Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think there's any doubt that POM will be starting. Very little chance of Baird getting the nod, nor should he really. He has a great impact from the bench and is still getting up to speed.

It's a straight call between POM and Conan. With Ryan out, it makes far more sense to bring in an experienced member of the leadership group who offers a strong threat in the line out on both sides of possession. Good to see that the usual narrative remains on here though; many people simply cannot praise or advocate for a player without having to sh*t on another. Both Conan and POM are excellent players. POM is a far more proven performer at test level though and his presence in the team leads to less disruption in the line up and/or tactics. Conan has always been a very solid performer for Ireland and gone well against tier 1 teams when called upon.

If Ryan was available, there'd be a better chance of Conan being retained on the bench and POM not making the 23 but with Ryan out, it makes far more sense to bring POM directly into the line up.

I'd consider the fact that POM has just 13 mins of rugby in 8 or 9 weeks a fairly big risk myself. I can appreciate the reasons for including him but I might edge towards Stander, Connors & Conan with POM on the bench purely because Conan actually has recent minutes under his belt. He's played more in the last week than POM has in the last 2 months. I also think from a ball carrying perspective someone like Conan gives us better balance and more options.

That said, as you mentioned, he isn't the proven performer at this level, doesn't have the leadership and doesn't bring the line out option. So there's pros and cons for each call. I'm not sure there's any need to get too worked up one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

TRC10 wrote: »
    This post is sponsored by Jamie Heaslip

Well they'd be different scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This post is sponsored by Jamie Heaslip

Nice one. If Sexton suffers a career-ending injury at the weekend, you can come back and gloat about it.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Nice one. If Sexton suffers a career-ending injury at the weekend, you can come back and gloat about it.

FFS.

Oh lighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

kilns wrote: »
    He is regressing though but is still our best 10, we need to find a solution and quick

My opinion is that he is no longer the best 10. But park that.

The solution is an obvious one IF Carbery remains fit.
    I would hope that Ireland will be entering into next years 6N with Carbery been given the lead role in Nov & Harry his understudy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

FFS.

To be fair, it was just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Oh lighten up

Lol, you've been on a rant about anything and everything all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I know we're all upset about a possible Welsh grand slam, but is it me or is everyone more cranky than usual for a 6N period?

I'm going for a nap. Could be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I know we're all upset about a possible Welsh grand slam, but it's it me or is everyone more cranky than usual for a 6N period?

Shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ardillaun wrote: »
    He’s going out at the top which I’m sure more would like to have done in retrospect. Have the boards boffins put together a highlight reel yet? Thanks so much, CJ, and alles van die beste.

Al die beste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I know we're all upset about a possible Welsh grand slam, but it's it me or is everyone more cranky than usual for a 6N period?

The Welsh GS is all POMs fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

100%. Used to be a bit of rumours or inside info or theories, now mostly salt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Some Yoke wrote: »
    100%. Used to be a bit of rumours or inside info or theories, now mostly salt here.

To be absolutely fair it’s a small minority bring salty it’s just they are posting enough to make it seem like everyone is at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Lol, you've been on a rant about anything and everything all morning.

Care to elaborate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

My opinion is that he is no longer the best 10. But park that.

The solution is an obvious one IF Carbery remains fit.
    I would hope that Ireland will be entering into next years 6N with Carbery been given the lead role in Nov & Harry his understudy.

I know you said park it, ionad, but indulge me. :)

I'd disagree strongly, tbh. I understood all the calls for Harry Byrne, Ross, Carty, Burns to start ahead of him, from a medium-term / planning perspective.

But if we're talking current performance levels, I think Sexton is the clear best from those listed I've listed. And I don't think it's even particularly close, tbh.

Totally agree on your final point tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

errlloyd wrote: »
    OT: But would you rather be Ben Warburton or Ben Curry?

Accomplished rugby player, but nowhere near as good as your identical twin who is one of the best in the world.

