Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

wonga77 wrote: »
    Elneny wouldnt get in the City squad yet he plays most of the game for us, thats the difference

No he doesn't. First choice is clearly Xhaka & Partey, and Ceballos when Partey has been injured. Elneny rotates with Ceballos then depending on the priority of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Needed more urgency. Showed them way, way too much respect. Afraid to attack them even though they weren't threatening at all.

Another game where you feel if Partey was on the pitch we might have won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

I want to see a defender bring a gun onto the pitch and shoot someone as the ball is running out of play. Should be grand it seems.

Just talking to someone else who said Holding didn't have a bad game. And he's right, as far as Holding goes. But it shows we have a starting centre back who's bar is so low that getting beaten by Sterling for a headed goal and then injuring himself with a sloppy tackle constitutes "not a bad game" for him.

1 mistake in his last 8 or 9 matches... I dont know who this magical centreback is that you're comparing him to that never makes mistakes but I haven't seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

DenMan wrote: »
    At least we made them earn it!

Did we? Was more like a glorified training session out there. We were never going to score. And if we did, they’d have just gone down the other end and retaken the lead. We are a guaranteed easy 6 points for City the last 4 seasons. It’s actually quite painful viewing at times.

On our day we can beat/compete against anyone in the league, except for City. Just city have our number and have had it for years. It’s an inferiority complex too, the players were literally scared the first half hour of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Quazzie wrote: »
    No he doesn't. First choice is clearly Xhaka & Partey, and Ceballos when Partey has been injured. Elneny rotates with Ceballos then depending on the priority of the game.

My point being that a player like Elneny wouldn't get near the City squad regardless of injuries. We won't ever progress with average players like Elneny.
    I love what I've seen so far from Partey but I dunno if we should we be depending on him, he's been injured an awful lot since he got here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

On the plus side I thought Mari played very well today. Him and Gabriel should be our CD partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Needed more urgency. Showed them way, way too much respect. Afraid to attack them even though they weren't threatening at all.

Agreed I felt we were more worried about keeping it no worse than 1-0 than trying to chase the 1-1

wonga77 wrote: »
    My point being that a player like Elneny wouldn't get near the City squad regardless of injuries. We won't ever progress with average players like Elneny.
    I love what I've seen so far from Partey but I dunno if we should we be depending on him, he's been injured an awful lot since he got here

Partey was rarely if ever injured at Atletico Madrid. Think rushing him back that time against Spurs has slowed his progress. Hopefully when he does come back now he will be fully fit and they don’t rush him like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

On the plus side I thought Mari played very well today. Him and Gabriel should be our CD partnership.

He has consistently impressed tbf to him just doesn’t seem to be able to get a run. I’d agree these too are the best pairing we have

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

No shame in a 1-0 loss to city they’re clearly a tier above us at the moment. Better than a 4-1 pasting.

Nothing wrong with 1-0, but I'd rather we went and try to make a game of it instead of watching that Big Sam tripe. Probably end up losing 4-1 alright but a defeat is a defeat.

The only time they felt threatened all game was from Cancelo's backpass. We created nothing of note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Poor game. While we only lost one-nil I don't recall us having a decent shot on target and City looked very leggy and there for the taking. Pity we couldn't get a least a point from them. I saw the rotation to the line up and I thought I've made a mistake backing us on PP for 11/2 as Arteta is obviously focusing on the Europa League and was unfortunately proven right. Anyway onwards and upwards hopefully a win and a better performance in Athens.

Pep with a LOT of praise for Arteta in the post match interview.

Were you expecting anything otherwise? Clearly he has great respect for Arteta

Pep with a LOT of praise for Arteta in the post match interview.

And Gary Neville praises Solskjaer and the cosmic ballet continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

11 league defeats now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Holding is the future. Gabriel is a liability IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I wasn't expecting anything from this game, Man City are on another level to everything in the premier league and possibly the best team in Europe. A 1-0 defeat feels most acceptable, but you could tell the players were very disappointed after the game, their demeanour was so down. As for City's goal, sometimes you have to applaud brilliance, that cross was superb and Sterling rose like a salmon to finish. There wasn't really an error there, KT couldn't dive in on Mahrez and was quite tight on him.

Negatives:
    Very tired players could be close to red lines for injuries.
    Any loss is a negative.

Positives:
    We had a go at them several times and could have nicked a draw with a bit of luck.
    A Spurs fan told me today that he's really impressed with the football Arteta has us playing!!!
    That game is now behind us.

11 league defeats now.

Yeah but Pep said nice things about Arteta so ya know, swings and roundabouts.

Yeah but Pep said nice things about Arteta so ya know, swings and roundabouts.

I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive about Arsenal. Why do you even support them if they make you so miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

AFTV have blocked me, it's the biggest honour I've ever had

• Advertisement

I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive about Arsenal. Why do you even support them if they make you so miserable.

If I'd had intimate meals and discussions over an extended period of time with Arteta then maybe like Pep I'd have some reason to lavish effusive praise on a manager with no experience who has shown nothing to suggest he's going to turn things around.

I've said plenty positive about Arsenal over, Jesus, 9 years on this account. Even last season you'll see the odd post when I naively thought maybe things were getting better. But I have eyes and the club is completely directionless right now and a mediocre (at best) manager having us in mid-table isn't something to be celebrating.
    Next year will be the 5th straight out of the CL. Hell, maybe if we miss out on CL we might have a run at EL qualifying next season with the easier fixture list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

What is it in Martinelli that Arteta doesn't trust? He's got all the right attributes for Arteta: hard-working, honest, resourceful. Yet, since Arteta started managing Arsenal, he's left Martinelli sidelined.

It upsets me that we're not giving our future star any time out there. I know he's only back from injury a few weeks, but it's always been the case that he's been left out regardless of fitness.

I still believe in Arteta and back him completely, but am a bit disillusioned by his player selections. With Willian getting time and Willock not getting a sniff of game time before being shipped off, I just feel there's more politics at play than we realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

On our day we can beat/compete against anyone in the league, except for City. Just city have our number and have had it for years. It’s an inferiority complex too, the players were literally scared the first half hour of that game.

Was last years cup something that I imagined??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

A friend of mine made a very valid point in a Whatsapp group - Only Arsenal would let Sterling score a header against them.

There is no excuse for that from Holding, I like him generally and he recovered well enough in the game but you cannot as a 6 foot + centre back be letting 5'7 midgets be getting the jump on you no matter how good the cross is.

Very similar to the Villa goal he was not tight enough on his man and we were punished. He's fine as back up but I would still be hoping very much that Saliba comes back in the summer and takes that spot and makes it his own.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    A friend of mine made a very valid point in a Whatsapp group - Only Arsenal would let Sterling score a header against them.

There is no excuse for that from Holding, I like him generally and he recovered well enough in the game but you cannot as a 6 foot + centre back be letting 5'7 midgets be getting the jump on you no matter how good the cross is.

Very similar to the Villa goal he was not tight enough on his man and we were punished. He's fine as back up but I would still be hoping very much that Saliba comes back in the summer and takes that spot and makes it his own.

8 of Sterling's 95 EPL goals have been headers, so it's definitely not just Arsenal that would let him score a header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »

I get the point but your mate needs to do a little more research. Sterling has scored 11 goals via headers in his career. I don't think they were all against Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I wonder how many of those came against "big" teams though. I can't remember any.

Sterling has only played in Liverpool and Man City teams that regularly score 4 or more in matches and make mince meat of bad teams. I could forgive a header conceded to a little lad when you're 3-0 down and dejected, not 90 seconds into a match where you should be completely switched on and competing for everything.

The Villa goal was worryingly early too, and the games progressed pretty similarly from that point.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Was last years cup something that I imagined??

Yes I’m well aware of the win in the FA Cup semi final last year :rolleyes: How about the previous 8 premier league games against them, scoring only twice and getting steamrolled? But sure no inferiority complex against them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Yes I’m well aware of the win in the FA Cup semi final last year :rolleyes: How about the previous 8 premier league games against them, scoring only twice and getting steamrolled? But sure no inferiority complex against them at all.

We are infereior to them, I would have thought that was perfectly obvious :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well, way I see it, that's that game over. Don't have to see them again this season.

It's a weird season. We're 10th, we've lost more league games than we did all last season, but I still think we're a good bit better than that. I can see a great run or results over the next while.

(Although I'm usually wrong about, well, everything).

(Except Willian).

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

What is it in Martinelli that Arteta doesn't trust?

Supposedly struggling big time with growing pains since returning from injury. By all accounts I've seen, Arteta sees him as the future of the club so don't think there's anything to do with a lack of trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AFTV have blocked me, it's the biggest honour I've ever had

So much for "giving fans a voice" eh? :D

I still can't believe they're as big as they are, the cheek of them putting up anti racism videos when they themselves tried to justify using a racial slur last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x PyRo wrote: »
    Supposedly struggling big time with growing pains since returning from injury. By all accounts I've seen, Arteta sees him as the future of the club so don't think there's anything to do with a lack of trust.

Oh was that Martinelli? I heard them mention it yesterday and assumed it was ESR

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

L'prof wrote: »
    Oh was that Martinelli? I heard them mention it yesterday and assumed it was ESR

Same issue with ESR but he mustn't be as serious! Assume they're being super cautious with Martinelli given the couple of scares he had since returning. Easy to see why he'd be having issues as he has got huge compared to before the first proper injury!

Well, way I see it, that's that game over. Don't have to see them again this season.

It's a weird season. We're 10th, we've lost more league games than we did all last season, but I still think we're a good bit better than that. I can see a great run or results over the next while.

We have a run of handy fixtures right at the end. That's when a decent run will come and give more false hope.

• Advertisement

We have a run of handy fixtures right at the end. That's when a decent run will come and give more false hope.

There’s no reason to be hopeful so?

L'prof wrote: »
    There’s no reason to be hopeful so?

Nothing logical.

So even when it's positive it's still a negative. :rolleyes:

So even when it's positive it's still a negative. :rolleyes:

The "good run" will be against **** teams. Same as the last run. It averages over the season but will look like an uptick. That's assuming such a run even happens.

PSG in for Bellerin?

• Advertisement

PSG in for Bellerin?

Happy days

PSG in for Bellerin?

Fashion capital so he'll be gone in a flash. In all seriousness I think he's improved but his final ball let's him down every time. He seems to get in great positions but never beats the first man with his crosses. A few years back I was sure he was gonna head to Barca but now I wouldn't be so worried about losing him really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

PSG in for Bellerin?

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Always find that people are very harsh on Bellerin, yes his final balls needs work and he can frustrate me but will always have a soft spot for him, has always given everything for the club, loved the way he burst on the scene with that pace, seems a great guy for the young players and new players in the dressing room. Will be sad to see him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think I've ever seen a player lose their pace as drastically as Bellerin has following an injury

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    Always find that people are very harsh on Bellerin, yes his final balls needs work and he can frustrate me but will always have a soft spot for him, has always given everything for the club, loved the way he burst on the scene with that pace, seems a great guy for the young players and new players in the dressing room. Will be sad to see him go.

I’ll be sad for him when he has to go but it will be for the good of the team. Tierney on the left really draws attention to all that’s lacking from Bellerin’s game. Sadly he never lived up to his potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a player lose their pace as drastically as Bellerin has following an injury

Major ACL injury affects every player badly. Like learning to walk again after it nevermind running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'd like Max Aaron's as his replacement. Lamptey seems a bit injury prone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

On this day in 1997 Arsenal signed 17 year old Nicolas Anelka. He was bought for £500,000 and sold two and half years later for £22.3m. Him and Henry would have been great together. I remember when he was at Liverpool on loan and that's 19 years ago now. :eek:

Partey took part in full time training today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement