Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Any team selection rumours here or just bickering on repeat?

no changes outside of Murray for Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

TRC10 wrote: »
    Supporting the team means critiquing the performance and talking about how the team could be better, because ultimately you want the team to win.

Blindly cheering on the team, win, lose or draw, isn't being a supporter, that's being a cheerleader.

That’s nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

People haven't mentioned this about JGP, but I wonder does he get what the coaches want better than the other options. Take the France game and the example of the overlap where Ringrose kicked the ball away. JGP was running a good support line from the opposite side of the pitch. He saw what was on and was ahead of everyone else in terms of reacting to what should have happened. We won't notice that stuff too much because nothing comes of it, but that sort of thing will be important to the coaches. If everyone else was on the same wavelength as JGP there we arguably had a solid try scoring opportunity from within our own half. So if he gets it then he stays surely? Especially given a lack of guys whondo get it and the need to bring that understanding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

salmocab wrote: »
    That’s nonsense

How is it nonsense? So if the team and/or players are underperforming, we shouldn't talk about it, or talk about how the team could be better? Should we just cheer and wave our green flags and say #teamofus?

Or should we try to analyse what went wrong and talk about how Ireland can be better.

Of course I'll always support the team but every fan has the right to criticise an underperforming player. Of course personal abuse is out of order.

How is it nonsense? So if the team and/or players are underperforming, we shouldn't talk about it, or talk about how the team could be better? Should we just cheer and wave our green flags and say #teamofus?

Or should we try to analyse what went wrong and talk about how Ireland can be better.

We can analyse and critique and support all at the same time. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    We can analyse and critique and support all at the same time. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Never said they were. I was responding to a post that said 'stop criticising players and support the team' , which is bull****.

Never said they were. I was responding to a post that said 'stop criticising players and support the team' , which is bull****.

Nope that wasn't what you were replying to. You were replying to a post saying "would people stop being dicks and targeting their frustrations at individual players and just support the team". At no point did the post you reply to suggest we should not critique performances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Some Yoke wrote: »
    Any team selection rumours here or just bickering on repeat?

Ha! What do you think will happen when the team lands??

Thats the team
    https://www.the42.ie/ireland-scotland-six-nations-2-5378685-Mar2021/

I presume Farrell will go Earls and Kelleher.

I wouldnt have Earls in the 23 but either way i think Scotland have progressed more and will win this.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Nope that wasn't what you were replying to. You were replying to a post saying "would people stop being dicks and targeting their frustrations at individual players and just support the team". At no point did the post you reply to suggest we should not critique performances etc.

I'm fairly sure that the people who were targeting their frustrations at individual players are the type of "fans" you'll find on Facebook comment sections who only come out of the woodwork for the 6 Nations and World Cups who probably hope that Ireland lose just so they can launch attacks on social media.

I don't think any self respecting rugby fan has ever scapegoated a particular player for a loss.

I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of even entertaining their "opinion"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder is the postponed game with France likely to have much of an impact on Scotland's performance this weekend?

• Advertisement

Of course I'll always support the team but every fan has the right to criticise an underperforming player. Of course personal abuse is out of order.

The nonsense is what you say supporting is. Critiquing the game doesn’t make you a supporter, it may be something you do but that doesn’t make you a supporter.
    I never said or suggested you shouldn’t talk about underperformance you imagined that. You could cheer and wave the flag if you want that’s a personal choice.
    You can analyse the game if you want too but again that doesn’t make you more of a supporter.
    Agreed every fan has the right to criticise an underperforming player but again that doesn’t necessarily make you a supporter.

To be clear when I said your post was nonsense I meant your definition of being a supporter.

Or Felix Jones?! Think he was universally liked, no?

He did a weird thing where he'd bob his head when he ran at full pace. Hang him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Just so long as we're all agreed that the analysis, critique and general high quality discussion that takes place on here is of vital importance to the selection and tactical decisions taken by the actual coaches :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

JGP in alright

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 9
    14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 91
    13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 33
    12. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 50
    11. James Lowe (Leinster) 5
    10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) (capt) 97
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) 8
    1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 107
    2. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 19
    3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 47
    4. Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 61
    5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 34
    6. Tadhg Beirne (Lansdowne/Munster) 20
    7. Will Connors (UCD/Leinster) 8
    8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 49

Replacements:

16. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 9
    17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 41
    18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 35
    19. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 1
    20. Jack Conan (Old Belvedere/Leinster) 18
    21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 88
    22. Billy Burns (Ulster) 6
    23. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 27

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The team for the most part picks itself but Larmour should be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

....at least Baird is going to get some minutes.

desperately looking for positives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What a bench to bring on.

Kelleher, Killer, Porter, Baird and Conan. Blessed to have that quality at our disposal.

Disappointed for Larmour and Kelleher to be riding pine. Thought they showed enough over their peers to earn a start but sure look.

Let's inject some rare positivity into this thread. Let's go lads!

I'd have started Kelleher and Larmour, but otherwise no complaints there. It's the same 23 I'd have gone for overall so there's not much to argue with IMO. Hopefuly we've put a lot of work in over the last few weeks to ensure that some of our decision making has improved. If so then I think we should win this. There is a lot of impact of the bench, particularly up front. Looking forward to seeing how they all perform now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I agree with arsebisbuits about the strength of our bench. It's potentially one of the most impactful ones we've ever selected. Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Baird and Conan are terrific carriers and could do a lot of damage against tired defences.

Would probably have started Kelleher and Larmour, but no real issues other than that.

I think I’d have swapped the front rows around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not really sure why Earls is starting this when we have plenty of younger talented wingers. And Earls' form is hardly keeping him in the team either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

AdamD wrote: »
    Not really sure why Earls is starting this when we have plenty of younger talented wingers. And Earls' form is hardly keeping him in the team either

central contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

AdamD wrote: »

Larmours form isn't exactly making him a shoe in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

bayern wrote: »
    central contract.

Conor Murray and Bundee Aki endorse this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

central contract.

That's a funny way of spelling "most reliable, consistent performer available"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

CMcsporty wrote: »
    ....at least Baird is going to get some minutes.

desperately looking for positives!

Whats not to be positive about? Really people I am confused. Since the World Cup we have 5-6 new players in the team if you could Herring. With 3 on the Bench

What exactly do you want to change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

central contract.

I am a huge Larmour fan. But both players got a half in Italy and to be fair to Earls he came out better of the two

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Herring deserves to keep his place. No point in putting too much pressure on Kelleher too soon, it’s the correct call. Great to have him come off the bench, much better dynamic than the other way around.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Decent team of 23, hard to argue anyone is hard done by by not being selected.

Ireland by 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

That's a funny way of spelling "most reliable, consistent performer available"

You think his performance against Wales was reliable and consistent?

Team is alright. Hopefully we can put in a performance.

Advertisement