Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

So from the Press conference this morning the headlines are:

We are now looking for a left footed left back to cover Tierney.
    Arteta knows who the mole in the dressing room was.
    When asked has the mole now the left the club he replied no comment.
    We are now focusing on incoming players.
    He would not comment on Odegaard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Left back cover for Tierney and a capable GK sub must be the priorities this window, as well as trimming the fat.

For the much wanted number 10 I'd rather see them do due diligence and make it our big summer signing. I'd rather it be one of the best available full stop rather than the best available off Norwich in January for under 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Left back cover for Tierney and a capable GK sub must be the priorities this window, as well as trimming the fat.

For the much wanted number 10 I'd rather see them do due diligence and make it our big summer signing. I'd rather it be one of the best available full stop rather than the best available off Norwich in January for under 20m.

Getting that Norwegian lad from Real Madrid on loan for the rest of the season would be great. Games are coming thick and fast and Smith-Rowe shouldn't be expected to carry that burden alone, and there is no one else in the squad who can do that type of role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

The looking for another number 10 I dont see the real need to be honest, would like more of a carzola for the midfield two, even a rosiky then can break lines with runs and passing.

For the number 10 you have ASR and if he gets injured I would say Saka and then if that's not an opinion I would say willian ( hoping he will get sum form at sum stage)

Back up keeper as boring as it is must be sorted and a young sub left back, either from the club youth system or buying.

greendom wrote: »
    Getting that Norwegian lad from Real Madrid on loan for the rest of the season would be great. Games are coming thick and fast and Smith-Rowe shouldn't be expected to carry that burden alone, and there is no one else in the squad who can do that type of role.

Sounds like he's heading back to Real Sociedad, he was also on loan there last season

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's a recognisable name but has he really kicked on since his teenage hype? Coming into a new league without a huge amount of experience I would be tentative. If ESR stays fit he won't play anyway you would think.

We've had Ceballos who came in as an U/19 and U/21 Euro winner from Real already and while at times I love him has he really done enough to convince us we should be looking to make the deal permanent?

This is the problem with these loans, you're only keeping them warm for the owning club and when they're gone you're down a player, and you've probably pissed off the players you do own who they've kept out of the team in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’ll interested to see if Cedric’s performance the other night is the kick in the **** Bellerin needed to make him up his game too.

We need another keeper and I think a creative midfielder too. ESR is great but with games coming thick and fast the only other player for that position is Cellebos who is also a loanee and who could leave in the summer.

The urgent positions that we need to fix is left back replacement for Tierney if he’s injured, second keeper and creative midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know Runnarson had a howler against City but is it possible he just had a disastrous night? Surely he can't be that bad. I haven't seen enough of him to comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

wonga77 wrote: »
    I know Runnarson had a howler against City but is it possible he just had a disastrous night? Surely he can't be that bad. I haven't seen enough of him to comment

Same as that, havent seen enough to know either way, I remember Kellehers debut for Liverpool!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I'd say if Arteta is watching him in training every day and still wants us to sign a new backup keeper, that says all we need to know about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'd say if Arteta is watching him in training every day and still wants us to sign a new backup keeper, that says all we need to know about him.

Has Arteta or the club confirmed that we are in the market for a keeper? Havent heard any quotes attributed to them but I may have missed them. Te whole Macey situation doesnty make much sense either and does suggest that perhaps there is a keeper coming in.

We know only too well that 90% of what the papers print is pure muck and lazy 2 plus 2 type journalism.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Don’t you think bellerin has improved recently maybe that’s because he’s playing without Willian or he is finally getting over his injury

I have a thing about Bellerin in that I find him poor in the air for a defender.
    He has lost far more heading duels than he has won, his crossing accuracy is around 17%, his total assists amount to 20 since he arrived with only 2 this season, his tackling is very good though and he wins a lot more than he loses.I think his speed was his main asset as he used to be very good at taking his man on, he’s slower now and prefers to pass backwards a lot these days.

It’s just my take on him.
    I thought Cedric was very good the other night and that’s great. It might keep Bellerin on his toes.

Tbh Bellerin is a lovely fella but football wise I think we know his ceiling, I'd rather get 30m for him this summer and take a chance on getting Lamptey from Brighton, we have Cedric then as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

OK so you all know I'm Folarins number one fan :) but hearing tonight that he is looking for 60k a week to sign. I'm sorry but if that's true, at 20k a week more than Saka and ESR, he doesn't deserve to wear the badge.

Don’t believe much, if any, of what you read in the newspapers or rumour mill.

Don’t believe much, if any, of what you read in the newspapers or rumour mill.

Didn't come from a newspaper that's what concerns me

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

so Odegaard looks pretty good doesn't;t he? Apparently he was all set to go to Sociedad and then we came in with a loan offer. nothing decided yet by all accounts but he's reported as tempted by Arsenal.

would be good imo f it meant ESR continues to develop without being too burdened and might increase our chances of a cup or even top 4 (dare i say it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Imagine being 19 years old and being in a position to try negotiate a 60k a week salary...

beers doesnt read the newspapers for info, he has the insider knowledge the press can only dream of having :D

I can't read :D

It wasn't you that got me into trouble once before was it :p remember when we went viral on a comment and i made the press :rolleyes:

Emmet knows my contacts but she's sworn to secrecy

Imagine being 19 years old and being in a position to try negotiate a 60k a week salary...

