Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Talisman wrote: »
    The lesser of two evils?

Van Persie was in the form of his life having scored 30 league goals and they sold him for £24M. To put it in context that was the same transfer window where Chelsea bought Hazard for over £30M, Tottenham sold Modric for £30M and Aston Villa signed the little known Christian Benteke for £12-15M. Four years previously, Man Utd paid Tottenham £31M for Berbatov.

Arsenal rolled over and gifted Ferguson his final league title, the Premier League prize money alone would have paid the transfer fee.

Arsenal took 24m as it was that or let him go for free 12 months later. So its not really an accurate comparison.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

What is in his clause?
    When Liverpool signed Firmino in 2015/16, the club supposedly added a €100M buyout clause to the contract that could be activated by any club except Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The lesser of two evils?

United instead of City? Yes

DvB wrote: »
    Arsenal took 24m as it was that or let him go for free 12 months later. So its not really an accurate comparison.
    That's a bit of a cop out. If Ferguson had won the 2011/12 league title, he would have retired but his team lost the league on goal difference. He was desperate for one last hurrah and would have paid any price for the player whose goals would guarantee him that final title.

In 2011, Liverpool received £50M from Chelsea for a player with 18 months on his contract. To date, Chelsea have been paid €140M of a potential €157M for Eden Hazard a player who was entering the final year of his contract.

Maybe Chelsea and Liverpool have personnel who are better at reading such situations and negotiating accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That's a bit of a cop out.

Not really. But if you cant see the differences in the different situations you presented I can't assist you further.

Stay safe.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That's a bit of a cop out. If Ferguson had won the 2011/12 league title, he would have retired but his team lost the league on goal difference. He was desperate for one last hurrah and would have paid any price for the player whose goals would guarantee him that final title.

In 2011, Liverpool received £50M from Chelsea for a player with 18 months on his contract. To date, Chelsea have been paid €140M of a potential €157M for Eden Hazard a player who was entering the final year of his contract.

Maybe Chelsea and Liverpool have personnel who are better at reading such situations and negotiating accordingly.

Maybe Chelsea and Liverpool are better at reading such situations, maybe they got lucky? They have both made terrible transfer choices as well.

By your logic, Arsenal are good at reading such situations due to the cherry-picked example of us selling the injury-prone under-performing Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool for £35m.

DvB wrote: »
    Not really. But if you cant see the differences in the different situations you presented I can't assist you further.

Stay safe.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Fùck I thought we’d signed somebody but nah we’re talking about the RVP transfer...gotta love boards.

https://twitter.com/HectorBellerin/status/1356241670149459971

Exciting Transfer Deadline Day news about Bellerin's new fashion range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I would say our new left back will be Ryan Bertrand. He's out of contract in the summer and 31 but that's where my money goes.....

5star02707 wrote: »
    Liverpool will be thanking Arsenal for terminating Mustafi's contract. The Kabak loan was dependent upon Shalke getting a player in.

Arsenal get another unwanted player off the payroll and Liverpool get a badly needed central defender - a positive outcome for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liverpool will be thanking Arsenal for terminating Mustafi's contract. The Kabak loan was dependent upon Shalke getting a player in.

Arsenal get another unwanted player off the payroll and Liverpool get a badly needed central defender - a positive outcome for both clubs.

I don't think they cancelled the contract. Reports coming in are that they will receive a 2M fee for a loan until the summer when Mustafi will be a free agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

I would say our new left back will be Ryan Bertrand. He's out of contract in the summer and 31 but that's where my money goes.....

I'd hope they go for Crystal Palace's Van Aanholt instead. Similarly, he's 30 and out of contract but while not as defensively solid, does get way more involved in build up play and chips in with a good few goals/assists (oddly enough, more goals than assists). Also a fair bit speedier and given how we rely on wingbacks contribution to the attack, think he would fit better.

Definitely have to get some sort of natural cover, even if Cedric can do a job.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't think they cancelled the contract. Reports coming in are that they will receive a 2M fee for a loan until the summer when Mustafi will be a free agent
    Is that an accounting thing to balance the books? Loaning him instaed of demanding a transfer fee.

Here's the tweet I had seen announcing the deal.
    https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1356256802367807489
    Shkodran Mustafi has reached the agreement with Arsenal to terminate his contract, confirmed! Schalke are set to sign him as Kabak replacement. Last steps as Liverpool are waiting to complete Kabak deal on loan with buy option.

Also as per Orny not expecting ins mostly out

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1356272546568658945?s=19

So who is going to cover LB? Will it be a case of Cedric covering left, and Chambers covering RB (is he even still with us?)

Basil3 wrote: »
    So who is going to cover LB? Will it be a case of Cedric covering left, and Chambers covering RB (is he even still with us?)

That would be a disaster waiting to happen. With games coming up thick and fast, we need a decent back up for the LB/RB positions each they play a key role in the style of play and having the wrong footed player there limits things hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I know it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul etc, but Saka could be emergency cover on both sides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Maitland-Niles to West Brom is supposedly a nearly done deal. He's to travel and have a medical there this evening. Hope Big Sam uses him well now. The player himself wanted to go to Leicester but the club was unwilling to let him go to a European cup place rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pretty sure they're all having their medicals at their home clubs due to travel restrictions but yeah, looks like it's nearly done.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Pretty sure they're all having their medicals at their home clubs due to travel restrictions but yeah, looks like it's nearly done.

