Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

I don't know what coach is available that could get us to where we want to be right now. I think this a medium to long term project and we hired a young inexperienced manager to come along on the journey with us.

I don't really see the point in sacking him, the issue is more to do with the players. But then this is football, and it's always the manager who goes. I hope he gets given time.

I don't know what coach is available that could get us to where we want to be right now. I think this a medium to long term project and we hired a young inexperienced manager to come along on the journey with us.

I don't really see the point in sacking him, the issue is more to do with the players. But then this is football, and it's always the manager who goes. I hope he gets given time.

He needs to show a clear sign that we're moving in some kind of direction. At the start, it did seem like he had a style of play he was trying to instill in the players, but that seems completely lost now.

I wouldn't mind losing if there were some redeeming qualities to the way we were playing. The players just seem to be passing the ball around and hoping something will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It wasn't that long ago his team was beating City, Chelsea and Liverpool. we seem very far away from that team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

OK reality check here...

For so long Wenger out and it was granted

We got a hugely talented player, asisstant manager as our boss.

We at last spent some cash

It takes time lads, buy success and be like Man City in their day (how they have withered) or build a mighty Arsenal as we have seen before. I know which I prefer.

This is Artetas first full season with a new look squad and injuries but huge potential and possible signing funds in January.

I have to say with my Arsenal heritage it makes me sick to the stomach to hear some (the minority) calling for Artetas head. Christ Bertie Mee was the manager when I was ballboy.... Cop on and support the club

Sorry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Well lads im back after a month in the slammer because Liverpool fans are too precious :)

What can I say about the last few matches, out played against Leeds,Villa and Wolves( except the last 20 mins)
    Nelson needs to start over Willian, our midfield was horrible found out last night and given the run around by a 34 year old.
    Auba looks totally checked out and not bothered, people will say oh he needs the supply, there was 3 balls put right across the 6 yard box last night which sad to say Giroud or Lacazette would have been all over, but Auba decides to stand still on the peno spot.
    Hes not scoring goals and the team is struggling and as a captain and striker he needs to be doing the hard yards and drag the team through which he doesn't want to do.
    Arteta really needs to get his own players in the January window and shift out more deadwood.
    With Parteys injury now worse than first thought I can't see things improving. We have no link between attack and defence which leads to slow, ponderous and very hit and miss play

OK reality check here...

It takes time lads, buy success and be like Man City in their day (how they have withered) or build a mighty Arsenal as we have seen before. I know which I prefer.

This is Artetas first full season with a new look squad and injuries but huge potential and possible signing funds in January.

I have to say with my Arsenal heritage it makes me sick to the stomach to hear some (the minority) calling for Artetas head. Christ Bertie Mee was the manager when I was ballboy.... Cop on and support the club

The major problem i have is that we moved to the Emirates to compete with the best in Europe and that hasn't happened, managers not backed, pipped to players in the transfer market and always looking for bargains has left us so far behind. Instead of building from a fairly strong team and position back then to now trying to build from rock bottom.

Don't think real change on the pitch will happen until the owners are gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

OK reality check here...

Look, where is the evidence that he's capable of turning things around? I cant see any signs of him being able to address the issues. If anything, it's worse we are getting. Might sound ridiculous but I have very little confidence that we can beat many of the teams in the bottom half of the table at the moment.

Is there something else going on behind the scenes because we seem to be getting worse. Whats going on with Auba not trying a leg? Arteta needs to fix whatever Auba has going going on because we are in big trouble if we can't get him scoring again. He's the talisman for the entire team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the problem with the owners isn't money , They only took full control 3 years ago maybe 2 I could be wrong , They had to replace Wenger who pretty much did everything at the club , probably even paid the tea ladies ffs

If there guilty of anything it's naivety when they put Gazidas in charge there was a plan they had Sven for scouting Raul for doing the deals (more on him ) and Emery as the head coach seemed a good fit , then Gazidas ****ed off the 1st chance he got and recommended Raul to take over

Why did they take the word of Ivan the Terrible why not interview for the job , they handed the keys to Sanlehi who in turn pushed Sven out the door , they backed Raul with money and he screwed us with Pepe , his mate was the transfer guy over there I recall and they needed the exact amount we paid them (so ****ing fishy people are throwing down nets)

Remember Raul wanted to give Emery a new contract after Baku , Emery eventually dragged us down and got sacked and they brought in Arteta again on word of mouth , Pep's assistant with no expeirience now I like him and givien time i still think he'll come good

Now that Raul is gone we have Edu and Mikel and i'm still not sure on the setup i mean the signings of Cedric, Willian and Mari throw up huge warning signals , we'll see i guess i think Mikel was unlucky to have missed out on Aour a player we're sorely lacking and again unlucky to lose Partey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OK reality check here...

I didn’t see anyone really calling for Arteta’s head.
    Everyone here wished him the best when he took over.
    He started well enough but now has a worse record than Emery had.
    It’s his record and the Board that will decide his fate.
    He has some very difficult fixtures in the coming month which could decide that fate.
    He’s a likeable fellow but it’s not working for him now and it’s hard to recognise his plan for the club. The team look like they aren’t getting his plan either or are not playing to it.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Look, where is the evidence that he's capable of turning things around? I cant see any signs of him being able to address the issues. If anything, it's worse we are getting. Might sound ridiculous but I have very little confidence that we can beat many of the teams in the bottom half of the table at the moment.

Is there something else going on behind the scenes because we seem to be getting worse. Whats going on with Auba not trying a leg? Arteta needs to fix whatever Auba has going going on because we are in big trouble if we can't get him scoring again. He's the talisman for the entire team.

Not Artetas fault Auba doesn't wanna try, he's a mature professional thats been around a long time and captain of a huge club. He should be the one pulling the team through not the one that needs building up and to be motivated

I didn’t see anyone really calling for Arteta’s head.
    Everyone here wished him the best when he took over.
    He started well enough but now has a worse record than Emery had.
    It’s his record and the Board that will decide his fate.
    He has some very difficult fixtures in the coming month which could decide that fate.
    He’s a likeable fellow but it’s not working for him now and it’s hard to recognise his plan for the club. The team look like they aren’t getting his plan either or are not playing to it.

Exactly he hasn't got the players at his disposal to implement his plan i don't think. January is a massive window for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

OK reality check here...

Think we're all just frustrated right now. Everyone wants Mikel to succeed. But it's a tough watch at the moment.

To be honest, I for one, will forgive anything at all if we can manage to beat Spurs at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Not Artetas fault Auba doesn't wanna try, he's a mature professional thats been around a long time and captain of a huge club. He should be the one pulling the team through not the one that needs building up and to be motivated

Auba is a very strange case.

Remember when he signed it seemed like a big part of it was his meetings with Arteta.

I understand he'd be fed up getting an average of one chance evry two games of whatever it feels like now, but Christ this is an incredible dip in form. (From both him and the players who should be making chances for him).

The major problem i have is that we moved to the Emirates to compete with the best in Europe and that hasn't happened, managers not backed, pipped to players in the transfer market and always looking for bargains has left us so far behind. Instead of building from a fairly strong team and position back then to now trying to build from rock bottom.

Don't think real change on the pitch will happen until the owners are gone

Arteta has picked up the legacy of that, he wasn't there at the Emirates start so he can't be blamed for that

• Advertisement

Azatadine wrote: »

Evidence... There's is no evidence it's belief

Auba, yeah bad patch but a team doesn't revolve around one player

I think the problem with the owners isn't money , They only took full control 3 years ago maybe 2 I could be wrong , They had to replace Wenger who pretty much did everything at the club , probably even paid the tea ladies ffs

If there guilty of anything it's naivety when they put Gazidas in charge there was a plan they had Sven for scouting Raul for doing the deals (more on him ) and Emery as the head coach seemed a good fit , then Gazidas ****ed off the 1st chance he got and recommended Raul to take over

Why did they take the word of Ivan the Terrible why not interview for the job , they handed the keys to Sanlehi who in turn pushed Sven out the door , they backed Raul with money and he screwed us with Pepe , his mate was the transfer guy over there I recall and they needed the exact amount we paid them (so ****ing fishy people are throwing down nets)

Remember Raul wanted to give Emery a new contract after Baku , Emery eventually dragged us down and got sacked and they brought in Arteta again on word of mouth , Pep's assistant with no expeirience now I like him and givien time i still think he'll come good

Now that Raul is gone we have Edu and Mikel and i'm still not sure on the setup i mean the signings of Cedric, Willian and Mari throw up huge warning signals , we'll see i guess i think Mikel was unlucky to have missed out on Aour a player we're sorely lacking and again unlucky to lose Partey

Brilliant post as ever Brian, totally agree

Arteta has picked up the legacy of that, he wasn't there at the Emirates start so he can't be blamed for that

No im not saying he is to blame, I'm just voicing a very real frustration from fans

If Auba has indeed downed tools it might be because certain promises that were made to him regarding new players coming in were not kept. I read somewhere that he wanted improvements in the attack to be guaranteed before he signed ( can’t remember where I read that).
    Regardless of whether that is true or not the problem is now Arteta’s.
    Playing too many light young lads at the same time is not working either.
    The squad needs to be seriously strengthened. Our bench is even weaker than it has been for years.

