Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit impact on UK imports?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It says excluding Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's not just Ireland, all this talk is taking place in all European countries who are finding out everything they purchase in UK ends up with a courier at their door demanding 100s of euros depending on the purchase. All these countries are saying the same thing, need to find a european supplier for that same product.
    NO ONE now wants to trade with UK ,This is going to cost UK trillions every year in lost sales.

Who in their right mind will deal with UK, no one, unless by mistake, where they end up with a big bill, but once will be enough for them to switch to a EU dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ireland should be switching to left hand drive vehicles, and roads.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    It says excluding Northern Ireland.

Car99 asked about car parts from UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Its all going to get very interesting when a NI "dealer" (3 cars outside his house) sells a GB car ( with a GB last registered owner on the V5) and the only paperwork is a sales invoice using a Word 97 Invoice template. There are hundreds of those "dealers" up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Its all going to get very interesting when a NI "dealer" (3 cars outside his house) sells a GB car ( with a GB last registered owner on the V5) and the only paperwork is a sales invoice using a Word 97 Invoice template. There are hundreds of those "dealers" up there

I can't see Revenue falling for that. In any case any NI dealer isn't going to selling for less than RoI market price, so no point in buying to import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

VRT calculator down for me at the minute. Doesnt give me an option to put in transmission type.

Same for everybody else?

Its working for me but very slowly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

JonnyM wrote: »
    VRT calculator down for me at the minute. Doesnt give me an option to put in transmission type.

Same for everybody else?

Revenue said computer system strugbecause everyone is trying to find out their covid pup tax bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ZiabR wrote: »
    If you buy from Amazon direct, are they fulfilling from their EU warehouses or are items still being sent from the UK to Ireland? For example, I bought 2 mundane items from Amazing over a week ago and neither have been shipped yet despite them being in stock. Seems a right mess at the moment.

I ordered some likewise mundane items from U.K. Amazon (Kent warehouse). Initial delivery date of 11/1 then pushed out to 18/1 but arrived yesterday 14/1.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I ordered some likewise mundane items from U.K. Amazon (Kent warehouse). Initial delivery date of 11/1 then pushed out to 18/1 but arrived yesterday 14/1.

did you get charged customs duty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Isambard wrote: »
    I can't see Revenue falling for that.

You keep taking about revenue, they are just VRT officers who require certain paperwork. A hand written sales invoice from a private seller was enough previously ( I brought them in using them ).

Anyhow that's WHY it's interesting to see what will be necessary.
    Isambard wrote: »
    In any case any NI dealer isn't going to selling for less than RoI market price, so no point in buying to import

What? Plenty of people go North presently and if nothing has changed, then they still will. In fact the market will probably boom if its the only way to get them in.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    You keep taking about revenue, they are just VRT officers who require certain paperwork. A hand written sales invoice from a private seller was enough previously ( I brought them in using them ).

Anyhow that's WHY it's interesting to see what will be necessary.

What? Plenty of people go North presently and if nothing has changed, then they still will. In fact the market will probably boom if its the only way to get them in.

I can't see astute car dealers selling for less than the most they can get and with the price of GB cars into Ireland increasing, they'll be looking to get more for their cars. Irish secondhand prices no doubt will rise too for the same reason.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

User1998 wrote: »
    clio_16v wrote: »
    Any idea how much vat / customs / whatever else I would pay on parts? Looking to buy a 2nd hand Hybrid battery in the uk and get it shipped over. Price is around 280 pounds

10% customs 23% vat

2.7% duty + VAT @21/23%

Commodity code starts 85 07 xx xx xx

3.7% on lead-acid, 2.6% on Ni-Cad, 2.7% everything else.

Not everything is "10%" it depends on the originating country / destination / product

ETA: e.g If they are Li-ion made in Japan they'd be zero, but if they are made in China then they're 2.7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

Has anybody seen press articles on southern car dealers using their lobby to get any concessions on GB or NI based used car imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

pale rider wrote: »
    Has anybody seen press articles on southern car dealers using their lobby to get any concessions on GB or NI based used car imports.

That would require further trade negotiations between the EU and Britain... Not something that can happen arbitrarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Bluefoam wrote: »
    That would require further trade negotiations between the EU and Britain... Not something that can happen arbitrarily.

Not necessarily, I saw an accountant in BDO claim that the Returned Goods relief part of existing EU customs rules could be used to avoid duty on EU origin goods bought via U.K.. Might also work for used cars but would need approval for use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

Concessions could be made on VRT rates, very significantly increased since January 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

3 weeks into Brexit and following this thread and I'm scarcely the wiser!!
    All appears to be bad news from what I can gather :
    1. The direct route from GB which is really where the choice and value lay is as I read it now, completely uneconomic due to 21% VAT and 10% excuse duty

2. You can get around the above by buying in NI (more expensive and far less choice) but the car appears to be needed to be originally reg in NI or there could be customs issues.

That’s as I understand it? This is like an earthquake to our car buying habits- 100k cars or so came in from the U.K. annually.
    And all at a time when new car prices have taken a very big upswing here (and were already very expensive to begin with). Any half decent Focus or Golf is €25k new or more.
    Is there any possibility lease and PCP prices might get more realistic here? We are a financial services centre after all and that’s effectively what these programmes are?!

Is it possible to get a VAT rebate on imports from GB? It should be id have thought?

Only on VAT qualifying cars. Basically cars that were owned by VAT registered businesses

Are our useless government going to do nothing as usual? The opportunity cost in lost revenue will surely be greater here?

Only on VAT qualifying cars. Basically cars that were owned by VAT registered businesses

Is that a route out? A lot of the cars coming in would be ex company fleet cars anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

road_high wrote: »
    3 weeks into Brexit and following this thread and I'm scarcely the wiser!!
    All appears to be bad news from what I can gather :
    1. The direct route from GB which is really where the choice and value lay is as I read it now, completely uneconomic due to 21% VAT and 10% excuse duty

2. You can get around the above by buying in NI (more expensive and far less choice) but the car appears to be needed to be originally reg in NI or there could be customs issues.

That’s as I understand it? This is like an earthquake to our car buying habits- 100k cars or so came in from the U.K. annually.
    And all at a time when new car prices have taken a very big upswing here (and were already very expensive to begin with). Any half decent Focus or Golf is €25k new or more.
    Is there any possibility lease and PCP prices might get more realistic here? We are a financial services centre after all and that’s effectively what these programmes are?!

It’s made buying a nice car a lot harder. I’ve bought six cars from the uk, one because it was cheaper but all the others as there was either none or very little choice here.
    Now like a lot of others unless I can find a car in the north it’s essentially not going to be viable.
    PCP will never be more realistic here, the new car prices are just too high and without the massive discounts available in the UK the banks just won’t do any better.

• Advertisement

Is that a route out? A lot of the cars coming in would be ex company fleet cars anyway

Well first theres the issue of actually claiming the VAT back, which I’m guessing is complicated enough. UK VAT is 20% and ours is 23%, so thats 3% extra, and then you have 10% customs, as well as the customs brokers fees

Well first theres the issue of actually claiming the VAT back, which I’m guessing is complicated enough. UK VAT is 20% and ours is 23%, so thats 3% extra, and then you have 10% customs, as well as the customs brokers fees

Ours is 21% and has been since September. Due to go back to 23% at end of Feb but may be extended.

The price to pay the remaining balloon payment on PCP stays the same?
    Won't most everyone who has a PCP car approaching the end of finance term be tempted to take ownership of the car as the GMFV buyout price will be considerably lower than the market price now that BREXIT has pushed prices higher.
    Couldn't this further depress annual new sales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Are our useless government going to do nothing as usual? The opportunity cost in lost revenue will surely be greater here?

I can't figure out how Revenue haven't twigged they put the VRT income of 100k+ cars a year in jeopardy ?

Surely they didn't think we were just going to hoik up the extra and 'carry on' as before ? People aren't just going to switch into New over it either, as the gap is too big.

So, people may hold on to their cars longer or change less often.

Be interesting to see how the exchequer deals with the drop in income.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    221, 222, 223, 224 for each quarter of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

galwaytt wrote: »
    I can't figure out how Revenue haven't twigged they put the VRT income of 100k+ cars a year in jeopardy ?

Surely they didn't think we were just going to hoik up the extra and 'carry on' as before ? People aren't just going to switch into New over it either, as the gap is too big.

So, people may hold on to their cars longer or change less often.

Don't worry, the will find some way to screw the motorist for more money, the usually do.
    Probably under the guise of some green tax with them Green muppets in government.

The price to pay the remaining balloon payment on PCP stays the same?
    Won't most everyone who has a PCP car approaching the end of finance term be tempted to take ownership of the car as the GMFV buyout price will be considerably lower than the market price now that BREXIT has pushed prices higher.
    Couldn't this further depress annual new sales?

More equity at the end of three years is more likely to see people move into a brand new car rather than keep their own one surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Has anyone looked into importing from Malta or Cyprus.....both drive on LHS....:) small markets but there could be value there. No vat or import duty bull**** to deal with.....or back to Japanese imports....?

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Has anyone looked into importing from Malta or Cyprus.....both drive on LHS....:) small markets but there could be value there. No vat or import duty bull**** to deal with.....or back to Japanese imports....?

Japan has found other more lucrative markets for its cars... UK being one... Larger scale means better margins. Also shipping to other countries with shorter distances.

Malta and Cyprus are too far and too difficult to ship from. Plus they don't have have massive surplus the way Japan or the UK do. They are smaller countries, with smaller markets, where cars last longer. Cyprus in particular probably wouldn't have many high spec cars available. Malta would have some, but not enough to support an export business.

What happened used Japanese imports here? There was a time where they out numbered used U.K. imports.
    I wasn’t a fan but they had a following. Still see the odd one about usually a Honda Fit, Toyota Vitz or the odd hybrid.

What happened used Japanese imports here? There was a time where they out numbered used U.K. imports.
    I wasn’t a fan but they had a following. Still see the odd one about usually a Honda Fit, Toyota Vitz or the odd hybrid.

https://www.jimcareycarsales.ie/
    This guy seems to have stuck with them but it’s rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭finnan1

Hi, apology if this has been answered elsewhere, but i cant find an answer on the revenue website.
    i am looking at importing a used commercial vehicle from the uk from a dealer, i have a vat registered business in ireland, what charges would i be liable for ?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is there any rule/law/regulation about driving a left hand drive vehicle in this country.....if not then could we see an influx of left hand drives from Germany/France etc making their way to Ireland avoiding the tariffs/import duties/VAT charges that ‘brexodous’ has imposed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is there any rule/law/regulation about driving a left hand drive vehicle in this country.....if not then could we see an influx of left hand drives from Germany/France etc making their way to Ireland avoiding the tariffs/import duties/VAT charges that ‘brexodous’ has imposed :)

I think there may be an insurance loading but nothing in law prevents it, unlike other countries.

is it worth saving a couple of thousand euros to drive a LHS in a RHS country? There are still cars here for sale.

• Advertisement

finnan1 wrote: »
    Hi, apology if this has been answered elsewhere, but i cant find an answer on the revenue website.
    i am looking at importing a used commercial vehicle from the uk from a dealer, i have a vat registered business in ireland, what charges would i be liable for ?

thanks

Think it’s duty at 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭finnan1

Lovely, thanks

The beauty of the U.K. was it was/is a huge market, good cars with high specs, massive choice and competitive prices. And also in RHD right beside us.
    Cars in France tend to be older, much less premium stuff- ever check out used car prices in France? A 20 year old Peugeot that would be scrap here would still fetch decent money!
    In Germany there’s a big pull towards Eastern Europe.
    Our best option is a little pragmatism on the U.K. front from our junta which would be a rare thing indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The japanese yen is alot stronger now than it was in 90's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

is it worth saving a couple of thousand euros to drive a LHS in a RHS country? There are still cars here for sale.

Good business opportunity for someone offering conversions! :pac:

buy LHD and a RHD write off, swap the bits?

easier would be buy irish crashed car, buy similar uk car. swap VIN.
    no vat, no customs, no nox, no nct pre-import check to worry about.
    it'll happen.

easier would be buy irish crashed car, buy similar uk car. swap VIN.
    no vat, no customs, no nox, no nct pre-import check to worry about.
    it'll happen.

+ Few years in jail

• Advertisement

few years in jail for what exactly if you own donor and recipient and don't receive an insurance payout for an accident.
    It is very hard to get sent to jail for more than a few hours in Ireland.

Advertisement