Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

4-2 FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Memories of Newcastle springing back to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Never mind Pepe or Martinelli, there isn't one single thing we've seen from Willian to suggest Elneny isn't a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Memories of Newcastle springing back to mind

I actually think that game was the start of a mentality issue that we never got over. Weren't we 4-0 up at half time and they came back to 4-4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Arteta must see something In Willian that we're missing, maybe he's a great off the pitch leader or trains very well, it certainly cannot be for footballing contribution.

Yepp, the insider agreements to play him every match provided he's fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

William not on anybody's wavelength. Like he's still playing for Chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I can’t see what Willian brings to the game, a few lads I know have greyhounds and if one of them performed like that they would be going for a long sleep

Arteta's blindness to Willian is a massive weakness on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Azatadine wrote: »
    I actually think that game was the start of a mentality issue that we never got over. Weren't we 4-0 up at half time and they came back to 4-4?

It was way before that. Basically when eduardo broke his leg and the corresponding games after, arsenal fell apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Arteta needs to work on his substitutions. Not bringing Willian on as first sub would go a long way to help.
    Good to get a win ahead of the rough fixtures ahead

• Advertisement

Alright. We'll take it. Nice to score a few, nice for Auba to get a few, Saka excellent.

But seriously, 4-1 before Willian, 0-1 after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ol' Donie wrote: »

But seriously, 4-1 before Willian, 0-1 after.

I heard that he caused COVID as well :rolleyes:

Seriouly some people need to get over their obsession with Wilian.

He has played 130 mins in the last 10 league games and hasnt started a single one, the way some are talking here you would think he was stinking the place out every game - I have no doubt that he would but he hasnt been playing.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I heard that he caused COVID as well :rolleyes:

Seriouly some people need to get over their obsession with Wilian.

He has played 130 mins in the last 10 league games and hasnt started a single one, the way some are talking here you would think he was stinking the place out every game - I have no doubt that he would but he hasnt been playing.

He's fùckin crap and he can pìss off. If you can justify his selection in any way, I'd be glad to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

He's fùckin crap and he can pìss off. If you can justify his selection in any way, I'd be glad to hear it.

This means Arteta is crap manager and should be replaced.

Ask Arteta to justify it. Could be that the rest of the squad is even more worthless so Arteta has no choice.

wonski wrote: »
    This means Arteta is crap manager and should be replaced.

Ask Arteta to justify it. Could be that the rest of the squad is even more worthless so Arteta has no choice.

Christ.

It doesn't, it means he has a blind spot or some other motivation for playing him.

Or, if you want to do nonsense extremes, does that mean Arteta gets everything right 9th in the league is deadly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Can you ring him and ask him for me
    I’ve lost his number

I wish I had, so we could end the whole "why Willian" debates ;)

Anyway I am moving on from this.

Good day today. We need more games like the one against Leeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

How do we win 4-2 and I come on here to read tonnes of Willian bashing.........

My god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pogue eile wrote: »
    He has played 130 mins in the last 10 league games and hasnt started a single one

I'd love to know our record in simpl goals F/A when he was on the field for those 130 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Luiz seems to be getting a contract extension....

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    How do we win 4-2 and I come on here to read tonnes of Willian bashing.........

My god

Because we were scoring for fun, and then he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd love to know our record in simpl goals F/A when he was on the field for those 130 minutes.

I’ll bite. His last 10 appearances in all comps:

81mins v Burnley, 0-1
    90mins v Everton, 1-2
    20mins v West Brom, 0-0
    65mins v Newcastle, 0-0
    12mins v Newcastle, 0-0
    90mins v Southampton, 0-1
    19mins v Southampton, 1-0
    45mins v Man Utd, 0-0
    17mins v Aston Villa, 0-0
    29mins v Leeds, 0-1

468mins, 2-5

• Advertisement

He hasnt been selected, thats the point! He hasnt started a league game since mid December.

How anyone can watch that game today and their main take away from the game is 'Willian is crap' says more about them to be honest. Build a bridge. You were bitc*ing about him before he even came on, we were winning 3-0 and you were banging on about Willian, its boring at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think it's more the opportunity cost that annoys people - it should be Martinelli or Lacazette coming on, hell even Pepe who we paid 70m for, instead it's Willian. Same reason we have lost players like Gnabry in the past, playing people are are clearly not up to par while talent sits on the bench.

I don't mind Willian, I can understand why we brought him in but now that the players are starting to click and we have a bit of bench strength we really don't need him coming on unless absolutely necessary.

Martinelli and Pepe are being saved for Thursday, Willian unlikely to even feature. I think given the scoreline, introducing either of them would have been stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Luiz seems to be getting a contract extension....

Bizarre if true. Surely time for him to pack his bags at the end of the season.

No idea what they're playing at with the CB situation. Apparently we're in the market for a promising right sided CB in the summer too, as if we don't already have one that's playing for Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maybe Saliba is just a bit of a twat , like Guendouzi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Maybe Saliba is just a bit of a twat , like Guendouzi
    I can't see Saliba ever playing for Arsenal again as long as Arteta is in charge.

There's clearly an issue there, and judging by how he's done in the French league I don't think the issue is football related.

Him mouthing off every few weeks presumably isn't helping his cause either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Logs in for a read

Quickly logs back out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I only caught bits of the game yesterday. Who stood out (apart from Auba obviously) Did Odegaard impress?

greendom wrote: »
    I only caught bits of the game yesterday. Who stood out (apart from Auba obviously) Did Odegaard impress?

Saka was brilliant again. Odegaard still finding his feet. Some of his passing was very good

Oh and ESR. Some will say he was taking a shot but I think he looks up and sees Auba for that 3rd goal. Excuisite if he meant it

Bizarre if true. Surely time for him to pack his bags at the end of the season.

No idea what they're playing at with the CB situation. Apparently we're in the market for a promising right sided CB in the summer too, as if we don't already have one that's playing for Nice.

This is one where I'd like to have been wrong, but its trending all over the place today, so looks like a 1 year extension

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

This is one where I'd like to have been wrong, but its trending all over the place today, so looks like a 1 year extension

To be honest, I don't mind Luiz for another year.
    I think that with the improvement in movement and positioning further up the pitch, his good passing could come very handy in certain games. That run yesterday that almost resulted to an assist to Auba, was really good.
    Maybe not a starter every game but a good squad player to have in certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

I won't go insane if we give him another one year contract but I do think it's time to move on from Luiz.

Luiz doesn't always do himself any favours but he is a very useful squad member and on his day can be imperious. It is very clear also from interactions on the field with teammates and any interviews etc. that I have seen that he is incredibly popular and is probably a very good influence on the training ground and in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1361308530582560772?s=19

5star02707 wrote: »

Just goes to show about the previous guff from the press about Luiz not talking with Arteta and the broken relationship.

Mikel doesn't strike me as a guy who forgives easily, especially if its affecting the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just goes to show about the previous guff from the press about Luiz not talking with Arteta and the broken relationship.

Mikel doesn't strike me as a guy who forgives easily, especially if its affecting the team.

At a guess, I think that the main s**tstirrer has been moved on, so you'll probably see less talk like this.

Hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Next run of fixtures will define our season to be honest.

https://twitter.com/TheFalseNein/status/1361440240628600833?s=19

5star02707 wrote: »
    Next run of fixtures will define our season to be honest.

https://twitter.com/TheFalseNein/status/1361440240628600833?s=19

I’ve been saying that since the Southampton game. 11 games. 22+ points would have been outstanding and necessary if they had their eye on a respectable placing in the table. Currently only on 7 points from 5 games. 15 from the remaining 6 ain’t happening :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ten years ago today.

Which is extremely sobering.

• Advertisement

Tierney returned to training to day but probably still a couple of weeks off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

Watching the Barca - PSG game and thinking how far the team is away from even remotely competing with clubs at those levels. Sublime team chemistry on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's nice to be back lads! :D Are we all set for Thursday? COYG

DenMan wrote: »
    It's nice to be back lads! :D Are we all set for Thursday? COYG

Yep, love to see the same team out again to be honest, Auba central was good, strong bench and this time, no Willian

Arghus wrote: »
    Ten years ago today.

Which is extremely sobering.

10 years !!! Jaysus, I was at that game and they absolutely battered us, how we won it I still don’t know but a fair few nervous pints before the game and a shedload of celebratory ones after the game !!

Yep, love to see the same team out again to be honest, Auba central was good, strong bench and this time, no Willian

Think I would like to see Matt Ryan in nets as he is highly capable and will need game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Very impressed with Aubameyang, Odegaard and ESR together at the weekend. More of the same on Thursday with Laca and Pepe on the bench to come on if needed. Pepe plays good for us in Europe consistently for some reason.

Think I would like to see Matt Ryan in nets as he is highly capable and will need game time

It would be a huge risk for an important game, I like the guy but he won't have the full reading or understanding of the defence yet. Not really fair on him or the team. Solid on the bench tho in case Leno goes walkies again

It would be a huge risk for an important game, I like the guy but he won't have the full reading or understanding of the defence yet. Not really fair on him or the team. Solid on the bench tho in case Leno goes walkies again

If we go down to 10 it doesn’t matter who we stick in nets, give Williian a go since he’s guaranteed to be on the pitch at some point anyway and he def contributes feck all up the pitch :pac:

Its Football London so read it as you will....but heard that Chambers & Runarsson are gone, Laca was being touted as for sale if Balogun signs as we then have enough strikers to fill that role

https://twitter.com/AFTVMedia/status/1361958815369994241?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Fully expect Laca to go, and probably Nketiah to go if Balogun signs, but I'd say a new striker will be around the top of the shopping list if that does happen.

Not a hope is Arteta going into a season with only 32year old Auba, zero experience Balogun and very little experience Martinelli up top.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement