Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I think we're all agreed the Lowe experiment is well and truly over.

Earls was fantastic today, perhaps having Stockdale on the opposite wing will put the fear up England.
    A back row witu Beirne, POM & CJ is what's needed to front up against England

Connors surely keeps his spot. Agree stockdale for Lowe abs would probably bring Bundee in at 12 with Henshaw at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we've hit upon the perfect 4,5 and 6. They're all strong in the air and very effective at the ruck. We just need to keep them fit.

If Connors keeps up this high level of performance I don't see a place for POM in the 15. Beirne is the undisputed starter at 6 now. Only question is what do we do if Doris comes back and hits his pre-HIA form. He was starting 8 with CJ moving to blindside. Don't see the latter usurping Beirne any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭dublin49

Do you think Ireland should have just let them in straight away when they were at that point ?

no but I do think a double whammy at that stage could have been crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Connors surely keeps his spot. Agree stockdale for Lowe abs would probably bring Bundee in at 12 with Henshaw at 13

Can't see any reason why Aki stays out of the squad... he's an absolute nailed on starter against England imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Can someone explain how these backs are brilliant for Leinster and mediocre for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Clegg wrote: »
    I think we've hit upon the perfect 4,5 and 6. They're all strong in the air and very effective at the ruck. We just need to keep them fit.

If Connors keeps up this high level of performance I don't see a place for POM in the 15. Beirne is the undisputed starter at 6 now. Only question is what do we do if Doris comes back and hits his pre-HIA form. He was starting 8 with CJ moving to blindside. Don't see the latter usurping Beirne any time soon.

Could try Beirne at 7, CJ at 6 and Doris at 8. Would prefer a natural 7 in there for balance though, personally

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

VANG1 wrote: »
    Can someone explain how these backs are brilliant for Leinster and mediocre for Ireland.

Coaching is probably part of it but the biggest reason is 90% of the time Leinster are the utterly dominant team over their opposition and weaknesses don't get shown up. When does James Lowe have to make tackles in sticky situations in a blue shirt? Almost never.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tmc1963

Why on earth would I do that?

I’m basing it on watching all of Scotland’s games and all of Ireland’s games.

Well after watching that presumably you think both sides are 'poor' - if Scotland's lineout stats had been at their previous level rather than 2/8 .......

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Trey13 wrote: »

Pleased with how we’re looking.

Really? I can't see any fingerprints on the plays from the coaches at all. Think we're playing well below the sum of our parts. Although some injures and older players have hamstringed us a little, I can't say Farrell and Catt have shown us anything in particular to get excited about.

It's going to be a couple of seasons of mediocrity, followed by a false dawn when a new coach takes over just before the RWC, then another unlucky Q4 defeat.

Anything other than that and I'll be happy tbh! :pac:

mike_catt_banner.jpg

• Advertisement

You'd have to say if Scotland didn't lose so many lineouts, they probably wouldn't have lost the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Farrel gameplan , is very similar to later day Schmidt , when he went too conservative , Farrel game plan is a continuation of this conservative box kicking game, certainky lost my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The Catt appointment has never sat right with me. Backs coach in the Lancaster setup in England. Then attack coach with Italy. Its not exactly a stellar CV. I assume he's close to Farrell and the players seem to like him, but I can't see what he's bringing to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

.ak wrote: »
    You'd have to say if Scotland didn't lose so many lineouts, they probably wouldn't have lost the game...

When you consider where they lost these lineouts and the sheer number, it'd be hard to argue they wouldn't have scored more/conceded less.

Good job by POC and the Ireland pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Trey13

.ak wrote: »
    Really? I can't see any fingerprints on the plays from the coaches at all. Think we're playing well below the sum of our parts. Although some injures and older players have hamstringed us a little, I can't say Farrell and Catt have shown us anything in particular to get excited about.

It's going to be a couple of seasons of mediocrity, followed by a false dawn when a new coach takes over just before the RWC, then another unlucky Q4 defeat.

Anything other than that and I'll be happy tbh! :pac:

Yeah, I’ve felt we’ve at least tried offloading a bit more, and deeper in our own half.

Lineout defence has been a marked improvement in my opinion under the new regime.

Beirne’s try was incredible from a coaching point of view I think. The accuracy and intensity we showed in recycling the ball was impressive - I would put that down as a result of coaching.

We’re not the finished article but I think we’re making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Downlinz

There's a huge gulf between international level and clubs

It's a pity Baloucoune wasn't called up last week.

I know, I know, shiny new toy syndrome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

A few of them have reached their ceiling at provincial level

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a pity Baloucoune wasn't called up last week.

I know, I know, shiny new toy syndrome....

Balacoune is better than Stockdale.

There's no shiny new toy syndrome. He has a higher ceiling at test level IMO. He's the best and most exciting young winger in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

awec wrote: »

There's no shiny new toy syndrome. He has a higher ceiling at test level IMO. He's the best and most exciting young winger in Ireland.
    This time last year everyone was saying Lowe is better than Stockdale, Earls, Larmour etc
    Nobody knows how good Balacoune is yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Trey13 wrote: »
    I was very critical of Farrell after the Autumn Nations cup, specifically for not giving players chances when I felt he should have.

Have to say I’m impressed with the progress we’ve made over the course of the championship. Scoring 27 points against a good Scotland team is excellent. Tight losses to Wales and France where I felt we could have won them on another day.

I also feel like we’re trying to play a bit more than the previous regime. As for people criticizing box-kicking in the 78th minute, it was the right call to do so. Poite looked like he could have given a penalty at any ruck. Kick it, play territory and trust your defence to win out.

Pleased with how we’re looking.

This is what a win does. Blind optimism.

We have gone nowhere in 2 years since he took over, if anything we have gone backwards. Our attack is worse than it was under Schmidt. Stockdale has been thrown by the wayside and Lowe introduced, now the plan is to throw Lowe

Murray was moved out of the team, JGP introduced and then asked to play exactly like Murray. So now everyone wants to dump JGP to introduce back in Murray.

Earls had a great game because....he was tackling players, throwing himself around etc. Hardly what a winger should be at.

Our players are giving 100%, but they always gave 100%. The introduction of POC has made a huge swing and now the forwards look like a unit after been poor last season. What would the team be like if POC wasn't brought in?

That was depressing today. We should of hammered Scotland and ended up just about winning....you could see Sexton wasn't happy.

How many players are we going to dump before we figure out the tactics are sh*t?
    Plus I heard Farrell threw Lowe under the bus in an interview, that Farrell and Catt now who have blamed the players. Terrible management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Have to say I've seen nothing from Ireland to suggest Farrell and Catt have the vision to take us back to the level of 2018.

Nothing is revealed in interviews apart from references to playing what's in front of them, character, consistency, etc., and there's been little on the field that suggests clarity on a new direction for the team.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this.

This time last year everyone was saying Lowe is better than Stockdale, Earls, Larmour etc
    Nobody knows how good Balacoune is yet.

Not very many people were saying this, believe me.

I wanted him brought into camp last week. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

The best young winger in Ireland?

He's definitely an exciting prospect, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in green, but this is a bit over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

sebdavis wrote: »
    This is what a win does. Blind optimism.

We have gone nowhere in 2 years since he took over, if anything we have gone backwards. Our attack is worse than it was under Schmidt. Stockdale has been thrown by the wayside and Lowe introduced, now the plan is to throw Lowe

Murray was moved out of the team, JGP introduced and then asked to play exactly like Murray. So now everyone wants to dump JGP to introduce back in Murray.

Earls had a great game because....he was tackling players, throwing himself around etc. Hardly what a winger should be at.

Our players are giving 100%, but they always gave 100%. The introduction of POC has made a huge swing and now the forwards look like a unit after been poor last season. What would the team be like if POC wasn't brought in?

That was depressing today. We should of hammered Scotland and ended up just about winning....you could see Sexton wasn't happy.

How many players are we going to dump before we figure out the tactics are sh*t?
    Plus I heard Farrell threw Lowe under the bus in an interview, that Farrell and Catt now who have blamed the players. Terrible management

It isnt throwing Lowe. Its simply picking others who can defend better and have similar or near same ability in attack. He has had several very poor defensive performances and doesnt deserve to be picked again.

Nobody has claimed the players arent giving 100%
    JPG is not being asked to play like Murray. He is being asked to play as the game plan, coaches, other players expect them to.

Why should we have hammered Scotland? Based on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Im with Awec here, we're it not for injury I reckon Balacoune would be nailed on in green. He has everything.

He's definitely an exciting prospect, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in green, but this is a bit over the top.

It's not really.

He's better than all the rest of them. If he played for Leinster or Munster there'd be pieces in the Indo or the Times about his inevitable Lions caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

You could put Kolbe into that Ireland team and he would look awful.....the tactics are terrible in attack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What can Farrel say though? I haven't heard anything yet. But unless we're blind, it's obvious Lowe is going to be criticized. He was woeful. I don't think he makes the Lions tour, lol.
    I agree with the sentiment about our play. It's poor and lacking incision. Our backs look well undercooked. Catt must go, imo. Very disheartening to watch an international side laboring while doing the basics.
    There's been a couple of times where we've kicked the ball and had it charged down . Sexton v Wales was one and Ringrose today. There may be other times. Our 1st instinct seems to kick, no matter what.
    JGP did ok. Murray would have been slow and laborious. Boxkicks may have damaged a satalite.
    Anyway, Eddie Jones will be licking his lips after viewing that droll ****!

Advertisement