Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This performance is dire. No urgency at all.

We've managed to win a few games but I dont see much improvement. Happy to win them but still very poor fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This is like an ole end of season friendly. Very little drive or urgency on show. Palace are average at best, this looks like 2 handy points left behind.
    Hoping for a scrappy last minute winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Really missed Tierney’s runs and crosses tonight. We look very ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I am so sick of Pepe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Really missed Tierney’s runs and crosses tonight. We look very ordinary.

I said it at the start he’s actually or most effective attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Could have done with that bo$$ix Ozil tonight!

You can't score goals if you don't shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Might have been better to rest Tierney against Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Glad I watched all of that.

Dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Goalless draw I'm weak.. Can't breakdown that Palace defence. only good thing is the clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Basil3 wrote: »
    You can't score goals if you don't shoot.

I'm convinced that's something that Arteta has instilled (maybe not by design but its an outcome from something else).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Best described as forgettable.
    Nothing to add on that really, I'm impressed I stayed awake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Does Pepe really expect to get back into the team with horse ****e performances like that? Christ he's infuriating to watch, he's got to go in the summer imo

Tired performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

El Sueño wrote: »
    Does Pepe really expect to get back into the team with horse ****e performances like that? Christ he's infuriating to watch, he's got to go in the summer imo

Agreed. Times up for him. He brings literally nothing to the team. He's not even average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

We paid for having to make a few changes.

Missing our difference makers (Martinelli & Tierney)

Move on and at least we kept a clean sheet.

Just not good enough

Arteta is gone if he hits this slump again, he breaths no life into the team absolutely zero

Azatadine wrote: »
    I'm convinced that's something that Arteta has instilled (maybe not by design but its an outcome from something else).

It's strange, and then you get Xhaka throwing in a speculative shot near the end from a terrible position.

• Advertisement

Positives having Partey back, a clean sheet, Leno and Xhaka solid and Tierney to come straight back into the team. Negatives now is having to wait until Monday now for the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm not sure what people were expecting there. There's no easy games in the prem, Palace played up as they usually do against the big clubs.

We survived a few hairy moments in the first half but we controlled the second half almost completely, just failed to find a winner (or really create any good chances) when Palace were out on their feet towards the end.

Badly missed Tierney and Maitland-Niles at LB is an experiment I can't see them repeating. He was woeful, and the lack of actual cover for Tierney meant that to hook him we had to move Saka to left back.

I thought Xhaka had a very Xhaka game, was immense at times but a couple of brainfarts that could easily have been punished let him down. Smith-Rowe showed the perils of putting all your hopes in young lads at the very start of their career with minimal league experience. Bellerin defended well but showed he is still playing Wengerball in the attacking third. If we could clone a KT with a right foot we would be set.

Palace are a very settled, experienced team. When they put their mind to it they often grind out results against the odds. We are very much a work in progress, worth remembering that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

DenMan wrote: »
    Positives having Partey back, a clean sheet, Leno and Xhaka solid and Tierney to come straight back into the team. Negatives now is having to wait until Monday now for the next game.

Negative for me is that that was not one point gained, it was definitely 2 points lost.

Still much better than before the Chelsea game, but not great today.

Drives me mad looking at how tight the whole league is not picking up two easy points will make a big difference to where we end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

4th clean sheet in a row. Leno saved us with that top class save. Newcastle again on Monday enjoy your weekends. Ciao

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Bellerin said palace defended well with many players and arsenal lacked creativity

Bellerin really annoys me. Poor passer, useless under the high ball and poor positioning. Has been poor for 3 years or more.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm not sure what people were expecting there. There's no easy games in the prem, Palace played up as they usually do against the big clubs.

We survived a few hairy moments in the first half but we controlled the second half almost completely, just failed to find a winner (or really create any good chances) when Palace were out on their feet towards the end.

Badly missed Tierney and Maitland-Niles at LB is an experiment I can't see them repeating. He was woeful, and the lack of actual cover for Tierney meant that to hook him we had to move Saka to left back.

I thought Xhaka had a very Xhaka game, was immense at times but a couple of brainfarts that could easily have been punished let him down. Smith-Rowe showed the perils of putting all your hopes in young lads at the very start of their career with minimal league experience. Bellerin defended well but showed he is still playing Wengerball in the attacking third. If we could clone a KT with a right foot we would be set.

Palace are a very settled, experienced team. When they put their mind to it they often grind out results against the odds. We are very much a work in progress, worth remembering that.

You can make all the points you want it’s a poor performance and point. Liverpool who are a big team beat them 7-0

Newcastle who we play next beat them 2-0 at Palace.

It’s not just the result it’s the performance and it’s simply not good enough we needed that win big time

• Advertisement

Bellerin said palace defended well with many players and arsenal lacked creativity

An honest assessment. I expect a much improved performance against Newcastle. Bruce might be gone not long after should results still go against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Arteta said he can’t fault the spirit or the fight in the team
    I was only half listening but I think he said he doesn’t know if tierney will be back for Monday, he’s going for an mri tomorrow

Im hoping he didn’t say tierney

He did :(
    Hopefully it's nothing serious! Although an MRI suggests it's more than just the muscle tightness they said before the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

He did :(
    Hopefully it's nothing serious! Although an MRI suggests it's more than just the muscle tightness they said before the game!

I did a double take on mri.....

Bellerin really annoys me. Poor passer, useless under the high ball and poor positioning. Has been poor for 3 years or more.

Thought he defended very well tonight. Zaha got very little out of him

greendom wrote: »
    Thought he defended very well tonight. Zaha got very little out of him

He defended ok but his passing was poor in their half, putting the ball behind the man and often giving it away in good positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

DenMan wrote: »

Having watched the game tonight I'd nearly class that as a positive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Well, considering he’s done a cruciate 2 years ago, that’s a bit unfair! It takes way more than 12/15 months to get back up to speed after such a serious injury, especially for elite athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Attacking 4 just didn't perform at all, that's where my blame lies. Auba, Lacca, Saka & ESR just weren't good enough 2night. Games like that u need one of them to do something special/creative yet in the final 3rd they were slow and predictable.

Ps palace defended very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

A frustrating night thats for sure, one its best forget about fairly quickly

We're in the middle of the handiest run we'll have all season. 13/18 points from the next 6 is the minimum we should be expecting. Though I would've said 16/21 before last night.

Soups123 wrote: »
    You can make all the points you want it’s a poor performance and point. Liverpool who are a big team beat them 7-0

Newcastle who we play next beat them 2-0 at Palace.

It’s not just the result it’s the performance and it’s simply not good enough we needed that win big time

If you want to pull out random results they also drew with Spurs and beat United 3-1 at Old Trafford.

Obviously we want to win every game, but that isn't happening for us or anyone this season. We had to score early to make them change their gameplan and it didn't happen, a draw is far from the end of the world.

We're in the middle of the handiest run we'll have all season. 13/18 points from the next 6 is the minimum we should be expecting. Though I would've said 16/21 before last night.

Not sure what's handy about Southampton away and United at home, 2 of the next 3 if I'm not mistaken.

Before the Chelsea game we really were in serious trouble, beat Newcastle and that will be 13 out of 15 since then. That's a great return over a tricky period with games coming thick and fast.

We need to be a bit realistic about where we're going to finish, top 8 is a lot more likely than top 4 after the disaster we had in October and November. If we can keep clearing out the rubbish and get in 4-6 better replacements between now and the summer, we'll have a chance of getting back to the big time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You have a different fixture list to the one I have so!

Not sure what's handy about Southampton away and United at home, 2 of the next 3 if I'm not mistaken.
    I said we're in the middle of the handiest run we'll have all season. Current league position in brackets:
    Brighton (17)
    West Brom (19)
    Crystal Palace (13)
    Newcastle (15)
    Southamption (7)
    United (1)
    Wolves (14)
    Villa (8)
    Leeds (12)

That's 6 of 9 bottom half teams.

