Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

If I wasn't a Munster fan who wanted to keep him, I would've loved to see Larkham get his hands on this attack.

He hasn't exactly set the munster backline free.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

bilston wrote: »
    In what way was Burns rubbish? He had one bad miss at goal, and was stripped off the ball once. What else did he do wrong? Ireland were the better team for much of the first half when he was on the pitch. In the second half Ireland were literally going backwards when they had the ball.
    No Vision, one dimensional, there was at least twice in the first 20 minutes when the French defence was all bunched up behind the ruck and we had massive overlaps and he booted the ball away. We may be under orders to kick more but an international 10, or any 10 for that matter, has to be able to read the defense and make the right decision. Alot of people seem to be making the case for him because hes in the jersey, I dont know how he got the jersey but hes not the answer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

FrannoFan wrote: »
    He hasn't exactly set the munster backline free.

Munster have scored some tries this season that, imo, they wouldn't have scored in previous seasons. These things don't happen overnight, but there's clear signs of progress in attack with Munster. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure we can say he same for Ireland.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Surely those numbers will catch up on Wales eventually. We're on top of them in almost every aspect of the game, yet we're 0 for 2 and they're 2 for 2. It's been said a good bit on here so far but small margins

Wales are benefitting from their young winger Rees-Zammit having a stormer of a breakthrough season, similar to Stockdale in 2018.

You can say it's red cards, but he has scored important tries 2 weeks in a row now and is playing with a lot of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Don't revel in this too much now.

Doubt anyone is reveling in the way Ireland are performing at the moment. But it's beyond me how anyone can think we don't need an urgent change in management given the complete absence of any progress, and indeed continued deterioration, we've seen under Farrell.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Munster have scored some tries this season that, imo, they wouldn't have scored in previous seasons. These things don't happen overnight, but there's clear signs of progress in attack with Munster. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure we can say he same for Ireland.

agree with that. our attack policy seems to be pass it to the edge and go nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

TO be fair I think the forwards have stepped up signifigantly, I presume its O'Connells influence and I wasnt pro that move, thought it was a panic move as he doesnt have much coaching experience. But the line out and scrum have improved signifigantly and most of the big plays are now coming from the forwards.

We didnt deserve to win yesterday but we definitely did not get a fair share of the calls from sir. Big moment for me was when we pushed them 7 or 8 Metres off their own ball under the posts, that had to be a penalty to Ireland but he just called it a reset. We've should have come away with at least 3 points there, and they scored the try straight after.
    They spent the first 20 minutes snoozing on the the ground at our rucks slowing it down when we were on top, think he gave us 1 pen but they were at it "all day" before that. Cian Healy does it once in their first real attack and its "voulez vous kick le trois points sil vous plat" from sir (French accent to be done in the style of Del Trotter)
    At one stage he tells JGP not to be falling over the French players doing swiss roll impersonations out the back of the ruck like its his fault they are there.

awec wrote: »
    Wales are benefitting from their young winger Rees-Zammit having a stormer of a breakthrough season, similar to Stockdale in 2018.

You can say it's red cards, but he has scored important tries 2 weeks in a row now and is playing with a lot of confidence.

Lowe has offered a big left boot but been very poor defensively two games running now.

if you swap lowe for zammit ireland are (maybe) two from two and wales zero from two.

(very hypothetical situation!)

OldRio wrote: »
    Pretty frustrating numbers from Ireland.

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/1361249135110848512?s=20

I'm not surprised by that passing number. We are throwing the ball around plenty but completely ineffectually.

I'm very surprised by that turnover count, I feel our breakdown has improved a good deal and would like to see more stats on how those turnovers are occurring.

Our carrying is completely ineffectual comparatively.

If we're getting little return from taking the ball into contact and getting regularly turned over it's not surprising that we're kicking but the next question then is are we kicking because nothing else works?

It certainly felt like that yesterday. When we couldn't kick at the end of the game we went backwards in possession and those stats paint a fairly concerning picture as to the teams confidence ball in hand.

We have a group of players that lack organisation and cohesion and don't know what they are doing so kick the ball away because it's safer than trying to play our way into scoring positions. That's the summary I take away from this.

Three matches to make things click but this is starting to feel like Matt O'Connor at Leinster.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Lowe has offered a big left boot but been very poor defensively two games running now.

if you swap lowe for zammit ireland are (maybe) two from two and wales zero from two.

(very hypothetical situation!)

I don't think you can really make comparisons like that but ultimately there needs to be some level of mismatch and forward penetration for backs to take contact on their terms or run through gaps. Continually playing against 14 men even when Wales look as disorganised as us will create those opportunities.

We're not challenging teams sufficiently to allow that to happen and worse - when we were playing against 14 men we gave away a score having gifted an overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm very surprised by that turnover count, I feel our breakdown has improved a good deal and would like to see more stats on how those turnovers are occurring.

Also partly a function of just how much possession we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

CH, RH, TF, TB, JR, CD, JF, CS; CM, JS, JS, RH, GR, KE, HK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

hawley wrote: »
    CH, RH, TF, TB, JR, CD, JF, CS; CM, JS, JS, RH, GR, KE, HK
    OK

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wittycynic wrote: »
    Doubt anyone is reveling in the way Ireland are performing at the moment. But it's beyond me how anyone can think we don't need an urgent change in management given the complete absence of any progress, and indeed continued deterioration, we've seen under Farrell.

If you're a badweather fan who only rocks up here when the team is struggling, then revelling is the appropriate term.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If you're a badweather fan who only rocks up here when the team is struggling, then revelling is the appropriate term.

Same thing happened after the World Cup. Lots came out if the woodwork to slate the side. Wasn't a peep out of them in the prior 18 months.

Clegg wrote: »
    Same thing happened after the World Cup. Lots came out if the woodwork to slate the side. Wasn't a peep out of them in the prior 18 months.

The same poster in question did exactly this.

His last post in 2017 was telling us Earls wasn't a Schmidt favourite. The next post he had on here was the morning after the Japan result. I don't think that's a coincidence, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

His last post in 2017 was telling us Earls wasn't a Schmidt favourite. The next post he had on here was the morning after the Japan result. I don't think that's a coincidence, tbh.

Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Strange game yesterday ..... one that Ireland could have won if their decision making was better when presented with a few decent chances in the first half.

Might have been a different second half if France had been 10 points down at the interval rather than 7 points up.

Saying that France blew at least two open goals in the second half keeping Ireland in the hunt and themselves a little bit nervy towards the end.

I would echo some of previous comments on here ..... Ireland's three quarter play is nowhere near good enough. Two more defeats on the cards unless they improve this area of the game.

Why the constant 'up & under' tactic in the first half? It wasn't working. Eddie Waring would have had a field day ......

Ireland are great at keeping the ball but are relatively toothless with it ...... The provinces get away with it at a lower level but at the top level better organized & motivated defences will just keep on knocking you down .....

It's difficult to see what Ireland's stock game plan is .... I would say the same thing about Wales at the moment as well. Wales however have game breakers & I would argue players who are more inclined to play what's in front of them rather than what they talked about in the days prior to the game.

Personnel wise I wouldn't know the answer .... but they need to change something ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/report/france-break-dublin-hoodoo-with-narrow-win#live

Updated stats. Ruddock upgraded to 52 metres from eleven carries, CJ to 98 metres from 18 carries. Ruddock very busy at the breakdown too per Murray Kinsella's stats, along with Hendo and Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

that french pack is huge... we were innefectual.... and i am a big fan of CJ and Ruddock...

• Advertisement

Hardly surprising that some fans choose to post when they're particularly riled up.

It's a strange view to hold that someone is only reasonably entitled to criticise poor performances on Boards if they've cheerily praised good performances on Boards too.

I get that some people simply don't want to listen to negativity, but only posting when you're annoyed isn't reveling. It's a reflection of motivation to get involved in a chat when you're particularly frustrated.

And that frustration is completely understandable, considering the way the team is playing at the minute.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hardly surprising that some fans choose to post when they're particularly riled up.

It's a strange view to hold that someone is only reasonably entitled to criticise poor performances on Boards if they've cheerily praised good performances on Boards too.

I get that some people simply don't want to listen to negativity, but only posting when you're annoyed isn't reveling. It's a reflection of motivation to get involved in a chat when you're particularly frustrated.

And that frustration is completely understandable, considering the way the team is playing at the minute.

youve just endorsed consistent negative posting.

think about that

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/report/france-break-dublin-hoodoo-with-narrow-win#live

Updated stats. Ruddock upgraded to 52 metres from eleven carries, CJ to 98 metres from 18 carries. Ruddock very busy at the breakdown too per Murray Kinsella's stats, along with Hendo and Healy.

I never know what to make of these stats, tbh. For example, on ESPN, they have Ruddock down as 8 metres from 11 carries (updated from 10 from 10 last night). They're so divergent that one of them must be completely inaccurate.

I'd be interested to see stats from any credible journalists if anyone has come across them? I'd assume they have access to more reliable sources.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    youve just endorsed consistent negative posting.

think about that

I did nothing of the sort.

I said accusing people who post every now and again when they are particularly frustrated or annoyed about their team's performance of revelling in Ireland's failure is wrong. And it is.

As it happens, I would expect this this forum to be a lot more negative when Ireland are performing badly, which they are currently. And I would expect it to be much more positive if the team starts to perform well again.

Quite where you got that I am endorsing 'consistent negative posting', whatever that is, I have no idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

ah yeah only true fans hold fire. Some serious people criticizing the team now. D'arcy was. Ward today.

The only way for the usual suspects on here will be two more losses.

Some people on here are just living in denial, no problem with it. Live off 2018 all you want.

I was critical of the team under a different moniker but didn't like the name i had chosen and a security breach with my pc. but hey ho whatever.

Usual lads of cousrse, saying, nothing to see here. its beyond a a joke

And under my old moniker i was critical of Schmidt due to 2015 and the issues that cost us eventually in 2018. He was our best ever coach, that is without doubt. But our style of rugby was crap at times and hugely frustrating. We had the same selection issues etc.

The only funny thing is some of you lads living off 2018 and before. Its hilarious, its 2021 and the Irish team is on a downward slope.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I did nothing of the sort.

I said accusing people who post every now and again when they are particularly frustrated or annoyed about their team's performance of revelling in Ireland's failure is wrong. And it is.

As it happens, I would expect this this forum to be a lot more negative when Ireland are performing badly, which they are currently. And I would expect it to be much more positive if the team starts to perform well again.

Quite where you got that I am endorsing 'consistent negative posting', I have no idea.

people who are frustrated, and any decent rugby fan would be, are of course entitled to voice that... but any good faith argument is done by being constructive as well and negative.

the persistent outrageous hyperbole that comes from some certain posters just doenst do their argument any good, because they just post negative crap. The fact that one of these posters didnt post at all during the best year of recent rugby is telling enough.

if a post feel they have to come onto a message board and post negatively because they are frustrated, and they feel they dont have to post at all when things are going good... then sorry but that is the very definition of "consistent negative posting@" and that exactly what you endorsed.

edit:
    QED
    Niallof9 wrote: »

typical hyperbolic crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

ah yeah only true fans hold fire. Some serious people criticizing the team now. D'arcy was. Ward today.

The only way for the usual suspects on here will be two more losses.

Some people on here are just living in denial, no problem with it. Live off 2018 all you want.

Criticism of the team is fine. Lots of people have been critical. Its when someone is only critical it gets tiring.

Criticism of the team is fine. Lots of people have been critical. Its when someone is only critical it gets tiring.

and you know what else is tiring, the same posters continually living in the past and basically saying everything is fine. Sure it will be grand next...insert tournament/tour/match..hiding moves. these people have been completely proven wrong, time and time again yet they still hold court here. you'd think there would be a little reticence to criticize others for pointing out such obvious flaws and continued issues.

• Advertisement

I was critical of the team under a different moniker but didn't like the name i had chosen and a security breach with my pc. but hey ho whatever.

And under my old moniker i was critical of Schmidt due to 2015 and the issues that cost us eventually in 2018. He was our best ever coach, that is without doubt. But our style of rugby was crap at times and hugely frustrating. We had the same selection issues etc.

The only funny thing is some of you lads living off 2018 and before. Its hilarious, its 2021 and the Irish team is on a downward slope.

Out of interest, do you care to share this moniker with us? Presumably it would have a lot of praise for the results in 2018?

Presume the above is a typo as well and you mean 2019? 2018 was the best year ever for Irish rugby.

Advertisement