Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

Indo reporting he wasn't happy with the contract on offer.

I wondered why BOD tweeted ‘well, that escalated quickly’ not sure if I’m reading it correctly but maybe he’d heard on the grapevine that CJ wasn’t impressed with the offer made.
    Can’t blame him for getting out healthy and hopefully staying that way, too many reminders of the price our heroes pay lately. Good luck and good health to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What a great man he is. Not just a fantastic player but obviously a man of great faith and of family. I'm sure I speak for most Ulster fans in saying he will be sorely missed in all corners of Ireland. He is rarely seen without a smile on his face. I wish him a wonderful future. Retirement is an exciting time in a person’s life. He has worked hard to build his career and can now step back and appreciate how far he has come to win a place in the regard, affection and support of every rugby fan on the island.. Not only is it a time for reflection, it’s also a time for him to look forward and spend time with the people he cares about, doing the things they love. I hope there is a mechanism for us to send him our best wishes. I am certain that a man who can do what he has done will succeed in any endeavour he chooses. U beliggaam harde werk en optimisme. Dankie dat u sulke vreugde in Ierse rugby gebring het. Ons sal jou mis!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Fredinho wrote: »
    Pretty classless of the Indo and Cian Tracey, to do something like that within an hour of CJ making the announcement and great to see people already jumping on it.

Stander has shown nothing but class in what he has said and done for Munster, Ireland and the Lions. Even if it is a case of they couldn't agree a new contract he hasn't made any mention of it so why is there any need to let it out that quickly.

He's in the newspaper industry, his job is to report on rugby dealings.

I think if it is a contract thing, its quite clear CJ will end up playing again even in 2 years time. He's too good a bloke to be pitching up in France or England. So it suits him and his family fair play to the man if the IRFU lowballed him.

Anybody and everybody would be using that article to rightly criticse the IRFU, not Stander.

there is absolutely nothing to criticise CJ with, so i don't think thats the Indo's angle.

He owes nobody anything. He up rooted his life to take a chance and help develop Irish rugby and put his body on the line. Fair play to him, whatever he wants to do is his own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Niallof9 wrote: »

Irrespective of whether he turned down a contract or not the man owes Ireland and Munster absolutely nothing. He was an absolute giant in that 8 shirt for the better part of a decade. I say that as someone who is pretty sceptical about the project player system in general. He is easily the biggest PP success story we have had and his commitment and passion in a green jersey could never be called into question. An ever-present in the 2018 team, and how long will it be before we see another XV reach those heights for Ireland?

So what if the guy choses to play on for a few more years in SA? He has relocated his family in order to pursue his career and now as he reaches the end is choosing to put them first. Highly commendable stuff and a testament to the man's character. His statement was pure class.

Best of luck, CJ, is what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Downlinz wrote: »
    He was but declined out of loyalty to Munster and Ireland.

"The 50-times capped Ireland international is understood to have had other lucrative offers on the table, including from France, but he was not keen to play for another club"

If the Indo are correct then it's an absolute clownshow that they wasted money on a 36 year old Sexton while lowballing their most important player. You couldn't make it up!

What an absolute dick comment to make. Funny that you didn't say anything about "wasting money" on POM or Earls. Sexton had absolutely nothing to do with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think if it is a contract thing, its quite clear CJ will end up playing again even in 2 years time.

In two years time he'll be 33 and he doesn't need the money. He's capped by Ireland so his value in SA is diminished.

I'm 100% confident he's done.

Refusing a contract offer and being 'unhappy' with a contract offer can be conflated but they are very different things. There's absolutely no way the IRFU would lowball a player like him. He's been an international starter for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

What an absolute dick comment to make. Funny that you didn't say anything about "wasting money" on POM or Earls. Sexton had absolutely nothing to do with this.
    After Sexton winning a game for us at the weekend no less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

POM is 31 and will play in the next world cup.

Earls and Healy were also luxury contracts we could have survived without although Sexton is unquestionably the most expensive of that trio and also the oldest and most injury prone. It was a terrible wasteful move to offer him a new contract even if the union was swimming in cash. To lose one of the pillars of the team in the process is simply laughable. It will go down as one of the IRFU's greatest ever blunders.

That is presuming the Indo aren't just pushing clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Some Yoke wrote: »
    After Sexton winning a game for us at the weekend no less

A game that matters for nothing against a team we've beaten 18 of the last 21 times. If we had a 10 with any kind of mobility or break threat who could actually get our backline moving more than once in a blue moon we might not be struggling so much against teams we used to beat comfortably.

In two years time he'll be 33 and he doesn't need the money. He's capped by Ireland so his value in SA is diminished.

I'm 100% confident he's done.

Refusing a contract offer and being 'unhappy' with a contract offer can be conflated but they are very different things. There's absolutely no way the IRFU would lowball a player like him. He's been an international starter for years.

yeah true. I wonder was it a case that he'd have a figure in his head and say look if they said yes i'll keep going. And he kind of always knew they wouldn't. like the 600k plus mark.

