Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The best young winger in Ireland?

He's definitely an exciting prospect, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in green, but this is a bit over the top.

Had he not gotten injured he would have caps already. He was involved in training camps previously so he's certainly on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

It isnt throwing Lowe. Its simply picking others who can defend better and have similar or near same ability in attack. He has had several very poor defensive performances and doesnt deserve to be picked again.

Nobody has claimed the players arent giving 100%
    JPG is not being asked to play like Murray. He is being asked to play as the game plan, coaches, other players expect them to.

Why should we have hammered Scotland? Based on what exactly?

JGP is constantly box kicking.
    Lowe has kicked more in the few Irish games than his entire Leinster career.

That game plan today they should of stuck Conway on wing and Murray at 9.....Conway is best winger in the air and Murray is best box kicker....

Dubinusa wrote: »
    What can Farrel say though? I haven't heard anything yet. But unless we're blind, it's obvious Lowe is going to be criticized. He was woeful. I don't think he makes the Lions tour, lol.
    I agree with the sentiment about our play. It's poor and lacking incision. Our backs look well undercooked. Catt must go, imo. Very disheartening to watch an international side laboring while doing the basics.
    There's been a couple of times where we've kicked the ball and had it charged down . Sexton v Wales was one and Ringrose today. There may be other times. Our 1st instinct seems to kick, no matter what.
    JGP did ok. Murray would have been slow and laborious. Boxkicks may have damaged a satalite.
    Anyway, Eddie Jones will be licking his lips after viewing that droll ****!

Farrell has already come out and said "We will sit down with James. There's obviously others we need to sit down, with him, and teach him what international rugby is about"

Disgraceful comment to make to the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

awec wrote: »
    It's not really.

If he played for Leinster or Munster there'd be pieces in the Indo or the Times about his inevitable Lions caps.

:D
    Had he not gotten injured he would have caps already. He was involved in training camps previously so he's certainly on the radar.

Yeah I don't disagree with that, and he looks the part, but he's just a bit unproven outside Pro 14 level. Hopefully he'll get his chance sooner rather than later.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Farrell has already come out and said "We will sit down with James. There's obviously others we need to sit down, with him, and teach him what international rugby is about"

Disgraceful comment to make to the press.

Do you have a link to this?

• Advertisement

Do you have a link to this?

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1371152355706687491

It was said to press post match

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

But we've seen today how being a standout at provincial isn't always a guarantee of being test quality...

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:D

Yeah I don't disagree with that, and he looks the part, but he's just a bit unproven outside Pro 14 level. Hopefully he'll get his chance sooner rather than later.

He has actually been excellent in his European performances for Ulster.

At least he's not singling him out completely. I also wonder if he was asked specifically about Lowe, in which case it would be understandable to mention him by name and not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Not very many people were saying this, believe me.

Only just about every Leinster supporter on here

• Advertisement

He has actually been excellent in his European performances for Ulster.

Fair enough! I have the memory of a seive at the best of times to be fair :D

But we've seen today how being a standout at provincial isn't always a guarantee of being test quality...

Baloucoune has youth on his side. Lowe is an experienced player.

At least he's not singling him out completely. I also wonder if he was asked specifically about Lowe, in which case it would be understandable to mention him by name and not others.

No idea, but never seen an international coach go after a new player like that, Lowe has how many caps? the guys was completely devoid of confidence at the end and this is what he see?

Between Farrell and Catt are they planning on trying to alienate the entire squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Only just about every Leinster supporter on here

Well, that's not true at all.

He's a fan favourite but plenty of Leinster fans have been vocal about his shortcomings and weren't convinced he was going to be able to translate his provincial performances to the test arena.

I recall him getting plenty of stick specifically after Conway stepped him last August in a very similar scenario to Huw Jones' try today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

thebaz wrote: »
    Farrel gameplan , is very similar to later day Schmidt , when he went too conservative , Farrel game plan is a continuation of this conservative box kicking game, certainky lost my interest.

