Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wait for new wheels?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

so have a giant defy with pr2 wheels they are heavy, i live in Donegal and there are lots of hills so im thinking of getting more lightweight wheels for climbing, i wont ever be racing except against my self, do i wait till winter is over to get them or spring?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what would be the thinking behind waiting? to spare the new wheels the winter roads?
    if so, that leads to the question - are they rim brake or disc brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

what would be the thinking behind waiting? to spare the new wheels the winter roads?
    if so, that leads to the question - are they rim brake or disc brake?
    Yes that's my thinking I'm my head, but don't know if it's the right way to look at it , I'm looking at hunt 33's disc brake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they're disc, you don't have to worry so much; there's less concern about winter crud causing wear on the braking surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you're in no particular rush then just do your research, have the money to hand and then be ready to pounce when you see a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

fat bloke wrote: »
    If you're in no particular rush then just do your research, have the money to hand and then be ready to pounce when you see a bargain.

There’s a bargain on 60mm carbon disc wheels on pbk at the minute, I think €800 , ffwd wheels, at work now so can’t find them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Found it- hunts are great value, but IMO, for this price, I’d be all over these.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-wheels/fast-forward-f6-dt350-disc-brake-clincher-wheelset/12190891.html

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

They're cheaper on the official page and postage is free. I went for the 45s, a bit lighter at 1520g. I've been warned that it'll take a couple of weeks to post them out due to high demand at the moment.

https://www.ffwdwheels.com/wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

puddles22 wrote: »
    ... do i wait till winter is over to get them or spring?
    You know the old adage about getting more bang for your buck - buy winter stuff in summer, buy summer stuff in winter.

(I'd probably wait until January - there might be some sales bargains).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have the same bike with the same wheels. I went for hunt 33 aeros and they are fantastic, 1345g for the set. The minute you pick the bike up you'd notice the difference in the weight. the bike is far more balanced too, very light and responsive.

I got new rotors and a cassette for the new wheels and kept the old wheels for commuting. Just swap them around so it's like having 2 bikes. Pr2s are dog **** compared to the carbons. The hunts make the bike about 3 times more comfortable. It floats along the road. We'll worth it if you have it. 3 year warranty and for 67 extra you can pay a lifetime crash warranty.

Advertisement