Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's a good rule. Lesson to young centre backs: man and (as close as you can get to) ball, hard and fast as you can. That way you might only get a yellow.

We're all overlooking the fact that this is a young Portuguese professional who's spent as long practicing winning pens as he has playing football. If that happened up the five-a-side you'd be laughed out of the cage tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

It's a strange rule where if you go in attempting to get the ball but absolutely take someone out its a yellow max and this results in a red.

IMO I think he actually dived once felt the contact as the way he falls, is not how you would fall when clipped from behind (looked up a few fouls like that and the movement is much different). Same way as sufficient contact is a factor in fouls and the "accidental" nature of handballs also analysed, why is this not the case here?

If it was a penalty and a yellow I'd be fine with it, but giving out a red for it is IMO ridiculous regardless of the rules. Those who are saying rules are the rules are missing the fact that referee's do not implement them consistently so that argument doesn't really stand to me.

Still I think the team will be fine as they're finally beginning to gel and given that top 4 is a pipe dream, its all about progress and a good go at the Europa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's a good rule. Lesson to young centre backs: man and (as close as you can get to) ball, hard and fast as you can. That way you might only get a yellow.

We're all overlooking the fact that this is a young Portuguese professional who's spent as long practicing winning pens as he has playing football. If that happened up the five-a-side you'd be laughed out of the cage tbh.

he's 29 and brazilian, but don't let facts get in the way :)

Think the red card was very harsh, it's another example of rules drawn up in rooms with no influence from people who have played the game, same as..

automatic goal ruled out if the ball hits the hand of anybody, even accidentally, in the current phase of play. RULE was intended to stop players scoring with their hands accidentally but is designed in such a way that it penalises accidental contact half a pitch away.

offside from the upper arm, because technically if it hits someone above the elbow by accident the goal should be given. Probably happens 1 in 1000 games, meanwhile stupid off sides are ruling out a goal every two games.

var only being allowed look at certain instances in a game, while blatant mistakes/fouls/decisions go unresolved in the forlorn hope of maintaining the referees dignity.

ultimately the new rule book is a zebra, a horse designed by a committee.

leads to more confusion and problems than there ever were before because every single game is affected in one way or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Iago wrote: »
    he's 29 and brazilian, but don't let facts get in the way :)

About the same as Neymar so...

Agree with all the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Runarsson left out of the Europa League squad.

Martinelli, Odegaard and Ryan added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Leno is out for 3 games

Only 1 match i think, as it's not violent conduct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Leno is out for 3 games

3 match is only for violent conduct. Leno was a professional foul so is 1 game

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think the point being missed is that Luiz didn't make a play for anything. The rule regarding the red card is there to stop lads dragging out of a player who is clear through on goal. That's what the rule is for. Luiz made no attempt to play the ball, or the man. He was simply running behind him to try get in position should the keeper pull off a save. This was 100% accidental contact, and in my opinion shouldn't have even been a penalty never mind a red card.

I don't believe that for a second. Luiz is an experienced defender, and surely he knows that getting that close behind a player dramatically increases the odds that some part of his leg will clip theirs. Sure my 6 year old son has the brain capacity to understand that, so I'm pretty sure Luiz knew what he was doing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

For people that say it was a definite penalty last night against Luiz, well why didn’t Saka get a penalty in an incident earlier? There was contact on Saka and the defender didn’t get any of the ball?

• Advertisement

For people that say it was a definite penalty last night against Luiz, well why didn’t Saka get a penalty in an incident earlier? There was contact on Saka and the defender didn’t get any of the ball?

I don't remember the exact incident, but was the defender in a position where he could have played the ball?

Edit: I think I know the one you're talking about, and the defender got alongside Saka, and Saka did get his shot away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Basil3 wrote: »
    I don't remember the exact incident, but was the defender in a position where he could have played the ball?

