Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Andy Farrell on CJ Stander:

“It’s a difficult one to put into words because I couldn’t say
    enough about the bloke.

"He is the most genuine bloke you could ever meet.

“How he acts on a daily basis and genuinely cares for people is exactly how he plays for the team."

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    I know who I blame. :)

I have placards, stickers and t-shirts if any of you want one.

Pienaar?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Movementarian

One thing is for sure, this is James Lowe's fault. Pretty sure he missed the tackle on CJ's contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surprised at this news today, but good luck to the guy. He has been a great servant to Ireland and Munster and I hope he finishes with a bang this weekend for Ireland and goes and gets a Lions tour as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    And the content.

What was it originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Honestly calling him the best or most important player in the team is looking for a reaction as much as the "he's no loss" comments

He is somewhere in the middle. A fine player, who delivered a lot for Ireland and Münster. Certainly still had another couple of years in him.
    Decent guy I'd say too, so we wish him well.
    Ireland backrow even post Ständer and with POM a fading force at best, still has a decent pipeline of good prospects. Probably of a Ständer quality in general - a peg below the Heaslip, Ferris, O'Brien level we might hope for though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,802 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    What was it originally?

"CJ Stander unhappy with IRFU contract offer as he announces shock retirement at end of season"

Sounds like the IRFU have been on the phone to the Indo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

bilston wrote: »
    Surprised at this news today, but good luck to the guy. He has been a great servant to Ireland and Munster and I hope he finishes with a bang this weekend for Ireland and goes and gets a Lions tour as well.

Is he not retiring in June? Kind of rules him out of the Lions tour possibly.

Would be nice if he got picked and bought a one way ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I see a few posters speculating on him playing again in RSA. Wouldn't that have some repercussions on his tax in Ireland? I remember reading that when players retire in Ireland that get a massive tax rebate. But if they play again overseas, they have to pay it back. That was why the likes of Cullen, Howlett and Nacewa all retired in Ireland.
    Note: I could be completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    "CJ Stander unhappy with IRFU contract offer as he announces shock retirement at end of season"

Sounds like the IRFU have been on the phone to the Indo. :)

Yep you can see now they've added that the IRFU denies any claims that he was unhappy with negotiations. Changed the tone altogether of how it was originally portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

He is somewhere in the middle. A fine player, who delivered a lot for Ireland and Münster. Certainly still had another couple of years in him.
    Decent guy I'd say too, so we wish him well.
    Ireland backrow even post Ständer and with POM a fading force at best, still has a decent pipeline of good prospects. Probably of a Ständer quality in general - a peg below the Heaslip, Ferris, O'Brien level we might hope for though.

Doris and Leavy (if he can play as he did pre injury) have potential to be as good as any of those 3 maybe even Penny but would like to see him get an appearance for Ireland and judge from there

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I see a few posters speculating on him playing again in RSA. Wouldn't that have some repercussions on his tax in Ireland? I remember reading that when players retire in Ireland that get a massive tax rebate. But if they play again overseas, they have to pay it back. That was why the likes of Cullen, Howlett and Nacewa all retired in Ireland.
    I thought they had to play for 10 years straight in Ireland. CJ is here 8 or 9 I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Yeah_Right wrote: »

I have a vague memory that they changed this a few years ago, but not 100% sure. (Possibly was mentioned about the time Donnacha Ryan went to Racing, the change giving him more leeway).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I thought they had to play for 10 years straight in Ireland. CJ is here 8 or 9 I think.

No, you can claim the rebate for up to 10 years of income tax (i.e. even if your career was 15 years, you only get relief for your most lucrative 10).

Big cheque in the post for CJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

aloooof wrote: »
    I have a vague memory that they changed this a few years ago, but not 100% sure. (Possibly was mentioned about the time Donnacha Ryan went to Racing, the change giving him more leeway).

Think the change was that they could retire in another EU country once they had the 10 years (so they wouldn't have to return back to Ireland).

That's why POC and Ryan headed off into the sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Think the change was that they could retire in another EU country once they had the 10 years (so they wouldn't have to return back to Ireland).

That's why POC and Ryan headed off into the sunset

i thought they had to retire in the EU. Hence why Kearney has to come back and play for a year in Europe.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i thought they had to retire in the EU. Hence why Kearney has to come back and play for a year in Europe.

He has?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    He has?

Yep. That World Cup isn't going to win itself.

• Advertisement

He has?

thats what i read at the time he left.

Under a scheme introduced in 2002 by then finance minister Charlie McCreevy, professional sports people across any code could reclaim 40 per cent of the tax paid on earnings from the best 10 years of their careers so long as they were tax resident in Ireland when making the claim.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And what makes you think he hasn't already made his back claim?

He spent 15 years at leinster

He could have. I could be completely wrong.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/companies/sports-stars-to-benefit-from-tax-change-1.1572370

Under an amendment to the scheme published yesterday as part of the Finance Bill, a sportsperson may claim the relief if they are resident in an EEA or EFTA country at the time of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

CJ will need a few quid to buy a few new cattle!

But he hasn't retired?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

thats what i read at the time he left.

Under a scheme introduced in 2002 by then finance minister Charlie McCreevy, professional sports people across any code could reclaim 40 per cent of the tax paid on earnings from the best 10 years of their careers so long as they were tax resident in Ireland when making the claim.
    This is a nonsense anyway ..... they should stump up their tax just like the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

This is a nonsense anyway ..... they should stump up their tax just like the rest of us!

Its not and they do "stump up" their tax like the rest of us!!
    It keeps many in Ireland who otherwise may not

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Keeping those players in Ireland keeps ticket sales high and the VAT receipts coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

They do "stump up their tax"
    This was put in place to allow the provinces to compete and keep players in Ireland. The alternative was these players move to other countries and earn plenty of money and pay tax in those countries.

How much tax is made for every game in the Aviva? or every game in Europe with full stadiums.

Advertisement