of the below players to free loans/free transfers in the last year alone:

Torreira
    Guendouzi (1m received)
    Kolasinac
    Mkhitaryan
    Saliba

And probably Ozil and Sokratis shortly too.

I know most of these wouldn't be starting players but we have to do better in terms of getting fees. We're killing these players value and moving them on when they're at their lowest.

I'm not surprised we have to take the 120m loan. We're due to pay it back in May and are hugely reliant on the 70m on season ticket sales that month but I'm not positive that will be fully recouped.

If we aren't getting transfer fees, obviously no investment from the owners, significantly reduced/no gate fees for the foreseeable then we're pretty much solely reliant on the tv money and merchandising. Difficult times ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see we bought another 19 year old defender today.

I see we bought another 19 year old defender today.

Yeh interesting one, Omar Rekik, 19, hes 6 ft 1 and younger brother of Karim Rekik. Centre back but can play left or right as well, also holding midfield. Identifed by Mert after chats with his buddy who's sporting director at Hertha Berlin (apparently the same way that the Guendouzi loan happened). 500k, first signing of the window

Looks like Ozil to Fenerbahce is on, really thought he'd go for DC but I'm far from fussy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Looks like Ozil to Fenerbahce is on, really thought he'd go for DC but I'm far from fussy :)

Done deal according to this beINsports reporter

https://twitter.com/mertyuksektepee/status/1347285772970426368?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Does he need a hand with his luggage or a lift to the airport...I drive REAL FAST!

Macey gone to Hibs.
    Hope it works out for him.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    If beers says it’s done then it’s done, beinsports are just trying to poach the limelight from beers ;)

Haha very funny.... Wasn't told it was a done deal, but generally reliable. Source is kinda third party as I heard this from someone I know very well who is close to the club... He heard it from someone he knows who is connected to Turkish football. All I heard is that Sogut is 'close' to agreeing terms, but it may still depend on a payoff from Arsenal if we want the deal completed before the summer! If that's the case, the greed is staggering

But thanks Omega I'll blush quietly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He'll be a hero in Turkey and will suit him down to the ground. Turkey looks a safer place to live than the US too :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Arteta has almost a full squad to choose from and Partey is back. I wonder will he play him tomorrow. The game is live on BBC One @17:30.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55574495

DenMan wrote: »
    Arteta has almost a full squad to choose from and Partey is back. I wonder will he play him tomorrow. The game is live on BBC One @17:30.

Hopefully he will come on after 60mins when were 2 up. I dont want him to start personally

DenMan wrote: »

Do not let partey anywhere near this game, at most 10/15 minutes at the end. Mind him. He is vital for Premier League & Europa League later stages. No need to risk him for the FA cup 3rd round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Do not let partey anywhere near this game, at most 10/15 minutes at the end. Mind him. He is vital for Premier League & Europa League later stages. No need to risk him for the FA cup 3rd round

Could argue that winning the FA cup might be the only way to be in Europe next season :o

He needs to get match fit. Ideal for Partey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

It’s only a trivial award but I’m surprised to see Saka wasn’t nominated for premier league player of the month the kids been central to us clawing our way back up the table.

Ahhh good to see us linked to Draxler.... It really isn't a transfer window without it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would be great to ring the bell and be cancer free.

• Advertisement

Arsenal are ready to initiate a swap deal for Norwich City’s Emi Buendia — Who’s this fella anyone for the heads up ?

Risky especially as rumours are that we throw Willock or Reiss into the deal. Norwich value him at €40m!! He's largely untested, Norwich being his biggest club at 24. As far as I can see, he's very much like Torreira, attacking midfield also plays on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Risky especially as rumours are that we throw Willock or Reiss into the deal. Norwich value him at €40m!! He's largely untested, Norwich being his biggest club at 24. As far as I can see, he's very much like Torreira, attacking midfield also plays on the wing

Torreira an attacking midfielder??

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Torreira an attacking midfielder??

Sorry, meaning that that's how Emery was trying to play him, my point was that's the position Arteta is trying to fill. Torreira was never meant to be in that position, Buendia is an attacking midfielder so he has that over Torreira but apart from a spell with Getafe where he got three goals, he's largely untested.

I think he got 15 for Norwich since he joined a couple of years ago but €40m is outrageous.

houssem aouar rumours are doing the rounds again

Can't see we've got the money but if they are talking that sort of money off Buendia, maybe we're bidding for Messi as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Sorry, meaning that that's how Emery was trying to play him, my point was that's the position Arteta is trying to fill. Torreira was never meant to be in that position, Buendia is an attacking midfielder so he has that over Torreira but apart from a spell with Getafe where he got three goals, he's largely untested.

