Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

Conway looked very rusty for Munster last weekend.
    Shane Daly on the other hand looked great. I can't understand Earls on the bench and I'm the biggest Earls fan.

Earls can step into midfield or wing and is probably the best defensive back three in the squad. I think if Casey is to come on at 9, having someone of Earls's experience and familiarity with Casey is no harm.

With Sexton struggling to get near 80 minutes of late and the possibility that Larmour could have another bad day under the highball in addition to having a somewhat inexperienced backup 10 (at international level) the inclusion of Earls makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    Well alas, it's a big enough step that Ireland have failed to do it at every single attempt.

There is no point talking about us winning a world cup. We aren't going to go from never winning a knockout game to winning 3 knockout games in a row and lifting a trophy in one go. It's absurd.

Ah right. It’s absurd?

What’s the based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Conway looked very rusty for Munster last weekend.
    Shane Daly on the other hand looked great. I can't understand Earls on the bench and I'm the biggest Earls fan.

I thought Conway had some brilliant moments last week, he spilled a kick and sent a grubber too long but I think he grew into the game and made some great breaks.

Earls is ideal at 23 for this game I'd have thought if not someone like Conway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Fredinho wrote: »
    Can't be long before Leo and the rest of the Leinster team get a call up at this rate. In fact might be best if we send out a full leinster 15.

Farrell should be gone at the end of this six nations. He's added nothing to the set up. Giving a guy who's never been a head coach before an international head coaches role is coming home to roost now.

Not sure how Ulster, Munster and especially Connaught fans would feel about that 23, but I'm sure they're happy their front lines players are getting a rest before the remainder of the club season.

4 proud provnces, my boli%x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

where is the irish team from?

Hugo Keenan(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jordan Larmour(Dublin/Leinster)
    Garry Ringrose(Dublin/Leinster)
    Robbie Henshaw(Westmeath/Leinster)
    James Lowe(New Zealand)
    Jonathan Sexton(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jamison Gibson Park(New Zealand)
    Dave Kilcoyne(Limerick/Munster)
    Ronan Kelleher(Dublin/Leinster)
    Tadhg Furlong(Wexford/Leinster)
    Iain Henderson(Antrim/Ulster)
    James Ryan(Dublin/Leinster)
    Tadhg Beirne(Kildare/Leinster)
    Will Connors(Kildare/Leinster)
    CJ Stander(South Africa)

Replacements:
    Rob Herring(South Africa)
    Cian Healy(Dublin/Leinster)
    Andrew Porter(Dublin/Leinster)
    Ryan Baird(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jack Conan(Wicklow/Leinster)
    Craig Casey(Limerick/Munster)
    Billy Burns(England)
    Keith Earls(Limerick/Munster)

Leinster - 14
    Munster - 3
    South Africa - 2
    New Zealand - 2
    England - 1
    Ulster - 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bayern wrote: »

AllKindAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah right. It’s absurd?

What’s the based on?

Past experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

bayern wrote: »

Hugo Keenan(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jordan Larmour(Dublin/Leinster)
    Garry Ringrose(Dublin/Leinster)
    Robbie Henshaw(Westmeath/Leinster)
    James Lowe(New Zealand)
    Jonathan Sexton(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jamison Gibson Park(New Zealand)
    Dave Kilcoyne(Limerick/Munster)
    Ronan Kelleher(Dublin/Leinster)
    Tadhg Furlong(Wexford/Leinster)
    Iain Henderson(Antrim/Ulster)
    James Ryan(Dublin/Leinster)
    Tadhg Beirne(Kildare/Leinster)
    Will Connors(Kildare/Leinster)
    CJ Stander(South Africa)

Replacements:
    Rob Herring(South Africa)
    Cian Healy(Dublin/Leinster)
    Andrew Porter(Dublin/Leinster)
    Ryan Baird(Dublin/Leinster)
    Jack Conan(Wicklow/Leinster)
    Craig Casey(Limerick/Munster)
    Billy Burns(England)
    Keith Earls(Limerick/Munster)

Leinster - 14
    Munster - 3
    South Africa - 2
    New Zealand - 2
    England - 1
    Ulster - 1

England 1 connacht 0

Earls can step into midfield or wing and is probably the best defensive back three in the squad. I think if Casey is to come on at 9, having someone of Earls's experience and familiarity with Casey is no harm.

Shane Daly can cover centre. He's only had one start there for Munster but is still listed as one.

There's an all-Leinster back division. It would be the perfect opportunity to plug in Daly. I don't see what we gain from using Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

To be fair to Earls, despite his age, he still offers a bit of zip, wouldn't fancy trying to tackle him coming off the bench with 20 to go, he's a nightmare for tired legs.
    Daly probably could have got a run, but against Italy it wouldn't be much of a debut, better to keep his debut to face Scotland maybe.

• Advertisement

To be fair to Earls, despite his age, he still offers a bit of zip, wouldn't fancy trying to tackle him coming off the bench with 20 to go, he's a nightmare for tired legs.
    Daly probably could have got a run, but against Italy it wouldn't be much of a debut, better to keep his debut to face Scotland maybe.

It's highly unlikely Daly has any involvement at this stage, barring injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It's highly unlikely Daly has any involvement at this stage, barring injury.

Agree, though I'd have him in ahead of Lowe for the next match regardless.

I might be late to this but Carbery is back!!
    On the bench tomorrow v Cardiff
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/joey-carbery-set-for-munster-return-against-cardiff-on-friday-1.4494253

Best news in Irish rugby for.....12 months+

really hope that there is a chance that he is "fixed"

with the likes of H Byrne, Healy etc so far back on the experience curve Carberry could hopefully be the answer if he can come back as good or hopefully better and push on to greater things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With Murray out will John Cooney miss the ospreys game to travel to Italy as emergency back up cover at 9 like the France game?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

AllKindAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

LoOk HoW BrIlL lEInster aRe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Leinster have dominated the pro 14 the past 3 seasons why are we pretending we're shocked everytime they make up the majority of an Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Lmao imagine classifying Henshaw as a Leinster player because he was born in Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well alas, it's a big enough step that Ireland have failed to do it at every single attempt.

There is no point talking about us winning a world cup. We aren't going to go from never winning a knockout game to winning 3 knockout games in a row and lifting a trophy in one go. It's absurd.

Its entirely possible to do. Wales, IIRC, had never won a knock-out game until 2011. They then made a SF and came within a score of beating France despite Warburtons red card. Keep 15 men on the field and they probably win that game. They are then 1 win away from doing exactly what you think is absurd.

I'd agree with others here. Leinster made a couple of HEC SFs before 2009. We weren't celebrating that success. Quite the opposite in fact. You have to get to a SF to make a Final, but you don't celebrate SF losses. And knowing Irish sports fans and journos, we'd go into that SF believing we can win it and the disappointment in not doing so wouldn't be at all tempered by the fact that we got there. We'd get a lot of "this was our chance and we didn't take it" type guff.

Wales won 2 games more than us in the last few RWCs. In the first they beat us when our coach made the same mistake he'd been making all year and continued to make after the RWC. Not being able to decide who his starting half backs were. The issue for us there was not RWC related at all. We'd seen the issue in the 6Ns before it and we saw the issue in the 6Ns after it. The second time Wales had a far easier draw than we did. And I'd contend that had fortunes gone the other way and we drew France in the QF with Wales drawing SA or NZ, we'd have made the SF and they wouldn't have. And this "Wales are better than us at RWCs" lark wouldn't be a thing.

Leinster have dominated the pro 14 the past 3 seasons why are we pretending we're shocked everytime they make up the majority of an Ireland team.

No-one is shocked. No-one is pretending to be shocked.

Just responding to posters doing the usual "this is a riveting factual breakdown for purely informative reasons and not all another in an endless grind of posts obsessing about how important Leinster are."

Ask Bayern why he's so fascinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

LoOk HoW BrIlL lEInster aRe!

If you insist...

:p

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see the Leinster backline run rings around Italy.

I predict a heads-up, off-the-cuff, champagne fizz of Garry Ringrose kicking away possession on overlaps and Lowe waving through opposition players.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

What the h3ll is the story with the bench as well? Surely you want to give the likes of Tom O'Toole, Bealham, Dave Heffernan, Coombes, Ross Byrne a decent run there. Even Daly or Aki.

And fair enough, Leinster have been dominating for the last few years but it's not as if the other provinces have been struggling this year, plenty of decent players in good form at the moment at other provinces.

I dont like changing for the sake of change but I think Farrell should go after this 6N. I was never too enthralled at the idea of promoting from within but with a ship as tightly run as Schmidt's was, a bit of a break from that sounds like it would have been welcomed. That said, you'd have to wonder who'd be interested in the gig now, prob too soon for Rog if he even wants the gig.

Past experience.

Well that’s totally worthless anyway.

Every team who won the World Cup did it for the first time at some point. South Africa won it for the first time in their first ever final or semi final. Totally absurd stuff I guess!

We don’t need to start making excuses for losing a semi final before we’ve ever even been in one. It’s not that scary.

• Administrators Posts: 53,821 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    Its entirely possible to do. Wales, IIRC, had never won a knock-out game until 2011. They then made a SF and came within a score of beating France despite Warburtons red card. Keep 15 men on the field and they probably win that game. They are then 1 win away from doing exactly what you think is absurd.

I'd agree with others here. Leinster made a couple of HEC SFs before 2009. We weren't celebrating that success. Quite the opposite in fact. You have to get to a SF to make a Final, but you don't celebrate SF losses. And knowing Irish sports fans and journos, we'd go into that SF believing we can win it and the disappointment in not doing so wouldn't be at all tempered by the fact that we got there. We'd get a lot of "this was our chance and we didn't take it" type guff.

Wales won 2 games more than us in the last few RWCs. In the first they beat us when our coach made the same mistake he'd been making all year and continued to make after the RWC. Not being able to decide who his starting half backs were. The issue for us there was not RWC related at all. We'd seen the issue in the 6Ns before it and we saw the issue in the 6Ns after it. The second time Wales had a far easier draw than we did. And I'd contend that had fortunes gone the other way and we drew France in the QF with Wales drawing SA or NZ, we'd have made the SF and they wouldn't have. And this "Wales are better than us at RWCs" lark wouldn't be a thing.

Nobody is talking about celebrating a semi final. There'll be no calls for an open top bus tour.

Can't wait to see the Leinster backline run rings around Italy.

I predict a heads-up, off-the-cuff, champagne fizz of Garry Ringrose kicking away possession on overlaps and Lowe waving through opposition players.

Which international side do you support exactly?

Which international side do you support exactly?

Ireland. But I sometimes say things I don't really mean to try to stop the constant, tedious boastful prattle of Leinster fans.

Leinster fans are the England fans of Ireland.

TRUFAX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

Hopefully the team can start clicking against Italy and gain a bit of confidence. Should be an entertaining game if they keep the error count down.

If they can improve and carry the form into the Scotland game for another win then maybe there might be enough momentum and confidence to make the England game a good match up.

Looking forward to the game.

Ireland. But I sometimes say things I don't really mean to try to stop the constant, tedious boastful prattle of Leinster fans.

Where is this tedious boastful prattle of Leinster fans exactly?

In all seriousness, hopefully it does build a bit of confidence. Would love things to start clicking.

• Advertisement

Where is this tedious boastful prattle of Leinster fans exactly?

On the boards.ie interweb forum.

Amongst others.

Advertisement