Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I was incredibly wrong thinking of switching out JGP. He was amazing.

I'd say McCarthy and Beirne need to be cemented in as a lock pairing. They fit perfectly in terms of complementary skills. McCarthy's carrying game seemed to allow everyone else to specialize and excel at other things. Beirne could have got POTM as well but McCarthy was a good shout.

This tournament is now and even bigger opportunity for mccarthy, crowley and nash (assuming hanson is out for entirety?). If we can win a grand slam and those three start and play as well as tonight (or even 90% as well) then it will be hard to get them out.

The concern is the scrum. Starting to come around a bit to the porter to TH idea assuming you can figure out someone on that side. Would have liked to see Boyle as a training panelist maybe but scrummaging is prob weakest part of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

How many times is that now that Henshaw has come in for Ringrose and been written off by everyone, with everyone lamenting at how devastating a loss Ringrose is, only for him not too be missed at all and for Henshaw to perform brilliantly? I've lost count at this stage. Aki/Henshaw is our best centre pairing and has been since 2017.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It wasn't a world cup knockout match so it doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Happyhouse22

While not sure I am as certain Aki Henshaw is the best partnership, I definitely agree that Henshaw is massively underrated as a 13. Some of our biggest wins have come with Henshaw at 13. Last year people were so worried about Ringrose potentially being out forgetting that as recently as the third test in New Zealand Aki and Henshaw had been a wonderful partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement

Like what? I was literally praising Robbie Henshaw. He was outstanding, having been written off in the buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The ability to make it sound negative, even when you are giving praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That was magnificent.

The negative ones were the ones mourning on Wednesday when they heard Ringrose was out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Henshaw wasn't "written off", it was noted that he hasn't been in great form this year. Thankfully he showed signs of getting it back against Leicester and obviously continued on an upward curve yesterday.

He was still genuinely quite poor until a couple weeks ago though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Away you with your objectivity and common sense. This is a place for hyperbole and extremes only!!

Wouldn't expect any changes for the Italy game next week. The latter look pretty good in attack. They're exposing England's rush defence with some excellent passing.

Well since you insist on objectivity, Ireland's best ever World Cup finish is still the same as Canada's. Yesterday was a great performance, it's just a shame they couldn't deliver that in October when it mattered most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It must be tiring being unable to enjoy something you have such an interest in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

From here, Ireland should be going for the Perfect Slam. Yes that is something I just made up (afaik), it is a Grand Slam with 5 TBPs and giving away no LBPs. Essentially gaining maximum match points while giving up no match points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Just a reminder about not being active, think you might have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If the lineout functions like it did last night, we'd have beaten the kiwis, imo. Having shyte line out performances probably cost Ireland a chance to actually win the fcukin world cup.

How was it so poor!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Anyone come accross the full match anywhere? Virgin Media are an absolute pain in the ass on Sky Glass, and haven't put the match in the playlist as usual

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Rugby24.net has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭50HX

Ringrose is one of the best 13's in world rugby, he gets a bit of criticism for missed tackles but I think he's allowed that lee way by management as he shoots the line so quick

He's a brilliant reader of the game & superb passer

He's rarely injured & all of this shows why he is picked consistently, wasn't that long ago Aki had poor form, henshaw at 12 as a result which imo is he's best position

P.s I'm a munster fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Going to miss the U20s match - does anyone know where I can watch it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Will Frawley ever get off the bench? Poor lad rides pine like he was born to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I always thought you needed a VM TV sub to play their player, but it's playing online for me, cheers.

Shame it's not available on Sky Glass (I better check this later 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

6-2 split usually works against the two backs getting meaningful game time, coaches are nervous that they end up with only 14 on the field.

You might want to try reading that again. Never said I wouldn't be posting at all

Pity the referees don't get an overhead angle.

Really does seem like Porter is being judged on reputation rather than what's actually happening in the scrum.

BJ Botha arguing that Porter was unfairly penalised on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A very promising development for Ireland (as we enter into the post-Sexton era) is Crowley's vastly superior athleticism, and how it allows him move laterally across the pitch when we're on attack, and join a lot of phases at the back if the pod, i.e., the option out the back door. Sexton was no slouch athletically, to be clear. A lot of this is simply due to age. As Sexton got older, he was an option in fewer pods, but compensated by assuming the role of a general, dictating where play should happen. Porter's try in the (I think second) test in NZ is my favourite example of how effective this was.

But at the same time, the more phases you can play with the 10 at the back of the pod, the more chaos you can cause. This means that the option out the back door has a kick, run and pass threat. Subtle difference, but at the top level, a defending team keeping tabs on three things will leave more gaps than a defending team keeping tabs on one or two. I can't imagine it's a coincidence that our forwards absolutely beasted the French pack in the carry, when our pods more frequently fixed them to multiple threats.

To be clear, this is not to diminish the great carrying performances by McCarthy and Doris. Nor is it to re-open the can of worms of the decision to keep Sexton on in the QF. It's just to say that we are moving into an uncertain era, following Sexton's retirement, and that the initial signs are that it might have some degree of upside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Same as last year. Atonio is belly flop master

Advertisement