Sky Sports News said he's travelling up there this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So Romano says we’re still looking for a left back and Ornstein says no more incomings expected. We’ll see who’s right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Liverpool paid £35m for Oxlade-Chamberlain with a year left on his deal. They also spent £35m on Andy Carroll. Enough said...

• Advertisement

Dani confirming that he's back to 100% fitness

Dani confirming that he's back to 100% fitness

Saw that. Another string to the bow! Also, Auba trained today with the squad apparently.

Any sign of a LB incoming beers?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Saw that. Another string to the bow! Also, Auba trained today with the squad apparently.

Any sign of a LB incoming beers?

I'd say not at this stage. I'd heard Bertrand was going to be done but apparently Southampton couldn't find a replacement and have a similar LB issue.

Zech Medley is the latest youngster to go out on loan to Kilmarnock.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
    Auba has returned to full training. Our thoughts and support continue to be with him and his family.

Dani Ceballos
    Left calf. Dani has returned to full training and his availability will be assessed ahead of Tuesday’s match.

Pablo Mari
    Right calf. Pablo has returned to full training and his availability will be assessed ahead of Tuesday’s match.

Mat Ryan
    Right hip. Mat is unavailable for Tuesday’s match. Hopeful to be back in full training in the coming days.

Bukayo Saka
    Right hip. Missed Saturday’s match with a sore hip. Bukayo has now returned to full training and his availability will be assessed ahead of Tuesday’s match.

Kieran Tierney
    Kieran is continuing to be assessed for discomfort in the right lower leg. Kieran is unavailable for Tuesday’s match

No hope of Auba or Tierney for Wolves & sounds like Kieran could be a way off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Mustafi confirmed gone to Schalke. No fee, contract was terminated. Signed for 35m in 2016

• Advertisement

35m down the drain I guess, didn't get anything from him

https://twitter.com/AFCUMD1/status/1356360723534929927?s=19

If the above wages are true probably estimates then thoe are big savings

Maitland-Niles still hasn't gone through yet, should be very soon. Surprised Liverpool are letting Minamino go out on loan to Southampton.

Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore as a country Harry Redknapp.

AMN done on loan to WBA according to Big Sam! I hope he is a roaring success and becomes the new Bergkamp. Denis, not his kid!

I was always a dreamer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The club really did exceptionally well shifting all the deadwood best clean up we’ve ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

emmetlego wrote: »
    AMN done on loan to WBA according to Big Sam! I hope he is a roaring success and becomes the new Bergkamp. Denis, not his kid!

I was always a dreamer!

Here’s hoping. I don’t think AMN or Willock have long left at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I like Willock and hope he still has a future at Arsenal.

I don't think we'll see AMN in an Arsenal shirt again unfortunately. I reckon he could be a top RB if he really wanted to. Very good defensively and a great athlete. He seems to think he's at his best further up the pitch though, which is strange because as a full back he probably offered us less than any of the others did going forward. Tbh I think he's a little bit deluded about what his best position is.

A good window for sure (if you can look past the giving away millions of pounds worth of players for free....again) but disappointed Nelson didnt get a loan, he badly needs it.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Maitland-Niles still hasn't gone through yet, should be very soon. Surprised Liverpool are letting Minamino go out on loan to Southampton.
    Liverpool have an issue with the Premier League rule that teams are not allowed any more than 17 non-homegrown players in their squad. In order to sign foreign players, the club needs to offload a few. Likely candidates to make way are Adrian, Matip (injured), Shaqiri, Minamino and Origi. The club has tried to offload Adrian, Shaqiri and Origi but the players have stayed for various reasons. Minamino hasn't yet settled at the club and sending him to Southampton is an opportunity for him to play regularly in the league for a manager who is already familiar to the player. Ralph Hasenhuttl previously managed Minamino at RB Salzburg so the playing style will be familiar to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

The clean out is fantastic but only if it allows investment in the club for next season and not to further line the owners pockets.

Looking forward to this evening's game now with the spring cleaning done. We're facing a Wolves team not in form and we're really starting to click. It's important that we win today. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

omega man wrote: »
    The clean out is fantastic but only if it allows investment in the club for next season and not to further line the owners pockets.

It won't be enough to offset the massive losses from no matchday revenue.

The French leagues are on the verge of collapse because of no TV deal, football has never been as vulnerable. Free and cheap deals plus getting some more wages off the bill will be the plan for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

So with the exodus of full backs. Guess it's Cedric as cover for both wings. Chambers can do right back and if we are badly stuck I guess Saka at left.

I can see why they didn't push the boat out to buy a dead weight 30+ year old back up left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

omega man wrote: »

Lack of crowds mean it is partly about keeping the club viable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know if Saka and Aubamayang are available for tonight?
    We created very few chances on Saturday.

Anyone know if Saka and Aubamayang are available for tonight?
    We created very few chances on Saturday.

Saka has a hip problem and is unlikely while Aubameyang is in quarantine and could be available so fingers crossed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/wolves-vs-arsenal/429053

OmegaGene wrote: »
    UEFA ruling could mean we play benfica in a one off game due to the quarantine rulings

Under rule K.1.8 of the Europa League rulebook, it states "the Uefa administration … has the right to assign an alternative venue for any particular match or even to decide that either or both legs of the relevant round to be rescheduled and/or played in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) and/or organised as a single leg".

Probably would be for the better with fixture congestion.

• Advertisement

djan wrote: »
    Probably would be for the better with fixture congestion.

Depends on the score after 90 mins :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement