Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

What do people think about farrell courting the lions assistant coach position?

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

If he is available to Gatland, Gatland will take him as he is a World Class assistant coach but perhaps not a world class head (based on evidence so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Could learn an awful lot from coaching the Lions and be better for it.

He could... but he could learn an awful lot about some of the younger irish players by coaching them and gaining head coach experience on a tour which he needs prior to world cup.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He could... but he could learn an awful lot about some of the younger irish players by coaching them and gaining head coach experience on a tour which he needs prior to world cup.

what tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Did Wales fans care when Gatland left to do the Lions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Loose head certainly is problematic. Healy looks slow and underpowered in the loose. Kilcoyne only a year younger. I can understand why Healy got the contract and fair play to him. But, one loose head surely must raise his head over the parapet over the next year!
    I think Killer will pass Healy over the next year. He's so much better as a carrying threat. But behind him?
    Ed Byrne to me doesn't cut the mustard. He's a good player and is mobile, but he's not international class, imo. E.O.S is probably the next in line. He needs to up him game a bit, obviously. I reckon he can do a job for us and I 'd be surprised if he's not in the 23 next year.

We're low on quality at loose head and moving Porter back would be nuts, imo. Who becomes the back up tight head? O'Toole is favorite and I think is not ready yet.

The top young loose heads would be
    Wycherly, a long way off atm
    Milne, a long way off
    Duggan, I haven't seen much of him
    Liam O'Connor, needs to get past Cronin.

James Cronin is an option. But he is 30 years old and hasn't made a camp in years. Dennis Buckley is 30 and has not made a camp. Peter Dooley is a good provincial player. Jack McGrath hasn't got back to form and is 31.

I suppose the coaching team will stick with Healy and Kilcoyne until there's a viable alternative.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    what tour?

A potential tour in Australia taking on Pacific Island teams..

Did Wales fans care when Gatland left to do the Lions?

Good point. However he took a 6 months plus sabbatical to be lions head coach. He had head coach experience with Wales and a world cup under his belt.

We are talking about a head coach with less than 2 years head coach experience leaving his team mid world cup cycle to be an assistant coach. Id like to know where his priorities lie.

Obviously if we have no irish tour you'd imagine
    there will be some summer camp arranged for players not playing lions rugby this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Yeah this is rumored alright, nothing will be confirmed until the end of the month they've said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

What do people think about farrell courting the lions assistant coach position?

Obviously no guarantee a lions tour will go ahead and also no guarantee of an Irish tour this summer either v the Pacific island teams over there or in oz.

I think if he prioritises a potential back up role on the lions v south africa over his head coach position with ireland he should close the door behind himself on his way out.

Some could argue the point that a lot of irelands main players would be on the lions and playing against South africa who we will meet at the world cup.

But for me this summer 2 years out from a world cup working with a lot of younger fringe players potentially winning their first caps and being in camp for 5 or 6 weeks is more important than his personal gratification of being involved in the lions.

Has Farrell said he is going on the Lions tour or even thinking about it?

How many matches on the tour? I would like to see us play Japan. Or Fiji!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    How many matches on the tour? I would like to see us play Japan. Or Fiji!!

Australia need money and they lost out on the 2 game tour last season. I expect they will want the 2 games plus maybe a pacific island team in Aus

pipe dream at this stage

if the lions games are confirmed ahead of any irish tour being confirmed, then of course he should go with the lions.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Australia need money and they lost out on the 2 game tour last season. I expect they will want the 2 games plus maybe a pacific island team in Aus

I think Australia are playing France in a 3 game tour this summer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    pipe dream at this stage

if the lions games are confirmed ahead of any irish tour being confirmed, then of course he should go with the lions.

I doubt the irfu want to give players the months of May( if dont get to h Cup finals) June and July off..

If no tours you'd imagine they will be playing Wales or Scotland or similar over 3 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dublin49

Carty playing well and kicking well,should be closer to another cap than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

dublin49 wrote: »

You're ignoring half of his performance presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

dublin49 wrote: »

Tbh I think he's shown exactly why he can't get into the Ireland squad

Mixed the good with the bad. Haley did more for his Irish chances than Carty IMO.

Can see Thornbury picking up a cap this Summer if some of Beirne, Ryan, Henderson go Lions touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Too late for Haley to get into the Irish squad this time but if we're going on a summer tour, he's firmly in the conversation.

