Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

x PyRo wrote: »
    Someone once said Saka has no balls. :D Biggest balls in the club. Going to be a superstar.

If they were any bigger he’d need a wheelbarrow. Dragged us through that game along with Auba and Tierney. Willian even did well when he came on god love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

Credit to Willian, fair to say he helped change the momentum of the game. Had an assist within five minutes of coming on and looked sharp and on it from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ceballos should probably just be left in Greece after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pitch looked really slippy for us tonight, didn't seem to affect Benfica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's probably the one positive this season, really hope he doesn't turn into Bellerin.

😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Never in doubt lads, I don't know why all the fuss! :D

That was a rollercoaster of a ride, Always in the back of my head before the game, all they have to do is score once and our heads will drop and our advantage gone, but the team showed immense character to dig that out. Individual errors are cursing us at the moment.

Positives:
    KT, Saka, Auba, Partey and (don't shoot me) Willian! Oh, and character and "balls"!

Negatives:
    Gabriel and Luiz are not good under pressure. And oh my God, Ceballos. A game to forget. 2 mistakes that could have killed us if it weren't for the great character shown by the team.

Going to have a glass of vino now. Need to unwind after that madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Delighted with that and hate to sound negative but we're going no further. Theres some quality teams left in this that would eat us alive.
    Put it this way, if Benfica held on and went through you would say that no team would be afraid of drawing them.
    Id hate for Spurs or Utd to be the ones to put us out.
    Saka and Tierney are unbelievably good, we might struggle to hold onto them long term. Ceballos got out of jail big time.
    Draw tomorrow I believe, next rounds are March 11 & 18

Interesting that Molde went through beating a highly fancied Hoffenheim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

19 he is only 19! A teenager! Starboy Saka you beaut!

What the fúck is Martin Keown wearing? Looks like Mr Bean

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Was loving that half up until the free kick now I’ve a bad feeling about this game.

If I see Willian the TV is getting fùcked out the back.

I hope your TV survived BB :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gabriel was impressive earlier in the season but I think Pablo Mari has seemed more composed and more like the finished product any time we’ve seen him this season. Shame they’re both left footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Last 16 draw is in at 12pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Credit to Willian, fair to say he helped change the momentum of the game. Had an assist within five minutes of coming on and looked sharp and on it from the start.

He did make a positive difference when he came on. Be great if he maintains that

Gabriel was impressive earlier in the season but I think Pablo Mari has seemed more composed and more like the finished product any time we’ve seen him this season. Shame they’re both left footed.

I can't understand the aversion to having two left footed centre halves, how many right footed centre half pairings are there in world football? I'd say most centre half pairings are two right footers.

I get what you mean, as Arteta clearly wants a right footer and a left footer in there. That's a shame because for me Gabriel and Mari are probably our two best CB's.

Utd are safe and Leicester look to be heading out with the draw tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'm hoping for FC Molde

Vardy out of EL gives me a lovely warm fuzzy revenge feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Have to say Tierney and saka have been incredible for us. Especially Tierney I've been watching him during his celtic days and he's just a pure player you don't get these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

And yes I rate Tierney higher than Robertson :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Great result. Could have done without the extra stress, but it made the eventual triumph feel sweeter. Saka is the man.

Didn't feel confident going into it. 1-1 was a dodgy result from the first leg. And at 2-1 I thought it was over. It felt like it was just going to be one of those familiar nights: left ruefully thinking about missed chances and the unfairness of being knocked out on "away" goals despite neither being at home or away at any stage during the tie. There was an element of farce to that outcome that felt very on-brand and impossible to pass up for Arsenal.

So the team digging it out and going through was quite, quite, satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭mossie

Molde would probably be the best to draw but wouldn't be surprised to be drawn with Spurs or United.

5star02707 wrote: »

It worked out well in the end, but his argument of working in tight spaces doesn't make much sense to me. I'd say Pepe is better Willian in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Like everyone else on here, thought the game was dead when we went 2-1 down. Wasn't convinced we'd come back even when Tierney scored another class and extremely important goal. Was delighted to see him score and get the lads fired up and going for it. The goal was deserved in the end and great play from Saka, what we're coming to expect these days. Be interesting to see who we get next, will need to be more clinical whoever it is, hopefully we can keep the run going in this as the league looks like a lost race (for champions league places), although it's been such a strange season you never know where you're going to end up.

Basil3 wrote: »
    It worked out well in the end, but his argument of working in tight spaces doesn't make much sense to me. I'd say Pepe is better Willian in this regard.

I agree on what you said but for Arteta, Willian can create more chances than Pepe. It's Pepe's final ball / pass / decision making which he doesn't trust from my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

How many thought after Auba put us 3-2 up that VAR would disallow it... I know I get that sinking feeling so many time snow its sucking any enjoyment out of the game.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Are teams from same country not kept apart til after this round?

If we do get one and win it would be a great step towards going deep.

Slim enough chance there's only 2 out of 15, personally I'd take Rangers first or else any of the remaining lower ranked teams. Let Spurs and United draw each other!

What time is it on?

If we manage to get Spurs that's 3 North London Derby in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is there seeding in this round or is it a free for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's 4 teams that we can come against who I would fear. Spurs, United, Roma and Ajax.

Reallistically anyone outside them 4 we should be beating.

Would be interesting to come against Emery with Villareal.

The last 16 draw is live on the UEFA website @12pm. COYG

I've a funny feeling we're going to get Slavia Prague.

Quazzie wrote: »
    There's 4 teams that we can come against who I would fear. Spurs, United, Roma and Ajax.

Reallistically anyone outside them 4 we should be beating.

Would be interesting to come against Emery with Villareal.

Id add AC to that list. Rangers will be no pushover for any team either. Gerrard has done a great job there.
    Id be disgusted if Mourinho put us out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

DenMan wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling we're going to get Slavia Prague.

I'd say there's about a 2% chance of us getting anyone that isn't Spurs or United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Delighted to be through but my god we made that difficult. Shot ourselves in the foot three times (superb free kick though) against a really poor Benfica side, no surprise to see them having their worst league run im years. Doesn't say much for us that we were 5 minutes from going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

We are well able the win this competition, just got to cut out errors. So hard to watch when it's brain-dead errors that put us in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Olympiacos vs Arsenal. I will take that

That's actually hilarious.

• Advertisement

Olympiakos vs Arsenal

Manchester United vs AC Milan
    Dinamo Zagreb vs Tottenham Hotspur
    Slavia Prague vs Rangers
    Ajax vs BSC Young Boys
    Dynamo Kiev vs Villarreal
    Roma vs Shakhtar Donetsk
    Granada vs Molde

Back to Greece again! Happy with that. The more Arteta works with the players now the better we'll get as a team. Utd got Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

darego wrote: »
    Olympiacos vs Arsenal. I will take that

I actually don't like the draw, not just because we seem to play them every year, but they're just the type of team we underestimate and can catch us out.

Our record against them seems to bear that out, played 10, won 5 and lost 5. Pretty bad all things considered.

Anyway this competition looks really winnable this year, happy not to see the likes of Sevilla or Athletico in it.

Spurs will not travel on their first leg tie before our NLD

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1365274988375396353?s=19

How would that work if neither club was the national cup holder? Say both teams got in to the Europa League via the league, 5th and 6th place and a Champions League placed team won the domestic cups. Just curious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

one of the teams that I didn't want.
    I am from Greece and have many friends that support Olympiacos - I will never hear the end of it if we get knocked out by them two years in a row.

United v Milan is a great draw for us. Bit more hopeful about the EL now.

5star02707 wrote: »
    Spurs will not travel on their first leg tie before our NLD

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1365274988375396353?s=19

Ludicrous rules continue. That only makes sense when fans are attending. It's a big boost for them for the NLD... easier draw and now no travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

United v Milan is a great draw for us. Bit more hopeful about the EL now.

United Vs Ivan Gazidis.

I'd almost be up for United.

Some of Liams' best moments

https://youtu.be/HFOK03X5NLM

Sorry it wouldn't embed, but well worth a look

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement