Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit impact on UK imports?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Of all the issues facing the country, and of all the issues we don't yet even know about, embarking on a multi billion euro project aimed at making cars from EU countries accessible the to the irish public won't be, and shouldn't be, a priority for this or any future government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭McGiver

We could only do that if it was an all island approach, and really if there was a united Ireland. So just leave that there.
    Yes, I know, NI is the issue for so many things. Blocking Ireland from doing many things, this is one of them.

British standards stayed in place after the independence out of momentum and dependence on the UK market for imports and exports. But later it was just out of comfort (or laziness), should have switched to full metric including LHD in 90s latest.

Ieeland should go full metric and EU standards. It's almost done and there are few areas like LHD which still can be addressed. Then 3pin sockets. Just not practical to keep British arbitrary standards if the whole Europe is using something else.
    Especially important as Ireland has reduced reliance on the UK (exports) or is reducing it (imports).

ELM327 wrote:
    You don't need to convert, it is perfectly legal and safe to drive LHD here. I have done for several cars as a fan of US cars. I had even an LHD kuwaiti rolls royce!
    How is it driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

User1998 wrote: »
    And what happens when you get to a toll boot, drive thru, or car park ticket machine

Toll tag negates the first one
    I hate drive throughs so dont use them
    Car parks etc would be the only hassle. If travelling alone of course it's a problem, but you just get out and walk around. If you have a front seat passenger of course its a non issue.

McGiver wrote: »
    How is it driving?
    The car or in general? The car is long since sold but driving LHD is no issue. Most of our driving is on motorways and you dont need to be on a specific side for that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes, I know, NI is the issue for so many things. Blocking Ireland from doing many things, this is one of them.

British standards stayed in place after the independence out of momentum and dependence on the UK market for imports and exports. But later it was just out of comfort (or laziness), should have switched to full metric including LHD in 90s latest.

Ieeland should go full metric and EU standards. It's almost done and there are few areas like LHD which still can be addressed. Then 3pin sockets. Just not practical to keep British arbitrary standards if the whole Europe is using something else.
    Especially important as Ireland has reduced reliance on the UK (exports) or is reducing it (imports).

Something I discovered about 10 years ago - Ireland has imperial plumbing (half inch pipes) but the UK (inc NI) use metric (15 mm pipe). I was surprised but it explained why plumbers said that one should never buy plumbing parts from B&Q.

On the other hand, milk in Ireland is fully metric, while the UK still uses pints, quarts, etc. For butter, in Ireland, it is illegal to sell butter in other that pound or half pound, but bread must be 800g or 400g or the weight must be on the product.

Now just like the RHD/LHD, the 3 pin plug is a thing that is difficult to change. The EU tried and failed because no-one would agree to use the EU standard except Brazil. [Go figure].

The UK and Ireland were on the road to full metrication, but it suddenly ran out of steam - I do not know why.

The EU member states do not even agree on the layout for the keyboard I am typing on.

Something I discovered about 10 years ago - Ireland has imperial plumbing (half inch pipes) but the UK (inc NI) use metric (15 mm pipe). I was surprised but it explained why plumbers said that one should never buy plumbing parts from B&Q.

On the other hand, milk in Ireland is fully metric, while the UK still uses pints, quarts, etc. For butter, in Ireland, it is illegal to sell butter in other that pound or half pound, but bread must be 800g or 400g or the weight must be on the product.

Now just like the RHD/LHD, the 3 pin plug is a thing that is difficult to change. The EU tried and failed because no-one would agree to use the EU standard except Brazil. [Go figure].

The UK and Ireland were on the road to full metrication, but it suddenly ran out of steam - I do not know why.

The EU member states do not even agree on the layout for the keyboard I am typing on.
    This is a mess! Butter in pounds, that's like a market in the middle ages. :cool:

But you can't say that Ireland shouldn't move the EU standard direction, in general. Away from BSN or other obsolete "imperial" stuff.

No, the EU didn't fail. EU plug standards is almost universally adopted, not perfect but almost there. Denmark and Italy almost there. These two were the largest outliers and had their own standards. It's really only the ex UK colonies who are the odd ones...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is a mess! Butter in pounds, that's like a market in the middle ages. :cool:

But you can't say that Ireland shouldn't move the EU standard direction, in general. Away from BSN or other obsolete "imperial" stuff.

No, the EU didn't fail. EU plug standards is almost universally adopted, not perfect but almost there. Denmark and Italy almost there. These two were the largest outliers and had their own standards. It's really only the ex UK colonies who are the odd ones...

Not true. The EU standard Type N plug was supposed to be introduced but it was rejected by nearly every member. It resembles the Swiss plug. https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/IEC60906-1.html
    Type N is actually based on the international standard 230 V household plug system, called IEC 60906-1. In 1986, the International Electrotechnical Commission published this standard, which was intended to become the common standard for the whole of Europe (and, by extension, all other regions with 230 V mains). Unfortunately, the effort to adopt it as a European Union standard was put on hold in the mid-1990s.

The problem centred around the UK preference for square pins and the European preference for round pins. UK maintained that square pins gave a better contact while the other disagreed. Also the UK wanted a fuse in the plug, while the other thought that was a fire hazard. UK wanted 13A, while the others wanted 16A individually fused. No-one won the argument.

I have about 50 sockets in my house with approx. 50 plugs. The change them all would cost about €10,000 or more, plus rewiring my house which might cost as much again or more.

Butter in pounds is to protect the user from 'shrink inflation' that is so prevalent in many products these days. It also required that less than 90% butter could not be described as butter - hence the 'spreads'

We could move to 250 g or 500 g, but there is no pressure to do so. We see in chocolate, that the makers reduce bar size to counter raising the price above a target price. So bars get smaller and smaller until they are not worth buying. Then they introduce the 'new' 200 g bar at a special price, and so on. Toblerones in Ireland are 360 g but in Switzerland they are still 400 g as they always were. So 100% of the price but only 90% of the chocolate.

The schuko plug is so much better than what we have here.
    Sometimes this country and it's love for the auld enemy really annoys me. We are irish and european, not british.

Not true. The EU standard Type N plug was supposed to be introduced but it was rejected by nearly every member. It resembles the Swiss plug. https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/IEC60906-1.html
    Right, you meant a new standard, not Schuko. That's true. But Schuko is the de facto EU standard!

I have about 50 sockets in my house with approx. 50 plugs. The change them all would cost about €10,000 or more, plus rewiring my house which might cost as much again or more.
    That's a bit of red herring. Denmark have been doing it, gradually. It's not a change from one day to another. Italy also moved slowly, many years ago. Etc.

Where there is a will...

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The schuko plug is so much better than what we have here.
    Sometimes this country and it's love for the auld enemy really annoys me. We are irish and european, not british.
    'Course tis better :cool:
    But generally, I look at it from economies of scale, competition, market choice and standardisation point of view. With the EU Single Market at the doorstep it's just not good for the Irish consumer to follow the UK standards such as 3-pin or the RHD. Harmonisation of these standards with the EU Single Market would mean more options of imports of cars, electronics etc and that brings more choice and lower prices.

PS: Yes, I can attest having lived in both Ireland and the UK and not being native to either that Ireland feels European while the UK is "special" (up to everyone if they add negative, neutral or positive connotation to it).

That's a bit of red herring. Denmark have been doing it, gradually. It's not a change from one day to another. Italy also moved slowly, many years ago. Etc.

Where there is a will...

Well, it is not as simple as changing the plug on the end of the flex.

The basic wiring of the system is different as the UK uses a ring main system, which we sort of do as well. The fuses in the distribution box (consumer unit) are different values as well. The UK system uses fuses in the plug which is a no-no for the European system. So it is not possible to change piecemeal - it just is not. It is dangerous to mess with wires hidden in walls if you did not put them there.

We have an Irish standard for electrical installations, and until that changes, we must stick with it.

Again, like LHD/RHD cars, we must stick with what we have, but changing the plugs would be a lot easier. We used to use the Schucko system because Seimens enabled the Ardnacrusha hydro scheme, but we ended up with grey imports and chaos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭traco

So - anyone brought a car in yet or are ye all imprting LHD hoovers from the continent??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I thought I was in the wrong forum there for a while

Car99 wrote: »
    I thought I was in the wrong forum there for a while

Sorry abut that - drifted off topic.

Do cars from NI remain as before? No VAT or duty or customs declarations - or have I got that wrong?

Sorry abut that - drifted off topic.

Do cars from NI remain as before? No VAT or duty or customs declarations - or have I got that wrong?

It depends on when it was brought I to NI from what I gather. I was talking to NCT crowd the other day and that's the line they're taking. You can appeal to revenue of you reckon you have a case not to pay vat. I haven't heard of any guinea pig yet with covid and brexit there must be nothing coming in.

It depends on when it was brought I to NI from what I gather. I was talking to NCT crowd the other day and that's the line they're taking. You can appeal to revenue of you reckon you have a case not to pay vat. I haven't heard of any guinea pig yet with covid and brexit there must be nothing coming in.

I brought in a car about 18 month in from NI. The rules then were more than six months old and more than 6,000 km on presentation for NCT. I wonder if that is the same as they are in the single market. I cannot see anything on the Revenue site.

I know of one private import from UK to NI. High end car bought on Dec 31. Scheduled delivery was first week in Jan and he got called by the transport company looking for customs declarations.

Had to jump through some paperwork hoops and had to get an EORI number for himself but care cleared in to NI with no addtional taxes. So to teh best of my knoweldge that car is legally an NI car now.

So if someone can find one taht ahs been through a similar process and bring it in here we would have something solid to go on.

traco wrote: »
    I know of one private import from UK to NI. High end car bought on Dec 31. Scheduled delivery was first week in Jan and he got called by the transport company looking for customs declarations.

Had to jump through some paperwork hoops and had to get an EORI number for himself but care cleared in to NI with no addtional taxes. So to teh best of my knoweldge that car is legally an NI car now.

So if someone can find one taht ahs been through a similar process and bring it in here we would have something solid to go on.

Can you borrow it and present it for clearing then renege at last minute saying it's too expensive I'll take it back to the north. Then we would know .

Edit; I better add I'm joking before I get lambasted by the more pedantic serious members of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Hi
    I'm confused as most people now when importing car.
    My thing is: I want to buy a car from dealer in Newry, I asked dealer about:
    Proof that vehicles were properly imported into Northern Ireland will be required for vehicles first registered in Great Britain and subsequently registered in NI after 1 January 2021
    Proof will be in the form of:
    a copy of the customs declaration showing the importation of the vehicle into Northern Ireland
    or
    a T2L document issued by HMRC.

I got quick replay
    Yes this car has been registered with Dealer Name for a while now and we can provide proof.
    We do the transfer to the South regularly.

So after getting the car to Ireland what do I have to do next before presenting it for VRT(after making an appointment).
    I don't know what the "proof" will be but what forms do i have to fill then and do i have to still fill any forms for zero duty/customs?
    Last time when I was buying a car i just filled this form https://www.ncts.ie/media/1003/vrtformfinal-version.pdf and presented it with V5C
    Do i need to do more - I read revenue and other wwws whole morning and just can't find a clear information what to do - step by step.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm confused as most people now when importing car.
    My thing is: I want to buy a car from dealer in Newry, I asked dealer about:

I got quick replay

So after getting the car to Ireland what do I have to do next before presenting it for VRT(after making an appointment).
    I don't know what the "proof" will be but what forms do i have to fill then and do i have to still fill any forms for zero duty/customs?
    Last time when I was buying a car i just filled this form https://www.ncts.ie/media/1003/vrtformfinal-version.pdf and presented it with V5C
    Do i need to do more - I read revenue and other wwws whole morning and just can't find a clear information what to do - step by step.

Prior to doing a deal I would ask the dealer to send you the proof the car has been in NI before Jan 01 2021. I'm not sure what evidence he can provide to satisfy revenue as no guidance has been published on docs required by revenue. Maybe he has shipping invoice from a car transport company and an invoice from an auction house in the uk dated pre 2021.
    It's a 30% of purchase price gamble as to whether Revenue accept what he gives you or not. Is it worth the risk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The required documents are published. They’re even quoted in the post

The required documents are published. They’re even quoted in the post

I missed that bit about what documents to prove a cars been in NI before 2021, what are they?

Can you borrow it and present it for clearing then renege at last minute saying it's too expensive I'll take it back to the north. Then we would know .

Edit; I better add I'm joking before I get lambasted by the more pedantic serious members of the forum.

I'd love to. Oddly its on the VRT site and showing VRT of 33.6k and a current market value of 90k. Throw vat and duty into that equation if it was applied and I suppose it could be another 30k on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Prior to doing a deal I would ask the dealer to send you the proof the car has been in NI before Jan 01 2021. I'm not sure what evidence he can provide to satisfy revenue as no guidance has been published on docs required by revenue. Maybe he has shipping invoice from a car transport company and an invoice from an auction house in the uk dated pre 2021.
    It's a 30% of purchase price gamble as to whether Revenue accept what he gives you or not. Is it worth the risk ?

Agree a price. Get him to VRT the car in Dundalk for you. No point you buying it and then being left with a massive bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

bs2014 wrote: »
    Agree a price. Get him to VRT the car in Dundalk for you. No point you buying it and then being left with a massive bill

I asked about it(vrt itself but might ask them about going to Dundalk). They don't do vrt's for customers. It's Kia dealer so i assume they wouldn't do any tricks while importing cars from GB to NI and then selling them to ROI.
    I can give back the car within 14 days with them if something would go wrong.

loki7777 wrote: »
    I asked about it(vrt itself but might ask them about going to Dundalk). They don't do vrt's for customers. It's Kia dealer so i assume they wouldn't do any tricks while importing cars from GB to NI and then selling them to ROI.
    I can give back the car within 14 days with them if something would go wrong.

Since you have 14 days to return the car book an NCT vrt inspection date then get the car delivered to you close to the vrt inspection date. If revenue want to charge VAT and import duty tell them your sending the car back to the dealer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭S'

Hi,
    I am looking to import a used car that is over 6 months old and over 6,000kms.
    The car in the UK is “vat qualifying”. I am Vat registered in Ireland.
    Does that mean I can purchase the car without Uk VAT and once imported pay Irish VAT, VRT & nox? Trying to figure out is it worth the tome and effort.

Yes, anyone from Ireland can purchase a vat qualifying car from the UK and pay zero uk vat.

Also don’t forget there is 10% customs as well as vat to be paid over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭S'

Yes, anyone from Ireland can purchase a vat qualifying car from the UK and pay zero uk vat.

Also don’t forget there is 10% customs as well as vat to be paid over here

So there’s no difference between a VAT registered business and a private buyer?

• Advertisement

No, anyone permanently exporting a vat qualifying car from the uk can claim the uk vat back or not pay it at all as long as they pay vat in the country they are registering it

And as a side note I don’t think the vat you pay in Ireland is reclaimable even if your vat registered. I don’t think vat on private vehicles can be reclaimed but I’m open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I have a strong suspicion that cheese and butter were deliberately made different (butter is 454g in ROI and 500g in UK) to reduce butter smuggling in the last 1970s.

I have a strong suspicion that cheese and butter were deliberately made different (butter is 454g in ROI and 500g in UK) to reduce butter smuggling in the last 1970s.

No, the 1 lb was to stop shrinkflation - though that term did not exist then. Butter was not sold loose, and they wanted to prevent grocers from slicing a bit off. The UK used half pound blocks - they did not use grams or Kilograms in the 1970s. Just look at any butter dish from the UK - they are designed for half pound blocks. Another restriction - I am not sure whether it still is in force - is that ice cream must have a minimum dairy fat content - again to protect the dairy industry.

The butter smuggling arose because butter prices were subsidised in the UK as a consequence of imported NZ butter. The UK had a cheap food policy until the CAP came into effect.

No, the 1 lb was to stop shrinkflation - though that term did not exist then. Butter was not sold loose, and they wanted to prevent grocers from slicing a bit off. The UK used half pound blocks - they did not use grams or Kilograms in the 1970s. Just look at any butter dish from the UK - they are designed for half pound blocks. Another restriction - I am not sure whether it still is in force - is that ice cream must have a minimum dairy fat content - again to protect the dairy industry.

The butter smuggling arose because butter prices were subsidised in the UK as a consequence of imported NZ butter. The UK had a cheap food policy until the CAP came into effect.

Sam , you boys are getting side tracked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ireland should switch to LHD. End of story. Start campaigning :)

Sweden could pull it off 60 years ago.

60 years ago when traffic levels were maybe 1/10th of what they are today. Its never going to happen now as they've left it too late. The carnage on the roads if they were to switch to driving on the right in RHD cars would ensure it would fail immediately and pre-empting it and switching to LHD cars before making the switch would result in equal carnage and that's before you even start to consider the costs and re-engineering of roads, junctions that would be needed before anything could be done.

60 years ago when traffic levels were maybe 1/10th of what they are today. Its never going to happen now as they've left it too late. The carnage on the roads if they were to switch to driving on the right in RHD cars would ensure it would fail immediately and pre-empting it and switching to LHD cars before making the switch would result in equal carnage and that's before you even start to consider the costs and re-engineering of roads, junctions that would be needed before anything could be done.

There is the old joke about the two old fellas in the pub - one tells the other he is heading over to France for a holiday in his car. The second guy says - 'I wouldn't do that if I were you, they drive on the other side of the road. It is very dangerous.' First guy - 'Do they, didn't know that.'

Anyway, next day, the two meet and the second fella says to the first - 'I cancelled my trip to France. You are right about driving on the right, I tried it on the way home, It is bloody dangerous as I nearly got killed a few times.'

Some of the old jokes are the best. The oldest one is that we should change to driving on the RHS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is current duty rate on cars from Japan ?

What is current duty rate on cars from Japan ?

10% import tax and VAT same as the UK. Exchange rate isnt great though.

And now we have motorways which makes it way more expensive to change with slip roads on junctions needing lengthening or completely redesigning if they are asymmetric.
    Also most buses would need modifying unless you want to dump passengers out into the traffic.

10% import tax and VAT same as the UK. Exchange rate isnt great though.

But didn't EU and Japan do a trade deal?? That was in Feb 19, and on the day it was signed duty dropped to 9.2% for vehicles, and it was suppose to drop yearly thereafter, until it reached zero, so how the hell can the Irish revenue be charging people 10%.

There should be a huge investigation into the Irish Customs and the way they charge people, it's basically a ransom. In reality, and we all know it's true, the Irish Customs have ripped off Irish businesses to the tune of billions over the last 20 years.
    They go with the DREAMER OF THE YEAR price to calculate duty due on items that cost very little. This is the ultimate con.
    Prime Time need to investigate their practices. Reality is irish businesses are owed billions through getting over charged by customs .

• Advertisement

But didn't EU and Japan do a trade deal?? That was in Feb 19, and on the day it was signed duty dropped to 9.2% for vehicles, and it was suppose to drop yearly thereafter, until it reached zero, so how the hell can the Irish revenue be charging people 10%.

There should be a huge investigation into the Irish Customs and the way they charge people, it's basically a ransom. In reality, and we all know it's true, the Irish Customs have ripped off Irish businesses to the tune of billions over the last 20 years.
    They go with the DREAMER OF THE YEAR price to calculate duty due on items that cost very little. This is the ultimate con.
    Prime Time need to investigate their practices. Reality is irish businesses are owed billions through getting over charged by customs .

No they don’t. Duty and vat are based on the purchase price so they can’t pull any fast ones there. And the OMSP they set for VRT valuations is usually fair and a lot of the time they under estimate how valuable a car is. The problem is the Irish government who set the VRT percentages and Nox charges, those are ridiculous but they are out of Revenue/Customs control

No they don’t. Duty and vat are based on the purchase price so they can’t pull any fast ones there. And the OMSP they set for VRT valuations is usually fair and a lot of the time they under estimate how valuable a car is. The problem is the Irish government who set the VRT percentages and Nox charges, those are ridiculous but they are out of Revenue/Customs control

bull,

everyone receiving a parcel with a clear receipt of what they paid are having customs come up with their own value, DREAMER VALUE and then charging the person far more than they should,

Imports from Japan don't have any duty if they land in the EU, I thought that was the deal that was done?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Imports from Japan don't have any duty if they land in the EU, I thought that was the deal that was done?

We are in EU
    It was duty free deal on a lot of items, but vehicles was going to be made zero over a certain amount of years. But in feb 19 when deal was done I'm sure it dropped to 9.2% for vehicles, and was to drop yearly, here we are in 2021 and people on here say Ireland is still charging people 10%.
    Irish revenue has ripped people off in over charges for years, when the banks are caught doing it they are fined and have to pay back those ripped off, but NO one is regulating the custom charges.

We are in EU
    It was duty free deal on a lot of items, but vehicles was going to be made zero over a certain amount of years. But in feb 19 when deal was done I'm sure it dropped to 9.2% for vehicles, and was to drop yearly, here we are in 2021 and people on here say Ireland is still charging people 10%.
    Irish revenue has ripped people off in over charges for years, when the banks are caught doing it they are fined and have to pay back those ripped off, but NO one is regulating the custom charges.
    That was my point.

Also, imo VRT is nonsense - it is completely against the spirit of the free market.

bull,

everyone receiving a parcel with a clear receipt of what they paid are having customs come up with their own value, DREAMER VALUE and then charging the person far more than they should,

Ah give over your talking sh*te. Only happens when the seller declares the item value to be more than what it sold for

Ah give over your talking sh*te. Only happens when the seller declares the item value to be more than what it sold for

Should read through the various threads on this. People getting parcels, only paid 30 for item, customs tell them it's worth 150, demand duty based on that. All because some corrupt custom agent can look up some DREAMER selling a Mars Bar for 1000 pound, so he'll go off that price.

Should read through the various threads on this. People getting parcels, only paid 30 for item, customs tell them it's worth 150, demand duty based on that. All because some corrupt custom agent can look up some DREAMER selling a Mars Bar for 1000 pound, so he'll go off that price.

Chinese sellers were quite often (always) putting ridiculous pricing on customs declarations, and they were always ignored by customs. Quite often the declaration was 'GIFT'.

Have you come across parcels coming from GB since the 1st of Jan 2021 being subject to 'ridiculous' valuations? Valuations are the function of the inspecting customs officer in the first instance. It is possible to dispute the valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

Probably done to death but I can't see anything concrete stated in this thread (either experiences on import or specific knowledge from revenue). From the latest guidance I could find on Private Buyer from UK (VAT Registered) trader that I could see, at this link, my understanding would be that I could buy from UK dealer (a VAT registered one) and import paying VRT (CO2/Nox) as normal. Any expert knowledge out there that can clarify why I'm (likely) wrong?

10.1 Purchase of second-hand vehicles by a private individual from a
    person in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a VAT-registered
    trader, including a motor dealer, in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a motor dealer or
    any VAT-registered trader in another country, the price will generally include any
    VAT or other tax chargeable in that country. This VAT cannot be reclaimed. There is
    no VAT liability in Ireland. In respect of VRT, the owner of the vehicle must make a
    booking with an NCTS Centre within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and
    registration must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State. The
    VRT liability can be calculated using the VRT Calculator on the Revenue website.

• Advertisement

robodonkey wrote: »
    Probably done to death but I can't see anything concrete stated in this thread (either experiences on import or specific knowledge from revenue). From the latest guidance I could find on Private Buyer from UK (VAT Registered) trader that I could see, at this link, my understanding would be that I could buy from UK dealer (a VAT registered one) and import paying VRT (CO2/Nox) as normal. Any expert knowledge out there that can clarify why I'm (likely) wrong?

10.1 Purchase of second-hand vehicles by a private individual from a
    person in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a VAT-registered
    trader, including a motor dealer, in another country
    Where a private individual purchases a second-hand vehicle from a motor dealer or
    any VAT-registered trader in another country, the price will generally include any
    VAT or other tax chargeable in that country. This VAT cannot be reclaimed. There is
    no VAT liability in Ireland. In respect of VRT, the owner of the vehicle must make a
    booking with an NCTS Centre within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State and
    registration must be completed within 30 days of the vehicle entering the State. The
    VRT liability can be calculated using the VRT Calculator on the Revenue website.

Where does that quote come from, and what date was it last changed? Is it post Jan 2021?

Advertisement