Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raised bed options

• 29-11-2020 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I need a loft bed for a single mattress but no longer than 198 cm and can’t find one anywhere. The option of just raising the current single bed off the ground has been discussed. It will fit into an alcove 1m deep and will have plasterboard walls on 3 sides that it can be fixed to. I need about 150cm of head height under the bed. So, if the bed legs are set into cutouts in long posts, 4x4 inch or so, braced horizontally, and attached to the wall studs, does this sound safe?

I’ll need some sort of bed rail on the side of the bed of course and some way of getting into the bed!

Or maybe point me towards a loft bed no longer than 198cm!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends quite a lot on the style of the bed you have that you are lifting. If it is just a simple divan base (would a divan base fit into that space?) don't think in terms of lengthening the legs, take the legs off and support the base on a framework fitted into the recess. You don't need anything like 4x4s, 2x3 would do fine, or even 2x2. I remade a bed base to be higher and support a substantial adult by using 6x 2x2 legs and it was absolutely sound.

Can you put up a pic of the bed in question? Don't think in terms of lifting the bed, think of making a frame and putting the essential bit of the frame and mattress on it. A sheet of 18ml ply with holes drilled in it for ventilation, (or lighter if lying on more supports) set on a supporting structure would be the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks, your idea sounds better, and I think it’s what I probably meant, but phrased badly. I’ll take a photo tomorrow but the bed is a simple solid wooden frame from IKEA. I can cut off the existing legs and then I’ll just have a flat frame to sit on whatever support is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Looksee is on the money here 100%

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement