Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart bulb set-up

• 30-11-2020 7:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query if anyone can help me please.

I’m planning to install 2 wall lights outside, power coming from the existing light socket in the porch. All powered by 1 light switch in the hall.

Will put the dawn to dusk bulbs in the outdoor lights. However, I don’t want to porch light to be lighting at all times.

Question is, if I put a smart bulb into the porch socket and turn that light off, will my outdoor bulbs go off aswell? Will electricity keep flowing to those lights or will the smart bulb being off break the circuit?

Apologizes if this has already been asked before, just a thought that came into my head at 6am :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

van_beano wrote: »
    Just a quick query if anyone can help me please.

I’m planning to install 2 wall lights outside, power coming from the existing light socket in the porch. All powered by 1 light switch in the hall.

Will put the dawn to dusk bulbs in the outdoor lights. However, I don’t want to porch light to be lighting at all times.

Question is, if I put a smart bulb into the porch socket and turn that light off, will my outdoor bulbs go off aswell? Will electricity keep flowing to those lights or will the smart bulb being off break the circuit?

Apologizes if this has already been asked before, just a thought that came into my head at 6am :)

There's no switch in a smart bulb that kills the power further down the circuit. The idea is the smart bulb is powered all the time, and the processor inside it decides whether the light should be illuminated or not. But that processor needs power all the time so it can receive messages to switch the illumination on/off.

In your proposed set up as long as you leave your hall switch powered on all the time, everything will work - but you now have to use whatever app/controller that will be required to switch your porch light on/off. you can no longer use the switch (well you can but it will obviously kill your outside lights too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

That’s perfect, JM. Just the answer I was looking for. It makes sense for it to work that way but just wasn’t 100 per cent sure if smart-turning-off the bulb stopped the current from reaching other bulbs on the same switch.

Thanks for your reply.

Advertisement