Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Tbf to Willian he has done well since coming in. Fairly tame attempt at a shot just after he came in but otherwise has looked to get involved in play for a change and won a few frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Another wasted free kick.

It seems to be that we've no set free taker. Just whoever fancies it at the time, we waste some amount of set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wonga77 wrote: »
    It seems to be that we've no set free taker. Just whoever fancies it at the time, we waste some amount of set pieces

Part of me is surprised we didn't knock it back into the centre circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pepes work rate has been brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Somebody had to make Martin Tyler aware of the fact Luiz and Cavani used to play together

One more chance please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

One more chance please.

Damm it. A draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I said a few days ago I would take a draw so I'm happy with that. We were the better team but both sides had decent chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Another clean sheet, props to De Gea on that Pepe and ESR chances. Should've won this game

4 pts taken from United.

• Advertisement

Cant really complain about a 0-0. Both teams had their chances. The players put in a shift and that's all you can ask.
    Would really like to see us work something more from our set-pieces though, we seem to squander an awful lot of them

Did not enjoy that. Happy enough to make them drop points, though.

Fair result in the end. I think we played fairly well, we just needed to convert one of those chances. We had 17 shots, which makes us much more entertaining to watch than we were a couple of months ago.

Very poor game and a draw is a fair result.
    Neither team went all out to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Definitely one of Pepe's best performances that I've seen

Thought Partey was our worst player, looking forward to him being fully match fit

Happy with a win and a draw over them this season, had the whole team been out there I’d say we would have beaten them handy enough.

Willian was surprisingly good best 45 he’s had for the club so far.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    To be fair we don’t have many players capable of a decent free kick these days

Lacazette can take them he just rarely does. Xhaka too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Happy enough with that, considering we were missing our 2 best attacking threats with KT and Saka missing.

Actually thought Pepe and Willian were decent, don't shoot me.

Luiz and Holding were good again.

Another clean sheet. Yeah, happy enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I think we had a really decent game, not a win but I'm happy with the way they chased the ball down. Defence was solid, Cedric wasn't bullied, even thought Willian showed a bit of his old form. Pepe looked sharper.... Imagine that with Auba, Tierney and Saka available and I think the future looks great

Can't complain about Pepe's performance but at the end of the day he just isn't good enough.
    Willian can **** off.

With a crowd in the stadium it wouldn't have seemed such a ****ty game. We hit the woodwork, few chances at each end.

Fingers crossed for a draw between Southampton and Villa now, keep us in 8th. :pac:

• Advertisement

Can't complain about Pepe's performance but at the end of the day he just isn't good enough.
    Willian can **** off.

With a crowd in the stadium it wouldn't have seemed such a ****ty game. We hit the woodwork, few chances at each end.

Fingers crossed for a draw between Southampton and Villa now, keep us in 8th. :pac:

Willian is taking time to settle but I stand alone and think he will come round. Certainly at club level there is nothing but support for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Willian was fine, perfectly functional 45 mins and he was fine when he came on against Southampton too. Maybe, just maybe, he's starting to turn a corner.

Had a quick snoop in the United thread and saw this cracker

“Arsenal were comically bad. Brutal. A shell of the club they used to be.”

So bad they couldn’t score a goal home and away lol and came away with only a point from a possible 6 against us

Not sure what game that mad cùnt was watching

Pepe:
    Most shots
    Most chances created
    Most fouled player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

To be fair we don’t have many players capable of a decent free kick these days

Considering we hit the bar from one a few moments earlier that's probably a little unfair.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Pepe:
    Most shots
    Most chances created
    Most fouled player

From having zero creativity a couple of months back we now seem to have a wealth of options. Pepe, Martinelli, Saka, Smith Rowe and now Odegaard. Looking forward to an exciting 2nd half to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

For the first time for me Pepe seems to be aware of the challenge of performing at the top level and reacting to it. For ages he just looked lost, wandering around aimlessly without any conviction.

Hopefully we're starting to see the emergence of a player here, it was sink or swim time for sure.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    For the first time for me Pepe seems to be aware of the challenge of performing at the top level and reacting to it. For ages he just looked lost, wandering around aimlessly without any conviction.

Hopefully we're starting to see the emergence of a player here, it was sink or swim time for sure.

I think him an William... Even Luiz played

I'm confident the Arteta project is working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

His basics were so much better today. Kept a hold of the ball, put in a defensive shift and offered some creativity. Hes combining well with Smith-Rowe too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Had a quick snoop in the United thread and saw this cracker

“Arsenal were comically bad. Brutal. A shell of the club they used to be.”

So bad they couldn’t score a goal home and away lol and came away with only a point from a possible 6 against us

I can taste the lemons from here :D

Liverpool looking to get Mustafi over the line in time for the Brighton match on Weds

Liverpool looking to get Mustafi over the line in time for the Brighton match on Weds

Ah, sugar, I'll be ragin' if we lose him. I can see why they'd be much better off with him.

(Work with me here guys).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Oh how I’d laugh :D Mustafi in a good setup alongside van Dijk would be fine. Instead of him though??? I don’t think Pool care if they leak a few goals though, they just want to move Fabinho out of defence and back into midfield

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah, sugar, I'll be ragin' if we lose him. I can see why they'd be much better off with him.

(Work with me here guys).

I'm outraged....

Does that help?

This would be up there with RVP to ManU and Cesc/Henry to Barca!

(was that ok @ol' donie?)

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    This would be up there with RVP to ManU and Cesc/Henry to Barca!

(was that ok @ol' donie?)

*too upset to reply*

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    *too upset to reply*

You need a visit to Piebury corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Martinez is the best keeper in the league this season. What was he doing at Arsenal all those years?

As a Villa fan I couldn't understand the signing and now I think he's sensational and one of best transfers in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

JPA wrote: »
    Martinez is the best keeper in the league this season. What was he doing at Arsenal all those years?

As a Villa fan I couldn't understand the signing and now I think he's sensational and one of best transfers in years.

Yeah, very good keeper, no one here was happy to see him go but Leno has proven his worth this season for any doubters he had left.

If you watch back the midweek game you'll see why he isn't the best in the league, but he's definitely a great signing.

I was disgusted at the time. He was fantastic. I hope he continues to produce the goods for ye. Leno has done very well though, especially lately. Part of the 2nd best defence this season. Strange times

• Advertisement

Yeah, very good keeper, no one here was happy to see him go but Leno has proven his worth this season for any doubters he had left.

If you watch back the midweek game you'll see why he isn't the best in the league, but he's definitely a great signing.

Actually the first game where I questioned something he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The team is starting to improve and gelled better, the dressing room has to be improving with cancer gone to turkey and with the transfer window some gone and the new guy hopefully hits the ground running.
    There has being injuries to players and they need time to get back up to full fitness and not rushed back into the team and break down again.
    Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

https://twitter.com/HaleEndArsenal/status/1355817270484860929?s=19

Our attack will improve soon but we can clearly see Arteta was focus on improving our defence

5star02707 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/HaleEndArsenal/status/1355817270484860929?s=19

Our attack will improve soon but we can clearly see Arteta was focus on improving our defence

The attack has already improved greatly with the introduction of ESR & Saka as regulars. Just a pity Auba has been so out of sorts

Very good keeper for six months for us, but he wasn’t getting on the team for 11 years for a reason
    Good luck to him and I hope he makes it at a top club soon :D

What's the reason? Nobody answered that part.

No idea. Looking at how well he played when he finally got a shot I think he should have been tried out much before.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Supposedly he wanted assurances that he'd be number 1 (which was fair enough on how he had performed, albeit a small sample size probably scared the club!) until he'd lose it on merit or whatever and Arteta couldn't give him what he wanted.

That keeper coach we got in a while back, Inaki Cana, did wonders with him and Leno. Great to see Emi has kept it up since - there aren't many people like him in professional football these days. He's a top man.

Well the coaches hardly sat a jewel in the crown on the bench for fun for over a decade, other keepers must have been better in training

This. He had plenty of loans over the last 8/9 years but I don’t remember hearing that he’d impressed at any of those clubs until maybe Reading after which he was made number 2. If he had earlier you’d be keen to see him given the number 2 spot to challenge for his place in the team. Arsenal have had respectable backup goalies until recently too so there was always somebody in his way

L'prof wrote: »
    This. He had plenty of loans over the last 8/9 years but I don’t remember hearing that he’d impressed at any of those clubs until maybe Reading after which he was made number 2. If he had earlier you’d be keen to see him given the number 2 spot to challenge for his place in the team. Arsenal have had respectable backup goalies until recently too so there was always somebody in his way

Conceding 5 against reading probably didn’t help his chances of getting into the first team back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Leno was number one and was good.

Martinez only chance to play was to move to another team.

You don't simply put your number one away after an injury because another keeper stepped in and did well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement