Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

.ak wrote: »
    Lam has a history of taking a while to bed into a team. And that's with a club he'd be working with 40 odd hours a week with...

He has a history of being a successful head coach, which is more than can be said for Farrell.

It wouldn't take him as long to bed into the Ireland team than it did with Connacht or Bristol given the amount of world class players he'd have with Ireland that he didn't have with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

TRC10 wrote: »
    He has a history of being a successful head coach, which is more than can be said for Farrell.

It wouldn't take him as long to bed into the Ireland team than it did with Connacht or Bristol given the amount of world class players he'd have with Ireland that he didn't have with them.

World class players?

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    World class players?

Tadhg Furlong
    James Ryan
    John Cooney
    Robbie Henshaw
    Garry Ringrose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

I can see Cullen being the obvious next coach of Ireland. I hope Farrell turns it around but it hasn't looked great so far. We seem to play a very boring kick heavy style at times and it's not been that effective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

vetinari wrote: »
    I can see Cullen being the obvious next coach of Ireland. I hope Farrell turns it around but it hasn't looked great so far. We seem to play a very boring kick heavy style at times and it's not been that effective.

Pretty sure we have the lowest kicking per possession percentage of all teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Think the main names who's contracts are up soon are:

Stander, Henderson, Sexton, Earls, POM, Furlong, Healy

Do you think Sexton is worth another contract now ? Is it time to bite the bullet and give the youngsters the chance even if this means not challenging for titles for a few years? Would it be better in the long run ? Sextons injuries are just 1 after another now. Not reliable to finish a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Tadhg Furlong
    James Ryan
    John Cooney (!!!!)
    Robbie Henshaw
    Garry Ringrose

Woah you had us going for a second there!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Personally, Pat Lam is the best choice without question. But I read somewhere that he's on 800k at Bristol and I highly doubt the union could afford that. I'm not saying we should fire Farrell btw.

It took Pat Lam 3 years in both Connacht and Bristol to get his teams performing. That’s with total access. How long would it take with about <20 weeks access in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Has he? He had 1 good year with Connacht in the middle of bottom half of the table finishes and has a vastly superior squad to basically all of his competition at Bristol. That's not something he'd enjoy at Ireland. As others have pointed out, he also has a history of taking time to bed in despite being there week in, week out. Another thing he won't enjoy with Ireland. And the season or two he'd need to settle in is def something many Irish fans wouldn't have the patience for. Farrell being a case in point.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

outside of new zealand he may have that reputation...

inside, not so much.

less said about his time at the blues the better.

he has an ethos about playing that needs time to develop... and he has ALWAYS gone to the market to buy players who can play his system

he does not have that opportunity with a national team.

as much as im an admirer of him as a man, his coaching style and his playing style... theres simply zero evidence that he would make a successful international coach

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Has he? He had 1 good year with Connacht in the middle of bottom half of the table finishes and has a vastly superior squad to basically all of his competition at Bristol. That's not something he'd enjoy at Ireland. As others have pointed out, he also has a history of taking time to bed in despite being there week in, week out. Another thing he won't enjoy with Ireland. And the season or two he'd need to settle in is def something many Irish fans wouldn't have the patience for. Farrell being a case in point.

First season at Bristol he got promoted up to the premiership. They came 9th in his first season in the Prem. 2nd season they came 3rd (behind Wasps and Exter). And now they're at top ahead of the European champs Exeter with a game in hand. He also won a Challenge Cup last season. So yes he's done a pretty good job with Bristol.

He won a Pro12 with Connacht which makes him one of the greatest coaches to ever grace these shores. Added to that he plays a fantastic brand of rugby that most people here are crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Wash your mouth(uh... Fingers?) with soap

Pat Lam fundamentally changed the culture of Connacht rugby and is a big reason it is where it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Tadhg Furlong
    James Ryan
    John Cooney
    Robbie Henshaw
    Garry Ringrose
    Harry Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

clsmooth wrote: »

France are the only team who seem to have got it together but they weren’t exactly impressive against a severely weakened Irish team and have come from a relatively low base (for them). History suggests that they were always going to improve at some stage. Having arguably the best 9 in the world also helps.

This French team has been developing year on year for the last few now. Coming to Dublin and winning for first time in 10 years when they played poorly is another box ticked. They won't be able to play the way they want to always and finding a win away from home in that manner is impressive in its own way.

Kilcoyne kelleher furlong henderson Beirne ruddock vdf Coombes casey R.Byrne daly henshaw ringrose larmour keenan

(Bench herring Byrne Porter dillane connors JGP burns conway)

Are we really at a point where that team couldn't be expected to deliver a bonus point win v Italy ?

Do we really need to send Earls sexton Murray healy stander (pom if not banned), Ryan (head injury so give him an extra week or 2)

We need to get out of this cycle of either sticking with a winning team or giving an underperforming team far too long to rediscover form.

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Do we really need to send Earls sexton Murray healy stander (pom if not banned), Ryan (head injury so give him an extra week or 2)

The sad reality is we do. We haven't beaten a top team in 3 years and we're just doing the same thing with the same players and same coach over and over again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

When AF has won the pro 14 with the least fancied side come back and talk. Also people might then cut him more slack.

What can you say in reply to stuff like this?

Anyway i think Leo has earned the shot, with direct IRFU input into building a French like team of coaches. The reality atm is that we have a weaker set of coaches with Ireland than provincially. This is a **** up no doubt.

My personal choice would be Pat Lam but when was the last time the IRFU went outside. "smartest guys in the room" and all. infallible IRFU

its_phil wrote: »
    Please don’t compare Ian Madigan to David Humphreys. Madigan couldn’t touch Humphreys for quality delivered over a career.

In terms of flakiness. I loved Humphries as a player. He was absolutely dicked over in an Irish context. But he's not a once in a generation player, thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Joe Schmidt is the best coach Ireland has ever had and even he couldn't get us playing like his Leinster sides of 2010-2013.

Pat Lam has a style of rugby which is great to watch when everything goes right. But it takes constant repetition in training and plenty of matches to get it right. You don't have that luxury in test rugby. We wouldn't have success playing that way imo.

That isn't to say we shouldn't attempt to play more expansively. There's certainly scope for that. It's just that I don't think we should expect to see the same degree of fluidity in play as you'd see from a club/provincial side. Players just don't have enough time together to reach that.

Clegg wrote: »
    Joe Schmidt is the best coach Ireland has ever had and even he couldn't get us playing like his Leinster sides of 2010-2013.

Pat Lam has a style of rugby which is great to watch when everything goes right. But it takes constant repetition in training and plenty of matches to get it right. You don't have that luxury in test rugby. We wouldn't have success playing that way imo.

That isn't to say we shouldn't attempt to play more expansively. There's certainly scope for that. It's just that I don't think we should expect to see the same degree of fluidity in play as you'd see from a club/provincial side. Players just don't have enough time together to reach that.

but thats not the point its arguable we have weaker coaches with the national team than provincially. this should never be the case. we can pretend all we want Af was coveted and courted, but this is his first head gig and he failed with England and players didn't bat an eyelid at his loss.

Anyway i'm as certain an atheist as i am that AF will be out the door by next year. I'd bet my house on it. this is Brian Ashton levels of English failure. An absolute disaster of an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Pat Lam struggled massively when he arrived at Connacht, it took an age to get it right. He would never be given enough time to impose that style at international level.

In reality, the people calling for him here would be the first to call for his head, absolutely certainly.

Farrell will be around a while yet anyway, without doubt. They're not going to terminate a coach during a global pandemic.

• Advertisement

Pat Lam struggled massively when he arrived at Connacht, it took an age to get it right. He would never be given enough time to impose that style at international level.

In reality, the people calling for him here would be the first to call for his head, absolutely certainly.

Farrell will be around a while yet anyway, without doubt. They're not going to terminate a coach during a global pandemic.

absolute nonsense on three counts. an age, my arse. Connacht were a joke for a near decade. Connacht fans should fund a statue for Lam, and irish rugby is a joke for how dismissive it is of his influence.

People are willing to give time IF there is a discernible plan etc. there's **** all plan here. Lose to Italy and he's sacked. Struggle to a win in 2 matches and get hammered by England, there's a strong chance he's sacked.

IBF consistently wrong going on years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Niallof9 wrote: »
    but thats not the point its arguable we have weaker coaches with the national team than provincially. this should never be the case. we can pretend all we want Af was coveted and courted, but this is his first head gig and he failed with England and players didn't bat an eyelid at his loss.

Anyway i'm as certain an atheist as i am that AF will be out the door by next year. I'd bet my house on it. this is Brian Ashton levels of English failure. An absolute disaster of an appointment.

Absolute hyperbole. Brian Ashton :)

Farrell is doing a good job and we’ll be okay. We should’ve beaten Wales and France are the best side in Europe.

absolute nonsense on three counts. an age, my arse. Connacht were a joke for a near decade.

People are willing to give time IF there is a discernible plan etc.

If it wasn't for the Italian teams Connacht would have finished last in his first sesason.

You'd be squealing and demanding he's replaced by the end of his first year with Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This.

nah. Lam was a hero. would give him 3 years carte blanche.

Its hilarious people comparing AF with all our past coaches. absolutely gas.

He's done absolutely nothing as a head coach. fact

Farrell will go down as another Ashton. an interloper and a complete failure. as much as they love him, i think tactically the players already know.

nah. Lam was a hero. would give him 3 years carte blanche.

Its hilarious people comparing AF with all our past coaches. absolutely gas.

He's done absolutely nothing as a head coach. fact

Farrell will go down as another Ashton. an interloper and a complete failure.

Haha, you're calling Farrell a disaster of an appointment not even half way through his second 6 Nations, and you expect us to believe you'd have the patience to give Lam 3 years to get it right. :pac:

Haha, you're calling Farrell a disaster of an appointment not even half way through his second 6 Nations, and you expect us to believe you'd have the patience to give Lam 3 years to get it right. :pac:

i look forward to saying i told you so quite soon.

jesus, are you actually a Connacht fan?

Christ i remember reading the same schtick years ago with you. is it just whoever coaches Ireland = infallible.

Af will not be a success with Ireland. this will be a fact soon enough i imagine.

I'm actually thinking, having heard enough criticism around the place, that he could get the boot if he loses to Scotland.

He didn't do anything to earn the position, and he has no connection to Irish rugby, i'm struggling to see why some are willing to be so defensive.

i look forward to saying i told you so quite soon.

jesus, are you actually a Connacht fan?

Christ i remember reading the same schtick years ago with you. is it just whoever coaches Ireland = infallible.

Af will not be a success with Ireland. this will be a fact soon enough i imagine.

I'm actually thinking, having heard enough criticism around the place, that he could get the boot if he loses to Scotland.

He didn't do anything to earn the position, and he has no connection to Irish rugby, i'm struggling to see why some are willing to be so defensive.

I never said anyone is infallible. I'm not defending Farrell at all here. I'm criticising you. It's very easy stuff.

I never said anyone is infallible. I'm not defending Farrell at all here. I'm criticising you. It's very easy stuff.

ha good one, saids the lad who's been consistently wrong since God knows when. you are defending him through your whataboutery and Lam stuff.

and you have the balls to poke fun at others. hilarious really.

anyway i'm actually very confident AF will be sacked or walk as Irish coach. its a disaster of an appointment and has wrong place, wrong time written all over it. so look there's no point continuing this argument.

• Advertisement

In other news, Farrell calls up Billy Holland for the Italy game

Advertisement