Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jaysus! Who **** in the cheerios

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Niallof9 wrote: »
    the fact you take an utterly ****e game versus georgia as part of our overall improvements and progress is just nonsense man. seriously. please, there's no words to how much a joke that is. and its why the few critics on here are so perplexed.

Do continue to ignore my other paragraph highlighting all of the other times we've created opportunities - especially in the last two games v France and Wales... Four paragraphs of genuine rugby discussion and I'm met with more of the same - exasperated swears, denial, and a dearth of any real argument or discussion.
    look i actually give up. you've won, i hold my hands up. i;m leaving your forum to you guys..

Thank God for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is it not exhausting just being completely miserable all the time, that's what I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I gotta take a nap. This forum is too much for a simple lad like me, to get my head around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Do continue to ignore my other paragraph highlighting all of the other times we've created opportunities - especially in the last two games v France and Wales... Four paragraphs of genuine rugby discussion and I'm met with more of the same - exasperated swears, denial, and a dearth of any real argument or discussion.

Thank God for that.

You used the Georgia game, it took away from your argument.

yeah man, enjoy your circle jerk of lads who've been wrong since defending Eddie O'Sullivan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

utter lols.

i suppose you are another Georgia disciple eh?

pray tell, brother, tell me the great story of the Georgia game, how we struck a mighty blow for rugby and Ireland.

Fantasy begets fantasy.

Utter lols? Seriously?

Is it not exhausting just being completely miserable all the time, that's what I don't understand.

nah i just try to fight bull**** at all times.

same lads who defended EOS back in the day saying Pat Lam was basically a load of ****e. laughable.

forums a joke really.

AF hasn;t a hope, and people using Georgia game to defend him.

Like man its laughter lounge stuff.

bayern wrote: »
    Utter lols? Seriously?

yeah you're one of the worst on here for fantasy.

i suppose you agree Lam winning pro 14 was basically just the same ol same ol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well this has escalated quickly :eek:

You used the Georgia game, it took away from your argument.

And I also used the two more recent games - yet you've continued to disregard that because God forbid you get proven wrong in a debate - and you continue to latch onto a trivial piece of information. Open your mind and you might learn something.

And don't worry - if **** goes tits up I'll recognise it and change tune. But you're Farrell Out agenda is incredibly premature

• Advertisement

yeah you're one of the worst on here for fantasy.

i suppose you agree Lam winning pro 14 was basically just the same ol same ol.

What fantasy is that?

i'm willing to wait till Scottish match. i'll hold my hand up if Ire get a good win after a bold italy selection.

There's no pint us arguing. its been ****e and any honesty will have us arrive at that viewpoint.

lets hope it gets better.

i'm willing to wait till Scottish match. i'll hold my hand up if Ire get a good win after a bold italy selection.

There's no pint us arguing. its been ****e and any honesty will have us arrive at that viewpoint.

lets hope it gets better.

Fair - we are adjourned.

For what it's worth I agree that what Lam did with Connacht was incredible. The point I was getting at when I first replied to you was the difference between integrating a culture at international vs club level, a fair comment from Lost Ormond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I see Neil Treacy is weighing in on the JGP and Burns debate, with a well reasoned and fair handed argument on Eamonn Sweeny's sindo piece that basically boils down to.... "dey tuk our jobs"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see Neil Treacy is weighing in on the JGP and Burns debate, with a well reasoned and fair handed argument that basically boils down to.... "dey tuk our jobs"

Neil who??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Neil who??

I deleted a line by mistake
    ..hang on

I deleted a line by mistake
    ..hang on

I'm slightly messing.

I know who he is, just don't rate him as a top rugby journo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So stand out IQ players this weekend...

My picks...

Leinster
    Jack Conan
    Luke McGrath

Ulster
    John Cooney
    Ian Madigan
    Michael Lowry

Connacht (haven't seen their match yet, but have seen Wootten's tries)
    Alex Wootten

Munster
    Craig Casey
    Gavin Coombes
    Billy Holland

Anyone else? How did Carty get on?

Not that much of this will matter as it will be dismissed as just the Pro 14.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I'm slightly messing.

I know who he is, just don't rate him as a top rugby journo

No, he was defending the players... Sweeney doing the hatchet job is what I was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Billy Holland for Ireland.

• Advertisement

No, he was defending the players... Sweeney doing the hatchet job is what I was saying

Ah fair enough, I read that sweeney piece

Thinly veiled xenophobia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I mean look if we're so willing to dismiss the pro 14 as many on here are, we might as well chuck it all in
    aloof loves gong back in time.

See, you want to have a go at me personally here, but the reality is not too long ago on here you were equally dismissive of Pro 14 games:
    Players will want to play, not only in mickey mouse pro 14 games.

Instead of actually discussing what you want to see, you instead declare yourself "proven right" along with all kinds of rhetoric. I really don't see what it adds to the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

aloooof wrote: »
    See, you want to have a go at me personally here, but the reality is not too long ago on here you were equally dismissive of Pro 14 games:

Instead of actually discussing what you want to see, you instead declare yourself "proven right" along with all kinds of rhetoric. I really don't see what it adds to the conversation.

Ow it burns! Somebody call the fire brigade for Niallo

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I made an attempt this weekend to forget everything I had read in the media and online and assess all the 10s playing based on performance and, shock horror, Ross Byrne looked like a much more matured and developed player than his brother, who impressed in flashes. Jack Carty orchestrated some sublime attacks and had the odd loose kick.

Madigan was Madigan. Haven't seen the Munster game yet, but assume JJ was JJ. Based on this weekend Jack and Ross were the 2 best out halfs I saw, And were quite different. I'd be hopeful Harry might develop into a quality player.

Funny enough, exactly the same opinion I had of them last week. Can the Harry Byrne for Ireland BS please take a week off now

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Anyone responding to Niallof9 like there’s a legitimate discussion to be had is wasting their own time. He’s only here to bitch and moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    So stand out IQ players this weekend...

My picks...

Leinster
    Jack Conan
    Luke McGrath

Ulster
    John Cooney
    Ian Madigan
    Michael Lowry

Connacht (haven't seen their match yet, but have seen Wootten's tries)
    Alex Wootten

Munster
    Craig Casey
    Gavin Coombes
    Billy Holland

Anyone else? How did Carty get on?

Not that much of this will matter as it will be dismissed as just the Pro 14.

Didn't get to see the Ulster game but I don't think anyone will have done enough to force themselves into the Irish team from those that I saw. I'm being hypercritical but watching with the mindset of whether the showings called for test inclusion, I don't feel many did their chances enough.

The two stand outs were Conan and Casey for me. They're both probably closer to selection (especially Casey) than the others but I don't think we're going to see them leapfrog incumbents.

Conan has had back to back MOTM awards now but it's too late for him, I feel. He'd certainly offer something different for the Irish back row in terms of a dynamic carrier which is sorely missing but, given his absence, I don't see him being involved now. Casey was very tidy. Nothing spectacular, took his try well and passed snappily. Most impressed with his bossing of the pack.

In terms of the outhalf battle, HB had a very nondescript game. Stuck one restart on the full and really didn't spark anything. The best pieces of play came from Ross who wasn't flawless but was tidy. He kicked perfectly from the tee and put in a couple of lovely kicks. He also kicked one dead and I thought he again showed a lack of willingness to attack space when kicking it away against 13 men.

Carty was Carty. He had the best spell of play of any outhalf this weekend in the second quarter last night. Distributed well and showed a beautiful touch to open Cardiff up for the second try. But that was sandwiched between a restart on the full, an unforced forward pass when camped in opposition 22 and a poor penalty kicked dead.

I was hoping for more from Chris Farrell. He worked hard but didn't have much impact in a game where I'd have thought his carrying could have been utilised more. Daly saw little ball either but looked very composed and made good decisions when it did.

In terms of other forwards, Coombes was prominent. Carried well but slipped off two tackles in his own 22 leading to Edinburgh linebreaks. Harsh to quibble about such things but if we're looking for reasons as to why he was sent back from Irish camp, those are potentially examples.

Baird was busy but not eye catching and won't be able to get into an Irish 23 without some more demanding performances. Similar story for Kleyn who was less eye catching again.

All in all, Casey might remain in the 23 (hopefully). Others could offer something different but I don't see Irish management choosing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I don't understand your very first sentence. You didn't watch the game. What did you watch?

Edit: aah, you mean the other three games. I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Buer wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the Ulster game but I don't think anyone will have done enough to force themselves into the Irish team from those that I saw. I'm being hypercritical but watching with the mindset of whether the showings called for test inclusion, I don't feel many did their chances enough.

The two stand outs were Conan and Casey for me. They're both probably closer to selection (especially Casey) than the others but I don't think we're going to see them leapfrog incumbents.

Conan has had back to back MOTM awards now but it's too late for him, I feel. He'd certainly offer something different for the Irish back row in terms of a dynamic carrier which is sorely missing but, given his absence, I don't see him being involved now. Casey was very tidy. Nothing spectacular, took his try well and passed snappily. Most impressed with his bossing of the pack.

In terms of the outhalf battle, HB had a very nondescript game. Stuck one restart on the full and really didn't spark anything. The best pieces of play came from Ross who wasn't flawless but was tidy. He kicked perfectly from the tee and put in a couple of lovely kicks. He also kicked one dead and I thought he again showed a lack of willingness to attack space when kicking it away against 13 men.

Carty was Carty. He had the best spell of play of any outhalf this weekend in the second quarter last night. Distributed well and showed a beautiful touch to open Cardiff up for the second try. But that was sandwiched between a restart on the full, an unforced forward pass when camped in opposition 22 and a poor penalty kicked dead.

I was hoping for more from Chris Farrell. He worked hard but didn't have much impact in a game where I'd have thought his carrying could have been utilised more. Daly saw little ball either but looked very composed and made good decisions when it did.

In terms of other forwards, Coombes was prominent. Carried well but slipped off two tackles in his own 22 leading to Edinburgh linebreaks. Harsh to quibble about such things but if we're looking for reasons as to why he was sent back from Irish camp, those are potentially examples.

Baird was busy but not eye catching and won't be able to get into an Irish 23 without some more demanding performances. Similar story for Kleyn who was less eye catching again.

All in all, Casey might remain in the 23 (hopefully). Others could offer something different but I don't see Irish management choosing to do so.
    Posts like these are the reason I visit the forum. Too much irrelevant nonsense spoken here these days.

Regarding Baird, he's such a good ball-carrier, I think it's a mistake not having him involved with Ireland. Even on his quiet days for Leinster he has some terrific tight carries. I'd have him on the bench covering lock and back-row.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Obviously he's not in contention for Ireland but every time I see an LI matchday squad these days SOB is on the bench (if he's there at all). Not going too well for him?

• Advertisement

Obviously he's not in contention for Ireland but every time I see an LI matchday squad these days SOB is on the bench (if he's there at all). Not going too well for him?

Body isn't up to 80 minutes.

Advertisement