Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I reread a lot of the 5k TT thread last night and it really was entertaining, and reminded me of the excitement that was about the place that weekend as everyone seemed to get involved. Gonna try remind myself of contenders for the other categories (although I have to agree with the mentions of Murph_D's race report above also).
    How new does newcomer have to be?? Just have a few in mind but some actually started logs in 2019...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ReeReeG wrote: »
    How new does newcomer have to be?? Just have a few in mind but some actually started logs in 2019...

Someone who’s new to the forum, say in past 12-15 months.

Reminder folks, votes via PM please. Nothing mentioned here will be considered for final totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

ariana` wrote: »
    Good on yeah B taking this on, you're some man for punishment :p

I haven't been very involved lately but that 5k thread was the closest I got to race excitement this year so that would have to get my vote for race of the year.

Murph_D is the log and race report of the year for me. I've enjoyed his log all year from the first lockdown and his shenanigans in the hills of Donegal, right through the marathon journey with the rollercoaster of trying to plan a marathon when all around you is falling apart!

I think Laineyfrecks deserves an award for her unfaltering happiness and pure joy of running throughout a pandemic (and not to mention putting up with stick from you lot :D)

Yes Murph_D will be my vote for race report of the year for his epic virtual marathon report:)

Wouldn't exactly say I was happy all the time but the consistency of the running defo helped!

I do agree I put up with a LOT of stick on here;)

OOnegative wrote: »
    Someone who’s new to the forum, say in past 12-15 months.

Reminder folks, votes via PM please. Nothing mentioned here will be considered for final totals.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote: »
    (and not to mention putting up with stick from you lot :D)

I think you mean "encouragement"...

• Advertisement

I think you mean "encouragement"...

And don't I just love the "encouragement" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey Barry, I’m a bit confused. Are you looking for nominations by Dec 20 or actual votes? Traditionally those were separate stages, narrowing down the potential options for everyone to vote on. Your thread, your rules of course.

I appreciate the above Race Report comments. My own favourite this year was Chivito’s National Masters effort. Not a poster I always see eye to eye with but credit where it’s due - a compelling account of the white heat of the track, and the agony of coming away with the wrong result, something we can all identify with.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hey Barry, I’m a bit confused. Are you looking for nominations by Dec 20 or actual votes? Traditionally those were separate stages, narrowing down the potential options for everyone to vote on. Your thread, your rules of course.

I want votes via PM by 20th D for results. The reason I’m leaving it open so long is last year voting was very poor. I’m hoping more votes will come in with more time to do it.

Few candidates for Comeback Runner:

TbL
    Duanington
    Swashbuckler
    adrian522

All have comeback from fairly decent injuries or ailments and deserve recognition for perseverance and dedication to a pastime.

• Advertisement

TbL
    Duanington
    Swashbuckler

All have comeback from fairly decent injuries or ailments and deserve recognition for perseverance and dedication to a pastime.

Hey while we're on the subject how bout that class 29.18 5M TT a few weeks back from Swashbuckler. Performance of the year? Maybe... Or even the 5.08 1M TT........

Hey while we're on the subject how bout that class 29.18 5M TT a few weeks back from Swashbuckler. Performance of the year? Maybe... Or even the 5.08 1M TT........

She’d only take the award off you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

TbL
    Duanington
    Swashbuckler
    adrian522

How does one make this illustrious list? :o:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

healy1835 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this, some good options there considering we didn't really have any races after Fevbruary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

You could make my list. €€€€ ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think Bribery works better than flattery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

crisco10 wrote: »
    You could make my list. €€€€ ?

Pitched one in for you already actually ;)

You were rowing like Matthew Pinsent though.......

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think Bribery works better than flattery.

No flattery all day for me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Pitched one in for you already actually ;)

Yeh some performance that half with the buggy. Comic Book guy and Murph_D virtual marathons some other nominations here to name just a few.

Dubh G sub 5 miler was this year wasn't it?
    Lambay Islands sub 17 5k
    Laineyfrecks sub 6 miler and 1.35 HM
    Murphs virtual marathon

Just a few that jump to mind right now

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058001088/19

If a post warmed Sweatlicker’s heart it had to be good....... cough, cough, cough!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭MY BAD

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Newcomer of the Year.
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    8. Post of the Year.
    9. Comeback Runner of the Year.
    10. Performance of the Year.
    1. To be fair there are lots of very positive and informative posters here up contribute regularly. Murph_D, Healy, Swashbuckler, yourself, skyblue46, Laineyfrecks, Ceepo, AMK plenty more

2. It's all in the try is probably my favourite

3. The boards 5km TT

4. Not sure

5. Lambay island

6. Murph_D marathon

7. Raheney 5mile or Day of the PBs

8. Not sure about this one

9. Can't think of anyone but I'm hoping for a nomination next year.

10. Anyone who got a "PB" in a marathon time trial should be included here. Lambay island and Comic Book Guy stand out I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

1. Poster of the Year.
    2. Log of the Year.
    3. Thread of the Year.
    4. Newcomer of the Year.
    5. Most Improved Runner of the Year.
    6. Race Report of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    7. Race of the Year(Real or Virtual).
    8. Post of the Year.
    9. Comeback Runner of the Year.
    10. Performance of the Year.

My thoughts....not my votes ;)

1. OONegative....yeah it's for volume over quality I suppose :)

2. No thoughts on this. The lack of races made for lots of samey training diaries.

3. The one where the lunatics came to have a go at our dirty, sweaty, bad mannered attitude to running during lockdown.

4. No idea really due to my much reduced usage of Strava and Boards. Not sure I can even name a 2020 newcomer....

5. CBG, Lambay Island and Laineyfrecks would all have fair claims from the little I have read. It seems they all managed multiple and substantial 'PB' times.

6. For me it had to be Murph's...simple as that.

7. Raheny 5 mile. A nod to the late great PH. Brilliant race as always. Oh and the fact it's a race helps too. The Boards TTs were great craic but in my little mind only real races count for this.

8. Again I haven't been reading much here so no idea really.

9. OONegative. To have fought off the affects of Covid-19 when it was at its worst during the first wave and come back running is a huge testament to the man's determination....even if he had to stop for a breather mid TT.

10. Murph's 26.2 mile TT. I know the arbitrary sub 3 marathon, sub 5/6 etc miles and various other times for distances tend to catch the eye but they take no account of the variables. For me this was the performance of the year....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just another one for performance of year that may have been mentioned earlier- Dubh Geannain going sub 5 in the 1 mile TT from these parts.

For log of the year I really enjoyed the back and forth on Laineyfrecks and SkyBlue46’s logs from earlier in the year with the former giving what I 100% believe to be the true story and the latter's log describing the same run in some sort of bizzarro alternate world!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    9. OONegative. To have fought off the affects of Covid-19 when it was at its worst during the first wave and come back running is a huge testament to the man's determination....even if he had to stop for a breather mid TT.

Good to see you haven’t lost that sense of humour......

You’ll get my vote next year S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just another one for performance of year that may have been mentioned earlier- Dubh Geannain going sub 5 in the 1 mile TT from these parts.

For log of the year I really enjoyed the back and forth on Laineyfrecks and SkyBlue46’s logs from earlier in the year with the former giving what I 100% believe to be the true story and the latter's log describing the same run in some sort of bizzarro alternate world!

I really thought you were smarter than that...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I really thought you were smarter than that...:rolleyes:

You know what those boys west of the Shannon are like S, seen a fella run a sub 3 marathon recently with his head on upside down!!!!!

Advertisement