Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

djan wrote: »
    How have his injuries been? If he has been playing regularly I'd be happy to have him at a low cost. Would be excellent with Partey.

Not sure on injury, I think he's lacked chances so hard to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So pure rumour but Arteta keen to bring Ramsay back in the summer.... Haven't heard anything

What's the feeling?

He’s on too much money there. Sounds like a non runner to me

Azatadine wrote: »
    We will do exceptionally well to finish top half now.

If we don't finish top half Arteta has to go, no question about it.

And Christ I hope it'll be sooner rather than later that the positivity in here isn't just laughing when Spurs lose. Finding it hard to find anything humorous about the club's situation right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

If we don't finish top half Arteta has to go, no question about it.

I agree.

If we don't finish top half Arteta has to go, no question about it

What then? Get in another stop gap? Rinse, repeat. I think Arteta has a tougher job than a lot give him credit for. He has to completely change the team he took over barring one or two players maybe. He’s made great progress in shipping out players that have been stinking the place out for years. I’d like to see who he can convince the board to bring in this summer. I’ve seen enough good, no matter how brief, to say I’d be happy to see him at the helm until at least next summer

L'prof wrote: »
    What then? Get in another stop gap? Rinse, repeat. I think Arteta has a tougher job than a lot give him credit for. He has to completely change the team he took over barring one or two players maybe. He’s made great progress in shipping out players that have been stinking the place out for years. I’d like to see who he can convince the board to bring in this summer. I’ve seen enough good, no matter how brief, to say I’d be happy to see him at the helm until at least next summer

He has shipped out dross for sure and that's great but by God, we are a dreadful outfit on the pitch most days and nobody will convince me that Arteta is not somehow responsible for at least some of that. I dont think it's a tactic but maybe it's a fear thing or a rigidity thing as a secondary result of tactics. Ultimately, it's looking like we will end up in the lowest position in the table in decades and he does have at least some responsibility for that.

Look, bottom line is that I'd love Arteta to succeed but it was always a high risk strategy bringing in someone with zero managerial experience to manage a clearly floundering club. I still hope it'll pay off but he's not just new in the door and we are not making progress on the pitch where it matters. We've seriously gone backwards, even since Emery. Maybe Arteta is an outstanding coach but that doesn't always equate to being a great manager.

For me, blind never ending faith makes no sense. As time goes on and results continue to disappoint, some accountability is called for.

I do hope he can turn it around but I'm not sure he can. Maybe its just that I have to come to terms with Arsenal being a mid table team now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

He has shipped out dross for sure and that's great but by God, we are a dreadful outfit on the pitch most days and nobody will convince me that Arteta is not somehow responsible for at least some of that. I dont think it's a tactic but maybe it's a fear thing or a rigidity thing as a secondary result of tactics. Ultimately, it's looking like we will end up in the lowest position in the table in decades and he does have at least some responsibility for that.

Look, bottom line is that I'd love Arteta to succeed but it was always a high risk strategy bringing in someone with zero managerial experience to manage a clearly floundering club. I still hope it'll pay off but he's not just new in the door and we are not making progress on the pitch where it matters. We've seriously gone backwards, even since Emery. Maybe Arteta is an outstanding coach but that doesn't always equate to being a great manager.

For me, blind never ending faith makes no sense. As time goes on and results continue to disappoint, some accountability is called for.

I do hope he can turn it around but I'm not sure he can. Maybe its just that I have to come to terms with Arsenal being a mid table team now.

If u haven't seen an improvement in our play since December then I'm afraid your blind.

Last 10 games form we are 7th.

That's even with the losses against Wolves and Villa which I feel were defensive errors which the manager can't control or extremely bad referring which also not the managers fault.

So just back off with the Arteta should be gone talk until at the earliest this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Meh we’re in the middle of a massive rebuild so league position this season doesn’t worry me too much. It gets tiresome writing off season after season but maybe Arteta will be the man to end that trend.

There’s still a small chance of us winning the europa too.

• Advertisement

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Last 10 games form we are 7th.

That's even with the losses against Wolves and Villa which I feel were defensive errors which the manager can't control or extremely bad referring which also not the managers fault.

So just back off with the Arteta should be gone talk until at the earliest this time next year.

As mentioned, let's see where we end up at the end of the season. Bottom half and he should go. I dont understand this blind faith thing when the points over a significant period of time don't support it. So, I won't back off thank you. My opinion is my opinion based on results and points over time. I'm allowed to have it. You are too of course. So, I hope your faith is rewarded. I genuinely do as I'd love Arteta to succeed. I'm just not convinced yet. Nonetheless, I am allowed to voice my opinion.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Is it really fair to tell people what to discuss and not to discuss
    I wouldn’t tell you to stop banging on about Arteta being the next messiah for example, we all have our own opinions and that is what a discussion forum is all about

Fair enough... My opinion is things take time. New manager won't make a difference till squad and recruitment is fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Especially when you realize that 2 of those are suspensions (I tihnk)

Quazzie wrote: »
    Especially when you realize that 2 of those are suspensions (I tihnk)

Yep!

I'm not as unhappy about the direction we're going as I was. I felt that even when we were performing well and/or winning big matches with Arteta, we were still seriously struggling in the creative department, but we were managing to put away the few chances we created, while managing to have solid enough defence or enough luck to keep the opposition from scoring.

In the last month or two, I feel like we are creating plenty more attacking chances, while still being solid enough in defence. If we carry on in this trajectory then the results should come.

I now enjoy watching us a lot more than I did. I feel like there's a chance we can come back into games even when we go behind, whereas in the past it really looked like we didn't have a clue where the next goal would come from.

Partey and Tierney out for the Leeds game confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Partey and Tierney out for the Leeds game confirmed

Looks to be prioritizing Europa rap with Tierney rested.

I definitely think we’re going in the right direction and this is the most balanced I’ve seen is for unite some time going back a few years. Think we are def more stable at the back and have fairly good options in mid ( excusing Parteys absence) but a little blunt on top with a Aubu misfiring and Laca inconsistent.

But def to reiterate the most encouraging I’ve seen in a while.

With regard to squad. I think we’re nearly there certainly as regards first team if xhaka can tango with partey. Back four with the proviso Saliba can fit in should be good enough.

A decent senior partner for Aubu. Hopeing Odegaard
    Will stay as last piece of jig saw.

Just need to click and be a little more balanced in midfield to provide the stability at At he back which I think we’re near top of the table for and that fluidity to move from def to attacking midfield.

So at least another 12 months for Arteta for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Still no Tierney and Partey on Sunday. Hopefully we pull through needed a win badly

• Advertisement

Eurosport reporting that Odegaard likely to make a permanent move to the Gunners if Zidane is still in charge

5star02707 wrote: »
    Still no Tierney and Partey on Sunday. Hopefully we pull through needed a win badly

Can't see Tierney back before mid March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Eurosport reporting that Odegaard likely to make a permanent move to the Gunners if Zidane is still in charge

I can't see Zidane being in charge next year. From what I've been reading I think the Madrid fans would like to see a change of manager next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

j14 wrote: »
    I can't see Zidane being in charge next year. From what I've been reading I think the Madrid fans would like to see a change of manager next season.

not many managers last as long as him at Madrid - must be on borrowed time by now. Who knows though - another Champions League win may save him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

greendom wrote: »
    not many managers last as long as him at Madrid - must be on borrowed time by now. Who knows though - another Champions League win may save him

Hopefully, because then we could sign Ødegaard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

FLOOPER wrote: »

With regard to squad. I think we’re nearly there certainly as regards first team if xhaka can tango with partey. Back four with the proviso Saliba can fit in should be good enough.

I agree we are going in the right direction but I certainly don’t think we are nearly there in terms of first team. Not sure even if Saliba fits in that he is good enough, he seems to be like a retired player who gets better the longer he is retired. Saliba seems to get better the longer he doesn’t play for us. There is no shred of evidence to suggest he is ready to step up to that level. To my mind I don’t think the table lies and what we have at the moment is still way off. I think we still need a quality CM to provide competition as ElNeny is not a league winning CM and Ceballos likely to go . We need someone who if he plays can keep Xhaka out of the team and make him really fight for a place. And I don’t mean that in derogatory terms for Xhaka but he needs serious competition, he is almost guaranteed to play. I still think we need a quality right full to really put pressure on Bellerin. And I also think that we need another quality striker as I’m regretfully not sure that Eddie is going to cut the mustard.

• Advertisement

Next 7 league matches include City, Leicester, Spurs & Liverpool.
    Final 8 matches has Everton and Chelsea.

Lined up perfectly to go nowhere the next while then finish with maybe 16 points from 24 to finish off the season and inspire hope again.

j14 wrote: »
    Hopefully, because then we could sign Ødegaard.

Depends if he performs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

As mentioned, let's see where we end up at the end of the season. Bottom half and he should go. I dont understand this blind faith thing when the points over a significant period of time don't support it. So, I won't back off thank you. My opinion is my opinion based on results and points over time. I'm allowed to have it. You are too of course. So, I hope your faith is rewarded. I genuinely do as I'd love Arteta to succeed. I'm just not convinced yet. Nonetheless, I am allowed to voice my opinion.

Here we go....

Away goals still in place, does not make any sense especially when both are playing away from home

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1360167161587769350?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I like the use of just the cannon, very retro, though IIRC its the actual crest thats copyrighted (that being the driver to change it in the first place) so unless the cannon is also protected (which it may be in fairness) I cant see that happening.
    Shame if that is the case as I think the cannon by itself looks great.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

5star02707 wrote: »
    Away goals still in place, does not make any sense especially when both are playing away from home

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1360167161587769350?s=19

tenor.gif

How is it safer to fly both teams to Italy, then Greece than it is to fly 1 team to Portugal then England?

Quazzie wrote: »
    How is it safer to fly both teams to Italy, then Greece than it is to fly 1 team to Portugal then England?

Portugal is rife with the Brazilian varient of Covid & they are trying desperately to stop it leaving the country into Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Watching the youth team V ManU on a recipe at the moment, ManU winning 1-0, but stand out player is Balogun.

EDIT: Make that 2-0.Keeper blunder.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Watching the youth team V ManU on a recipe at the moment, ManU winning 1-0, but stand out player is Balogun.

EDIT: Make that 2-0.Keeper blunder.

Hearing he's staying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Hearing he's staying

He must be. After I posted that, he touched the ball once and was off to the sideline smoking a joint! 😂

emmetlego wrote: »
    He must be. After I posted that, he touched the ball once and was off to the sideline smoking a joint! 😂

Must be the impact you have lol. Has a fiance in London that won't move, maybe its valentines magic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Away goals rules still in place at a two legged tie in neutral venues? That's some of the stupidest shít I've ever heard. The away goals rules barely makes sense in 2021 when you are actually playing home and away (I would argue makes no sense), and they want it implemented at neutral grounds?

If the tie finishes level and one team goes through because they happened to score more in one game than the other there will be uproar, and rightly so. It's moronic. These are exceptional times and changes to the competition need to be made but once this went to a neutral venue it should have been one leg straight knockout. They'd never allow that though because of TV revenues... Europa League second round, must be huge money in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Hearing he's staying

Hopefully and that means we are promoting him and shopping eddie out for a few quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

The Sun (I know) also reports we can make the Ceballos deal permanent for "just" £22m.

Even at that price, I don't think I'd bother. Get Willock back, and maybe give Guendouzi a second chance. Two years of Dani at Arsenal will be enough for both parties I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The Sun (I know) also reports we can make the Ceballos deal permanent for "just" £22m.

Even at that price, I don't think I'd bother. Get Willock back, and maybe give Guendouzi a second chance. Two years of Dani at Arsenal will be enough for both parties I think.

Yeah he had a good couple of months when the original lockdown finished but has not shown that form this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I know they are young but I don't see anything in Willock and Nketiah
    We should get rid aswell as Chambers
    I like Nelson but he is never given a chance
    Would love to see a mf 3 of Partey Guendozi and Cebellos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I might be on my own here but id keep Chambers, think he's more than good enough as backup.
    Agree with the others alright. Would like to see more of Balogun and see if the hype is justified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Sky Worlds to show Arsenal vs Leeds live in virtual reality
    Sky Worlds is a virtual reality sports viewing experience like no other, with Arsenal facing Leeds on Sunday

What does that mean? How will that be different to the normal viewing?

Ahh looked it up it's so you can watch it with one of those Occulus headsets.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/news/12214890/sky-worlds-to-show-arsenal-vs-leeds-live-in-virtual-reality#:~:text=Available now on Oculus Quest,"This app is crazy!

I have a quest and I still couldn't be arsed watching the match on it. I'm assuming that the viewing position will be from a stationary position in the the stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It was a bad landing on a flight at USA 94 that done it to him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement