Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Maybe Keenan and Lowe should have held their depth?

Think that's unfair on both, i'm not the biggest fans of either but that's stretching things.
    He should have given the ball to Sexton.

This is a fairer point Sexton was there for a simple hand off and could've put Keenan or Lowe away. Isn't the idea to suck defence in which was happening to allow the like of Keenan and Lowe overlaps and chances. CJ did neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The IRFU have issued an injury update. Basically says we're fecked.
    James Ryan will be unavailable for the weekend following his removal for a HIA and his return to play will be managed by Leinster.

Garry Ringrose has been ruled out of the England game with an ankle injury and will be further assessed by the Ireland and Leinster medical teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Irelands attacking strategy...kick it across for a 50/50 and hope for the best.
    https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/status/1371487869609594890?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ah thats a double dose.

"Henshow" has really stepped up his game. Would love to see a bit more from him as a distributer but he has locked down the 12 position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's going to be Beirne into the second row and POM to 6, but if it's Beirne to the second row and POM to 6 I'm going to cry.

Clegg wrote: »
    The IRFU have issued an injury update. Basically says we're fecked.

So Henshaw/Aki midfield for England......

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Midfield and second row predictions for England?

Edit: see people are saying Beirne/Henderson and Aki/Henshaw...or is that Henshaw/Aki?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

hahashake wrote: »

It's a fairly easy prediction.

Farrell will pick players and people who've nailed their colours to the mast and think changing opinions is a character flaw will continue to whine :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

hahashake wrote: »

Edit: see people are saying Beirne/Henderson and Aki/Henshaw...or is that Henshaw/Aki?

My prediction is: Beirne to the 2nd row, POM to 6, Aki to 12 with Henshaw to 13 and this place to be a sh*tshow for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CMcsporty wrote: »

Wasn't a great kick by any means

Wasn't a great kick by any means

No it wasnt. It shouldn't bounce in the in-goal area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

CMcsporty wrote: »

Kick is a good call there. Execution was off but if it's in the corner to Earls it's a try all day. DTH was sucked in way too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

No Ringrose!! NO RYAN! Jaysus! I reckon Aki at 12, Henshaw at 13. I would like to see
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter, Furlong for bench impact
    4. Dillane
    5. Henderson
    6. Beirne
    7. Connors
    8. Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭joficeduns1

Tough knocks for Ryan and Ringrose. Neither hit their best this tournament but have had flares of brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

The last time O'Mahony was drafted in at the last minute to play against England he did alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    No Ringrose!! NO RYAN! Jaysus! I reckon Aki at 12, Henshaw at 13. I would like to see
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter, Furlong for bench impact
    4. Dillane
    5. Henderson
    6. Beirne
    7. Connors
    8. Stander
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Earls
    15. Keenan

I would prefer to see Farrell at 13 and Henshaw at 12
    Or rest Henshaw who has played the entire tournament and put Aki at 12 but I doubt that will happen

With such a short turnaround they would be better to swap some of the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

yerrahbah wrote: »
    The last time O'Mahony was drafted in at the last minute to play against England he did alright.

I think he's a better player than he was even back then.
    But Ryan is a loss against that English pack.
    Baird is too raw to bring in at 6.
    But POM wont have played in 6 weeks. Big ask.

sebdavis wrote: »
    I would prefer to see Farrell at 13 and Henshaw at 12
    Or rest Henshaw who has played the entire tournament and put Aki at 12 but I doubt that will happen

With such a short turnaround they would be better to swap some of the forwards.

I'd agree with Henshaw 12 and Farrell 13. Why move a player at the top of their form as Henshaw is to accommodate Aki. 12 13 access of Henshaw and Farrell s far better use of the resources we have available.

See a few suggest Beirne into second row and one person saying Dillane. Why would people not consider Baird? I get that maybe impact from him is better but if you're in the 23 and to be jumped when someone in the 15 drops out is a bit disconcerting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Henshaw to 13 would be great. His best position imo, provided he gets enough ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Could shift Stander to 6 and bring Conan at 8. Can't see Dillane or Baird starting. Agree that POM will likely be coach's pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Sangre wrote: »
    Could shift Stander to 6 and bring Conan at 8. Can't see Dillane or Baird starting. Agree that POM will likely be coach's pick.

That'll be the pick. POM on the bench

Sangre wrote: »

I understand the logic and reasoning but with Beirne a multiple time POTM winner at 6, why would you disrupt what is going well. Why not bring in a second row and leave a back row that's working very well together in place.

Fredinho wrote: »
    I understand the logic and reasoning but with Beirne a multiple time POTM winner at 6, why would you disrupt what is going well. Why not bring in a second row and leave a back row that's working very well together in place.

Didn’t he get one when starting at 2nd row as well tho? Two of the games he played very well in were the 2nd row.

The Italy POTM, there seemed to be some confusion with Connors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

aloooof wrote: »
    Didn’t he get one when starting at 2nd row as well tho? Two of the games he played very well in were the 2nd row.

The Italy POTM, there seemed to be some confusion with Connors.

We really need to move past this player of the match stuff, it’s rarely given and everyone agrees anyway. It’s almost meaningless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Team to face England?

I think I would go with:

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Iain Henderson
    5. Ryan Baird
    6. Tadhg Beirne
    7. Will Connors
    8. Christiaan Johan Stander
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. James Hume
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Gavin Thornbury
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Conor Murray
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Jacob Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Team to face England?

I think I would go with:

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Iain Henderson
    5. Ryan Baird
    6. Tadhg Beirne
    7. Will Connors
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. James Lowe
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    13. James Hume
    14. Keith Earls
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Ronan Kelleher
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Gavin Thornbury
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Conor Murray
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Jacob Stockdale

I will eat orange spuds boiled in piss if any of James Hume, Gavin Thornbury or Jack Carty are in the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I don't think we need wholesale changes for England, apart from the enforced injuries I think one or 2 tweaks would make a huge difference to the team. I think it would be a big mistake to bring POM in, apart from how I rate him as a player he hasn't played in 6 weeks and the back 5 in the pack has gone ok.

I think Baird is well deserving of a shot to start now with Dillane on the bench. If the plan is to move Beirne back to 2nd row then Conan should come into the back row and maybe Ruddock on the bench

I think Lowe needs some time to go away and work on his defending, I think whatever about his long term prospects in green, they won't be helped by him being further exposed against England and the mental fallout of same on the player. There's temptation to throw Stockdale back in but I think Larmour should start and ease Stockdale back in from the bench.

Healy, Herring, Furlong
    Baird, Henderson
    Beirne, Stander, Connors
    Gibson-Park, Sexton
    Henshaw, Farrell
    Larmour, Keenan, Earls

Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Porter, Dillane, Conan, Murray, Burns (although Carbury would be great!!), Stockdale

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nice Richie.

Always an oul curve ball from you!!

• Advertisement

Every time, Richard_Richardson89. ;)

Advertisement