Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah he's been very solid for Munster, great to break tackles with footwork and link with his wingers. I don't like how he kicks the ball, tends to have a lower trajectory than others, so I feel his kicking is one of the weaker aspects of his game. Great last man tackler, fearless and has great technique.

But he doesn't cover wing so I can see why management haven't been as interested in him. But if I was to parachute in any player to 15 to cover it'd be him.

I do worry that we're going down the same line as with Sexton at 10 where Keenan is becoming irreplacable or we don't give others decent game-time there. No reason why Keenan could be rested this weekend and let someone else have a cut.

Jimmy O'Brien had a bit of a horror show on a recent appearance and I don't think Larmour has the positional sense. Mack is definitely better on the wing. Daly... I'm not sold on either to be honest.

I really like Lowry, touch of the Jason Robinsons about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

After last Friday night, very curious to see what happens with James Ryan. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a start this weekend but you’d also want to reward the two locks that started last week. Tricky balancing act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭50HX

I'd say as little change as possible from the france game with the objective being to bed in crowley as much as

Empty the bench at 55 mins assuming all goin well on the scoreboard & injury wise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wouldn't be surprised to see Healy start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah that's true. And a lot of Aussie and Bok fans would have a similar opinion of BOD. Good but not great, could do the spectacular but couldn't win in the big games.

As for Russell, I think a lot of SH fans see him as very talented but unreliable. A flaky Quade Cooper who was a dodgy Carlos Spencer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think McCarthy and Beirne is the probable partnership going forward. No real point disrupting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd be surprised if we don't see several changes whether through rotation or by "injury" where they give guys with a minor niggle the weekend off. The Italy game is the fixture that has always been used to rotate under Farrell:

2023: 6 changes from the game against France, some injury enforced but we also had guys like POM and Murray rotating to the bench

2022: 5 changes from the game against France after having a fortnight off. Mostly injury enforced or guys returning but also decided to keep Carbery at 10 with the returning Sexton on the bench and gave Keenan the week off, starting Lowry

2021: 7 changes from the game against France after having a fortnight off. Some injury enforced but guys like Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Furlong all came in from the bench and Herring, Healy and Porter all dropped to the bench.

Whilst I don't expect the same level of change as per above, I would expect 3-4 changes. I don't think there was any sign of Furlong, Bealham, Healy, VDF or POM in training yesterday so I'd imagine they are the most likely to be rotated; the Indo has since reported that POM is an injury doubt.

I'd expect us to go with the same backline for continuity and the fact that injuries have made any changes unlikely. They could potentially give JGP a break but would be somewhat counter productive to not give himself and Crowley more time to gel.

I think we could see half the pack changing though with guys like Jager and Timoney having a good chance of coming into the 23.

Kelleher, Conan, Nash and Keenan were all on media duty. Would expect to see them all start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Out of interest, and if you have it handy, how many of those were in the starting 15? Guessing 2-3ish on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In terms of the changes made in the last three years?

The numbers I noted were all to the starting team; I didn't include new guys who came onto the bench (although a good few were previously starting guys swapping with lads on the bench).

• Advertisement

Ronan Kelleher was speaking on the lineout yesterday, and an IT piece today noting how we were 13 from 13 on our own ball, in addition to disrupting a number of French throws as well.

The Molecast podcast (out yesterday) had an excellent piece on this, where they highlighted how our lineout seemed vastly simplified in terms of movement and complexity prior to the throw last Friday night.

It's like we got in our own heads a bit too much at the RWC, where every lineout seemed to involve multiple dummy jumps and lots of movement up and down the line. Most of that was absent last Friday, with a focus on just getting guys up quickly and focusing on maintaining possession.

The biggest difference to me though was how poorly considered the French selection was from a lineout perspective. Neither Gabrillagues or Willemse are elite lineout operators, and Poisolo Tuilagi is basically unliftable. Charles Ollivon seemed to be their lone real option as a jumper, until Woki game in. They were badly missing Flament in this regard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree about the French lineout completely.

Credit to Ireland in that every throw was on target and the lift timing was spot on , but as you point out they weren't really being put under massive pressure by the French so I'd be cautious about getting all excited about the lineout being "fixed" relative to the issues seen previously.

An excellent start , but need to see how they go against a lineout that gets players off the ground against them and put the process under real pressure.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Yeah, agree with this.

The only wrinkle is - you would have at least expected them to be a lot better at stifling our mauls with the selection they had, and yet we scored the two maul tries in the second half with what looked like relative ease.

The red card was obviously a factor in this, in terms of tiredness in their pack, but it's still really indicative of their poor performance in that they neither put us under pressure in the air or managed to kill our maul at source either.

They would be a much more formidable force on both fronts with Flament and Meafou in the row.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cheers for that, it's more than I would have anticipated (initially thought they were the the 23) and seems like plenty of rotation.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,587 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seb negri being out for italy is huge, he brings such physicality both sides of the ball he will be sorely missed. Possibly its a chance for Ross Vintcent to come onto the bench for hois debut, assuming Izekor starts. Zuliani will then cover 7 and 6 with Vintcent covering 8. I cant imagine italy moving from their 6/2 split

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

As per indo O Mahoney is a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

We can probably make a couple of rotations without upsetting things and maintaining some continuity.

If there's no POM, either Baird comes straight in or Ryan does and Beirne goes to 6. Either way Beirne can get another week of calling the lineout to keep that momentum going and we still have 3 good jumpers.

I think we could afford to change one starting prop with last week's starter going to the bench. Maybe start O'Toole and Porter and bench Furlong and Healy/Loughman (there's a case to be made either way).

I'd keep the starting back line as is and put Casey on the bench instead of Murray. There isn't really anyone else in the squad who needs the minutes or experience, so I'd rather let Crowley and Nash settle in with rest of the usual starters around them.

Edit: Maybe go back to a 5-3 split so that Frawley can get on the pitch earlier without leaving us with no back cover. Probably Larmour to come in for the most cover.

Think Conan is the most likely to come into the back row over Baird and Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

You might be right in terms of "likely", but I'd prefer to keep Doris at 8. And given the choice I think I'd like to put time into Baird.

If POM is fit, then maybe start Conan and bench Doris. Keep the 2nd row the same in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

France were so poor in almost every facet of the game. The pack had no real line out operators and we took full advantage. I was delighted with our line out and saw massive improvement. They where missing Flament, who would have made a difference. We have hopefully turned the corner with our line out yips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

One swallow does not a summer make.

I'm hoping our lineout issues are resolved, and I'd have faith in POC to do it, but that was far from conclusive evidence. Let's see after the full tournament.

It's nice to have a good line out. It's a pity it was crap when it mattered.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A simplified line out makes it easier for our lads to coordinate the throw and lift but it will also be much easier for the opposition to target next time out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,587 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im going ireland 52 - 8 Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Ireland now has 4 quality players in that position, great to see. Probably pick the players based on the opposition and who would suit them best. Ryan for instance was the one who controlled Skelton in the Final and in the group game this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Before the game a French fan told me they had picked Paul Gabrillagues because he has the most lineout steals in Top 14 this season and France had targetted the Irish lineout.

We are an excellent team, but thats a tad over optimistic, Italy are actually pretty decent . Yes we will win but cant se it by that much, hope you are right .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think Beirne had one of the best irish performances pretty much ever and should be an absolute lock for that shirt. McCarthy was fantastic as well. I might rotate them for a rest but for me they should be absolute locks for selection.

Advertisement