Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    WP play in Cape Town, no?

I think the reason he's retiring is that George is kind of stuck in the middle of the Stormers and the Sharks, right? Miles from both.

about a 5 hr drive

the SWD eagles play in george... CJs brother played for them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Will go back and pick up a deal back in South Africa when covid blows over and the IRFU and fans forget him.

Big blow for Munster, not so much for Ireland with the emergence of Doris.

Utterly without class or merit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

OldRio wrote: »
    Utterly without class or merit.

get out of it. which part are you taking issue with here?

A great servant for Ireland but with the emergence of Doris, he won't be missed with Ireland.

He will most likely play again. Retiring is a good way of extracting himself from the situation. And what is wrong with that. Fair play to him.

He won't be forgotten by the faithful in Munster. Its more that when it all blows over, he will be able to make a decision again.

In short, i don;t see this as a permanent retirement. I'm sorry if that offends you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    WP play in Cape Town, no?

I think the reason he's retiring is that George is kind of stuck in the middle of the Stormers and the Sharks, right? Miles from both.

There's a Currie Cup team who play out of George. They're in the 1st Division (second tier). It would be like an Irish player retiring and playing AIL.

• Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

boetstark wrote: »
    Only an hours flight, I would imagine Jean Marie would be practicing her profession in a city, PE maybe.
    Anyway best wishes to the guy whatever he does

I would say he's made his money, he has a huge farm so no money worries going forward so just wants to settle and not be spending huge amounts of time away from his family. If his family farm happened to be in Stellenbosch or Durban or whatever then he'd be playing on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

He's retiring from professional all rugby, no?

yeah i forgot about George. yeah maybe its for good.

A fine fine player. A warrior of a man. Huge blow for Munster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

get out of it. which part are you taking issue with here?

A great servant for Ireland but with the emergence of Doris, he won't be missed with Ireland.

He will most likely play again. Retiring is a good way of extracting himself from the situation. And what is wrong with that. Fair play to him.

He won't be forgotten by the faithful in Munster. Its more that when it all blows over, he will be able to make a decision again.

In short, i don;t see this as a permanent retirement. I'm sorry if that offends you.

He's been an ever present since his emergence with Ireland and is only 30. Of course he'll be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Good luck to him and his family, never took a backwards step, very honest player and a gentleman. There is more to life than rugby.

aloooof wrote: »
    He's been an ever present since his emergence with Ireland and is only 30. Of course he'll be missed.

Yet Doris already overtook him.

but yeah he'll be missed you're right. that was a flippant comment by me.

he's loved by the squad and people etc. He's a warrior of a man.

Its just not the body blow of old, which is more testament to our new found depth and conveyor belt of talent. thats what i really mean.

best of luck to him, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Massive massive loss for Munster.

The greatest leader we had left imo and probably the best player currently if I was to pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

So, this weekends game against England is his farewell in an Irish shirt..
    If that's not going to ramp up the emotion for us all on the day, nothing will.
    Fully expect the team to win now tbh....can you just imagine POM's teamtalk before the game?!...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Can people be more selective with their quotes please and thank you?

Cutting negativity and unpleasantness out of my life is a full time job at times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Great servant for Ireland, i wish him all the best and have no issues with this. I'm not surprised. Its a huge flaw in the project system, and the human aspect. Also i wonder was money really there?

I don't mean forget as in a negative sense.

I mean if he did it immediately he would face criticism. so when it blows over he can move on.

Within 12 months i can see him play for the Bulls. and so what. but it makes sense.

So get out of it with your comments.

reading his tweets it seems its for good. But i suspect like Joe Schmidt we will see him again.

Oh shut up.

Oh shut up.

shut up for saying he could easily play again? and not saying that in any negative sense...

right...

I'm a massive fan of CJ Stander.

His initial few years in a Munster and Irish shirt, he was unreal. probably one of our best players. Since then he's been the most dogged and robust of all our options.

What will be seriously missed is that hardened edge and voice, and outsider mindset he brings to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Hate the project player rule myself but CJ was as close as anyone came to winning me over to it. Seems a real gent and has been a rock for Ireland for his time here. Big loss for Munster but with if Doris stays fit hopefully it won't be felt with Ireland.

I'd say he probably will play a year or 2 somewhere back home at some stage, nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

So, this weekends game against England is his farewell in an Irish shirt..
    If that's not going to ramp up the emotion for us all on the day, nothing will.
    Fully expect the team to win now tbh....can you just imagine POM's teamtalk before the game?!...

He has too much class to go for the 2 year 50 venue "Last game ever in/for" tour some players indulged in.

But it's a pity he won't get a farewell from the Ireland and Munster fans. I hope they bring him back to Thomond Park for a half time walk out when we all get back in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

shut up for saying he could easily play again?

right...

The fact that a fantastic servant to Irish rugby with 50 caps and a test Lion, and a Munster rugby legend has just retired. And the first thing you say is "oh he wont be a big loss" says a lot about you to be honest.

TRC10 wrote: »
    The fact that a fantastic servant to Irish rugby with 50 caps and a test Lion, and a Munster rugby legend has just retired. And the first thing you say is "oh he wont be a big loss" says a lot about you to be honest.

it saids nothing about anything. this is sport, alot worse has been written about him (wrongly) by people paid to talk rugby.

it was a flippant comment that was wrong.

I meant it as- its not a body blow as it was in the past.Doris already was looking like the number 8 to build the side around.

I've said its a huge blow for Musnter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sad to hear of CJs news

Will be very much missed

Best of luck to him for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

it was a flippant comment that was wrong.

I meant it as- its not a body blow as it was in the past.

I've said its a huge blow for Musnter.

Good Job, CJ stander just announced his retirement and you immediately succeeded in making the thread all about you. Thats impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

That's a shame. Has been a warrior for club and adopted country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Indo reporting he wasn't happy with the contract on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Will go back and pick up a deal back in South Africa when covid blows over and the IRFU and fans forget him.

Big blow for Munster, not so much for Ireland with the emergence of Doris.

Yeah sure, no worries for Ireland, changes nothing. Could have had a great impact option in the squad for the World Cup even if the starting role transitioned but losing that unexpectedly is no big deal at all.

Unlucky Munster though, how the cookie crumbles and all that. Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

CJ has been Ireland's best player for a number of years at this stage, the first name on the team sheet and it shows with how quickly he racked up 50 caps. An enormous loss of quality and experience that simply can't be replaced.

I really fear at what our RWC side will look like at this stage considering CJ, Sexton, Healy and Earls will all likely be retired at that stage and yet are still part of the spine of our team. Seems like difficult times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I guess these things don't happen in isolation. If the IRFU had made him an offer he couldn't refuse then that has to be taken into account by him when considering the impact on family vs setting that family up for the future.

Otherwise we are saying that CJ would have retired at 30 no matter the price offered which I doubt is true for many players even if family was the main reason for retiring. I don't think talking about money sullies his primary motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fredinho

Pretty classless of the Indo and Cian Tracey, to do something like that within an hour of CJ making the announcement and great to see people already jumping on it.

Stander has shown nothing but class in what he has said and done for Munster, Ireland and the Lions. Even if it is a case of they couldn't agree a new contract he hasn't made any mention of it so why is there any need to let it out that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Best of luck to him. Not a great time to be heading back to SA, for multiple reasons, hope he finds success and happiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

He was but declined out of loyalty to Munster and Ireland.

"The 50-times capped Ireland international is understood to have had other lucrative offers on the table, including from France, but he was not keen to play for another club"

If the Indo are correct then it's an absolute clownshow that they wasted money on a 36 year old Sexton while lowballing their most important player. You couldn't make it up!

Advertisement