I think he got 15 for Norwich since he joined a couple of years ago but €40m is outrageous.

He did also play a full season in the Premier League but to be fair Norwich were muck.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    He did also play a full season in the Premier League but to be fair Norwich were muck.

Yeh and the lad looked decent but we've a bad record in overpayment for players. I also feel sorry for Willock or Reiss if they are offered as part of the deal, both of them deserve better than Norwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I don't think Willock or Nelson will ever make it at Arsenal, I'd get rid of either if it meant bringing in a creative player. In saying that I know very little about Buendia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

El Sueño wrote: »
    I don't think Willock or Nelson will ever make it at Arsenal, I'd get rid of either if it meant bringing in a creative player. In saying that I know very little about Buendia.

I sort of agree but then again not every player has to be a 1st team regular , like Nelson would be better to come off the bench and start occasionlay than an overpaid and lazy willian

Willock is a different case i honestly don't see anything in him he's a hard worker and tryer but that's it

I haven't seen much of Balogun but if he was as good as some seem to think then surely he'd have made a PL appearance or two by now? Has he even made the bench for a PL game?

As someone said on Twitter last night, he's a lot more likely to be another Chuba Akpom than another Henry.

I sort of agree but then again not every player has to be a 1st team regular , like Nelson would be better to come off the bench and start occasionlay than an overpaid and lazy willian

Willock is a different case i honestly don't see anything in him he's a hard worker and tryer but that's it

I'd definitely keep Nelson over Willock too. I think Willock will end up in the Championship to be quite honest.

El Sueño wrote: »
    I haven't seen much of Balogun but if he was as good as some seem to think then surely he'd have made a PL appearance or two by now? Has he even made the bench for a PL game?

As someone said on Twitter last night, he's a lot more likely to be another Chuba Akpom than another Henry.

Totaly disagree, this young fella is the real deal, needs polishing but my god what a talent

• Advertisement

I think Willock is another Iwobi ie run all day but hasn’t a football brain.
    Ballogun looked and played intelligently in the little I saw of him but I’m also wondering why he hadn’t made a league appearance especially as Eddie has done and looked poor.
    Nelson I’m unsure of too. Loads of speed, skill and then takes poor decisions. I’m wondering if time will help him.
    I’m saying all this and I was one of the posters who thought Saka was too light and timid for this league. 😂😂

I think Willock is another Iwobi ie run all day but hasn’t a football brain.
    Ballogun looked and played intelligently in the little I saw of him but I’m also wondering why he hadn’t made a league appearance especially as Eddie has done and looked poor.
    Nelson I’m unsure of too. Loads of speed, skill and then takes poor decisions. I’m wondering if time will help him.
    I’m saying all this and I was one of the posters who thought Saka was too light and timid for this league. 😂😂

looks like he found his balls Tayto :D

greendom wrote: »
    looks like he found his balls Tayto :D

He did indeed.
    And I’ll tell you something else, young Smith-Roe has everything. I looked at him closely and his movement and passing are first class. He was brilliant for that team goal that Saka scored in the Brighton match I think it was.

He did indeed.
    And I’ll tell you something else, young Smith-Roe has everything. I looked at him closely and his movement and passing are first class. He was brilliant for that team goal that Saka scored in the Brighton match I think it was.

Absolutely, he has made such a difference to our forward play. Fantastic talent.

Finding space, creating space for others, clever passing. What the team had been so sorely lacking during that shocking run of bad results. He's the creative spark that has reignited the season.

Early signs are that he doesn't neglect the defensive side of the game either.

Nice article here...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/08/emile-smith-rowe-emergence-adds-new-creative-dimension-for-arsenal-mikel-arteta

Pretty harsh to judge young fellas when they don't get a string of back to back games with 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

That lad Buendía is on the bench for Norwich today. They're 2-0 up against Coventry in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

There were a few links with Yves Bissouma recently, he'd be an excellent addition. Only 24 and getting better all the time.

Pretty harsh to judge young fellas when they don't get a string of back to back games with 90 minutes.

Maybe but what about the lads who did get names and who were not young like Mustafi, Kolasinac, Willian etc? They got loads of games despite being useless.

Maybe but what about the lads who did get names and who were not young like Mustafi, Kolasinac, Willian etc? They got loads of games despite being useless.

I imagine a lot of it is based on training performance. Something we never see.

I imagine a lot of it is based on training performance. Something we never see.

I’d agree. I think some players don’t like training a lot but prefer matches and thrive in them. The manager is the boss though.
    I read somewhere that Ozil was flying in training yet not even getting on the panel so it’s hard to know what goes on in clubs. That’s the one case I’d love to know about. Probably political as has been mentioned several times here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement