Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I always have this thing in my head that says whenever Dillane plays we lose (tier 2 games aside). Not a dig at him at all, I'm just curious to see if the stats back up my instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dillane is in great form. He is very capable. I wouldn't touch Beirne where he is at the moment. The back row will be fine, if Beirne is retained. Baird off the bench for impact. They could also go Stander, Connors and Conan. I'd go with Ruddock on the bench. Difficult calls. I think Stockdale comes into the 23. Larmour in for Lowe and Lowe back to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Personally I'd stick Baird in. For me he is ready, but it would be a brave call.

However I suspect the temptation to put O'Mahony to 6 and Beirne to the row will be too great to resist for Farrell. Shame as I don't think Peter deserves to be picked after what he did against Wales. Rehabilitate him in the summer or in November.

Elsewhere I'd bring Farrell in at 13 as it would cause the least disruption to the side.

Farrell might give Lowe his backing, especially with Ringrose out as he won't want to change too much. Larmour is most likely to benefit if they decide to change it up as he has been in the 23 throughout the campaign. Stockdale to the bench in that case, but I wouldn't be that shocked if Stockdale went straight in.

Other than that it's as you were

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’d have POM myself. And I think not only has he been excellent in the past year (before royally ****ing up against Wales) but he is EXACTLY the right guy to be coming in with a point to prove, trying to win back his jersey, against England.

I’d much rather Ryan was fit though.

Only other change I’d want is Lowe out for Stockdale

EDIT: Only just saw Ringrose is out. Aki and Henshaw it is so!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'd love to see Baord or Dillane given a start in a big game and Beirne left where he is. I'd say POM is as likely to get sent off again as have a big performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume it's a straight swap at 13 with Farrell starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I assume it's a straight swap at 13 with Farrell starting?

I think it's more likely that Aki comes into the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Only other change I’d want is Lowe out for Stockdale

I don't understand this.

What has Stockdale done to warrant selection?

His run for Mathewson's try was great but apart from that, he had a very average game and I counted 3 knock ons.

He's just as much of a liability as Lowe and his try scoring rate since 2018 has been poor.

Larmour in for Lowe makes much more sense. (Yes Larmour missed a tackle v Italy but he's been a reliable defender for the most part)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Dillane could be a good addition for the line out. If he starts that would give us Dillane; Hendo and Beirne!
    I'm not sure if Connors has ever been used as a line out option. I think he could be, as he's tall and fairly light. Easier to lift!
    I think one good thing in our favor is Owen Farrell hasn't really been good this 6nations. He looked very poor v Scotland and average v Wales. He was ok v France.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For me, Baird to start, POM on the bench with Conan. Change as little as possible in a six day turnaround with one full contact session, especially in a pack thats going well.

I'd also play Farrell at 13, his preferred position and a big physical presence against a team like England. I also love Andy Conway as a footballer, so I'd start him, but I think thats least likely to happen, so the 23 shirt for him while Larmour comes in for Lowe.

I also think it unlikely that JGP will be benched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Never nice to lose players to injury but this may be a blessing in disguise as POM and Aki will probably improve the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

TRC10 wrote: »
    I don't understand this.

His run for Mathewson's try was great but apart from that, he had a very average game and I counted 3 knock ons.

He's just as much of a liability as Lowe and his try scoring rate since 2018 has been poor.

Larmour in for Lowe makes much more sense. (Yes Larmour missed a tackle v Italy but he's been a reliable defender for the most part)

And this right here is the attitude that sums up why our backline looks so conservative, we never focus on the moments of magic that these players can produce but instead fixate on knock on’s as the reason to leave them out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I don't understand this.

On the wing stockdale's nowhere near as bad as lowe defensivly . Lowe has been a historically bad defender for us in that position

Lowes boot has been.a huge benefit but stockdale has also shown a far higher ability to make a break at international level

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave

HenShaw played so well the last day he might actually be more effective playing at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't understand this.

Could have sworn I read stats that he beat more defenders, made more clean breaks and made more yards than anyone else in the games he played in November...and he scored tries against both France and England.

The defensive issues are there, and I can see why people would prefer Larmour and I would probably just about go with Larmour, largely because he has been in the 23 throughout the Championship, but I don't understand why you don't understand why some people might go for Stockdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Beirne to 2nd row then it should be Ruddock at 6

Or stander at 6 and Conan at 8

Chris Farrell at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

nerd69 wrote: »
    On the wing stockdale's nowhere near as bad as lowe defensivly . Lowe has been a historically bad defender for us in that position

Lowes boot has been.a huge benefit but stockdale has also shown a far higher ability to make a break at international level

Stockdale broke through under a world renowned head coach and backs coach in 2017/18 that scored 20 6N tries marshalled around the pitch by world class half-backs.

Lowe is playing under a struggling head coach that is learning his trade. With a backs coach that is struggling to imprint his style with average international half-backs.

Stockdale himself has struggled himself under Farrell/Catt/Easterby, albeit when played waaaaay out of his comfort zone at FB.

I have no doubt Lowe would have had far greater impact in a better environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I don't understand this.

I am sure Larmour will come in, first time he makes a mistake you will be shouting that he should be dropped from the team.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    And this right here is the attitude that sums up why our backline looks so conservative, we never focus on the moments of magic that these players can produce but instead fixate on knock on’s as the reason to leave them out...

This has to be the first time I've ever seen someone allude to Jordan Larmour being a conservative pick.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sebdavis wrote: »
    I am sure Larmour will come in, first time he makes a mistake you will be shouting that he should be dropped from the team.....

I don't think that's particularly fair, tbh. The OP has literally mentioned a mistake Larmour has made in that post and is still calling for his inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Stockdale broke through under a world renowned head coach and backs coach in 2017/18 that scored 20 6N tries marshalled around the pitch by world class half-backs.

Lowe is playing under a struggling head coach that is learning his trade. With a backs coach that is struggling to imprint his style with average international half-backs.

Stockdale himself has struggled himself under Farrell/Catt/Easterby, albeit when played waaaaay out of his comfort zone at FB.

You think that under a “better environment” he’d suddenly learn how to tackle and how to defend?

He should never start a meaningful game for Ireland again.

Running in tries against Scottish and Welsh dross on a Friday night is a world away from Test rugby.

He’s like an Under 9, afraid to tackle and closing his eyes FFS...terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You think that under a “better environment” he’d suddenly learn how to tackle and how to defend?

Running in tries against Scottish and Welsh dross on a Friday night is a world away from Test rugby.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well i was actually making a different point....about his impact in attack.

fwiw i dont think it's fair on him to be that harsh.
    It's not as if he's playing in a very good defensive system either. He's clearly suffering confidence wise.

I think he'll bounce back but i would think it better to bring in Larmour for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, it hasn't hurt Keenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Has he not played for Leinster in any big games? This is just hyperbole and posts like this are the reason discussion ends up in the toilet.

In fairness, it hasn't hurt Keenan.

I agree. Keenan is a better defender.
    Lowe is a better attacker and lets face it - Ireland are shambolic in breaking the gainline with their three-quarters or utilising the available width in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

CJ!!!!!! WTF is going on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

WOW that is a huge surprise

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That's mad.

Advertisement