If Auba has indeed downed tools it might be because certain promises that were made to him regarding new players coming in were not kept. I read somewhere that he wanted improvements in the attack to be guaranteed before he signed ( can’t remember where I read that).
    Regardless of whether that is true or not the problem is now Arteta’s.
    Playing too many light young lads at the same time is not working either.
    The squad needs to be seriously strengthened. Our bench is even weaker than it has been for years.

I really don't believe that Auba has thrown his toys out of the pram. He's gone through a lean spell, mostly because we have been so lacking in creativity and this has really had an impact on his confidence. He's actually getting worse and the performance against Wolves was a real low. He just needs a goal or 2 though and he'll be on the way back

• Advertisement

Maybe he's caught Ozil19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Exactly he hasn't got the players at his disposal to implement his plan i don't think. January is a massive window for Arsenal

Agree with your first part but what really big signings are ever done in January or more importantly what top players are available in January. Getting rid of a certain German and finding a loan move for Saliba are about as much as we can hope for I think. Next summer will be the making or breaking of our club, genuinely if we don't get next Summer right we are in serious danger of becoming permanent also rans.

We are currently an also ran, but it is not terminal, if we fail to improve under another manager and fail to make the Champions League say for another 2-3 years then its a hell of a long road back, we will become what we laughed at Spurs for being for the last 30 years, mid table fodder with delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

OK reality check here...

Well said. Give the man time to get the squad changed. Massive summer with a lot of wages dead weight gone. Also we are only 5 points off 4th too. You swear it's 25 points by the lads calling for Arteta's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I do feel we are a awful similar to Man United until they got Bruno.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I do feel we are a awful similar to Man United until they got Bruno.

One player won’t fix us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

One player won’t fix us.

Bruno has helped galvanise everyone else around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DenMan wrote: »

Does he have balls though?
    Well said. Give the man time to get the squad changed. Massive summer with a lot of wages dead weight gone. Also we are only 5 points off 4th too. You swear it's 25 points by the lads calling for Arteta's head.

We're 2 points off Man City, and I don't see many calling for Pep's head.

Maybe but if you compare our squad to any of the top 6/7 man for man it will tell you how weak we are.

Early signs are that Cavani will have a similar effect - although he's very much for the short term

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does he have balls though?

He does indeed. You won’t see him pulling out of challengers or hiding. Good player 🤪

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    I really don't believe that Auba has thrown his toys out of the pram. He's gone through a lean spell, mostly because we have been so lacking in creativity and this has really had an impact on his confidence. He's actually getting worse and the performance against Wolves was a real low. He just needs a goal or 2 though and he'll be on the way back

I’m only asking if it’s possible from an article I read.

You talk about creativity and I agree with you that we’re creating very little.
    Very few chances created and only 2 goals in our last 6 games is terrible.

Not many of us has any time for Ozil yet he has an incredible record for creating those chances but has been sent into Limbo. Not even in the panel. Was this a mistake or an impossible dilemma foisted on Arteta? His creativity is what we’re lacking for sure.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Agree with your first part but what really big signings are ever done in January or more importantly what top players are available in January. Getting rid of a certain German and finding a loan move for Saliba are about as much as we can hope for I think. Next summer will be the making or breaking of our club, genuinely if we don't get next Summer right we are in serious danger of becoming permanent also rans.

We are currently an also ran, but it is not terminal, if we fail to improve under another manager and fail to make the Champions League say for another 2-3 years then its a hell of a long road back, we will become what we laughed at Spurs for being for the last 30 years, mid table fodder with delusions of grandeur.

Well we could easily get Auour or Sabozlai ( not correct spelling) in January and they would transform our midfield from a creative side, you only have to look at how shocking Utd were until Fernández came in to see how much 1 player can make a difference. I don't think we can wait until the summer to get some of these signings in.
    Also I wouldn't be paying much heed to the scripted statement Auour gave about staying put until the summer.

Well we could easily get Auour or Sabozlai ( not correct spelling) in January and they would transform our midfield from a creative side, you only have to look at how shocking Utd were until Fernández came in to see how much 1 player can make a difference. I don't think we can wait until the summer to get some of these signings in.
    Also I wouldn't be paying much heed to the scripted statement Auour gave about staying put until the summer.

Lyon are not going to sell him in January with no chance to replace him. They are involved in a title race.

Lyon are not going to sell him in January with no chance to replace him. They are involved in a title race.

That won't make a blind bit of difference, Lyon are still in the same financial trouble they were in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Also we are only 5 points off 4th too. You swear it's 25 points by the lads calling for Arteta's head.

Look, you are being dramatic with some of this stuff. At times we get kind of emotional about the whole mess we are in and frustration comes out in the posts but nobody is really shouting for Arteta's head. I do feel entitled to question whether or not he has the ability to change the situation though.

At the moment we are more or less unwatchable and the same players that performed pretty well throughout last year and earlier this season are now incapable of performing. What's causing that? Arteta has the task of pulling us out of it. If he's able to.

And after signing a few no-marks over the summer the usual will claim we're about to turn the corner, we'll get off to a middling start, the players will need time to "bed-in", by February they'll have bedded into mediocrity, we'll hear that there was no value available in January but just you wait til the summer, then we'll solve all the issues and maybe with a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

And after signing a few no-marks over the summer the usual will claim we're about to turn the corner, we'll get off to a middling start, the players will need time to "bed-in", by February they'll have bedded into mediocrity, we'll hear that there was no value available in January but just you wait til the summer, then we'll solve all the issues and maybe with a new manager.

Your consistent, I'll give ya that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

It's quite depressing lately, aint it? I mean, dropping like flies, sick, dying all around us, amid a pandemic, and we are all worried about football. I used to think football was a distraction from the way of life we lead, but it seems now that the team we all love is only making it all worse. Or is it?

It does take the mind off all the hurt misery and pain of real life. My other half is a paramedic and fireman and he is burned out with everything that's going on. But he gets relief from it all when he turns the TV on to watch the Gunners. Admittedly, he ends up pissed off like the rest of us, but for those fleeting moments, he's not bothered by life and death! I don't care what Shankley said... Football is not more important than that.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Your consistent, I'll give ya that much.

When something changes I'll change my views. I've had a couple of moments of hope but they were swiftly extinguished by a regression to the mean.
    Even just that thing doing the rounds about our xG conceded suggests results have been better than they "should" have been. I've noticed as well that in the last 3-4 years any suggestion that we've had bad luck has gotten less and less common. We're often outplayed around the pitch. Teams don't just pack 10 men back and hope to maybe possibly nick a goal, they're often happy to take us on these days.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    My other half is a fireman and he is burned out.

Very dry, but it made me laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Teams don't just pack 10 men back and hope to maybe possibly nick a goal, they're often happy to take us on these days.

If anything if you have a go at us, you'll win. The teams that have given us too much respect & stood off are the ones that we've gotten points from.

Dreading this spurs game. If they're up for it & we play like we did v Villa or Wolves and it could be a tonking.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    If anything if you have a go at us, you'll win. The teams that have given us too much respect & stood off are the ones that we've gotten points from.

Dreading this spurs game. If they're up for it & we play like we did v Villa or Wolves and it could be a tonking.

The problem with Spurs is that they can have a go at us and win, or they can sit back and soak up our non-existent attack then score on the counter.

Still hopeful we can pull one out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

DvB wrote: »

every single player should be sacked if they cant be bothered

OmegaGene wrote: »
    David Luiz seems to be doing fine and is being monitored at home by the club doctor and will miss the europa game according to arsenals Instagram page

There's talk that Arsenal could be sanctioned for allowing Luiz to continue. I presume it will be a fine, nothing more, but seemed crazy to allow him to continue.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He should have been taken really but that’s just my opinion, club medics must have thought he was fine

Rules need to be tightened with head injuries, to stop club medics making decisions potentially influenced by the club.

• Advertisement

As I said when it happened, the whole head injury thing is completely amateur in football. It's laughable.

Basil3 wrote: »
    As I said when it happened, the whole head injury thing is completely amateur in football. It's laughable.
    It's disgraceful really.

It seems unfair fining Dundalk €50,000 but rules are rules. Filippo Giovanogli cannot have anymore input for the Molde and Arsenal games.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/1202/1181861-dundalk-fined-50-000-by-uefa-for-shadow-coaching/

Fred stayed on the pitch there where Pepe was sent off last week.

Fred stayed on the pitch there where Pepe was sent off last week.

Ah yeah, there's no consistency, especially when it comes to European matches.

It's like van Persie getting a red card for kicking a ball after a whistle he didn't hear, when in any other match it wouldn't even be a free kick, let alone a card.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement