Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes & Brexit

• 30-11-2020 11:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭

Shock and Horror, Potato imports to be hit by Brexit, Chip prices to go through the roof, shortages expected.

Yes, the world has officially gone mad, Morning Ireland, shocked the nation this morning (well those listening) that Potato shortages anticipated due to Brexit and prices to Rise dramatically. Seems, Ireland imports most of the potato"s used for making Crisps & Chips. Who knew that???

I predict the signs will be up by weeks end at every takeaway in the land.

* Bags of Chips, only one per 2 customers

* Due to Price Increases, Chip prices increasing.

* Due to Shortages, Chips can only be click & Collect.

Live line anticipating a flood of calls today :) and probably all F******** week!!!!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must admit I didnt know Italian chippers are importing British potatoes, theres a kind of irony in that. What spud are they using, golden wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Must admit I didnt know Italian chippers are importing British potatoes, theres a kind of irony in that. What spud are they using, golden wonder?

Quite extraordinary, I'm also surprised at Crisp Manufacturers also importing albeit I know some well known premium brands say they grow their own.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

endacl wrote: »
    Potato.

Potaado

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »

Maris pipers. Which don't grow particularly well here, albeit they can be.

The main potato varieties we grow here are either more suited for boiling or mashing or arguably aren't suited for anything but we use them anyway (roosters!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Seems, Ireland imports most of the potato"s used for making Crisps & Chips. Who knew that???
    There have been a few old threads mentioning this.

I reckon they will just change variety rather than jack up prices hugely, many already think they are too expensive.

Romayos are a big chain use Irish potatoes and I love their chips, so decent ones can be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If all the other problems with Brexit weren't enough, now I have to deal with floury Irish potatoes falling to bits when I boil them as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

L1011 wrote: »
    Maris pipers. Which don't grow particularly well here, albeit they can be.

The main potato varieties we grow here are either more suited for boiling or mashing or arguably aren't suited for anything but we use them anyway (roosters!)

Found this article from 2004:
    Chris Hughes, area manager of the Burdock's chain of fish and chip shops, explained: "Most chip shops import from England because our own potatoes don't taste as good when made into chips. They also take on a burnt colour too quickly into cooking."

"Maris Piper is the only variety to use in this business and we don't have the climate here to produce good Maris Pipers here. The ground is too damp. It's a funny situation, seeing as the Irish are always associated with the potato, yet we have to buy in from the UK," he said.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-potato-growers-lose-out-as-chippers-buy-uk-spuds-26219210.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the ban on such non EU imports a new thing? I recall getting Cyprus potatoes long before they joined the EU in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarite wrote: »

I have a bag of Irish grown Maris Pipers in the kitchen right now, they are growable here but presumably dearer due to yield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is the ban on such non EU imports a new thing? I recall getting Cyprus potatoes long before they joined the EU in 2004.

I think we get Egyptian potatoes and veg from all over the globe, too.

Thing is, after a no-deal Brexit the UK potatoes could become more expensive than they were before. Markets don't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Seems, Ireland imports most of the potato"s used for making Crisps & Chips. Who knew that???
    I didn't think crisps would be an issue.

And I also thought the chips would just be "Italian chipper chips". Tesco finest frozen chips use UK grown Maris Pipers but I think that is rare to have maris pipers in frozen chips, which most other "non-chipper" takeaways would use.

Taytos website says
    https://www.taytosnacks.ie/page/faqs.html
    Most of our potatoes are sourced locally from Co. Meath and Co. Dublin potato growers. Saturna, Lady Clare and Rosetta are the varieties predominantly used.

Walkers in the UK say
    Our main varieties include Lady Rosetta, Hermes, Saturna, Shelford, Brooke & Arsenal

article on the situation here

https://www.newstalk.com/news/could-brexit-impact-the-taste-and-supply-of-irish-chipper-chips-1114866?fbclid=IwAR0ItWM2EP7GPwLa9dd2HmPiEQZj1haIPWNs5swXUzzhcbnDFqBtP108bHg

Advertisement