Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The cheapest SIM to answer calls

• 30-11-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭

I'm getting a watch with SIM card for my kid and I'm looking for the cheapest top up card out there. I don't need any bundles, all i need is the ability to answer a call. I have no experience with pay as you go cards, do I need to top up every month to keep it active? If so which card is the cheapest to keep it running?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Three PAYG SIM stays active for years without top up.

Three will probably require initial top up with the SIM, not sure of the exact details but it'll be either 10e or 15e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Three PAYG SIM stays active for years without top up.

Three are bringing in credit expiry for all prepay plans from tomorrow :(

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

As i take it, credit will expire but card will remain active. I'm fine with that.

Three are bringing in credit expiry for all prepay plans from tomorrow :(

https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/2

That's credit expiry, the SIM remains active.

Open to correction but that change seems like an improvement on the current terms that stipulate that credit expires after 180 days even if topped up before then...the new terms indicate that another top up will save existing credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That's credit expiry, the SIM remains active.

Looking at the latest T&Cs there needs to be chargeable use or a topup every 12 months to keep the account active (see 7.3/7.4 here)

Compared to the old plans, you just needed a chargeable event to occur every six months to keep it active and didn't need regular topups. I've got a backup phone on a Three legacy plan and I've had the same credit on there for years but the T&C change from tomorrow will put an end to that in six months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

With 48, you can top up by as little as €1, and you get €8 free credit when you use a referral link

Wonder what Three's minimum top up amount is when using Text Top Up with a saved card...
    https://notifications.three.ie/sms-codes/topup/

Advertisement