Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,583 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jesus christ, the man literally says he knew of jack and he was very impressed by him.... but keep trying to prop up your mates narrative as best as you can. plus ca change

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How could he have seen much of him in action for Munster or seen footage of him when the guy basically hadn't played for Munster at that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Players have gotten injured and retired not form

The response always trotted out is that it is a function of the sponsorship with Aviva. The A game vs NZ XV presumably was in the RDS as Ireland had a match the next day and that is the only way the national coaches could be remotely involved?

I'd agree that, in Nov at least, they should definitely aim to move one game elsewhere. There are limited options for stadiums with the level of corporate hospitality that they will want though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If he had, he should certainly have considered going. A couple of years playing regularly could have done him a world of good (or not).

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭fitz

There's some amount of revisionism going on here. I seem to recall when Catt mentioned in November 2022 that Crowley had called him a year before for info on how Ireland were doing things, the reaction was overwhelmingly positive that Crowley was being proactive and ambitious. I don't remember anyone at the time on here or elsewhere saying anything about why the national coaches weren't already giving him work ons, and nor sure there have been, tbh...it was too early for that in 2021, regardless of ROG's interest.

It seems like people are just taking umberage now based on how Crowley has started to fulfil some of his potential, and using that as a standard to retrospectively apply to what the coaches should have been doing 3 years ago.

Crowley's call showed his ambition and focus on where he wanted to get to, and that he's got the kind of determination we'd associate with Sexton. Great to see in an academy graduate, and I remember thinking more of him at the time when Catt talked about it. But trying to paint it as him being ignored by coaches he didn't yet have a direct working relationship with is just barking mad, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I only ever wish for bad things to happen to phog, and I want that on record.

He had an u20s Six Nations tournament (albeit curtailed), and whatever else motivated ROG to try sign him, at the very least. But taking a step back, I'm not pinning anything specifically on Catt here. Comms between the senior side and fringe/promising players takes a team of staff. And there's very good evidence that things have improved a lot since late 2021 (EI Tour, developmental inclusions this 6N, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's a few people either missing the point here.

The point is Mike Catt shouldn't be sitting around waiting on a call from a ballsy young fello, he should be tracking his development, sending out "work ons" to players.

Ignore the province, the player, etc, what do the national coaches do between international windows.

I asked today (someone decided to hijack the comment) when was the last time we've seen the national coaches at a provincial game outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

One Winners medal each from the same competition (in all it's iterations).

Weir : Glasgow Pro12 2014-15

Russell : as above

Healy : Munster Pro14 2022-23

Ahh, the heady heights of pro sport ..

I asked today (someone decided to hijack the comment) when was the last time we've seen the national coaches at a provincial game outside of Dublin

In context, it hardly matters as they wouldn't have seen Crowley playing.

It is impossible for anyone in the national coaching sphere to be sending out "work ons" to a player who is not playing in matches that they can see. At that point in time the Munster academy coaches, and provincial coaches, were all that mattered to Crowley. People are setting completely unrealistic expectation on what the national senior coaching panel should be doing. Do you expect them to be watching video of academy training sessions or something?

• Advertisement

He's essentially back in "his" place in the pecking order. I would agree that he could feel a bit aggrieved this week, but I don't agree about last week. McCloskey is never going to be on a bench in a 6-2, you need a player like Frawley there to make that work (albeit, I don't like it and I don't think it worked).

People are setting completely unrealistic expectation on what the national senior coaching panel should be doing.

id just put that down to a lack of knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of the set up of the IRFU.

The idea that the senior coaches dont talk to the u20s coaches (who is responsible for that pathway from age grade to senior anyway!) is simply people having an amateurish understanding of a professional set up. You can be guaranteed that the stats and analysis officers have a dossier on all the age grade players coming through the national set up. Anyone who doubts this can read todays article on Eoin Toolan and the work he was he was doing for Kurt McQuilkin as IRFU High Performance coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,311 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure why you're making this out to be about Crowley

The original question never mentioned him.

Surely, it's a good thing for players & provincial coaches and even fans to have the national coaches attend a few games in the regions.

Are they that busy week in, week out , when there are no national games happening or in the immediate future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Tbh, I think Ravenhill would be a perfect candidate. Munster do a good job of getting invitational sides down (which is something I always look forward to), and the U20's games in Cork have been pretty well received, so Ravenhill would seem to be a good fit for a game to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Larmour, Carbery, Byrne, Conan, Stockdale, Cooney, McCloskey etc would all argue with you

So would Earls, Conway etc who had been dropped due to form.

As Big Joe is playing this year who did he replace?

Off the top of my head stockdale was injury as was byrne both earls and conway where injuries carbery also I think less sure on that one. Was conan a starter under farrell (didnt doris replace cj) or larmor? Has cooney ever even made an extended squad? Mcloskey was only in due to multiplr injuries

Joe came in for ryan alright

The counter discussion has ranged from gross straw man/non sequitur:

I hope they've learned their lesson and are in regular contact with Tony Butler now.

to snide ad hominem:

"Like, who would track this sort of thing? Seems a bit stalkery."

Some half-decent discussion emerged, but even it was marred by inconsistency, i.e.:

The Ireland coaches have far too much on their plate to be keeping an eye on players who essentially have not yet played senior rugby.

which completely conflicts with your point on there being dossiers full of data and efficient communication across the coaching hierarchy.

non sequitur, ad hominem and inconsistency... as close as you can get to a Holy Trinity of emotional defensiveness, imo.

If you're going to counter my point, counter my point.

If those other posters wish to debate with me, they are more than welcome to.

Or, like phog, just make stuff up in your head and create another strawman victim

Noble of you to request your points be addressed.

Slightly related topic. Was this you?

but keep trying to prop up your mates narrative as best as you can. plus ca change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭square ball

I would expect them to be keeping major tabs on someone like Crowley when the current 10 was so close to the end of his career. Only a handful of players ahead of him and he showed his potential at under 20 level. They should have been identifying and addressing any weaknesses in the game of possible replacements when they knew JS was retiring after the World Cup in collaboration with club coaches.

The coaches should have an in depth knowledge of all aspects of a players game if there is even a chance the player may be called up the the senior squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭OldRio

You genuinely read 'travelling fans as away fans'?

OK.

So to cut this short, you admit the comment that players don't get dropped for form is wrong?

FYI Cooney was on bench in first game for Farrell.

H Byrne, R Byrne, Carty, Billy Burns, Sexton, Ginger Scot, Carbery off top of head who was ahead of him at the start of last season. You could even say Flannery at Ulster as well as he was in number 2 slot

How many players do you want them to monitor?

THe coach's should spend the time on the player in and aroun the squad, working with them and making them better. Not every single player who might get called up in the future. That is unrealistic and would spread them too thin leaving the actual squad players losing out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its actually amazing Munster still exists given how clearly every single person involved in the IRFU is out to get them.

Patronising comments aside any fan base would be annoyed in this situation

We have 4 teams to monitor not multiple leagues.

• Advertisement

Who said they have to monitor multiple leagues?

Advertisement