Its hard to argue with any of the renewals due to the current situation. would be completely wrong to cut any of these guys in this surreal year. they all gave their best years of health and lives for irish rugby. Including CJ

Of course his health could be another consideration. he's involved in huge collisions.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know who I blame. :)

I have placards, stickers and t-shirts if any of you want one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A game that matters for nothing against a team we've beaten 18 of the last 21 times.

Sexton pretty much earned the irfu 500k last Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    I know who I blame. :)

I have placards, stickers and t-shirts if any of you want one.

Bit mad to blame this on Frank Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Earls and Healy were also luxury contracts we could have survived without although Sexton is unquestionably the most expensive of that trio and also the oldest and most injury prone. It was a terrible wasteful move to offer him a new contract even if the union was swimming in cash. To lose one of the pillars of the team in the process is simply laughable. It will go down as one of the IRFU's greatest ever blunders.

Refusing a contract offer and being 'unhappy' with a contract offer are very different things but easy to conflate.

I'm quite confident that this wasn't bungled by the IRFU. Stander is/was a key international starter and would have been a priority to retain.

We all like to reach for conspiracy and controversy but the most likely explanation is CJ was done with rugby and living in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Happy retirement CJ, opens the door now to several young players in the backrow so onwards and upwards. In terms of world Cup prep may not be such a bad thing for Ireland. Best of luck to him and family.

Just hope he doesn't have his best ever performance V Leinster in the Pro 14 final but no doubt he will bust a gut....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Your assumption that the two are connected is pretty tenuous.

If Sexton had retired, it doesn't follow that there's a bigger pile of cash for Stander. That's now how it works.

This is the same mental defect that had people blaming Jamie Heaslip for Donnacha Ryan wanting to leave Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I see we've swung from "he won't be missed" to "they gave Heaslip a contract what about Ryan!!!!" territory.

Would ignore that the Indo rag.......CJ made a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Honestly calling him the best or most important player in the team is looking for a reaction as much as the "he's no loss" comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I’m in complete shock about CJ’a decision, so much so I literally checked to see if it was a very cruel April fools joke. I’m glad he’s atleast going out swinging as he’s arguably been Ireland’s most consistent player since the RWC, hope he gets to end his career on a Lions tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

A very good player who will be greatly missed.

Most important player in the team is a fair bit of a stretch, especially considering the depth in the back-row

Honestly calling him the best or most important player in the team is looking for a reaction as much as the "he's no loss" comments

Neither is true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

ujjjjjjjjj wrote: »
    Neither is true.....

Totally agree. Most consistent, player or most reliable definitely a good shout and a big loss because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

He isn’t the most important but he’s definitely he most consistent, you always know he’s going to be in the top 5 performers for Ireland every game which is reassuring when you are a team mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Will go back and pick up a deal back in South Africa when covid blows over and the IRFU and fans forget him.

Big blow for Munster, not so much for Ireland with the emergence of Doris.

Jeepers, you and the other guy who opened the CJ "appreciation" thread live miserable lives.

I think Stander has been a model of professionalism myself and more than worthy of his Munster and Irish caps.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Jeepers, you and the other guy who opened the CJ "appreciation" thread live miserable lives.

I think Stander has been a model of professionalism myself and more than worthy of his Munster and Irish caps.

since when is personal abuse allowed on this thread?

i totally agree with your last statement so not sure what your problem is. the forget him was a flippant comment wrote in a meeting. its in no way meant to be how it comes across. I believe when it all blows over CJ will play again and because he will be out of sight out of mind, there won;t be any outrage or sullying of his memory. the man is a legend and he can do whatever he wants. if he did go play in SA, fair ****s to him.

this interview hints at this news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=jIwdct-_5LI&t=27s

• Registered Users Posts: 20,234 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wonder if one of the Leinster lads will look to go to Munster to fight Coombes for the 8 jersey. Conan, Doris, Soroka, Deegan, even Penny,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Refusing a contract offer and being 'unhappy' with a contract offer are very different things but easy to conflate.

I'm quite confident that this wasn't bungled by the IRFU. Stander is/was a key international starter and would have been a priority to retain.

We all like to reach for conspiracy and controversy but the most likely explanation is CJ was done with rugby and living in Ireland.

Absolutely, I have no doubt this is the case. He wants to go home and raise his family in South Africa and go back on the farm. His faith has always been important to him. He is financially comfortable and will farm away. Farming is the best way of life if it wasn’t for the financial pressures it brings on some. He won’t have these concerns. It wouldn’t have mattered if the IRFU made him their highest earner, he has made his decision. An absolute thorough gentleman and he will be sadly missed by true Irish rugby fans. I chatted to him many times over the years. I wish him and his family all the happiness in the world. A legend of a man, and I say this as a Wicklow man.

So, this weekends game against England is his farewell in an Irish shirt..
    If that's not going to ramp up the emotion for us all on the day, nothing will.
    Fully expect the team to win now tbh....can you just imagine POM's teamtalk before the game?!...

I hope it starts with something about not giving away stupid red cards

• Advertisement

Andy Farrell on CJ Stander:

“It’s a difficult one to put into words because I couldn’t say
    enough about the bloke.

"He is the most genuine bloke you could ever meet.

“How he acts on a daily basis and genuinely cares for people is exactly how he plays for the team."

Advertisement