Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

Conan was the obvious selection once we went 6-2. We need an option to bring another natural running distributing player onto the pitch if we're chasing it in the second half. We've a long queue of players who all the other elements of back row play. Plus, he'll be straight on if Doris has to leave the field at any point.

Clearly Farrell rates him above Timoney as the sixth forward. I do too as an eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

I can see the lineout struggling until Ryan comes on - god helps us if Sheehan gets a knock & Kelleher (who couldn't hit the backside of a barndoor @ the moment) has to come on early

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

I do hope that JGP resists the urge to take over too much of the kicking from Crowley.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Henshaw at 12. But, I would like to see Frawley there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

This should be a very exciting 6N. Both Italy and England should be a lot better this year and Ireland struggled against both last year while Italy give France a fright. I can’t see a grand slam but if anyone pulls it off it will be some achievement. I like the look of the Ireland team, the only question mark is the lineout and what happens if Henshaw goes down, Aki obvs to 13 which France will savour. Some bench to be unloading in the second half. France will want a tidy lead at 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Why Aki at 13 instead of Henshaw? At least the latter has shown he can play that position to pretty high standard.

Henshaw looks like he's coming back into form at just the right time and no better man to stop Danty at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

He’ll come on for POM after 60 minutes worst case.

I think the bookies have this as a 4 point spread in France's favour, and I'd struggle to argue with that. There obviously isn't a whole lot between the teams, and I think home advantage (and Karl Dickson who we've previously struggled under on a few occasions, particularly at scrum time) tips it in their favour.

I think they look a little more settled than us, and think their best players are showing a bit more form domestically at this stage.

Obviously they've never looked good sans Dupont, but Maxime Lucu has been sublime for Bordeaux this year so far, and I think he'll announce himself in a massive way in this tournament.

I'd absolutely love obviously to win here and go on and defend our GS, but would really urge a bit of perspective and composure from people if we lose on Friday night.

We have to give guys like Jack Crowley and Joe McCarthy a bit of time to adapt to test match rugby. They're both absolutely liable to make mistakes given their youth and inexperience, but they're both absolutely there on merit because they've earned the shirt too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'm in two minds on this game. Talk is that France are going to go back to a running style and stop kicking for territory so much. If they start running from their own 22 against us I think we will eat them up.

Be interesting to see how the backline goes post Sexton which is my main worry. I hope Crowley demands the ball from JGP and plays on the gainline.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭techdiver

To be honest I worry for this game (and the rest of this year at least).

The post world cup hangover is most definitely there as seen by the performances of the provinces. I can't see how the motivate themselves after another cycle of failure considering all the effort put in. Grand slam aside form last yar you have the bulk of this team being Leinster who put a huge effort into attempting to win a European Cup and a World Cup and after the 3/4 year cycle came up with nothing in either pursuit.

I really hope I'm wrong but I think this could be a tough year for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Don't see us losing by more than 5 and think we can win. Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

On the cover of Saturday's L'Equipe, I want an image of Joe McCarthy carrying with three French defenders hanging off him, and the headline to read "Joe Le Taxi".

Otherwise I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Brought to mind Bill McLaren's commentary on 'Ginger' McLoughlin's score where he reached the try line despite England' best efforts

"Festooned wi Sassenachs"

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hope I'm wrong but I think the World Cup hangover is going to be worse than expected and this game may end up being not so enjoyable for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭techdiver

All Blacks twitter account announced fixture against Ireland on November 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d expect France to win with home advantage but wouldn’t be too down on our chances. Plenty of quality out there for Ireland and a strong bench to spring. Key (as always) is the start. Can’t give them an early score like we did 2 years ago.

Be interesting to see what the French hangover is like. Missing Dupont and (to a lesser degree) N’Tamack and Jelonch. Happy to see Moefana on the wing too. France by a score for me due to home advantage (I’d probably back us to get over the line if it was in Lansdowne).

I expect a good performance from us. There was talk of a potential World Cup hangover when Leinster travelled over to LAR but they managed to put in a big performance so expect the same from a team coached by AF.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

If anything under more pressure to get a result than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

So this is the 5th time ever that the match day squad didn't have an Ulster player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

It's almost like the IRFU are hosting an Ireland World Cup quarterfinal opponent ghost of Christmas pass reunion tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Well nobody can say the selection isn't interesting! Let's bring it on.

France by more than a score for me, but would love to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Tommysocks11

I know the French are at home but our last meeting in Dublin last year we totally dominated them and got the bonus point for 4 tries, we arguably have a better team bar sexton and ringer and they have new look second row partnership and the GOAT missing at scrum half so all told I'm quietly confident about our chances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not that anyone cares but I honestly have little to no excitement for this game or this year's 6N. The latest World Cup quarter final exit essentially dissolved what emotional investment I had in the Irish team, and I probably will struggle to get it back until they actually win a quarter final. Obviously I'll still watch the games out of interest and as a fan of rugby, but I couldn't really care at this stage whether they win or lose. I'd wager I'm not the only one who feels this way. So I probably won't be too active on this thread throughout the 6N, you'll all be delighted to hear 😂.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TRC in downbeat dejected mood shocker !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I actually feel sorry for you that you are so incapable of enjoying anything. I hope you somehow feel better about it in 4 or 8 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Advertisement