He will get it elsewhere and in five years we will be criticised for letting him go, BUT, granting that here would be so detrimental to the likes of Saka and ESR, we are right to let him go. I suspect he could end up at Liverpool.

I love the fact that we are finally getting to grips on wages, Luiz will be out by the summer, reserving judgement on Willian for a while as I think he may just regain form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Liverpool result would bring a tear to your eye ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Long home unbeaten record gone! Utd will knock them out of the cup now on Sunday. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

We've taken 10 points more than them over the past 5 games. What is going on?

Enjoyed that Burnley win. Dyche is some boy. Ben Mee was outstanding and Pope is a great keeper.
    We could battling with Liverpool for a Top.4 place yet 😂🙏

It's a mad season and the lack of fans has nullified any home advantage, hence the weird results and weird looking table. Anything can happen in the next 19 or so games.

Someone weird might win the league and the top 4 could also end up looking weird, never say never. A season like no other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

60k a week for a 19 year old who hasn't started a premier league game is madness

60k a week for a 19 year old who hasn't started a premier league game is madness

I find that hard to believe.
    What agent is going to look for that kind of money for an unproven youth player.
    It would ba good excuse from the club though for allowing him to go.

Like 60K is madness. Could be true, might not be true.
    It will be interesting to see what fee if any is divulged if he does leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Paying Balogun anywhere near as much as players who've actually contributed this season such as Saka and ESR would be lunacy.

Paying him more than those would be idiotic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I find that hard to believe.
    What agent is going to look for that kind of money for an unproven youth player.
    It would ba good excuse from the club though for allowing him to go.

Like 60K is madness. Could be true, might not be true.
    It will be interesting to see what fee if any is divulged if he does leave.

I wouldn't find it that hard to believe. Just doing quick math, his agent gets him to sign for Liverpool. He get's a £5M signing on fee, and £28k a week contract for 3 years. That's actually more for the player than if he stays at Arsenal on £60k a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Lots of reports this morning that Arsenal & Madrid have an agreement over Odegaard.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47maejmkkxpy7ymcx40dv31c621cxmicx14hmq2njk&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Lots of reports this morning that Arsenal & Madrid have an agreement over Odegaard.

At the risk of sounding out of the loop, is this guy 'that' good? Since the original hype when he signed for MAdrid i've heard little about him, certainly not enough to get me excited at the prospect of him joining us for a few months.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

better text edu and tell him to stop fecking around with him then :D

LOL...

Genuinely haven't heard much of him since the initial signing and given the underwhelming impact at Madrid just concerned that he could arrive with a load of hype & expectation and not be all that 'great'. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he's the bees knees, I suppose I'm just cautious of getting too excited is all.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

DvB wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding out of the loop, is this guy 'that' good? Since the original hype when he signed for MAdrid i've heard little about him, certainly not enough to get me excited at the prospect of him joining us for a few months.

Haven't seen that much of him tbh, he has a eye for a nice pass though. Supposedly very good for Sociedad last season.

Hopefully he hits the ground running and can slot in for either ESR or Saka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

I've only seen him play a handful of times but has always been a very technical player with excellent ball carrying and passing. He does seem quite one footed (left) but definitely has quality.

Has been a key player for Real Sociead last season with 7 goals and 9 assists in 36 games.

Would be excellent to get him to support ESR's development at reportedly good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Odegaard would be a very good option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think there will be a massive clearout at Madrid in the summer starting with Zidane himself.

I know Ornstein isn't as close as he used to be but there are a few sources saying similar to this

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1352550423966658561?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Advertisement

Signing him on loan means we are getting rid of someone else or Odegaard isn't coming as I think it leaves us with one too many non home grown players if we get them both.
    I also thought we're only allowed loan 2 players at any one time?

They kept that very close to the chest. One problem area sorted. Happy days

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Safe to say the mole is gone out of the club. Not a peep about Mat Ryan in the media or anywhere. The Arsenal are back!!!

Signing him on loan means we are getting rid of someone else or Odegaard isn't coming as I think it leaves us with one too many non home grown players if we get them both.

U can loan way more then 2 players. Don't know where that story ever came from.

U can only loan two from premier League clubs. U can have I think between 5-7 actually in on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kolasinac was registered and is gone

AdamD wrote: »
    Kolasinac was registered and is gone

Yes, and Ryan will take up that spot.
    And who's spot will Odegaard take up if he comes in?

There are some people saying Ryan has a UK passport so might be a non-issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Thought he was hard done by, by Brighton, was watching them the other night and the goalie they had who replaced him wasn't exactly great. Glad to get a good back up goalie in, even if it is only on loan and the fact that he's a fan makes it even better.

Good signing, might never need him but we're definitely sufficiently covered now should anything happen to Leno.

He holds a UK passport according to his wiki so registration slots won't be an issue.

Good signing, might never need him but we're definitely sufficiently covered now should anything happen to Leno.

He holds a UK passport according to his wiki so registration slots won't be an issue.

He'll be our Europa league keeper and possibly FA Cup keeper if we go far again this year. Always thought he was decent for Brighton and was surprised when he lost his place. Not that I watch them that regularly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement