Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

I shiver anytime I see Willian coming on. Is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

darego wrote: »
    I shiver anytime I see Willian coming on. Is it just me?

Definitely not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

I can see why Grealish is the most fouled player in the PL. He's waiting for contact every time he gets the ball. Goes down as soon as he feels it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Grealish literally can’t be touched, if a foreign player did what he does he’d be slated. Exact same with Zaha

Willian with a near assist for Villa there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Willian offers absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Could be 13th after the weekend...in February.

Villa players cleverly dropping to the ground now to run down the clock.

That's a sh*te effort Odegaard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

We were lucky to go on that run or we would have been rightly goosed but looks like we are back to that poor form again now. Table doesn't lie this far into the season. How we've fallen over the last few years.

• Advertisement

It’s not good very little excuses can be made. Nowhere near enough sign of progress, only defence is Covid and it being an unusual season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We have almost all the pressure but then Villa carve us open time and time again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soups123 wrote: »
    It’s not good very little excuses can be made. Nowhere near enough sign of progress, only defence is Covid and it being an unusual season

Great progress made in Jan. Shows how quickly momentum can be lost

****in Willian.

23 games played. Arteta's mark at the end of the season getting more and more unlikely to be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ryan our MOTM

greendom wrote: »
    Great progress made in Jan. Shows how quickly momentum can be lost

Progress has to be measured over the season, not a month in the season. I do think Covid has it odd but even still it’s been so poor for the most part.

These two game should have been 6 points but unfortunately it’s zero

I think 12th is the worst we can be, Leeds and Palace play each other on Monday.
    So it's not that bad. :pac:

Lost more games than we have won, very worrying.

That's a sh*te effort Odegaard.

He has a bang of Dennis Sharez about him.

• Advertisement

I think 12th is the worst we can be, Leeds and Palace play each other on Monday.
    So it's not that bad. :pac:

My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭omega man

We’re a top 7-10 team at best now realistically.
    I’ve come to terms with that so I don’t get angry anymore like I used to.

Progress has to be measured over the season, not a month in the season. I do think Covid has it odd but even still it’s been so poor for the most part.

These two game should have been 6 points but unfortunately it’s zero

Yes 6 points given away rather than earned by the opposition. I'm still a lot more optimistic than I was in December

omega man wrote: »
    We’re a top 7-10 team at best now realistically.
    I’ve come to terms with that so I don’t get angry anymore like I used to.

I think we’re more an 8 to 12 team. When we play any team around this bracket I’m not confident home or away.

Lol, the disgust in the commentators voice when Xhaka "cynically" fouled Grealish. Villa have been up to the dark arts the entire game, not a word about it.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes 6 points given away rather than earned by the opposition. I'm still a lot more optimistic than I was in December

Agreed we had enough about us to beat both, we’ve really lacked and edge or a Will to win

Final decision making in the 18 has been so bad today by every player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Moving Pepe to the right and Willian on has killed us. Pepe had been having some joy on the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lol, the disgust in the commentators voice when Xhaka "cynically" fouled Grealish. Villa have been up to the dark arts the entire game, not a word about it.

Well, it was cynical. I mean the ball was well gone. He karate kicked him. :p

Xhaka had to make sure to get that yellow.

The fact that Xhaka is still a nailed-on starter for us really shows what progress has been made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Absolute rubbish.

Moving Pepe to the right and Willian on has killed us. Pepe had been having some joy on the left

That and Saka to left back both poor calls.

I so want Arteta to be the man but month on month I’m just losing that hope. We are a mixed bag

Martinez made the right move up, fair play.

Xhaka had to make sure to get that yellow.

The fact that Xhaka is still a nailed-on starter for us really shows what progress has been made.

He's been our best player through that good run and was even MOTM against Wolves. Dropped today

Kirby wrote: »
    Well, it was cynical. I mean the ball was well gone. He karate kicked him. :p

Oh yeah 100%, it was a good foul to make.

Just the tone of indignation in the commentator's voice was hilarious, given Villa spent the entire game systematically fouling Saka, all the while Grealish was hitting the deck any chance he got, but there was never a word about any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I so want Arteta to be the man but month on month I’m just losing that hope. We are a mixed bag

Bro what else can we do.

Party went off injured bro

• Advertisement

Are we back to this shìte already?

Fickle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Xhaka and Luiz the most hated men in football. Anytime they do anything is cynical and could warrant a red card.

Bro what else can we do.

Party went off injured bro

Yeah maybe the options where tight not sure who was on the bench. Maybe the Pepe and Willian switch hurt us more

In hindsight, they were poor calls.

He made plenty of attacking substitutions, we had virtually all of our creative players on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Keown is absolutely the worst commentator out there, found myself disagreeing with him the entirety of that game.

Our 2 full backs are not good enough to play the system that Mikel wants. We badly need Tierney back, haven’t won since he got injured.

Horrendous day for us. So disappointed. Officials boil my blood too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Quazzie wrote: »

Fickle

Hardly fickle. We're worse than we were under emery. I see a few promising players coming through but at the end of the day we're still shyte.

Fickle

You always deal with your frustration the same way Quazzie... too predictable

There’s nothing at all fickle about what I said. Fickle would say sack him. All’s I’ve said is I want him to be the man but it’s looking unlikely if you don’t agree that’s ok

It's not fickle to look at the table after 23 games and see us on 31 points with 2 games more played that most of the teams around us.

I actually think we are worse than under Emery. Last time I felt that we are as poor as now was under Stewart Houston. He was also a gamble at that time.

At this point I'm prepared to once again write off the league season, but that will mean we'll have given Arteta a pass on basically 18 months of sh*te in the PL.

That's fine with me btw, this was always a medium to long term project. He needed time to shape the squad and get rid of deadwood, we made big progress on this in January. Not to mention covid, I think we can compartmentalise this season in some way. The board now need to back him in the summer with a few quid.

However, I really need to see some progress next season. By progress, I mean a genuine push for CL qualification and not an improvement on where we finish this season. We're going to finish about 13th this season, if we finish 8th next season, that's not progress to me.

If he had gotten sacked in December, I really don't think he could have had many complaints. We stuck our neck on the line by hiring him, showed faith in him by sticking by him. Next season is time to produce for Arteta.

If next Christmas we're still languishing around 10th, something needs to be done. That's not good enough for Arsenal and it shouldn't be allowed to become acceptable.

Fickle

At what point is it not being fickle? Because aside from a good run of 5 wins in 7 (while going out of the cup with a whimper, since winning the cup was apparently such a big deal last season) we've been ****e for pretty much the whole season.

Basil3 wrote: »
    However, I really need to see some progress next season. By progress, I mean a genuine push for CL qualification and not an improvement on where we finish this season. We're going to finish about 13th this season, if we finish 8th next season, that's not progress to me.

Not even to particularly criticise you but the fact that a "genuine push" for CL after 2 and a half seasons is all that's expected really shows where the club is at right now.

At what point is it not being fickle? Because aside from a good run of 5 wins in 7 (while going out of the cup with a whimper, since winning the cup was apparently such a big deal last season) we've been ****e for pretty much the whole season.

It's not fickle when it's a serious discussion that happens at another time instead of as a kneejerk reaction to every single loss. The same people jump on every negative and blame Arteta for it.

Luiz got sent off for near nothing during the week. Arteta out. Today we were denied a clear penalty and a possible red card. Arteta out.

I'm all for a sensible debate but when it's from the usual kneejerkers then yes it's fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Target with a handball. Not even considered for a penalty

You know ifs not considered a handball when it’s blasted at you from 3 yards away and you’ve one arm by your side and the other across your chest?!!

fullstop wrote: »
    You know ifs not considered a handball when it’s blasted at you from 3 yards away and you’ve one arm by your side and the other across your chest?!!

His arm was in an unnatural postlition outside of his silhouette. I'm not saying it was a penalty but it's odd that VAR never even considered looking at it

It's not fickle when it's a serious discussion that happens at another time instead of as a kneejerk reaction to every single loss. The same people jump on every negative and blame Arteta for it.

Luiz got sent off for near nothing during the week. Arteta out. Today we were denied a clear penalty and a possible red card. Arteta out.

I'm all for a sensible debate but when it's from the usual kneejerkers then yes it's fickle.

We’ve lost 10 league games. It’s past “knee jerk reaction after every single loss” in fairness.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement