Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Good luck to the over 35's today

The under 35's from Connacht obviously ruled out as they were too young

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not a hope in hell that our best 23 is as good as south africa or new zealands best 23, regardless of the mental gymnastics required get to that point.

our current best 23 isnt as good as our one in 2018, and both SA and NZ are better now than they were then.

the quality and choice of backs for the all blacks right now is a complete embarrassment of riches.

how do you fit B Barrett, Mounga, D Havili, R Ioane, C Clarke, W Jordan, ALB, Goodhue, D MaK, Sevu Reece, Ennor, Bridge, Jordie Barrett, Laumape, P Umaga-Jensen..... in jerseys 10 - 15?

and thats not taking into account the quality of likes of Nareki, Fainga'anu, Nanai-Seturo, Tiatia and Telea all awaiting an all black chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

My strong sense is that Ireland are better than people think and that Scotland are worse than people think.

I expect a big performance and a big result from Ireland today.

We will expose the Scots as the mediocre side they are.

Yes, Hogg is very good, but Finn Russell in particular is massively overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

My strong sense is that Ireland are better than people think and that Scotland are worse than people think.

I genuinely think this post will come back to haunt you

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Russell is rocks and diamonds, if he uncovers a few diamonds today without any rocks then he is a match winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

I'm inclined to agree with it. Wales and England were very poor against Scotland. I think they're a bit overrated tbh and if Ireland don't have a poor game it will be a comfortable win.

Scratchly wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with it. Wales and England were very poor against Scotland. I think they're a bit overrated tbh and if Ireland don't have a poor game it will be a comfortable win.

I hope you're right, but I have huge doubts ...I can see Lowe's wing being targeted today

It’s my view. Better to give one’s view than to Monday Morning Quarterback after the fact.

I strongly believe that Scotland are actually a poor side.

It’s my view. Better to give one’s view than to Monday Morning Quarterback after the fact.

Oh I've given my views already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

I hope you're right, but I have huge doubts ...I can see Lowe's wing being targeted today

I'm sure they will target it but hopefully there won't be any freebies. If Scotland have to work for their points they're going to make mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

gally74 wrote: »
    Good luck to the over 35's today

The under 35's from Connacht obviously ruled out as they were too young

Sure they're better off, basking in the glory of getting that LBP at home to Edinburgh last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

I'm guessing you are basing that on Scotland's recent record versus Ireland - only one win in the last 10 matches. That does not mean they are a 'poor side'.
    Ireland are clearly the Scot's bogey team as Scotland's recent record against the other nations is much better.
    66 wins each in the all time history - Ireland can move in front for the first time ever today!

tmc1963 wrote: »
    I'm guessing you are basing that on Scotland's recent record versus Ireland - only one win in the last 10 matches. That does not mean they are a 'poor side'.
    Ireland are clearly the Scot's bogey team as Scotland's recent record against the other nations is much better.
    66 wins each in the all time history - Ireland can move in front for the first time ever today!

Why on earth would I do that?

I’m basing it on watching all of Scotland’s games and all of Ireland’s games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It's time to end the James Lowe experiment, it's just gifting opponents a free try per game at this stage.

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's time to end the James Lowe experiment, it's just gifting opponents a free try per game at this stage.

Lowe should never play for Ireland again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You would've been justified saying the same thing about Beirne prior to this season. Lowe has been poor, and deserves to be replaced. Folks are far too eager to bury him, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Sure they're better off, basking in the glory of getting that LBP at home to Edinburgh last night.

Both of these posts are as bad as each other tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Pity about Ryan's injury. He was excellent today and killed Scotland's lineout. Thought he was the key to our victory.

Second HIA in the space of a month too. Hopefully that doesn't become a recurring feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The transformation in our lineout since POC came in is astonishing, particularly on defence.

Wasn't sure if he was going to work out considering his time with the U20s was a bit of a mess and his time in Toulon ended abruptly, but he's been a quality hiring.

You would've been justified saying the same thing about Beirne prior to this season. Lowe has been poor, and deserves to be replaced. Folks are far too eager to bury him, bizarre.

He's rubbish defensively...if that's not something that he has addressed at almost 29 years of age..it ain't ever happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Hopefully he can improve his defence and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

It was well worth trying him I think, but yes, he has done nothing in his chances other than show himself to be strangely at sea at international level.

Maybe Leinster followers that know him knew this was likely to happen, or the low level teams he has been playing by and large, dont expose his weaknesses, and the strengths he does have make him look a prospect. If it had been defensive lapses made up for by serious attack threat, it would have been one thing, but alas.
    I'm not sure we have seen such a question answered so comprehensively so quickly about a player's international credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dublin49

was hoping scots would get their 3rd try quickly when camped on our line as was terrified we get a yellow and then concede a try,Poite had warned us so was coming ,think that was a big factor in our win

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

dublin49 wrote: »
    was hoping scots would get their 3rd try quickly when camped on our line as was terrified we get a yellow and then concede a try,Poite had warned us so was coming ,think that was a big factor in our win

Do you think Ireland should have just let them in straight away when they were at that point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He's rubbish defensively...if that's not something that he has addressed at almost 29 years of age..it ain't ever happening!

He's very far from being the first winger we've had who has had issues defensively in their first year at international level, and a good few of them ultimately sorted that out. I wouldn't be writing his career off yet.

Hopefully Balacoune can get some taste of international rugby this year. If he can take to it like Keenan did it would be fantastic for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

The transformation in our lineout since POC came in is astonishing, particularly on defence.

Wasn't sure if he was going to work out considering his time with the U20s was a bit of a mess and his time in Toulon ended abruptly, but he's been a quality hiring.

You'd have to wonder what was going on before though. Think farrell needs to get rid of Catt tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

A lot of people (myself included) were disappointed that kelleher wasn't starting today but you can't praise our lineout today while calling for herring to be dropped imo. His throws usually come good for ireland and kellehers darts just arent there yet.

Backs were horrendous. No clue how to line up in attack, don't play what's infront of them and they never make the defender think. Abysmal defending as well, scotland trotted up the field with ease and it gives me ptsd flashbacks from japan.

Ryan was good in the lineout, henderson and bierne immese, connors effective as well. CJ disappointing, his best games come at 6 but bierne is making the jersey his. Think I'd prefer doris now, fitness permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was very impressed with the impact Baird and Kelleher made off the bench.

Baird charged down Prices kick leading to the match winning penalty and made a key contribution in defence by stopping Watson dead in his tracks when he had up a big head of steam carrying through midfield.

Kelleher I think made three tackles in as many phases near the end of the game that kept Scotland pinned on their own 10 metres line. The future looks bright.

I think we're all agreed the Lowe experiment is well and truly over.

Earls was fantastic today, perhaps having Stockdale on the opposite wing will put the fear up England.
    A back row witu Beirne, POM & CJ is what's needed to front up against England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

I was very critical of Farrell after the Autumn Nations cup, specifically for not giving players chances when I felt he should have.

Have to say I’m impressed with the progress we’ve made over the course of the championship. Scoring 27 points against a good Scotland team is excellent. Tight losses to Wales and France where I felt we could have won them on another day.

I also feel like we’re trying to play a bit more than the previous regime. As for people criticizing box-kicking in the 78th minute, it was the right call to do so. Poite looked like he could have given a penalty at any ruck. Kick it, play territory and trust your defence to win out.

Pleased with how we’re looking.

Advertisement