Yeah the defender was in a position where he could have played the ball, but he didn’t get any of it and made contact (more contact than Luiz deft touch) with Saka. Was then just given as a goal kick. Didn’t think it was a penalty myself, but I also don’t think it was a penalty on Luiz. Genuinely curious, as all I’m hearing now is contact in the penalty area, regardless of anything is a foul.

darego wrote: »
    I don't believe that for a second. Luiz is an experienced defender, and surely he knows that getting that close behind a player dramatically increases the odds that some part of his leg will clip theirs. Sure my 6 year old son has the brain capacity to understand that, so I'm pretty sure Luiz knew what he was doing

Of course he knows that. As you say everyone knows that. That doesn't mean he has to keep his distance from a player. You're having a laugh if you expect Luiz (or any player) to run away from a player just because he is in the box. That's ridiculous.

What happened was a bizarrity, something that only happens once in a hundred games. it's absurd to expect a player to socially distance from the opposition for fear of something like that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Of course he knows that. As you say everyone knows that. That doesn't mean he has to keep his distance from a player. You're having a laugh if you expect Luiz (or any player) to run away from a player just because he is in the box. That's ridiculous.

What happened was a bizarrity, something that only happens once in a hundred games. it's absurd to expect a player to socially distance from the opposition for fear of something like that happening

For a normal player yes, but I think the percentage is a lot *higher for Luiz for some bizarre reason :rolleyes:

Watched the highlights of the Villa game and Martinez let in two shots that he should have saved.

Of course given Leno's brain fart it's not good timing, but I do think that Martinez gets the rose tinted glasses as I don't think he was as amazing and better than Leno as he's made out to be here sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

3 match is only for violent conduct. Leno was a professional foul so is 1 game

Source

Both available for the Leeds game on the 14th....although I'm inclined to appeal Luiz to see if we can get it extended :D

• Advertisement

Mustafi seemed like a nice guy who got a chance and took it. The problem wasn't with him, it was that we kept giving him chances after it was clear he wasn't up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

My daddy always said, if you don’t have anything nice to say about a person, say nothing...

emmetlego wrote: »
    My daddy always said, if you don’t have anything nice to say about a person, say nothing...

Imagine how quiet Boards would be if we all took that advice :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I love that his good bye letter to Arsenal fans is designed to look like an unnecessary sliding tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mustafi seemed like a nice guy who got a chance and took it. The problem wasn't with him, it was that we kept giving him chances after it was clear he wasn't up to it.

I think a lot of the players that were signed in recent years would have been fine in more established teams. I’ve started listening to Ian Wright’s podcast and he made a very good point a few weeks ago, probably before the clearout. The majority of the team would be very good backup to a first 11, just not the calibre of players you want to see starting every game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L'prof wrote: »
    I think a lot of the players that were signed in recent years would have been fine in more established teams. I’ve started listening to Ian Wright’s podcast and he made a very good point a few weeks ago, probably before the clearout. The majority of the team would be very good backup to a first 11, just not the calibre of players you want to see starting every game

Yes, this is it. We saw with Mustafi that when the quality of the players around him went up (and we stopped playing idiotic tactics), then the number of clangers he made dropped.

Same with Liverpool, but the reverse. Van Dijk came in and made average players look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I do just give up on football, they make it so ****ing hard to enjoy it with **** like this.

Luiz red card not overturned

Bednarek red card successfully overturned.

Complete horse ****

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I do just give up on football, they make it so ****ing hard to enjoy it with **** like this.

Luiz red card not overturned

Bednarek red card successfully overturned.

Complete horse ****

It looks to me in the Bednarek one that Martial bought the foul and just dragged a leg to get contact. That didn't happen in the Luiz incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah Luis ran beside him and got a red card, must have red card radiation

I'm actually very disillusioned with football lately. The standard of refereeing is enough to turn me away from the game altogether.

I really cannot see how the FA could stand over that call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

For anyone who listens to Arsecast, is it just me or are some of the questions people send in to the show just absolutely half witted and hairbrained?

One question on the last show was "should we play one of the youth keepers instead of Runarrson against Villa".

I know Runarrson isn't up to much but ffs what a stupid idea. Yeah, let's hang a young fella out to dry. Oh and let's write off Runarrson as an investment while we're at it, and destroy his confidence even further.

I think some people send in questions just for the "thrill" of having them read out. Some of the questions are just really annoyingly stupid.

I'm actually very disillusioned with football lately. The standard of refereeing is enough to turn me away from the game altogether.

I really cannot see how the FA could stand over that call.

I've looked at several times and to be honest Luiz is looking down and his knee contacts. I think Luiz knew what he was doing but hoped it was a clever foul that wouldn't be seen. Ref watch with Dermo Gallagher says def penalty, I think the guy is fairly straight.

I've looked at several times and to be honest Luiz is looking down and his knee contacts. I think Luiz knew what he was doing but hoped it was a clever foul that wouldn't be seen. Ref watch with Dermo Gallagher says def penalty, I think the guy is fairly straight.

Clever foul that wouldn't be seen? Does he realise they have cameras at the match? :confused:

Basil3 wrote: »
    Clever foul that wouldn't be seen? Does he realise they have cameras at the match? :confused:

Yes. I'm pretty sure he does. But he has history of this sort of silly decision. We shouldn't be surprised.

@BeerEnigma, I looked at it a few times just now, and you can clearly see him looking down. Well spotted. Anyway, draw a line under and move on, hopefully the sense of injustice will drive the players on against Villa.

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    Yes. I'm pretty sure he does. But he has history of this sort of silly decision. We shouldn't be surprised.

@BeerEnigma, I looked at it a few times just now, and you can clearly see him looking down. Well spotted. Anyway, draw a line under and move on, hopefully the sense of injustice will drive the players on against Villa.

It was the look that did for him, just a bad day at the office, overall I thought we looked sharp

Get through Villa and back on track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Tierney still out for tomorrow, likely to be Mat Ryan between the sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The club have said he trained today and yesterday so I would be shocked if he didn't, hopefully he has a good debut

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

I probably would have chose Ryan for nets even if Tierney was fit.

al87987 wrote: »

Huh?

Sounds like Kieron will be out for about 3 weeks.

Have loved seeing Pepe playing on the left, I think when Kieron is back the left side combo could be electric

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

uhh?

Huh?
    uhh?
    The original post by beers could have been read that Tierney was out, so now Matt Ryan starts in goal. Then al cleverly posted that even if Tierney was fit then Ryan would probably still be starting ahead of him in goals, as he's a better goalkeeper than Tierney.

Personally I thought it was very very funny. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Just the 2 enforced changes. Ryan and Gabriel in for Luiz and Leno.

Who would have ever thought that Pepe could keep Auba out if the team? On his current form it would be very harsh to sub him

greendom wrote: »
    Just the 2 enforced changes. Ryan and Gabriel in for Luiz and Leno.

Who would have ever thought that Pepe could keep Auba out if the team? On his current form it would be very harsh to sub him

Hopefully that's the end of Auba on the wing as I feel he hasn't got the stamina and dribbling required for that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

That was gick from Cedric, amateur hour.

Shocking stuff all round.

Ryan had that covered as well, if not for the deflection.

Gabriel turns slower than Mertesacker ever did.

Another individual error leading to a goal, that's 2 in two games. Did get unlucky with the deflection but should still win this!

• Advertisement

Leno saves that deflection!

Known on commentary is really starting to bug me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Even ignoring the goal, Cedric's awful passing and ability (or lack of) to keep hold of the ball is so frustrating.

Laca had Saka and Pepe wide open to be put through on goal and he gets tackled. We are so **** at just getting the ball forward quickly.

Is Gabriel carrying weight or something. He doesn't look agile at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement