Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Italy have have finished bottom in eight of the last nine years. This year being the exception to the rule. Claiming that previous eight years are "historical" seems a bit of a stretch tbh. It's a massive step up to what Casey has ever experienced before.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Casey isn't in there to kick contestables.

With the back three we've selected we're going to kick long in defense

If we were planning to drop garrowens we'd have selected Murray

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes, but Casey played them this year. You can't just reflexively dismiss it as "just Italy" given the context of their performances and results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

you should know better…..going on like that with genuine posters.

You know well I've been posting here long enough. And the 'irrationally dismissive'! Really? 36v0 ….haven't beaten Ireland in what 15 games?

You think those games v Italy are comparable. Good luck to you

The fact we beat them comfortably with Casey starting whereas everyone else struggled or lost to them is a massive positive for Casey, not a reason to dismiss the match.

• Advertisement

I'd argue it would be a lot smarter to dismiss rather than declare they are suddenly a great team. They finished last in the previous eight 6 Nations and were equally as poor on the World cup. It's more likely that teams they played in the 6 nations played a level below what they are capable of, rather than Italy raising a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I haven't seen enough of Munster recently to know or been particularly struck with his kicking in the games I've seen.

This is the biggest vote of confidence from Farrell he's had to date.

I'd imagine we'll see very few kicks from Casey but there is going to be times he's going to have to put boot to ball with slow ruck ball.

3 left footers starting for Ireland. Cant recall the last time Ireland selected that in a serious Test.

Springboks will prob target that Nash wing .

Maybe one of the reasons Farrell brought in Osborne FB. He can be 1st receiver for clearing kicks on the RHS.

There is nothing sudden about it. They beat Wales and Scotland, drew in Paris and lost by 3 points to England!

Claiming the start against Italy, in by far the best performance of any team against them, doesn't count is unfairly dismissive. Casey has limitations obviously, but he has performed well when called upon by Ireland.

They lost 60-7 to France in the world cup four months prior to that. To then claim drawing with them was not sudden seems a little far fetched.

Casey has done well when called upon, but that been against teams miles off the standard of South Africa.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think Casey has earned a start, the only other alternative in this match was Murray, maybe Blade but I think Casey is ahead of him this season.

I'm really not sold on Osborne at 15 but they obviously want to have a look at him, I wouldn't have picked him there personally in a match like this. Midfield would have been better for him I'd have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looking forward to seeing Casey get a run against SA. He’s served a (long) apprenticeship and has earned it. With regards to his kicking, I think he’s improved that massively over the years. Murray’s kicking has historically been excellent but think it’s definitely tailed off since 2018 when we used to regain a huge amount of contestables in part due to the quality of his kicks but also of course to the chasers. We rely on that far less now and I can see us using Lowe, Crowley and Osborne far more on Saturday as kicking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I’d be of the opinion that their poor World Cup performances were the (recent) outlier. Whilst not a great team, they’ve caused plenty of teams problems over the last two 6 nations campaigns including us in Rome in 2023.

Not sure what matches 4 years ago have to do with anything. They lost to France by 5 points in 2023 which seems more relevant.

Yes, South Africa are better than Italy. That is a perfectly fair statement and a long, long way from "Italy doesn't count" which is far too dismissive of both Casey and Italy. Unless you'd say the same if he's started against Wales or Scotland this year I think it's grossly unfair and incorrect.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,519 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SA are going to attack our rucks all the time, especially with the new croc roll law. we need to get the ball away from the rucks crisp and sharpish, and thats not murrays current strength, its caseys. Expect quick ball to 10, 11 or 15 and the leather kicked off it in our own 22. Outside between the 22s we need to be pragmatic and punch holes, which is where aki and henshaw come into play. Im thinking plenty of 2 or 3 punches and then a reverse play looking for the gaps, again, osbournes speed and power here is valuable.

if we can get quick ball and keep their jackal turnovers to a minimum we will have a fighting chance. If we are slow or ineffective / inaccurate at the breakdown we will be devoured.

Generally the better teams don't need to get out of second gear against them. The draw last year to France the beating Wales were very rare occurrences.

It eas four months ago, during the 2023 world cup. I've amended my posts as mistakenly left out "months".

I'd absolutely say the same against Wales. They are awful. Scotland, I would put their result down to a rare lapse from them rather than any significant improvement fro Italy. I expect normal service to be resumed next season.

Drawing to France and beating Wales and Scotland. And losing by 3 points to england. The Irish result was a massive, massive outlier.

Yeah, fair enough. They were terrible in the World Cup but as someone else mentioned I would genuinely consider that the exception. We will see how they go next year, but their performance in the 2024 6N is the relevant metric, and they were great all tournament. So you can't dismiss a very comfortable performance from Ireland with Casey against them.

There is a difference between "South Africa will be a step up" and "Italy doesn't count at all"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The world cup was 9 months ago, not 4 months or 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

LOL! Italy!!
    They've been rubbish every time Ireland play them.

They get minced upfront that’s why Casey plays.
    They weren’t even in the top 10 of the world rankings either time.

For Gods sake this is the biggest game of Casey's career by a mile!

& Italy just lost to Samoa btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/07/05/springboks-coach-rassie-erasmus-has-transformed-south-african-rugby-in-weird-and-wonderful-ways/

I honestly think Erasmus's biggest enemy is the utterly obsequious SA press. When the d***-riding hits levels of:

"Rassie brings the nation together. South Africa needs Rassie. Rassie gives hope for the future."

you simply can't expect to be kept in check by fair journalistic scrutiny. And you'll never think you have a bad idea.

Not that we're anywhere near this point with Farrell, who I believe is fundamentally a better person than Erasmus to begin with, but there is nonetheless a broader cautionary tale here for those who label discussion of a coach's decisions and policies as 'relentless abuse' or 'hatred.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

hardly a revelation is it?

I don’t think anyone thought Osbourne has played 15 this season but his performance against top teams in Europe have been impressive.

I doubt Farrell is putting him in at 15 just for a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Everyone deserves scrutiny, including those who are complaining.

Many called for experimentation and now that one of Ireland's most exciting young prospects is getting his first cap certain posters are moaning about the lack of opportunity for a 30 year old who had an out of shape now retiree starting ahead of him at his province.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Didnt you think a few weeks ago that starting backup players in their positions was to big a risk? Fair dues for the about turn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Im happy enough to try osbourne but no calling for mccann to get a chance to play a position he has 20 caps in or prendergast a position he has 50 caps in does not mean your a hypocrite for not thinking osbourne should play his second senior cap at 15 against the world champions

The lads who sugget 90 cap craig casey is a risk but osbourne is not however are absolutely hypocrites

You think players with 50 caps at a position should be given a chance at international level so you have to agree with 1 cap wt 15 osbourne starting there is particularly dumb logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

hopefully we can bate the lard out of the saffers tomorrow.

Osborne will have a stormer of a game, i can feel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Who are these people who you claim are saying both Osbourne is not a risk but Casey is?

From reading the thread since the Osbourne rumour came out I feel these 'absolute hypocrites' are 100% in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Remind me what this was about?

Does it have anything to do with my post and that most fans knew Osbourne hasn't started at 15 this season

As are the people annoyed at osbourne playing so everyones happy, happy days all round

• Advertisement

I asked you a question if you struggle with an answer that's no problem

Advertisement