Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Tyre?

Options
  • 29-11-2020 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭

I am having a few punctures on the back, thread is not bald but maybe it's time I just stuck a couple of tyres on the bike.

Felt Z6 Carbon Fibre, its just like this one, would love to get something with the orange again as it looks cool but can't find any!

NGQyNTE3MTIxNTk0NTFiNmQ0OTBmYzc5ZmVjZjY3NDHjhuoIs8iinpQzTqbGKz9GaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNDQyYzk0OGM4YWM4MjhjMTc1ZDBkY2M1ZmRkYmIyMjRjNzY5N2JhODQwNTdjYjhkNDk3NmQ0NmY4ZTY5NTU5My5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Want to get something with a half decent bit of grip, that is not going to drag (not that I speed like Sam or anything) and some sort or puncture resistance.

Mainly cycle dublin suburbs, phoenix park, must try the hills again soon.

Anyway, was thinking about Gatorskins, but not sure which one to get as there seems like a few variations.

The 5000 seem to get poor reviews?

Has anyone any thoughts or recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gators in winter come with a free ticket to St James'. Don't.

Speccy Armadillos are pretty much invulnerable if a tiny bit slow, personally the lost watts are worth it for not crouching in a ditch doing repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

what tubes do you get?
    cheapo or splash out and go expensive?

ED E wrote: »
    Speccy Armadillos

any link? can't find em

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-All-Condition-Armadillo-Elite-II-Road-Tyre_70771.htm

Tredz are a Halfords subsidiary in Wales.

Last set of tubes I got were Specialized on discount, box of 20 lasted a long while. Normally get basic enough ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seve OB wrote: »
    what tubes do you get?
    cheapo or splash out and go expensive?

Cheap ones are grand, very little differece till you get i to the plastic or latex tube price range.

Armadillos are good, not the best, but good. If you found any old gp4000 2 stock, nab them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Id recommend the Grand Prix 4-Seasons
    https://www.bike24.com/p2428.html

Grippy and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you found any old gp4000 2 stock, nab them.

Is the 5000s not as good as the 4000s? I've always sworn by the 4000s and would have automatically just bought what I perceived as the newer version of the same tyre.

Is the 5000s not as good as the 4000s? I've always sworn by the 4000s and would have automatically just bought what I perceived as the newer version of the same tyre.

Not from any reviews I’ve seen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Used to run GP4000's, now run 5000's. They're even better. Roll faster, better grip. Would recommend.

OP if you don't want to splash out the Vittoria Rubino Pros are a good alternative, they come in colours too from what I remember. I used to run them and race on them.

eeeee wrote: »
    Used to run GP4000's, now run 5000's. They're even better. Roll faster, better grip. Would recommend.

OP if you don't want to splash out the Vittoria Rubino Pros are a good alternative, they come in colours too from what I remember. I used to run them and race on them.

No 5000s are in budget. You really think they are better than the 4000? Most reviews say opposite

• Advertisement

Not from any reviews I’ve seen

No 5000s are in budget. You really think they are better than the 4000? Most reviews say opposite

They are faster and grippier. They are not as puncture proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

5000s are a race tyre and an improvement on 4000s. The fact that many cyclists used 4Ks to commute on isn't the point.

If you're out on this Felt year round, and/or in particularly nasty weather and road surfaces I would skip the 5Ks and look for something like the GP 4 seasons - a really terrific allround tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

+1 to this. I went from 4000’s to 5000’s and haven’t noticed any difference in wear or durability but I do only have a few hundred km on them. They definitely roll and grip better.

I think Michelin also do some funky colours too. Think the Endurance Pro4 is the tougher tire if memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Every time I see coloured tyres on a bike I'm thankful that people don't extend the same rationale to their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2 is worth a look. Decent weight, no issues with grip and reasonable resistant for a standard tyre. In my experience it's less prone at getting cuts and gashes so less risk of glass working it's way in over time leading to a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Plastik wrote: »
    Every time I see coloured tyres on a bike I'm thankful that people don't extend the same rationale to their cars.
    They would if they were readily available. I like coloured tyres on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My own thoughts on GP4000 - roll beautifully, good grip but absolutely no puncture resistance with those paper thin sidewalls.

I wouldn't ask if GP5000 are as good as GP4000 - I'd ask if they are as bad as GP4000.

They would if they were readily available. I like coloured tyres on bikes.

yes I agree, they can look good on a bike and i think they look good on mine! but anyway, id rather go for quality over looks.

going to research the few options mentioned, thanks folks.

Looks like chain reaction have little to no stock....... of anything!!! :(

My own thoughts on GP4000 - roll beautifully, good grip but absolutely no puncture resistance with those paper thin sidewalls.

I wouldn't ask if GP5000 are as good as GP4000 - I'd ask if they are as bad as GP4000.

Really, bar a bad batch mine would last a few 1000km before the punctures start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

I fitted Vittoria Rubino Pro endurance tyres in sized 23c a few weeks ago and I haven't had any problems with them cycling 6 days a week in all sorts of crappy wet roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If after something different try these tyres.

https://velox.fr/en/road-clinchers/239-607-calibra-plus.html

I've used these almost exclusively fir 5 years now & find them extremely good. I can count on one hand the punctures these have had over this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Check my threads. I gave away a nearly new pair of gp 5000s as they had awful puncture protection. They roll well and are fast but 2 punctures in a month was enough for me.

The 4 seasons are more durable, they can go on light gravel and are just as comfortable and fast so I have a pair of them on now. Much better tyre. And I do all types of cycling, hills, commuting, flats etc 6 days a week.

Plastik wrote: »

Got a deal on some contis, £8/tyre, but they're green rimmed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have 5000's on my winter bike! Why? Because I couldn't get 4000's! Great tyre. (I'll probably get a puncture tomorrow! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

ED E wrote: »
    Got a deal on some contis, £8/tyre, but they're green rimmed :pac:

Now I need to know where you can buy continental tyres for €8/£8??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Now I need to know where you can buy continental tyres for €8/£8??

Ultrasports? I use them on my commuter. I find them super reliable, but I pump them every 3 days to keep them at the right pressure.

Advertisement