Latter day Schmidt's Ireland team didn't play anything remotely close to a conservative box kicking game. Early days Schmidt which won two 6N did and they he completely changed the way the team played from being a minimal possession team to a maximum possession team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

No idea, but never seen an international coach go after a new player like that, Lowe has how many caps? the guys was completely devoid of confidence at the end and this is what he see?

Between Farrell and Catt are they planning on trying to alienate the entire squad?

Have you seen many players new or old be at fault for so many tries and not be dropped or criticised?

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Have you seen many players new or old be at fault for so many tries and not be dropped or criticised?

You can drop a player. No need to throw him under the bus to the media. I never seen a comment like that from any coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We all know the true talent on the wing in Irish rugby at the moment is Dave Kearney, but I feel like coming in straight against England would be too easy for him so best to leave it to someone like Balacoune, best for everyone

You can drop a player. No need to throw him under the bus to the media. I never seen a comment like that from any coach.

Was he asked specifically about Lowe? That answer needs context.

We all know the true talent on the wing in Irish rugby at the moment is Dave Kearney, but I feel like coming in straight against England would be too easy for him so best to leave it to someone like Balacoune, best for everyone

We seem to be using a similar tactic to Joe 2013-2015 and we all know how succesfull D Kearney was in that team.....lets bring it on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exactly. He was almost certainly asked about Lowe. Farrell wouldn't be throwing a player under the bus like that. The problem with press conferences is that we see in print the answers, but rarely the questions that can help contextualise them.

Ring up Pat and ask him

Most coach's would turn around and say something mundane. It seems a common occurrence now, blame the player

molloyjh wrote: »
    Exactly. He was almost certainly asked about Lowe. Farrell wouldn't be throwing a player under the bus like that. The problem with press conferences is that we see in print the answers, but rarely the questions that can help contextualise them.

Catt came out and said it was all the players fault. Apart from everyone else struggling to see what the hell the players are supposed to be doing in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Catt came out and said it was all the players fault. Apart from everyone else struggling to see what the hell the players are supposed to be doing in attack.

As if Catt was wrong by saying the players were failing to see and exploit overlaps...

Like, he was literally correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

As if Catt was wrong by saying the players were failing to see and exploit overlaps...

Like, he was literally correct.

Exactly. He came out and said that after the France game when creating overlaps and failing to capitalise happened numerous times. It so frustrating watching people spin things out of context to suit an agenda. There are some real issues with Ireland right now and questions around the coaching. We dont need to be inventing crap as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland are clearly trying to pay a more high tempo game than they were under Joe, and with that comes mistakes. It is basically exemplified in the JGP vs Murray decision. You can argue for or against it, but to suggest we haven't changed approach is wrong.

I think there is a lot to like and a lot to dislike. We are a really stupid move by POM away from talking about a triple crown and the championship still being within sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Dave Kearney is too good for the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Buer wrote: »
    Well, that's not true at all.

He's a fan favourite but plenty of Leinster fans have been vocal about his shortcomings and weren't convinced he was going to be able to translate his provincial performances to the test arena.

I recall him getting plenty of stick specifically after Conway stepped him last August in a very similar scenario to Huw Jones' try today.

It begins

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think today proved we have a good group of players and are certainly a much better team than Scotland. The reason the score was so close was how badly coached we are, we are a mess and going no where. A good coach would be getting a lot more out of this group especially in attack. Unfortunately we are stuck with Farrell and Catt until the World Cup, which is wasted opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can't wait to see what happens when we've a good attack if scoring 27 points away from home in the 6N is the result of a poor attack.

Attack isn't just about back line moves and line breaks. That's the aesthetically pleasing, fun element. Attack is about getting points. Controlling where the game is played and translating that to the score board. We did a solid job of that today. It was largely done through territorial kicking. Scotland were totally unable to deal with our kicking from hand and chase.

Of course we could maximise our opportunities more effectively but, in holistic terms, our attack delivered today.

The coaches will be far more concerned with the lack of accuracy around our set piece in the second half as well as our passive and poor defence in the final quarter.

Advertisement