Carty was Carty yet again. Sublime moments punctured by incredibly basic errors. I don't think there's another 10 that would have executed that grubber and break in the shoulder. The awareness and pass for the opening try was great.

Then he also managed to get blocked down, kick it dead, miss touch and lose 40m with a long, off target pass which turned if over on halfway. He makes it very easy to ignore him as a potential test option.

The best performer from those released was Aki (who isn't going to feature at this stage barring injury regardless). Casey was grand. Great delivery but blocked down twice I think. Murray on form is still a better option overall as unpalatable as that may be to some.

JOD was good again but not going to be in the conversation due to the options in the back row. Blade was good but similar situation.

Conway clearly isn't right. He doesn't have any business at Carton House currently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Buer wrote: »
    Too late for Haley to get into the Irish squad this time but if we're going on a summer tour, he's firmly in the conversation.

Carty was Carty yet again. Sublime moments punctured by incredibly basic errors. I don't think there's another 10 that would have executed that grubber and break in the shoulder. The awareness and pass for the opening try was great.

Then he also managed to get blocked down, kick it dead, miss touch and lose 40m with a long, off target pass which turned if over on halfway. He makes it very easy to ignore him as a potential test option.

The best performer from those released was Aki (who isn't going to feature at this stage barring injury regardless). Casey was grand. Great delivery but blocked down twice I think. Murray on form is still a better option overall as unpalatable as that may be to some.

JOD was good again but not going to be in the conversation due to the options in the back row. Blade was good but similar situation.

Conway clearly isn't right. He doesn't have any business at Carton House currently.

In terms of Ireland camp, I don’t think Shane Daly was bad 2nite, bit it felt like had one of his poorer games this season. Tho he was on the periphery at points as well, thru no fault of his own. He was always unlikely to get much game time, but I don’t think he’s advanced his case 2nite.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the scores from the premiership. Some cliffhangers there. L.I scored 32 and lost by 1.
    I also notice that McGinty is humming along nicely for Sale! Anyone think we lost out on the good 10. Would he have been in the conversation?

Just looked at the scores from the premiership. Some cliffhangers there. L.I scored 32 and lost by 1.
    I also notice that McGinty is humming along nicely for Sale! Anyone think we lost out on the good 10. Would he have been in the conversation?

LI game really wasn't close.

It was 33 - 18 on 79 mins... Wayne Barnes was instrumental in Irish getting the LBP and TBP.
    Fair dues to them for turning down a LBP pen to kick to the corner and scoring from the resultant maul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Buer wrote: »

Agree with all of that bar Conway, what did he do so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

leakyboots wrote: »
    Agree with all of that bar Conway, what did he do so wrong?

I was distracted by a cranky baby here but I barely noticed he was playing. He certainly didn't seem to have any influence on the game. Not sure what Buer is referring to about not being right?

Zzippy wrote: »
    I was distracted by a cranky baby here but I barely noticed he was playing. He certainly didn't seem to have any influence on the game. Not sure what Buer is referring to about not being right?

He made one defensive error for the try and then another that was spared by a pass not going to hand.

He made one defensive error for the try and then another that was spared by a pass not going to hand.

First one he got done by Aki - just enough legal contact to knock him off balance and stop him making the read out the back.

The second one - are you on about the pass Carty threw over the wingers head? Would you not say that it was Conway coming into the space that forced that error?

The second one - are you on about the pass Carty threw over the wingers head? Would you not say that it was Conway coming into the space that forced that error?

You might be right, one to watch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

First one he got done by Aki - just enough legal contact to knock him off balance and stop him making the read out the back.

On your own line, usually its actually the full back who covers the last man. Nevertheless it was phenomenal vision and skill by Carty to pull that pass off but munster were caught extremely narrow there.

Possibly but his rise to become a Premiership outhalf is incredibly improbably. He didn't really feature at underage level but took a few chances that came his way and turned some heads at the Rugby World Cup. Most players in Ireland have to be top in their position to make it to a World Cup. McGinty did the world cup first and then became a professional outhalf.

Great story, but I don't think you can blame anyone in Ireland. We wouldn't know who he is if he hadn't gotten that shot with the US team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »

He has missed a chunk of rugby in recent times for personal reasons whatever they are. He has looked a shadow of the guy he was 12 months ago. Largely anonymous and making a couple of notable errors each game.

Maybe he's just completely lost form. Either way, guys like Wootton, DK and Haley all deserve calls into the Ireland squad ahead of him at this point.

Advertisement