After that it's

City (3)
    Leicester (4)
    Burnley (16)
    Spurs (6)
    West Ham (10)
    Liverpool (2)

So yeah, we're in the middle of what should be the handiest run we're likely to have all season.

Before the Chelsea game we really were in serious trouble, beat Newcastle and that will be 13 out of 15 since then. That's a great return over a tricky period with games coming thick and fast.

We need to be a bit realistic about where we're going to finish, top 8 is a lot more likely than top 4 after the disaster we had in October and November. If we can keep clearing out the rubbish and get in 4-6 better replacements between now and the summer, we'll have a chance of getting back to the big time next year.

All the more reason to be picking up straightforward points while we have the chance.

• Advertisement

February is a hard month for us on paper, difficult games.
    But in fairness we should be beating Palace at home especially when we’re after having a good run and when confidence should be at its highest.

Poor result last night imo and poor performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So we've to pay 8M to give our world cup winning player to Fenerbache? Absolute nonsense.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So we've to pay 8M to give our world cup winning player to Fenerbache? Absolute nonsense.

I don't know the ins/outs but I'm pretty sure it's not that simple. Otherwise they'd let him rot on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

emmetlego wrote: »
    I don't know the ins/outs but I'm pretty sure it's not that simple. Otherwise they'd let him rot on the bench

If he's sold, the 8m becomes an 'exceptional cost' which is easier to offset, its no longer coming out of the wage pool which helps us, but it's still 8m they don't want to pay

He's becoming a cancer around the place, it's a sorry end for a player I genuinely loved for years. He definitely didn't act in the club's interests over the past few years, it all started with the falling out in Germany for me.

He's becoming a cancer around the place, it's a sorry end for a player I genuinely loved for years. He definitely didn't act in the club's interests over the past few years, it all started with the falling out in Germany for me.

Did the club act in his interests?

And what exactly did he do that went against the clubs interests? The official line is that he was sidelined for footballing reasons, in other words he is sh*t, well if that equates to acting against the clubs interests then we have a long list of culprits!

So the German national football team, Arsenal (over 3 managers) are all wrong and Ozil is correct?

1 common denominator

None of us are privy to the exact story, so it would appear, law of averages, that Mesut is a bit of a ****

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Did the club act in his interests?

And what exactly did he do that went against the clubs interests? The official line is that he was sidelined for footballing reasons, in other words he is sh*t, well if that equates to acting against the clubs interests then we have a long list of culprits!

The club paid his wages, handsomely for 7 years and gave him a platform. Aside from that it is not up to the club to act in any player's interests. The club has to act in the club's interests; it has to go on forever, they're only ever temporary custodians of the shirt, the ones who go down in history never need reminding of that.

emmetlego wrote: »
    So the German national football team, Arsenal (over 3 managers) are all wrong and Ozil is correct?

1 common denominator

None of us are privy to the exact story, so it would appear, law of averages, that Mesut is a bit of a ****

Wow that's some re writing of history.

Ozil has over 90 caps with Germany, they won a World Cup with him playing a huge part. Ozil ended his Germany career not anyone involved in the German National team.

Wenger signed him played him in over 150 games and offered him the bumper contract he is on now a mere 6 months before he retired, am I missing something??

I for one don't believe for a second that either Emery or Arteta have had any say in the matter, but I do agree with your assertion that none of us have any idea what has happened, and I for one blame the club for that.

If it is for footballing reasons as some here are suggesting or because he is a **** then why all the crap about made up injuries - which also implies that both Arteta and Emery are liars - and why has not a single member of the Arsenal squad said anything negative about him?

• Advertisement

The club paid his wages, handsomely for 7 years and gave him a platform. Aside from that it is not up to the club to act in any player's interests. The club has to act in the club's interests; it has to go on forever, they're only ever temporary custodians of the shirt, the ones who go down in history never need reminding of that.

But took that platform away and lied about the reasons why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement