Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

easy peasy wrote: »
    While I don't agree with POM getting a central contract, I think the decision may have been made as a more big picture move.

Munster have four centrally contracted players, Earls, Murray, Stander and O'Mahony. Earls is up in the summer, as is Stander. Realistically Earls won't renew and that will go to Jordan Larmour or Hugo Keenan or won't be given to anyone. Stander will hopefully sign on but if he doesn't, that one is going to Doris.

This would leave Munster with two and Leinster with 9-10? This obviously doesn't work and would mean Munster would seriously struggle to balance the books while Leinster would be able to afford a massive squad.

Maybe POM was just the wrong man in the right place.

That's a great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jesus.

I could have done without seeing that today. :mad:

Ha...I realised after I typed it that I'll have hit the half century by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

bilston wrote: »
    Ha...I realised after I typed it that I'll have hit the half century by then!

Only a couple behind ya. Can't wait to see Buer's speech at your party tbh.

The collective "Shut Up Buer" will be something to behold.

Excuse me while I go an puke into my own scorn at your reminder of my own mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Bilston you really were on a roll yesterday weren't you? Reminding us all of a lack of pints & social life before reminding us all that we're getting old.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

BANHAMMER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nah lads, we’ll all be in our 30s...

The 2030s ....

CCz63thC_400x400.jpg

No pictures of Ainsley, please and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

easy peasy wrote: »
    While I don't agree with POM getting a central contract, I think the decision may have been made as a more big picture move.

Munster have four centrally contracted players, Earls, Murray, Stander and O'Mahony. Earls is up in the summer, as is Stander. Realistically Earls won't renew and that will go to Jordan Larmour or Hugo Keenan or won't be given to anyone. Stander will hopefully sign on but if he doesn't, that one is going to Doris.

This would leave Munster with two and Leinster with 9-10? This obviously doesn't work and would mean Munster would seriously struggle to balance the books while Leinster would be able to afford a massive squad.

Maybe POM was just the wrong man in the right place.

Doesn't the IRFU pay all IQ players playing for the 4 provinces? In fact, bar a few exceptions I think they pay all the players playing for the 4 provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

No pictures of Ainsley, please and thanks.

Can't be dealing with a raging horn this hour of the morn?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

phog wrote: »
    Doesn't the IRFU pay all IQ players playing for the 4 provinces? In fact, bar a few exceptions I think they pay all the players playing for the 4 provinces.

They do, in the way of assigning budgets to each province and provincial contracts are paid from that. Central contracts are outside of that budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

POM got his central contract on merit lads.

The idea that he got one because Leinster have loads and Munster need to keep theirs doesn't really square with Ulster only having two and Connacht one.

Can't be dealing with a raging horn this hour of the morn?

MMMMMMOOOOOOOOODS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

POM got his central contract on merit lads.

The idea that he got one because Leinster have loads and Munster need to keep theirs doesn't really square with Ulster only having two and Connacht one.

I agree although the amount of central contracts also reflects the amount of internationals in a set up anyway. Leinster regularly have 13/14 on international duty so need more quality depth than others. There is a sort of innate fairness in the system too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

molloyjh wrote: »
    Bilston you really were on a roll yesterday weren't you? Reminding us all of a lack of pints & social life before reminding us all that we're getting old.....

Getting??????????????? Some of us are already there.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Healy signs once year contract extension.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Healy signs once year contract extension.

Good hes getting on but is still our starting lh. It will be very interesting to see how the opinions on this mesh with the opinions on pom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Killer, Byrne and EOS haven't really had the chance to establish themselves as better than Healy so you can't really complain. Some man to hit rucks Cian in fairness - even if he has Popsicles for fingers at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Killer, Byrne and EOS haven't really had the chance to establish themselves as better than Healy so you can't really complain. Some man to hit rucks Cian in fairness - even if he has Popsicles for fingers at this stage

If Killer gets a good, injury-free run, I could see him getting the starting spot ahead of Healy. Our scrum platform has been very good this 6 Nations tho, and he's a big part of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭roverjoyce

They don't get the chance as the unwritten rule of having to pick centrally contracted players continues to happen

Why not let him go under contract at Leinster and is he is good enough he plays, he is at that age where he wouldn't be looking abroad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

roverjoyce wrote: »
    They don't get the chance as the unwritten rule of having to pick centrally contracted players continues to happen

It doesn't. Toner, Jack McGrath, Aki and POM have all suffered various degrees of being left out of the 15 to being dropped from the squad while centrally contracted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

aloooof wrote: »
    It doesn't. Toner, Jack McGrath, Aki and POM have all suffered various degrees of being left out of the 15 to being dropped from the squad while centrally contracted.

Come on alooof.

You're letting facts get in the way of a good narrative here

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

obviously thats false.....

unless youre trying to argue some metaphysical Schrodinger's cat of something that can both exist and not exist at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

nerd69 wrote: »
    Good hes getting on but is still our starting lh. It will be very interesting to see how the opinions on this mesh with the opinions on pom

The difference between Healy and POM is there is no obvious replacement for Healy. Kilcoyne is the next best but he is a year younger? And not obviously better. In POM's case there are a lot contenders who are younger and look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Why not let him go under contract at Leinster and is he is good enough he plays, he is at that age where he wouldn't be looking abroad

Jack McGrath
    Devin Toner
    Peter O'Mahony
    Conor Murray
    Bundee Aki
    Robbie Henshaw
    Keith Earls
    Rob Kearney

All have been either dropped or not selected while centrally contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

nerd69 wrote: »

Unfortunately Healy is still our top loose head and with his back up only a year younger and not an obvious upgrade on him. In an ideal world Porter would be out next loose head and Healy then wouldn't get a central contract. Loose head and hoooker is a real area of weakness for Ireland at the moment. Apples and oranges scenario with healy and Pom

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's going to quite a bloodbath for extensions for 2022/23.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

There's going to quite a bloodbath for extensions for 2022/23.

I'd imagine IRFU are going to have friends back, but more money in the coffers to ease the burden.

Not sure of who's contacts are up but behind 2023 I think we'll be saying good bye to a lot of the current squad.

Healy, Herring, POM, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Earls will all be gone for definite sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Fredinho wrote: »
    I'd imagine IRFU are going to have friends back, but more money in the coffers to ease the burden.

Not sure of who's contacts are up but behind 2023 I think we'll be saying good bye to a lot of the current squad.

Healy, Herring, POM, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Earls will all be gone for definite sure.

Is Herring on a central deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

What do people think about farrell courting the lions assistant coach position?

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What do people think about farrell courting the lions assistant coach position?

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

Could learn an awful lot from coaching the Lions and be better for it.

Advertisement