Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TRC10 wrote: »
    The key numbers there are
    ROG as head coach: 1 season
    Leo as head coach: 5 seasons

If it was defense or attack coach. It's ROG all day long.

Leo has more and superior experience as a HEAD COACH.

so when was the question reduced to those specifics?
    perhaps you should go back and read the original question again??

Leo also has much more experience as being leinster coach... not the point though.

ROG has worked in 3 different club environments, therefore he has 3 times the experience of Leo in working with players. ROG has worked with 3 times the amount of other coaches than Leo. ROG has coached three different aspects of play compared to Leos one.

see how easy this is to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Kidney has more experience than the lot and seems to be doing well with L.Irish - perhaps we should bring him back?

Or maybe Bernard Jackman?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Dubinusa wrote: »
    So, anyone think Farrell will get an extension?

#4MoreYears

Kidney has more experience than the lot and seems to be doing well with L.Irish - perhaps we should bring him back?

the choice was ROG and Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

My pick for Scotland
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    6. Beirne
    7. Connors
    8. Standrr
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

16. Kelleher
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Furlong
    19. Dillane
    20 . Conan
    21. Murray
    22. Burns
    23 . Lowe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The key numbers there are
    ROG as head coach: 1 season
    Leo as head coach: 5 seasons

If it was defense or attack coach. It's ROG all day long.

Leo has more and superior experience as a HEAD COACH.
    ROG has far superior experience coaching in a wide range of clubs competing in multiple competitions from different countries which outweighs plenty of what Leo has done.
    So, anyone think Farrell will get an extension?
    Too early. Is signed up until 2023 why would you talk about an extension so far out?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so when was the question reduced to those specifics?
    perhaps you should go back and read the original question again??

Leo also have much more experience as being leinster coach... not the point though.

ROG has worked in 3 different club environments, therefore he has 3 times the experience of Leo in working players. ROG has worked with 3 times the amount of other coaches than Leo. ROG has coached three different aspects of play compared to Leos one.

see how easy this is to do?

That's all great, but if we're talking about a HEAD COACH position, ROG needs more time in that role before he's considered for said role with Ireland. Leo has a lot more experience and success in the HEAD COACH role.

Us Irish of all people should know why appointing someone with a lot of experience as an assistant, but no experience as a HEAD COACH is a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

ROG has far superior experience coaching in a wide range of clubs competing in multiple competitions from different countries which outweighs plenty of what Leo has done.

No it doesn't
    Plus it was two competition, the Top 14 and Super Rugby versus the Pro14.

They have both worked in the European cup, only one has won it as a Head Coach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

How about Leo head coach with ROG as assistant, best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

VANG1 wrote: »

Away with you and your logical reasoning. We must establish one as the true heir and banish the other into obscurity!

• Advertisement

of course... many different combinations would be preferable

but again, thats not the choice that was offered

it was a simple, pick one right now.... ROG or Leo

But then we can't have a brutal, bloodthirsty, fight to the death internet discussion.

You really should think about these things, you think you know everything but you really know nothing.

Its the way England have gone. Just hire all the best coachs and have someone to deal with the medai

So hire
    Leo
    Lancaster
    POC
    ROG

Boom

sydthebeat wrote: »
    of course... many different combinations would be preferable

but again, thats not the choice that was offered

it was a simple, pick one right now.... ROG or Leo

I would pick neither at this moment in time. Even after the WC in France I would still think they are very young in coaching career

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As annoying as this argument really is, I’d like to point out that possibly for the first time on boards it’s not all falling based on provincial bias.

sebdavis wrote: »
    I would pick neither at this moment in time. .

:rolleyes:

yeah... great response to the question of "if you had to pick A or B which would you pick".....

Only one man for the job really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,679 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    As annoying as this argument really is, I’d like to point out that possibly for the first time on boards it’s not all falling based on provincial bias.

I've been a Munster sleeper agent all along deployed by thomond to rile up Leinster fans it seems.

Long live John Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Six month clause very likely to mean finances aren’t huge factor. The coaching staff have to be paid for those six months whether they stay or not. They might be on voluntary reduction currently which may not be included if six month payoff being made.

At the most during the six months there will be a couple of summer tests probably against the same nation as unlikely to want more travel than necessary and likely featuring a largely developmental squad which would expect some mix of current provincial coaches and O’Connell would handle. Andy Farrell wasn’t around for 2019 tour to Japan.

New coaching staff could be appointed effective October and contracts would very likely be significant reductions from salaries of current staff whose voluntary reductions possibly won’t be for much longer than this season.

All in all, it’s difficult to see how changing the coaching set up makes much if any of a negative impact to IRFU finances. Given this, two defeats in next two games highly likely to see end of current coaching set up.

Edit - Far more important financially is finishing position in six nations. Last year per Wales Online and other papers, champions received five million sterling (would be six million if grand slam), runners up 3.7 sterling, third 2.7 sterling, fourth 2.2 sterling and fifth 1.7 sterling.

Did Killian Keane get a pay off? Gone after 1 year of a 3 year deal.
    Still think it odd that IRFU can get away with paying him 6 months redundancy.

Lancaster was and still is the best candidate.
    Friend is the best practical fit in my mind if a replacement is needed.

Lancaster was and still is the best candidate.
    Friend is the best practical fit in my mind if a replacement is needed.

Yes, then our coaching ticket will be Lancaster, Farrell, Catt and Rowntree

Let's get the band back together

• Advertisement

Yes, then our coaching ticket will be Lancaster, Farrell, Catt and Rowntree

Let's get the band back together

Sure what could go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Us Irish of all people should know why appointing someone with a lot of experience as an assistant, but no experience as a HEAD COACH is a bad idea.

It worked out alright for Leinster. A couple of times ;)

I don't think Farrell should be replaced but if he was I wouldn't go for either Cullen or ROG. Not yet. And I don't think either would take it. I also don't think Pat Lam would suit international rugby and I don't know if he would be interested. What are Vern Cotter, Kieran Crowley and Steve Hansen up to these days?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It worked out alright for Leinster. A couple of times ;)

I don't think Farrell should be replaced but if he was I wouldn't go for either Cullen or ROG. Not yet. And I don't think either would take it. I also don't think Pat Lam would suit international rugby and I don't know if he would be interested. What are Vern Cotter, Kieran Crowley and Steve Hansen up to these days?

Cotter has Fiji, Hansen is retired

To throw a name into the mix, Rob Penney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Pat Lam....Thank me later :D:P:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cotter has Fiji, Hansen is retired

Throw enough money at Hansen and he might come out of retirement. What about Cheika?

To throw a name into the mix, Rob Penney

His team just got beaten by the team Rob Kearney plays for so that likely rules him out with a good section of the support base...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Robertson all day 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I've been a Munster sleeper agent all along deployed by thomond to rile up Leinster fans it seems.

Long live John Hayes.

It's "Long live John Hayes and shut up Buer".

What am I paying you for Squidgy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

My pick for Scotland
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter
    4. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    6. Beirne
    7. Connors
    8. Standrr
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

16. Kelleher
    17. Kilcoyne
    18. Furlong
    19. Dillane
    20 . Conan
    21. Murray
    22. Burns
    23 . Lowe

Close to my pick, but I'd start Kelleher and Furlong, probably Lowe as well and possibly stick Baird and Stockdale on the bench.

The biggest selection though is at 9...if Murray is available...it will be interesting to see what Farrell does. I'd start JGP, but I can see Murray going straight into the team.

Advertisement