Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Arsenal were quite good today really. Just a bit of bad luck and it can go that way. I wouldn't read much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

El Sueño wrote: »
    Not our night

Still think we were excellent before the Luiz red card

Hopefully it doesn't affect the confidence of the players

Best 45 minutes of the season for me. Only positive is it shouldn’t hit the confidence level as events destroyed it rather than performance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

x PyRo wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Arteta (not for the first time), idiotic interventions from our own players costing us time and time again.

Leno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mossie

Soups123 wrote: »
    Best 45 minutes of the season for me. Only positive is it shouldn’t hit the confidence level as events destroyed it rather than performance

Actually played well enough with 10 too for spells.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Quazzie wrote: »
    Conspiracy theoriests go against the grain. You're the one everyone disagrees with here by the way.

I didn't disagree with Soups123, nor did the referee, nor did VAR, not did Peter Walton or the rest of the BT Sport studio.

It was the correct decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

We look electric tonight

This aged well

This aged well

We still played well with 10 men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I know Luiz was great the other night and even up until the sending off but why wasn’t Gabriel starting in the first place? He’s been a key defender this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Wolves don't even try to take advantage.

We had better chance than them since we were 2 man down.

wonski wrote: »
    Wolves don't even try to take advantage.

We had better chance than them since we were 2 man down.

They been poor. They scored a pen and a once in a lifetime shot from distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

92 mins gone and our cb and goalie are playing one twos in the ****ing box

DenMan wrote: »
    Why do the BBC still have that tosser Mark Lawrenson on their books! He's gone with a 2-0 win for Wolves. Let's prove him wrong. COYG

He wasn't too far off in the end to be fair.

We’re not going down and probably not getting near top 4. Get over the disappointment of the defeat the first half was another sign of good progression, we look dangerous as hell now going forward and Partey looks the real deal.

If Arteta can clear out of the starting squad the ones still not at it then he can really bring us on.

I’ll take the first 45 minutes and just forget the rest

We’re not going down and probably not getting near top 4. Get over the disappointment of the defeat the first half was another sign of good progression, we look dangerous as hell now going forward and Partey looks the real deal.

If Arteta can clear out of the starting squad the ones still not at it then he can really bring us on.

I’ll take the first 45 minutes and just forget the rest

Even 20 to 30min of the 2nd half we looked good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Xhaka my man of the match. Held the midfield together

Worried about Runarsson starting the next match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

3 game ban for Leno, 1 for Luiz?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

Was actually a great ball in from the keepers last minute free kick.
    That’s as much as I can summon up!

3 for both, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'm not going to lose it over that one.

It was a freak game.

Arsenal were absolutely cruising, playing great stuff - and then a single moment changed everything, then a one in a million wonderstrike, then a totally inexplicable goalie mistake.

It was just one of those nights - it happens. You have to laugh sometimes.

Leno wasn’t serious foul play so is he not just one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Leno wasn’t serious foul play so is he not just one?

That would make sense, since the Luiz one wasn't serious foul play I'd imagine it's not a 3 game either though? It was more a professional foul?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

One of those games.

Could have been 3-0 up early on. Created some great stuff.

Luiz was unlucky with the clip but it is a red.

And of course they score a worldie against us. They can't hit a bran door usually.

Leno was stupid. Ryan will have to play 3 games now and I don't even know if he is fit.

Move on and stick this one in the back of the mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Gotta make sure that this doesn't dent the teams morale. They played brilliantly tonight all things considered. Playing one and then two players down and to keep going and remain solid is to be applauded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x PyRo wrote: »
    A game we should be going into half-time 2-0 or 3-0 up and here we are losing 2-1 with 9 players on the pitch. Arsenal never cease to amaze.

What game were you watching? It should have been 4 or 5 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Gcpg1zl.jpg

From the FA website...

L'prof wrote: »
    What game were you watching? It should have been 4 or 5 :pac:

How was saka goal disallowed.because laca big toe was offside?

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Gcpg1zl.jpg

From the FA website...

Do you have a link to that?

Gcpg1zl.jpg

From the FA website...

This is being quoted everywhere

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

It’s because he didn’t attempt to play the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm not going to lose it over that one.

It was a freak game.

Arsenal were absolutely cruising, playing great stuff - and then a single moment changed everything, then a one in a million wonderstrike, then a totally inexplicable goalie mistake.

It was just one of those nights - it happens. You have to laugh sometimes.

I'm just cross because I've been really enjoying Spurs being Spursy lately, and then we really take the smile off my face with some pretty unbelievable Arsenalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Just a cluster-f*** game really. Totally dominant, disallowed goal, struck woodwork and their keeper keeping us out. Score a great individual goal, but then we took our foot off the gas. With one eye on half time, fell asleep to allow Wolves a 1 on 1 with Leno....

The rest is history!

Agree that Luiz was by the letter of the law, a pen and a red. I don't think there is any intent, just a bit of neglect by running so close to the player. The defenders know the rules, hence why he didn't protest too much.

Even at that stage against 10, we played well enough at 2-1 down.

Can't see this effecting our morale too much, it was just one of those nights. The only real negative to take away now is Leno missing for 1/3 games. When is Mat Ryan back from injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Safe to say Arteta is appealing it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Safe to say Arteta is appealing it then

Rightly so imo. Didn’t think it was a penalty myself and definitely not a red card. That was taking the piss. That defeat probably hurt more than any that we have had this season and that’s because we were so good for the majority of that first half. Should have been more than one up before that whole incident at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

Jeez Southampton. Losing 9-0 once was bad enough but twice under the same manager...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

omega man wrote: »
    Jeez Southampton. Losing 9-0 once was bad enough but twice under the same manager...

Glad we drew 0-0 with them now!

The more I think about this evening's game.... The more I feel if I talk about it.... The closer a boards banning comes closer! GRRRR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

omega man wrote: »

That equalled the record they had already set for biggest premier league hiding ever received. Ruthless by United, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I really hope we build on the first half (last minute aside) and just forget about the rest of this game

I really hope we build on the first half (last minute aside) and just forget about the rest of this game

It was just so typical of older Arsenal teams. Dominating but failing to take their chances. I actually said to the lads by txt just before the capitulation that being only 1-0 up with how the game had gone made me very nervous. Once the pen was given I knew our goose was cooked. My stomach turned when they went ahead. I couldn’t watch any more

To those that were dreaming of top 4 do yourselves and the rest of us a favour and park those hopes until next season. The clearout was good but there are still players there that will let us down and cost us points. They’ll have to be used too because rotation will be needed. I’m particularly worried about the thoughts of the part timer starting in goals away to Villa

It was just so typical of older Arsenal teams. Dominating but failing to take their chances. I actually said to the lads by txt just before the capitulation that being only 1-0 up with how the game had gone made me very nervous. Once the pen was given I knew our goose was cooked. My stomach turned when they went ahead. I couldn’t watch any more

To those that were dreaming of top 4 do yourselves and the rest of us a favour and park those hopes until next season. The clearout was good but there are still players there that will let us down and cost us points. They’ll have to be used too because rotation will be needed. I’m particularly worried about the thoughts of the part timer starting in goals away to Villa

Ryan has potential return of the 6th, so here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I think this is another rule that might change - similar to what happened after the Dier handball and that farce goal in the Villa game. It feels that whoever wrote those rules doesn't understand football at all.

Never mind the red card, I think even the penalty was harsh because practically Luiz doesn't initiate the contact, it is the strikers back foot that clips on Luiz.
    Just one of these freak incidents I guess, just unlucky that it happened to us.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Never mind the red card, I think even the penalty was harsh because practically Luiz doesn't initiate the contact, it is the strikers back foot that clips on Luiz.
    Just one of these freak incidents I guess, just unlucky that it happened to us.

Ah stop. Definite pen. He’s clear and one on one with the keeper about to shoot. Luiz catches up and accidentally clips him

Ah stop. Definite pen. He’s clear and one on one with the keeper about to shoot. Luiz catches up and accidentally clips him

The problem with these things is consistency. I'm trying to think of the exact example a while back where an Arsenal player's leg was clipped in the box, making him trip over himself. The argument was that it was minimal contact and he essentially tripped over himself, so it wasn't a penalty.

Very similar incident here is a penalty + red + probably a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    One of those games.

Could have been 3-0 up early on. Created some great stuff.

Luiz was unlucky with the clip but it is a red.

And of course they score a worldie against us. They can't hit a bran door usually.

Leno was stupid. Ryan will have to play 3 games now and I don't even know if he is fit.

Move on and stick this one in the back of the mind

Leno will only have 1 game suspension.

Basil3 wrote: »
    The problem with these things is consistency. I'm trying to think of the exact example a while back where an Arsenal player's leg was clipped in the box, making him trip over himself. The argument was that it was minimal contact and he essentially tripped over himself, so it wasn't a penalty.

Very similar incident here is a penalty + red + probably a ban.

There’s never been consistency in the premier league, why would it start now? I know what you’re saying but with what transpired and how the rules are written Luiz can have no complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    luiz took out the last man by making contact and didnt make a play for the ball which is a red and a penalty going by the rules amended in 2016
    best to move on from it, such a shame because luiz was great against united but it seems to be like flipping a coin as to which version of luiz we get.

I think the point being missed is that Luiz didn't make a play for anything. The rule regarding the red card is there to stop lads dragging out of a player who is clear through on goal. That's what the rule is for. Luiz made no attempt to play the ball, or the man. He was simply running behind him to try get in position should the keeper pull off a save. This was 100% accidental contact, and in my opinion shouldn't have even been a penalty never mind a red card.

I think the point being missed is that Luiz didn't make a play for anything. The rule regarding the red card is there to stop lads dragging out of a player who is clear through on goal. That's what the rule is for. Luiz made no attempt to play the ball, or the man. He was simply running behind him to try get in position should the keeper pull off a save. This was 100% accidental contact, and in my opinion shouldn't have even been a penalty never mind a red card.

The problem is that you can't guess the intent of the man, all you can say is that there was contact which prevented a goal scoring opportunity. Moral of the story: if you can't win the ball, then don't risk touching the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Lads it will always be a penalty when contact made with a guy running behind u. It's a clip. If it happened me in 5 a side it's a penalty. Let's just be realistic. Penalty all day. They only question is weather it deserved a red card and in my opinion no it didn't. Was very accidental contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As much as I agree with that, taking off my Arsenal tinted glasses and looking at it from the referees POV it looks like he clipped him through action or inaction (i.e. accidental contact through proximity) so either way prevented a goal scoring opportunity. The ref didn't have the benefit of knowing what Luiz's intentions were (positional or otherwise), and Luiz himself didn't put up much of a fight with respect to the decision either which probably reinforced the referees opinion that he had made the correct call.

Look, its incredibly frustrating, moreso as it turned the game completely on its head but its done now, so we may as well take the positives from the game and move on.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Intent doesn't come in to it, it's as simple as that. It was made very clear last night by Peter Walton on BT Sport & that would have been the ruling of the referee & VAR last night also. You can't read a player's mind was the way Peter explained why such rule is enforced.

It's unfortunate, but rules are rules whether you agree with them or not. It was the correct decision.

The sooner one can accept that, the sooner one can move on & forget about it. If one can't, then one never will & will only end up driving one's self mad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement