Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Fully expect Laca to go, and probably Nketiah to go if Balogun signs, but I'd say a new striker will be around the top of the shopping list if that does happen.

Not a hope is Arteta going into a season with only 32year old Auba, zero experience Balogun and very little experience Martinelli up top.

Previously been linked with Eduardo from Celtic and he will definitely be leaving Scotland in the summer, could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

It would be a huge risk for an important game, I like the guy but he won't have the full reading or understanding of the defence yet. Not really fair on him or the team. Solid on the bench tho in case Leno goes walkies again

Possibly, but all the games from here on in will be important but do you really want to wait for an injury to throw him in. He performed very well in the game Leno was suspended and was probably our best player that day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Think I would like to see Matt Ryan in nets as he is highly capable and will need game time

I wouldn’t be playing him in the Europa League. It should be our strongest lineups in the Europa League from now on. The Europa League is the best chance of success this season and a route into the champions league.
    It’s going to be a tall task to climb up the premier league table. I’d go all in on the Europa League now. If players need a rest, then rest them in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The Europa League is just as big an ask if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Its Football London so read it as you will....but heard that Chambers & Runarsson are gone, Laca was being touted as for sale if Balogun signs as we then have enough strikers to fill that role

https://twitter.com/AFTVMedia/status/1361958815369994241?s=20

If runnarsonn is going permanently then whoever signed off on signing him should also go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If runnarsonn is going permanently then whoever signed off on signing him should also go

Every signing is a gamble of varying degrees, if you were to sack everyone who sanctioned a signing that didn't work out, you wouldn't have too many left at any club. He cost £1.5m at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

L'prof wrote: »

Agree. We’re currently 6 points behind Liverpool. It will take a great run but it’s achievable!

I know I’m a dreamer so don’t @me :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

emmetlego wrote: »
    Agree. We’re currently 6 points behind Liverpool. It will take a great run but it’s achievable!

I know I’m a dreamer so don’t @me :D :pac:

Unfortunately finishing above Liverpool could still mean missing out on an European place. Really impressed with West Ham, Everton and Villa still being up there especially with a couple of them having two games in hand! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

L'prof wrote: »

Yeah it’s a massive ask alright, just think it’s more achievable than finishing top 4 in the league. Sure look at the upcoming fixtures in the league. Very small margin for error, dropping many more points and it suddenly becomes an even bigger mountain to climb.

At least in the Europa League, can take each tie as it comes. In these cup competitions you can play not to lose and still get far in it. Whereas in the league gonna have to win the majority of the games to even stand a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

We'll need Man City to beat Everton tonight. If we could get a draw with City ourselves on Sunday that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thierry to become next Bournemouth manager

It was Pavon, he's on a very sticky wicket anyway. Brentford signed him in 2018, We got him in 2020 and looks like he's on his was again. Arteta is a good mate but it hasn't worked.

Tonight press conference

Arteta on Willian criticism
    "I don't say it's unfair. The expectations of Willy and the goals he can score, the assists he can create. It's normal that people will write things about him. We have to protect him as much as we can."

Full conf here:

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/fixtures-results/arsenal-press-conference-live-mikel-19859132.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tuned into Nice v Marseille hoping to see Saliba but realized he isn't even in the squad. Not showing as injured.

Turns out it's are scheduled fixture from November so he isn't eligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

It's written in the stars am I right?

https://twitter.com/OsmanZtheGooner/status/1362167494702678016?s=19

Time to break this one haha

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Every signing is a gamble of varying degrees, if you were to sack everyone who sanctioned a signing that didn't work out, you wouldn't have too many left at any club. He cost £1.5m at the end of the day.

Ah it's not about the cost though. It's about the speed in which he has come in and been found out and obviously not fancied by the coach either.

William is poor too but still has arteta backing. It's not the fact that he is poor and the lad is obviously still young it's that they must think he is so poor that they are giving up on him after only a few months despite him being so young.

I actually feel sorry for the lad it that's the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ah it's not about the cost though. It's about the speed in which he has come in and been found out and obviously not fancied by the coach either.

William is poor too but still has arteta backing. It's not the fact that he is poor and the lad is obviously still young it's that they must think he is so poor that they are giving up on him after only a few months despite him being so young.

I actually feel sorry for the lad it that's the case

I think a lot of people think Runarsson is much younger than he is....he's 26!

Still pretty young for a GK but its not like he's that much younger than Leno who's 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Still pretty young for a GK but its not like he's that much younger than Leno who's 28
    As is Matt Ryan who's a proven PL goalie.

Wow your right I thought he was only about 21

• Advertisement

We're live on Virgin Media 2 tonight lads, just after the Sociedad/Utd game. COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DenMan wrote: »
    We're live on Virgin Media 2 tonight lads, just after the Sociedad/Utd game. COYG

Also on BT2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Can't understand the logic of renewing David Luiz's contract and getting rid of Chambers. Sure, Chambers will generate a few quid but would much rather keep him as a home grown player and free up a slot by getting rid of Luiz.

Fully agree with Arteta on Willian. It's not like he's playing badly on purpose, I reckon if fans were in the stadium he'd have been on the receiving end of a chorus of boos from Arsenal fans similar to what happened Eboue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

So excited for tonight's match, I would absolutely love to win this competition. In my life time Arsenal have never won a European trophy. All my eggs are in the Europa League basket COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    So excited for tonight's match, I would absolutely love to win this competition. In my life time Arsenal have never won a European trophy. All my eggs are in the Europa League basket COYG

I now feel old....I remember well winning the cup winners cup in 94 (already working age....) and I unfortunately remember the Nayim last minute outstanding/lucky goal in 95 too.....everything just stopped.....one of the biggest WTF moments I ever remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Azatadine wrote: »
    I now feel old....I remember well winning the cup winners cup in 94 (already working age....) and I unfortunately remember the Nayim last minute outstanding/lucky goal in 95 too.....everything just stopped.....one of the biggest WTF moments I ever remember....

To be fair I was alive for the 1994 cup winners cup but was only 6, with mo memory of it, so was probably more interested in Bosco then football.
    My football memory and interest obviously begun in 95 then
    cause I do remember Nayim and the heartache of that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

To be fair I was alive for the 1994 cup winners cup but was only 6, with mo memory of it, so was probably more interested in Bosco then football.
    My football memory and interest obviously begun in 95 then
    cause I do remember Nayim and the heartache of that though.

Stunned silence when he scored....even in the stadium......it really was an unbelievable end to the game.....

As a child I remember the name Sergei Yuran knocking us out of the European Cup in 1991 by tonight's opponents Benfica. After the great title winning team in 1991 we missed out on the group stages of the competition which began that year. Benfica knocked us out to qualify for it. 1-1 away and then 1-3 at Highbury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You were under 12 when you signed up for Boards?

EDIT: Just seen your reply above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Ugh...I was old enough to witness Brady and Rix miss penalties against Valencia in the 1980 ECWC.

Started dating my husband in 1996, so I guess I've been an Arsenal fan since then! Luckily I don't recall any of the euro heartaches under George Graham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

gscully wrote: »
    Ugh...I was old enough to witness Brady and Rix miss penalties against Valencia in the 1980 ECWC.

Ditto.

and was in the ground the night we lost the Uefa cup final on penalties to Galatasaray. 2001 IIRC.

To this day i have no idea how Overmars missed the chance we had at the death.:mad:
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

gscully wrote: »

That and losing the FA Cup few days earlier change of emotion after the 79 cup final

An to kill it off Brady left to go to Juve

Team news coming up in just over an hour. Curious to see who he goes with with City on Sunday. Willian might start and play a blinder, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mikel really gunning for the Europa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Team unchanged from the Leeds game according to Twitter

This the team from a tweet from Futbol Total. Nothing official yet!

XI ARSENAL: Leno; Bellerín, David Luiz, Gabriel, Cédric; Xhaka, Ceballos; Saka, Smith Rowe, Odegaard; Aubameyang.

Same team as Leeds start according to Eufa with Pepe and Laca on the bench

I have Willian to score :)

greendom wrote: »
    Mikel really gunning for the Europa!

Arsenal XI: Leno; Bellerin, Luiz, Gabriel, Cedric; Ceballos, Xhaka; Saka, Smith Rowe, Odegaard; Aubameyang

Unusual for the team to be announced over an hour before kick off. Wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

greendom wrote: »
    Unusual for the team to be announced over an hour before kick off. Wonder why?

It's an hour and fifteen minutes before kick off before European games

• Advertisement

It's an hour and fifteen minutes before kick off before European games

Actually not convinced its the correct team sheet, heard there was a change from Leeds.... Let's see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Really looking forward to seeing Odegaard start a game again. He wasn't hugely influential in the last game but some of his touches were class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Strange team selection in some respects. Given the congested fixture list I'd have expected at least some rotation.

Not sure what Pepe has to do to stay in the team, probably in the best run of form in his Arsenal career to date before being dropped for the Leeds game. Mikel clearly just does not rate him.

Utd putting Sociedad to the sword now. Hopefully we can do the same against Benfica. COYG

United with a statement of intent tonight against Real Sociadad. They're probably the best team left in it.

EDIT: DenMan either a better stream than me, or a much faster typist!

Odegaard listed as 10?

Pepe nailed on to start against City

Nice and open so far. We will create plenty chances, hopefully we take a few of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

emmetlego wrote: »
    United with a statement of intent tonight against Real Sociadad. They're probably the best team left in it.

EDIT: DenMan either a better stream than me, or a much faster typist!

Best team left in it who can't beat us seemingly? I'd welcome them in the final over a few of the alternatives tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement