Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wow

thats a shock and a huge blow to munster

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Disappointed to see CJ retiring. Has been a good player for us. I suppose his combative style of play has put a bit more mileage on the clock that he would have liked at this stage. Sounds from his statement that the bit of enjoyment you need is more or less gone. Hope he has a happy retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Mental, can't be overstated how much this guy has given to Irish rugby, an absolute hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

During the lockdown he was at home in SA on the farm. Maybe he just wants to move his family back hom,....best of luck to him in whatever he wants to do

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wow that's a bit of a shock. From reading his statement, just seems like he's putting his family first and heading back to SA. Fair enough I guess, people do it all the time in more normal jobs. All the best to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

sebdavis wrote: »
    During the lockdown he was at home in SA on the farm. Maybe he just wants to move his family back hom,....best of luck to him in whatever he wants to do

His statement alluded to as much. Can't begrudge that.

"I also knew I wanted my daughter Everli to grow up around her family in South Africa"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

A great warrior for Ireland. Think he played every minute of last years 6N. Will do much the same again this 6N. Body must be in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭A-Train

That's a massive shock but like everything at the moment Covid has forced a rethink of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wow that's a bit of a shock. From reading his statement, just seems like he's putting his family first and heading back to SA. Fair enough I guess, people do it all the time in more normal jobs. All the best to him.

That’s the thing supporters forget it is just a job to the players really and they need to do what’s right for themselves. Big decision when he could play several more years earning good money. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Quite shocked by that, only 30 too.

Nice words by CJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I can’t believe it! I loved CJ.
    He looked indestructible.
    Like everything I think he will only be truly appreciated when he’s no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

In fairness, it hasn't hurt Keenan.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

He definitely will be missed by Munster and Ireland.

Brave decision to step away now, as many players hang on for a few years at the end of their career to earn as much as they can. Perhaps the recent concussion cases brought and the way he plays the game was a factor too and fair play to him if he has chosen health over a few more years of rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Ah that's a huge disappointment. Very few players have consistently delivered as much as he has over the last five years.

Best of luck to him.

From the cynical viewpoint, it's as well that he's doing it now rather than a year from now, hopefully Doris gets back in the saddle after the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Like everything I think he will only be truly appreciated when he’s no longer there.

That's it exactly. I don't think many realise the hard work that man does during a rugby game. And it's smart work too. He is always alert to danger.
    His 2018 try against the posts against England in the snow on Paddy's day will always be a rugby highlight for me.
    I just hope he had a long healthy future, he took some punishment during his career.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To be honest, you can't but respect the decision and the statement. He's putting his family ahead of himself and I think most, if not all, of us will understand that. In many ways it probably speaks to who he is a whole. A decent guy. He'll be missed but I'm sure we'd all wish him nothing but the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Gutted to be honest, didn't see this coming. Will be a huge loss for province and country

He'll surely play in South Africa

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He'll surely play in South Africa

The place he's from is not really near any of their big sides. Assuming that's where he's going back to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Will go back and pick up a deal back in South Africa when covid blows over and the IRFU and fans forget him.

Big blow for Munster, not so much for Ireland with the emergence of Doris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

We're losing a top international backrow that we would have hoped to have with us for years to come. He has been a phenomenal servant to Irish rugby and a class act. Making a decision like that for a family reasons is completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Stander is a great example of a person not deemed as good enough back home, that uprooted and gave his all to make his dream come true.
    I'm not a fan of the project player system, but Stander has been nothing but a pleasure for Irish rugby fans. He gives it all for every play. Brute force and determination. An absolute joy to watch and easy to like.

About Lowe, the man cannot tackle! He really is dross defending wise. There's absolutely no point in covering over the cracks. He won't learn to tackle now at this stage of his career. His ability to score and make breaks is outstanding. But his weakness is too big to overlook.

If it's a choice between a turnstile that can score or a better overall player, I would select the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bit early for April Fools jokes, the Munster press officers must be going mad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Will go back and pick up a deal back in South Africa when covid blows over and the IRFU and fans forget him.

Stay classy, Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭boetstark

Niallof9 wrote: »

Big blow for Munster, not so much for Ireland with the emergence of Doris.

That was on the cards for a while. Huge family farm in George Eastern province. He could if he wanted get a 2 year contract with WP as we have lost Siya Kolisi.
    I suspect CJ will go back farming and his wife will practice as a lawyer

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

boetstark wrote: »
    That was on the cards for a while. Huge family farm in George Eastern province. He could if he wanted get a 2 year contract with WP as we have lost Siya Kolisi.
    I suspect CJ will go back farming and his wife will practice as a lawyer

WP play in Cape Town, no?

I think the reason he's retiring is that George is kind of stuck in the middle of the Stormers and the Sharks, right? Miles from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »

I think the reason he's retiring is that George is kind of stuck in the middle of the Stormers and the Sharks, right? Miles from both.

Just a casual 400km or so between the two, and WP are also on the brink of financial collapse with SA Rugby threatening to step in and take over the club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

aloooof wrote: »
    Stay classy, Niall.

Great servant for Ireland, i wish him all the best and have no issues with this. I'm not surprised. Its a huge flaw in the project system, and the human aspect. Also i wonder was money really there?

I don't mean forget as in a negative sense.

I mean if he did it immediately he would face criticism. so when it blows over he can move on.

Within 12 months i can see him play for the Bulls. and so what. but it makes sense.

So get out of it with your comments.

reading his tweets it seems its for good. But i suspect like Joe Schmidt we will see him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭boetstark

awec wrote: »

Only an hours flight, I would imagine Jean Marie would be practicing her profession in a city, PE maybe.
    Anyway best wishes to the guy whatever he does

Advertisement