Or never even really tried rugby, but your identical twin was one of the best in the world.

Probably Warburton. You wouldn't be constantly compared to your twin and have the expectations because of your twin, he's gone and forged his own route and made his own career outside of rugby. I'd say most don't even know Sam has a twin.

Curry on the other hand, even though he's a good player in his own right, will probably always be known as Tom's twin who also played rugby.

Probably Warburton. You wouldn't be constantly compared to your twin and have the expectations because of your twin, he's gone and forged his own route and made his own career outside of rugby. I'd say most don't even know Sam has a twin.

Curry on the other hand, even though he's a good player in his own right, will probably always be known as Tom's twin who also played rugby.

Doesn’t James Ryan have an identical twin too? Or did I imagine it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

salmocab wrote: »
    Doesn’t James Ryan have an identical twin too? Or did I imagine it

Has a twin, not identical. Think he was a very talented player as well but had some awful injuries.

Has a twin, not identical. Think he was a very talented player as well but had some awful injuries.

Cheers I had a vague memory of something alright.

To pass the time until arguments break out who will be Irish lions this year.

My prediction is

Furlong
    Ryan
    Henderson
    Beirne
    Henshaw

I can't see anyone else getting a look in which is sad reflection on our current state

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I wonder why they're waiting until three today - something seems amiss.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

usually a sign of giving an injured player every chance

To pass the time until arguments break out who will be Irish lions this year.

My prediction is

Furlong
    Ryan
    Henderson
    Beirne
    Henshaw

I can't see anyone else getting a look in which is sad reflection on our current state

Possibility of Stander, Porter, Ringrose

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Post paddy's day hangover

Possibility of Stander, Porter, Ringrose

With Standers announcement I wonder will it affect it

Porter yes I forgot him, he could well go

Ringrose I think is underappreciated outside of Ireland but his performance against Scotland has done nothing to improve his chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Ringrose I think is underappreciated outside of Ireland but his performance against Scotland has done nothing to improve his chances

Even with Ireland losing the first 2 games in 6 nations a lot of the English/Welsh press etc had Ringrose as starting 13 for Lions.

sebdavis wrote: »
    Even with Ireland losing the first 2 games in 6 nations a lot of the English/Welsh press etc had Ringrose as starting 13 for Lions.

True, it's actually a position lacking a standout for the lions considering north is currently there for Wales and Slade for England (now Daly)

It will only enhance it I reckon.

A player wanting a last hurrah against his birth country would add a lot of value IMO.

He's performing as well as he did 4 years ago and Gatland clearly rates him.

He's also out performing his home nations peers except possibly Fagerson but I think he's a better player than Fagerson.

Hopefully Ringrose can shake off his ankle injury and string together some performances at the end of the season.

But I think given the size of a squad the Lions is, you'd be mad to leave a player like Garry off.

It will only enhance it I reckon.

A player wanting a last hurrah against his birth country would add a lot of value IMO.

He's performing as well as he did 4 years ago and Gatland clearly rates him.

He's also out performing his home nations peers except possibly Fagerson but I think he's a better player than Fagerson.

Hopefully Ringrose can shake off his ankle injury and string together some performances at the end of the season.

But I think given the size of a squad the Lions is, you'd be mad to leave a player like Garry off.

It would be interesting if Sexton goes actually too, despite not being good as he washer is still better than Biggar and I'd rather him ahead of Ford. Russel and Farrell are certs

• Advertisement

It would be interesting if Sexton goes actually too, despite not being good as he washer is still better than Biggar and I'd rather him ahead of Ford. Russel and Farrell are certs

Gatland has the benefit of not needing to select for the future.

You'd get very good odds on Sexton touring I reckon.

Ford is probably the most complete 10 out of the home nations aside from defence. Which is unfortunate as.... you know... South Africa lol.

Agree with you of Russell and Farrell as certs - even if Finn is too much of a liability.

Coin flip between Johnny and Ford. Sexton still has the physicality

Advertisement